Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  90 91 [92] 93 94   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/22/2018 3:49:56 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

Britannia on HBO. Series on its own is good, why they went the fantasy way I do not understand however.
warspite1

Not sure about this so I've recorded it to watch over the weekend. Hoping its a good one.....

warspite1

Well I watched it. Not massively impressed but then it was okay - and only episode 1 = and it deserves more of a chance than that. I'll defo tune into episode 2.

The show is not bad, but to me it would have been better if they had not gone so far with the druids. No need to make them like they did, also not a huge fan of how the Roman soldiers appears like supermen compared to those they are up against.
Sure, the Roman Kohorts were good fighting formations, but in this show I feel the individual Roman soldier comes off as too superior compared to the British tribesmen.

The acting performances are varied, some really good ones, some meh. Budget wise it seems to have been given a proper one.

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2731
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/22/2018 6:04:38 PM   
warspite1

Off to see Disney Pixar's Coco at the weekend - has positive reviews - so after the disappointment of The Good Dinosaur, hopefully this is a welcome return to form for the stable.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/22/2018 6:23:32 PM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 2732
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/23/2018 5:47:20 AM   
Pvt_Grunt

Godless
Broadchurch Season 2
Midnight Sun (Swedish) Highly Recommended.
X-Files Season 11 (for old time sake)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2733
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/24/2018 11:47:26 AM   
nicwb

[quoteORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

quote:

Britannia on HBO. Series on its own is good, why they went the fantasy way I do not understand however.
warspite1

Not sure about this so I've recorded it to watch over the weekend. Hoping its a good one.....

warspite1

Well I watched it. Not massively impressed but then it was okay - and only episode 1 = and it deserves more of a chance than that. I'll defo tune into episode 2.

The show is not bad, but to me it would have been better if they had not gone so far with the druids. No need to make them like they did, also not a huge fan of how the Roman soldiers appears like supermen compared to those they are up against.
Sure, the Roman Kohorts were good fighting formations, but in this show I feel the individual Roman soldier comes off as too superior compared to the British tribesmen.

The acting performances are varied, some really good ones, some meh. Budget wise it seems to have been given a proper one.
][/quote]

I just watched Britannia - I see what you mean. Very odd - I must admit I was hoping for something a little more historical like the series "Rome". But that bit with Caesar turning tail because of the druids is stretching the truth more than a little. AS for Roman "super soldiers" well I guess that was to offset the storyline of magical druids. After all we know how the story ends- Britain becomes a Roman province and Aulus its first governor.

(in reply to Pvt_Grunt)
Post #: 2734
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/4/2018 10:11:06 AM   
luckyjack

I'm watching Westworld and Mr. Robot
both awesome

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 2735
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/9/2018 10:23:33 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

warspite1

Sadly I lasted about 5 minutes in of episode 2 and decided this is not for me. The last straw was The Hound/Arya road trip.....

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 2736
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/17/2018 1:59:14 PM   
warspite1

The King's Choice about King Haakon's refusal to accept the government of Quisling in April 1940. A pretty good film, but a little slow.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2737
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/17/2018 7:02:34 PM   
RFalvo69

I just finished Altered Carbon, on Netflix. The visuals are breathtaking (they basically robbed Blade Runner and its sequel, with a budget worth of a movie). The story, however, is a bit 'meh'. I felt that they could do much more with the starting material; instead, after around the fourth episode they started meandering. The show's plot has a resolution, but of the "Let's decide who did what" kind - not as the logical result of the events as presented.

The San Francisco "a la Blade Runner", however, is worth every frame - from the gutters to the impossibly tall skyscrapers.

Now I think I'll watch "Dark": many friends recommended it.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2738
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/17/2018 8:38:53 PM   
fritzjoel

Ken Burns Vietnam

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 2739
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/18/2018 4:22:01 AM   
warspite1

Baywatch. It was okay - but could have been better.

(in reply to fritzjoel)
Post #: 2740
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/21/2018 2:52:02 AM   
nicwb

quote:

Don't tell me you were watching it for the storyline?

In similar vein I finally got around to watching "Fury" - well I guess that's something I won't have to do again. I can accept artistic licence for the sake of the movies' theme but I had a really difficult time discerning any particular theme.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2741
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/21/2018 4:31:38 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: nicwb

quote:

warspite1

Yes, the trailer suggested it was going to be a very funny, tongue firmly in cheek version of a pretty tongue in cheek program. The idea was good and it certainly had its moments, but some of the situations were just puerile. Gross out movies can be funny - but some writers don't seem to understand the difference between funny and silly.

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 2742
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/21/2018 7:49:44 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Yes, the trailer suggested it was going to be a very funny, tongue firmly in cheek version of a pretty tongue in cheek program. The idea was good and it certainly had its moments, but some of the situations were just puerile. Gross out movies can be funny - but some writers don't seem to understand the difference between funny and silly.

Somewhere a marketing person is smiling.
There are Trailer companies in Hollywood. They make trailers for forthcoming films. That's all they do. My friend's daughter works for one.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2743
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/22/2018 3:46:55 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

In similar vein I finally got around to watching "Fury" - well I guess that's something I won't have to do again. I can accept artistic licence for the sake of the movies' theme but I had a really difficult time discerning any particular theme.

I liked "Fury" a lot - and I accepted the "cut down" engagement distances because they helped the viewer to better understand the commanders' choices and the tactics employed.

Re: the theme, my take is that it is the same you can find in "Das Boot" (even if "Das Boot" is a far superior movie): camaraderie and the need to become an organic fightning unit, in the face of a death that can very well materialise just like that.

A lot of people didn't like "Fury" (many of them because they do know better, thanks to the fact that they do fanatically play Advanced Squad Leader and nothing else ). To each his own, I guess.

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 2744
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/22/2018 4:07:49 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Off to see Disney Pixar's Coco at the weekend - has positive reviews - so after the disappointment of The Good Dinosaur, hopefully this is a welcome return to form for the stable.

FWIW, this movie has been getting very good reviews from the Latino community here. Disney has been doing a good job lately treading a fine line between film making sensitive cultural subject (such as Moana and this) and 'whitewashing' or dumbing down cultural history.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2745
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/22/2018 4:12:56 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Just begun re-watching The West Wing.

Wife unit Mark 1 mod 0 really got into this series for the first few years. I watched to humor her. The first couple years weren't too awful. It went downhill after about year 3 when they started treating Republicans as outrageous buffoons with no beneficial policies or rationale for their existence and all-things-Democrat-West-Wing as Supersmart quipsters that are always right.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2746
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/22/2018 11:12:26 PM   
aaatoysandmore

Been watching MASH and the hisory of the Korean war.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2747
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/23/2018 6:31:59 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

FWIW, this movie has been getting very good reviews from the Latino community here. Disney has been doing a good job lately treading a fine line between film making sensitive cultural subject (such as Moana and this) and 'whitewashing' or dumbing down cultural history.
warspite1

A few things came up and we didn't get to go in the end. We may now wait for it to appear on DvD. However, we did go to see the Hip-Hop stage show Hamilton. We went as a belated present for my elder warspite and (interesting concept though it may be) but I really wasn't expecting much to be honest, but she was soooo keen to see it, so.....

However I have to say that this was a very, very enjoyable, highly imaginative, show. It was very slick, very polished and the acting, singing and dancing were all top rate. The story was fast paced and so moved along nicely and the words were largely nice and clear - even for an old codger like me. The lyrics were very cleverly put together too - faint traces of Eminem in a couple of parts. The actor playing Lafeyette/Thomas Jefferson was very watchable, but the show stealer without doubt was King George III. With a performance that bordered on - but never tipped over into - camp, he appeared I think four times in all and easily got the biggest laughs of the night. A nice little delve into history too - I'd never heard of this founding father before.....

Summary 3 hours very well spent

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 2/23/2018 6:38:10 AM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2748
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/23/2018 9:56:32 AM   
Lord Baldy

Only seem to watch stuff on tv via YouTube nowadays, cancelled Netflix as wasn't using it, last thing I saw on terrestrial tv was Euro 2016, keep an eye on the news and sports via apps on my phone, and my dvd collection is currently gathering dust.

YouTube is quite a treasure trove of old stuff, watched Blake's 7 recently, plenty of B movie black and white sci-fi available as well which I like, don't particularly like modern sci-fi.

I'm not that into high culture entertainment to be honest.

Witty signature required, please apply within...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2749
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/23/2018 10:30:20 AM   
nicwb

quote:

[I liked "Fury" a lot - and I accepted the "cut down" engagement distances because they helped the viewer to better understand the commanders' choices and the tactics employed.

Re: the theme, my take is that it is the same you can find in "Das Boot" (even if "Das Boot" is a far superior movie): camaraderie and the need to become an organic fightning unit, in the face of a death that can very well materialise just like that.

A lot of people didn't like "Fury" (many of them because they do know better, thanks to the fact that they do fanatically play Advanced Squad Leader and nothing else ). To each his own, I guess.
/quote]

RFalvo, I certainly agree that "Das Boot" was a better movie. And as I say I can accept a bit of artistic licence on reality to make a point.

I just found that "Fury" tended to bury whatever it had behind a ridiculously over the top ending. "Lone damaged US tank with psychologically damaged crew singlehandedly hold off battalion of die hard SS" - they did exactly the same ending in "Saving Private Ryan" (just without the tank). And in effect they ruined what could have been better movies by insisting on "superheroics".

quote:

I just finished Altered Carbon, on Netflix. The visuals are breathtaking (they basically robbed Blade Runner and its sequel, with a budget worth of a movie). The story, however, is a bit 'meh'. I felt that they could do much more with the starting material; instead, after around the fourth episode they started meandering. The show's plot has a resolution, but of the "Let's decide who did what" kind - not as the logical result of the events as presented.

The San Francisco "a la Blade Runner", however, is worth every frame - from the gutters to the impossibly tall skyscrapers.

Disappointed to hear the story is a bit "meh" - I really enjoyed the series of books the series is based on.

(in reply to Lord Baldy)
Post #: 2750
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/23/2018 10:07:47 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

RFalvo, I certainly agree that "Das Boot" was a better movie. And as I say I can accept a bit of artistic licence on reality to make a point.

I just found that "Fury" tended to bury whatever it had behind a ridiculously over the top ending. "Lone damaged US tank with psychologically damaged crew singlehandedly hold off battalion of die hard SS" - they did exactly the same ending in "Saving Private Ryan" (just without the tank). And in effect they ruined what could have been better movies by insisting on "superheroics".

According to Stephen Ambrose (as told in his book "Death Traps") in real life a lone soldier was able to pull the same stunt, repelling scores of Germans for a whole night. The name of the soldier, however, is not given in that book.

quote:

Disappointed to hear the story is a bit "meh" - I really enjoyed the series of books the series is based on.

The show only covers the first book. I haven't read it, so maybe is better. I also read that each book is self-contained and tells a different story, so I'm considering to buy the trilogy on Kindle.

Anyway, I wasn't bored at all by Netflix's adaptation: the world-building is beyond anything else out now. You never have the feeling that "OK, this is a set with a CGI background". Even the sheer number of places that the show "visits" is amazing. You really get the idea that you are in a living, breathing future - and, IMHO, the trip is worth the time (if you like cyberpunk). Also, the show reaches some fine highs. The problem is that I got the impression of the screenwriters meeting in a room and saying "Pals, we are at Episode 9... we MUST put together an ending!"

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 2751
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/23/2018 10:42:04 PM   
UP844

I have just bought "Fury" in DVD just to see a "live" Tiger, but in my opinion it is one of the worst war movies I ever saw.

Perhaps tracers looking like lightsabers or a tank spotting a camouflaged AT gun first and killing it with its first shot or the top view of the Tiger and the Sherman turning circles like they were in World of Tanks can only be noticed by die-hard ASL players (yes, I'm one). Perhaps.

But when Germans carrying lots of Panzerfausts (as they should this late in the war) forget them and start a banzai charge in the open against Brad Pitt (who will never be Lee Marvin ) and his tank, my wife (who cannot tell a Tiger from a Panzer II) whispered "Why the Germans don't use their rocket launchers? They could easily run around the house and destroy the tank! Are they utter idiots?".

Not even in the old Hollywood movies from the '50s the German were so stupid.

What really made me angry (or better "furious") was the historical accuracy of vehicles and equipment was really good, wasted for such a bad movie!

Chasing Germans in the moonlight is no mean sport

Siegfried Sassoon

Long Range Fire (A7.22)........1/2 FP

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 2752
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/24/2018 12:58:45 AM   
nicwb

quote:

uote:

According to Stephen Ambrose (as told in his book "Death Traps") in real life a lone soldier was able to pull the same stunt, repelling scores of Germans for a whole night. The name of the soldier, however, is not given in that book.

I don't say it hasn't happened more to the effect that it was the exception rather than the rule. The only equivalent event I'm aware of was the action that got Audie Murphy his Congressional Medal of Honour. pretty much as I say exceptional.

quote:

But when Germans carrying lots of Panzerfausts (as they should this late in the war) forget them and start a banzai charge in the open against Brad Pitt (who will never be Lee Marvin ) and his tank, my wife (who cannot tell a Tiger from a Panzer II) whispered "Why the Germans don't use their rocket launchers? They could easily run around the house and destroy the tank! Are they utter idiots?".

Only in Hollywood movies ... plus the Germans were supposedly a trained SS battalion - I tried to put that down to just "artistic licence"

(in reply to UP844)
Post #: 2753
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/27/2018 9:29:05 AM   
Zecke

The apprentize¡ of Toryyama working (sory for my INGLISH); fantastic serie Dragon; Fantastis...

< Message edited by Zecke -- 2/27/2018 10:01:22 AM >

Epsilon Eridani

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 2754
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/27/2018 9:47:28 AM   
Zecke

waps..

< Message edited by Zecke -- 2/27/2018 10:05:43 AM >

Epsilon Eridani

(in reply to Zecke)
Post #: 2755
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/27/2018 6:11:14 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: UP844

I have just bought "Fury" in DVD just to see a "live" Tiger, but in my opinion it is one of the worst war movies I ever saw.

Perhaps tracers looking like lightsabers or a tank spotting a camouflaged AT gun first and killing it with its first shot or the top view of the Tiger and the Sherman turning circles like they were in World of Tanks can only be noticed by die-hard ASL players (yes, I'm one). Perhaps.

What really made me angry (or better "furious") was the historical accuracy of vehicles and equipment was really good, wasted for such a bad movie!

No no nope. If you think Fury was bad, clearly-CLEARLY you have not seen: USS Indianapolis: Men of Courage. I couldn't even watch all of that one.

Re: Fury: I was 'meh' on it. Yeah, some of the special effects and tactical oversights bugged me, but they weren't movie-killing experiences. Kind of like Dunkirk I guess. Am I going to really get hung up about the seemingly infinite ammunition that Hardy's Spitfire had and how its flight trim out of fuel was totally unrealistic?

So with all the Experten () that roll their eyes about this or that outcome of Fury, think about the big picture of the last scene:

Veteran tank crew of M4A3E8 Sherman lays ambush on a 'battalion' (probably just a reinforced company in reality) of troops in parade march on a sunken road. The Sherman lays astride the route of march and can fire all three MGs and the main gun into the troops as they march. The only possible egress for the troops in the road is a small farmhouse, which is easily fired.

German casualties are horrific. Eventually several waves of German troops overwhelm the tank's defenders and finish it off. Several German panzerfausts impact the tank, killing or injuring several crew. In the interim-before the Germans can meaningfully regroup-American reinforcements arrive to drive them back off of the crossroads.

That's about what I would have expected from a "10,000 foot" perspective.

(in reply to UP844)
Post #: 2756
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 3/5/2018 8:38:46 PM   
redcoat

quote:

Just watched Darkest Hour. A very good film - albeit with some liberty taking with the facts as always.

The set was perfect, the script was very good and the cast was of the highest quality imaginable. If Gary Oldman doesn't win an Oscar then the whole thing is cobblers. The support cast were very much in his shadow but did their jobs admirably - Kristin Scott Thomas as his wife, Cinderella was his assistant and Stannis Baratheon played Halifax very well (best supporting actor nominee at least surely).

Excellent and recommended.

I see Gary Oldman got best actor at the Oscars for his Churchill in Darkest Hour. I haven’t seen the film yet, but I’ve seen a few trailers. I wonder if Oldman’s makeup artist got an Oscar too?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by redcoat -- 3/5/2018 8:39:11 PM >

“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2757
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 3/5/2018 10:06:23 PM   
Agathosdaimon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: UP844

No no nope. If you think Fury was bad, clearly-CLEARLY you have not seen: USS Indianapolis: Men of Courage. I couldn't even watch all of that one.

Re: Fury: I was 'meh' on it. Yeah, some of the special effects and tactical oversights bugged me, but they weren't movie-killing experiences. Kind of like Dunkirk I guess. Am I going to really get hung up about the seemingly infinite ammunition that Hardy's Spitfire had and how its flight trim out of fuel was totally unrealistic?

So with all the Experten () that roll their eyes about this or that outcome of Fury, think about the big picture of the last scene:

Veteran tank crew of M4A3E8 Sherman lays ambush on a 'battalion' (probably just a reinforced company in reality) of troops in parade march on a sunken road. The Sherman lays astride the route of march and can fire all three MGs and the main gun into the troops as they march. The only possible egress for the troops in the road is a small farmhouse, which is easily fired.

German casualties are horrific. Eventually several waves of German troops overwhelm the tank's defenders and finish it off. Several German panzerfausts impact the tank, killing or injuring several crew. In the interim-before the Germans can meaningfully regroup-American reinforcements arrive to drive them back off of the crossroads.

That's about what I would have expected from a "10,000 foot" perspective.

the ending of Fury was just a bridge too far for my willing suspension of disbelief - if i recall the sherman was immobilised, and it was dark and there was smoke and fire all around it that would have made it hard to see germans clearly from certainly 50 plus meters, and impossible if they have some cover at all which there certainly was - it was as though it was just a computer game on a small map where teh germans were stopped by some invisible barrier or just taking a moderate berth even around the stuck tank to finish it off.

I dont mind unrealistic heroics in a war movie but i would have thought it would not have been that hard to contrive a scene where the tank crew had just a few more odds in their favor - like say how they set some traps in saving private ryan at the least.

did the germans have such a low sense of self-preservation that they would all just run at the front of the tank?

On anothe rnote, a series i am watching that i highly recommend is 'Babylon Berlin' on Netflix - a fantastic dark detective drama set in final years of the Weimar Republic - all the intrigues and the differing secretive political revolutionary factions against the cosmopolitan weimar culture, and all the while there is this subtle creep of anti-semitism and mentions of hitler, but no one is focussed on those at this time, rather it is all about stalinists, trotskyists, nationalists, conservatives, social democrats, pornography, sex, drugs, ww1 vets, clashes between police and communist groups and a blurring of ideological ambitions too. I think the actor playing Gereon Rath is top notch. i am interested now in reading the books its based on.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2758
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 3/6/2018 7:49:36 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: redcoat

quote:

Just watched Darkest Hour. A very good film - albeit with some liberty taking with the facts as always.

The set was perfect, the script was very good and the cast was of the highest quality imaginable. If Gary Oldman doesn't win an Oscar then the whole thing is cobblers. The support cast were very much in his shadow but did their jobs admirably - Kristin Scott Thomas as his wife, Cinderella was his assistant and Stannis Baratheon played Halifax very well (best supporting actor nominee at least surely).

Excellent and recommended.

I see Gary Oldman got best actor at the Oscars for his Churchill in Darkest Hour. I haven’t seen the film yet, but I’ve seen a few trailers. I wonder if Oldman’s makeup artist got an Oscar too?

warspite1

Of all the people to play Churchill, Oldman probably looks least like the man himself. However, let's be clear, while the make up artists did a very fine job, it was Oldman's performance that got him the Oscar. He was excellent and obviously put an awful lot into that performance .

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 2759
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 3/7/2018 1:15:51 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Agathosdaimon

did the germans have such a low sense of self-preservation that they would all just run at the front of the tank?

Troops in parade march going towards a battle by definition don't have a sense of self-preservation. That unit, arrayed in that fashion, would have been taken out in toto by a well placed artillery barrage from a single battery of 105s.

(in reply to Agathosdaimon)
Post #: 2760
Page:   <<   < prev  90 91 [92] 93 94   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  90 91 [92] 93 94   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI