Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Confusion

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Confusion Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Confusion - 6/4/2001 12:35:00 PM   
NateD

I just saw the movie "Pearl Harbor". During my 45 minute drive home I was in a daze. Maybe I'm thinking too much or maybe I'm just being idiotic but I thought I would post what I am feeling here, where I thought maybe someone might have an answer or something else for me. I am the son of a Vietnam veteran, the Grandson of a Chief Petty Officer who came home after 3.5 years in various Japanese prison camps after being captured in the Philippines and the Grandson of a Marine who fought in Korea and Vietnam. I have been to Pearl, have seen the Arizona and take my heritage and history very seriously. I teared up during the recreation of the attack and during the som eof the scenes afterwards. Then my right arm began to burn. You see a few months ago my wife and I decided to do something together. We decided for whatever reason to get tattoos. She found hers easy enough but I wanted something I could live with for the rest of my life. I looked and researched and thought asian script with a special meaning would be a good idea. After a week or so of looking I came across a site with Japanese symbols. I went to a page with the 7 virtues of Bushido, the warrior's code in Japan. I chose the virtue of "Honor & Glory" or "Meiyo". I got the tattoo and was very happy. About three weeks later after telling my dad and seeing the look in his eye, I put 2 & 2 together. I about threw up. I'm not sure why but I did. I wanted to sratch it off. I thought about the 3 years that were taken from my grandfather. I've read his manuscript of what happened. I've seen his pictures and heard his stories. Eventually I guess I put it out of my mind. Tonight after seeing those Mitsubishi A-6 "Zero's" strafing the Sailors and Marines, my arm burned. After the movie I walked out to my car and sat down. That's when I realized I was driving home in a Mitsubishi Mirage. 45 minutes of wondering what my Grandfather would say to me. How he would feel seeing my arm, watching me drive this car. Seeing the look of my Dad's eyes on me. I'm not quite sure where I am going with this but I needed to type it out and think about it and hopefully get some feedback. I know I can't just forget the tatto and up and buy a different car but I cannot get past what they represent to people like my Dad and Grandfather. I am proud of the service to our country that my family has given. I will volunteer in a moments notice if the call arises but I can't help wandering. I'm gonna stop know cause I'm rambling. Thanks to all those who respond and I hope this isn't a waste of time. [ June 04, 2001: Message edited by: NateD ]

Nate, "Sometimes descretion is the better part of valor."
Post #: 1
- 6/4/2001 3:11:00 PM   
Resisti

My two cents here. I dont think scratch yr tatoo out or change yr car is a good idea. It's as if we Italians should not drink Coca Cola cause we've been enemies with you 60 years ago or not to drive any Wolkswagen cause we've been enemy with Germany after the Armistice. I see yr point but I'd say: we HAVE NOT to forget the past but try to live in the present (or even better in the future).

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to NateD)
Post #: 2
- 6/4/2001 3:57:00 PM   
David Heath

Nate I think the point here is to forgive but NOT to forget what was done or the people close to you who paid that price for us. I learned we can not live in the pass but we must always remember and honor those who paid that incredible price.

(in reply to NateD)
Post #: 3
- 6/4/2001 6:36:00 PM   
Warrior

The real lessons of Pearl Harbor are that 1) we must never allow our country to become unprepared, the best way to avoid war being always ready for it, and 2) remember that it was FDR's perfidy in not warning Pearl of the impeding attack that resulted in such horrible damage. If our men had been at battle stations, the attack might not have been so devestating. Washington knew the exact schedule of the attack, but deliberately withheld the information from the Pacific commanders as a way to bring us into the war. At the time 80% of the country was against becoming involved in another "foreign war," but the Pearl Harbor "sneak attack" changed that overnight. Be forever wary of leaders who think their own ideas are superior to the wishes of the population. They will not hesitate to allow our servicmen to die to advance their own agenda. We remember and honor our fallen, but should also put the blame where it belongs. Japan was "set up" by Washington and left no choice but to attack. Had the situation been reversed, we would have done the same.

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to NateD)
Post #: 4
- 6/4/2001 10:32:00 PM   
Dan Bozza

I've always felt that if the politicians were the ones who had to fight, there would be a lot less fighting!

"Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means."

(in reply to NateD)
Post #: 5
- 6/4/2001 10:35:00 PM   
NateD

Thanks guys.

Nate, "Sometimes descretion is the better part of valor."

(in reply to NateD)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Confusion Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI