Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Modern Naval Tactics resources

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Modern Naval Tactics resources Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Modern Naval Tactics resources - 2/15/2018 12:07:43 PM   
Nital

Hi guys,

I recently bought CMANO (and COW) and have started playing around, completing the tutorials, reading the 6th Battle and underway in The war that never was, read the Mega FAQ etc... But there is still something missing for me, which is about naval tactics at the modern age in general (ie how are organized the various screens, at which distance, with which capability etc...).
I've found a few sources on the net, but they are generally quite high level and I was wondering if any of you could direct me either to a good book or pdf or website that could satisfy my curiosity ;o)

In terms of game, I am now re-starting the Duelists on the RN side. I have just re-organized my fleet to try and stick with the principles I have read :) So far so good ;)

Thanks in advance for your help and see you soon guys
Post #: 1
RE: Modern Naval Tactics resources - 2/15/2018 12:36:01 PM   
butch4343

Nital,

What period are you looking for specifically, I cant say I have seen much on western navies , fleet tactics by Wayne P Hughes are mentioned ferquently as a good source , however for the soviets from mid70s-80s you cant go wrong with Milan Vego's Soviet Naval Tactics, which incidentaly in covering Soviet Anti Carrier operations gives an insight on how CVG groups layered their defences in the late cold war period.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Butch

(in reply to Nital)
Post #: 2
RE: Modern Naval Tactics resources - 2/15/2018 12:45:25 PM   
Nital

Hi Butch and thanks for these references.

I'm mostly looking into as modern (or recent) as possible. Fleet Tactics seems to be available for a reasonable price at amazon (which is not the case of Vego's tome ;)), so I guess I'll go for this one first.

Thanks for your help :)

Nital

(in reply to butch4343)
Post #: 3
RE: Modern Naval Tactics resources - 2/15/2018 1:10:40 PM   
SeaQueen

There isn't really a lot of stuff out there that's as specific as you might want it to be. There is some good stuff out there, though. Fleet Tactics and Coastal Combat by Wayne Hughes is a consistent favorite, because it explains the logic both in historical terms and in mathematical terms of missile combat and carrier combat in the modern era. Soviet Naval Tactics by Milan Vego is another more difficult to find book which looks at how Soviet style fleets looked at the problem. My favorite is Naval Operations Analysis by Wagner which is a bit more math heavy than the others but frequently provides more insight if you're okay with a differential equation or two. After that one you'll prefer to play the game with a spreadsheet opened.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nital
I've found a few sources on the net, but they are generally quite high level and I was wondering if any of you could direct me either to a good book or pdf or website that could satisfy my curiosity ;o)

(in reply to Nital)
Post #: 4
RE: Modern Naval Tactics resources - 2/15/2018 1:13:29 PM   
kevinkins

Nital,

A player posted his personal (massive) book collection back in 2014 which may help you pick a few to start with.
Some are historical and not purely operational/tactical. But take a minute and go through the list to see if something
of interests pops up.

Here is the thread:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3717393

"Strike Warfare: An Introduction to Non-Nuclear Attack by Air and Sea" seems to be on a lot of people's short list.

Kevin

(in reply to Nital)
Post #: 5
RE: Modern Naval Tactics resources - 2/15/2018 1:26:46 PM   
Nital

Thanks a lot SeaQueen and Kevin for your help.
I'll jump on the mentioned thread straight away :)

Cheers

Nital

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 6
RE: Modern Naval Tactics resources - 2/15/2018 2:00:19 PM   
AlGrant

Hi Nital,

Whilst most of the info in these links won't tell you what ships to put where or why they'll make interesting reading until your copy of Fleet Tactics arrives:

COMMANDING THE SEAS: A PLAN TO REINVIGORATE U.S. NAVY SURFACE WARFARE
https://www.files.ethz.ch/isn/185614/A-Plan-To-Reinvigorate-US-Navy-Surface-Warfare.pdf
Chapter 2 on Sea Control is probably the most useful bit.

Soviet Capabilities to Counter US Aircraft Carriers
https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/DOC_0005512849.pdf
OK, this is early 70's cold war stuff - Today the weapons are more accurate and have longer range ..... but the basic underlying principles remains the same.

The next two discuss Wayne P Hughes Salvo model - Lots of formulae and variations, but I guess his salvo model will feature in his Fleet Tactics book, so might be of some interest

AN ANALYSIS OF SMALL NAVY TACTICS USING A MODIFIED HUGHES’ SALVO MODEL
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a467282.pdf

A MODERN NAVAL COMBAT MODEL
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a238163.pdf

Al

GOD'S EYE DISABLED.

(in reply to Nital)
Post #: 7
RE: Modern Naval Tactics resources - 2/15/2018 2:11:11 PM   
thewood1

I do a lot of sandboxing around the Hughes model and the VLS optimization paper. It is interesting to see the impact of these concepts. They are good starting points for a better understanding the details of modern naval missile strikes.

(in reply to AlGrant)
Post #: 8
RE: Modern Naval Tactics resources - 2/16/2018 3:50:13 PM   
stilesw

AlGrant,

Thank you for these documents. I've included them in the "reference library".

Anyone who would like access to the Dropbox library please PM me with your email address.

-Wayne Stiles

(in reply to AlGrant)
Post #: 9
RE: Modern Naval Tactics resources - 2/23/2018 11:23:25 AM   
Nital

Thanks again to all for your valuable input
I have just received my copy of Wayne Hugues Fleet tactics and will start it as soon as I am finished reading The war that never was.

(in reply to stilesw)
Post #: 10
RE: Modern Naval Tactics resources - 2/23/2018 11:41:43 AM   
SSN754planker

You might want to click on the following link.

CLICK THIS!

All books available on Amazon Kindle.

MY BOOK LIST
ST1/SS SSN 754

(in reply to Nital)
Post #: 11
RE: Modern Naval Tactics resources - 2/23/2018 1:04:14 PM   
thewood1

A recent good one that was recently released is the new Air Campaigns by Osprey on Rolling Thunder in Vietnam. It has some pretty detailed OOBs if you are wanting to build a scenario.

(in reply to SSN754planker)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Modern Naval Tactics resources Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI