Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) Page: <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/7/2018 2:35:18 PM   
warspite1

Turn 177 - Axis Turn (in real time)
27th May 1942

The turn starts with reinforcements moving through the Bardia-Sidi Barani area.

The Axis then begin their attacks – starting with the southern part of the front. Some CW units retreat but I couldn’t tell if that was an attack or bombardment. I assume it was an attack.

Then the bombardments start to open up

The 2nd Rifle Brigade retreats and panzers move into the newly opened gap

More bombardments start up – north and south

Another attack in the south sends more units into retreat – this is a problem….

More bombardments in the south. This is a major effort in this area

Then the northern sector gets more attention and a Free French AT evaporates

The bombardments continue

The turn ends. Let's see what the damage is.

Interestingly this time the Germans have more sorties and suffer more losses. This is curious because the Axis have a 50% shock bonus. Having said that, there appeared to be more Italian fighter numbers this time.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/7/2018 3:14:47 PM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 811
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/7/2018 3:17:23 PM   
warspite1

Turn 177
27th May 1942

The Axis air shock bonus is 50% So what now? I was going to simply move away with the air force, but the number of biplanes employed in that last turn makes me wonder.....

I just can't decide what to do. I mean 50% is a lot - particularly given the imbalance in air results generally. But then the Germans lost a lot of aircraft last turn.

The CW have 11 squadrons reorganising this turn and many others are in no fit state to fly. I think its the state of my air units that forces my hand here.

The issue of reinforcements and their starting positions rears its ugly head once more. An Australian fighter squadron finds itself in El Hammam....of course!

Edit: Oh and I've just found my second fighter reinforcement....placed in Burg El Arab..... Thank goodness these two weren't reorganising (as has happened previously).

One of the reasons I think (this is just a guess) I may be losing units in the Axis turn is that the reorganisation comes off after my turn and then the computer gives the aircraft a random order. To try and avoid this if possible I have set all my reorganising units to 0-range.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/8/2018 4:45:23 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 812
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/8/2018 4:53:08 AM   
warspite1

Turn 177
27th May 1942

The next thing to do is to sort out the southern sector of the front. This is has been relatively quiet but there has been movement of Axis artillery into this sector over many turns and last turn, for the first time, devoncop has made a real effort here.

I can't allow this front to be opened up and there would then be literally no where for me to anchor my left flank and the Axis motorised and panzer formation would simply steam into Cairo from the south.

That said I can't allow more and more forces to be sucked in here and leave the coast road practically undefended.

The defence of this sector (which includes south of the Depression) has been largely in the hands of the 5th Indian and the 50th Infantry Divisions with tank support from the 7th Armoured Division, the 22nd Armoured Brigade and 1st Army Tank Brigade (although these units have largely been sucked into the fighting in the centre).

Note: the 7th Armoured Division regiment is a reconnaissance regiment. There are no Commonwealth tanks in this sector.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/8/2018 5:57:47 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 813
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/8/2018 5:53:28 AM   
warspite1

Turn 177
27th May 1942

A look at the dire state of my infantry battalions (many down to less than a third of authorised strength) confirms that there is absolutely no possibility of offensive action this turn - and indeed if I stick around then its going to be evaporation city next turn (although even if I withdraw it may still be.....).

I was largely able to withdraw my front line forces. The AA units as usual get the brunt of the engagement but only one infantry unit - a Free French Marine company - fails to make it back to the new front line.

The position post withdrawal but pre-movement into position.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/8/2018 6:00:58 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 814
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/8/2018 7:51:57 AM   
warspite1

Turn 177
27th May 1942

The position with the armoured forces continues to worsen - down to less than 76% of authorised strength now (934 tanks), but the artillery position has not worsened.

However the real problem - and it is a massive problem - is the infantry. I had 4,600 infantry (rifle and SMG) squads on turn 169 - I now have 3,175. If devoncop gets wind of this he can steamroller my line....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/8/2018 8:16:48 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 815
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/8/2018 5:50:37 PM   
warspite1

Turn 178 - Axis Turn (in real time)
30th May 1942

The turn begins with reinforcements moving along the coast road – Ariete, panzers, artillery and Oasis units amongst them

Then the programs pans out to the Jebel and more reinforcements

Then its back to the mersa Matruh area and yet more reinforcement movements including Besaglieri units

Now, of course, it’s the bombardments starting up

A Light AA battery evaporates in the south I think

Then in the north an anti-tank battery evaporates

More bombardments and then artillery is on the move in the north

In the centre of the line on the junction of the two Corps, an RAF base unit retreats – and then another as the Axis pack the front line

And the turn ends - I wonder if there was a proficiency fail?....

That was a better turn for the CW – only 25 rifle squads, 3 AT and 7 AA guns lost (in addition to 8 mortars, 18 machine guns and 16 trucks.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 816
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/8/2018 5:52:37 PM   
warspite1

Turn 178
30th May 1942

The 1st Armoured goes into reorganisation dammit.

Pondering on that turn its perhaps interesting that the Axis launched no aircraft?? Despite this I am not going to get drawn into an air battle at a 50% disadvantage. I move my previously reorganising units out of harms way and check their range remains at 0. There are 3 squadrons still reorganising and I check their range status also.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/8/2018 6:05:34 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 817
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/8/2018 6:26:09 PM   
warspite1

Turn 178
30th May 1942

I try and retreat an AA battery in the centre of the line but it evaporates. I won't be moving back any further however. So its a case of moving my reinforcements up - these are not placed at the front regardless of the infantry situation as these few battalions constitute my only reserve....

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 818
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/9/2018 5:15:37 PM   
warspite1

Turn 179 - Axis Turn (in real time)
3rd June 1942

There is no mucking around this time – the Axis turn starts off with panzers moving up to the frontline on the coast road….

The rest of the frontline is then engaged

Now it’s the turn of reinforcements moving up just behind the front panzers, Bersaglieri amongst them

In the centre an RAF base withdraws, then another, while a third evaporates. I can see lots of artillery just behind the line.

The bombardments begin – three in the north centre and south – then a bit more movement and the barrages begin anew – four more

Now the Axis attack the airfield at El Hammam – an Indian infantry battalion evaporates

Now the Axis start moving units in the south out of the mountains – and then all along the line

The bombardment of the poor blokes in the front line recommences and a Heavy AA battery evaporates – as does a SAAF airbase and a battalion of 5th Indian Division in the south…. The CW are in big trouble here….

Now, south of the Depression Italian units start to infiltrate around the CW positions

More shuffling of units and then more bombardments – lots of bombardments….

Then the turn ends.....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 819
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/9/2018 5:33:19 PM   
warspite1

Turn 179 - Axis Turn
3rd June 1942

The butcher's bill was not quite as bad as first feared.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 820
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/9/2018 6:21:16 PM   
warspite1

Turn 179
3rd June 1942

Attacking remains an impossibility. I therefore decide to withdraw one hex - although this costs an AA battery and a recce company - both of which evaporate. An anti-tank battery, an AA battery and a battalion of motorised infantry from the reorganising 1st Division are also necessary - but painful - casualties of this decision.

I've noticed the Axis Air Bonus is down to 25%. However, I still keep my aircraft grounded while building up whatever reinforcements I can in the Delta.

So to the turn itself. I launch an ineffectual bombardment against the Axis armour in the mountains (only 1 regiment available (to be joined by a second shortly if the turn doesn't end)). I also attack the Italian infantry company that sought to get around my flank south of the Quattara Depression. The Italians are annihilated by the 11th Hussars who then withdraw to their starting positions.

The rest of the turn consists of bombardments of the same hex, resulting in the loss of 8 German tanks.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/9/2018 7:20:31 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 821
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/10/2018 5:23:08 AM   
warspite1

Turn 180 - Axis Turn (in real time)
6th June 1942

The turn beings with more units heading along the coast road just behind the front

Then the action switches to further back and more reinforcements – mostly Italian infantry I think

Now it’s over to the western front and forces moving up to the front – this includes the centre of the line this time.

An RAF base units retreats

The bombardments start – this time in the south first, then the north – 3 in total

Then 2 more – then another 8

Another RAF base unit retreats

The turn then comes to an end - this was not as bad as I feared but I suspect that next turn will be the big one as all Axis units are in place along the front.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/10/2018 6:04:24 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 822
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/10/2018 5:51:43 AM   
warspite1

Turn 180
6th June 1942

There is not much for me to do this turn. There was only one reinforcement - a battalion of Coldstream Guards whose readiness needs improvement.

Next turn should be the last turn that the Axis have an air bonus. I keep my aircraft grounded again with a view to making operational next turn.

The CW shock penalty does not disappear until Turn 185 but I suspect I will need to try and counter-attack before then as once again the Axis artillery are getting close to Amiriya.

My turn is limited to four bombardments in the south which prove more of a nuisance than anything else. I also retreat with the units in the centre that could not retreat last time due to reorganisation. This straightens the line once again.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/10/2018 6:02:00 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 823
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/10/2018 6:01:48 PM   
warspite1

Turn 181 - Axis Turn (in real time)
10th June 1942

The turn begins with movement on the western front as the Axis go straight into the action. I assume devoncop is aware this is his last turn with the air bonus and will seek to make it count.

A base unit retreats in the centre and the Axis pile into the space.

Artillery – about three regiments – move up right up to the from line in the south

Then the action switches to reinforcements in the Sidi Barani area

There are a few hundred invisible moves and then the dreaded bombardments begin – 4 (mostly in the south)

There are then more in the north and a South African battalion and an AA battery evaporate as the Axis push on up along the coast road

3 more bombardments now and then more units positioning all along the line – then three more barrages.

Large numbers of units are moving in the centre where the front dog-legs – then two more barrages in the north.

The air bonus was supposed to finish on turn 181. I’m now told its 12%.

I am hoping this is for the remainder of this turn, but given problems elsewhere with this scenario I can’t rely on that.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/10/2018 6:19:44 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 824
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/10/2018 6:33:17 PM   
warspite1

Turn 181
10th June 1942

The Axis are almost back where they were before my limited offensive. This means Amiriya is in danger once more. However there is nothing to be done until I know that the Axis air bonus is finished. This is nerve-wracking.

Any thought of offensive action is put out of my mind with the news that the 22nd Armoured Brigade and the 32nd Tank Army Brigade are reorganising.

I decide to take the risky move of moving back one hex. Provided there are no bad breaks with reorganisation, the counter-attack will begin next turn.....

I limit my turn to bombarding the most easterly of the Axis units. This at least succeeds in evaporating the two weak infantry units with the panzers, as well as costing the panzer battalion just over 20 tanks.

I think this next turn will be crucial....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/10/2018 7:14:50 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 825
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/10/2018 8:00:01 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Turn 181
10th June 1942

Make sure you mine the Suez Canal. Just in case.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 826
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/10/2018 8:43:17 PM   
warspite1

Turn 182 - Axis Turn (in real time)
13th June 1942

This important turn starts at the front and the Axis moving armoured units (Littorio Division initially) into the coastal hex that came under fire last turn

To the south an RAF base units retreats and then in the coastal hex itself the Free French infantry and the accompanying AA units also retreat.

The Axis tanks start to fill up the vacated hex – as does numerous artillery units

Further south, just north of the dog-leg, there are more retreating AA and SAAF base units

Yet more units pile into the coastal plain. I expect this is now the big push

Reinforcement of the centre next before moving to the Mersah Matruh area

Then yet more reinforcements coming from the Jebel

The hundreds of invisible moves before the bombardments start up in the north first – followed by the south also getting attention

East of the Quattara Depression a commando unit evaporates – this could open up the way for the Axis in the south

Still the bombardments continue – in the north now

A Free French battalion evaporates as does an RAF base

The bombardments continue – this is painful to watch

The turn ends.

As I switch to my turn I get the news that the Axis Air Shock Penalty is 12% still. I mean for a game that is on Version IV this is pretty unacceptable. I check the Scenario Briefing and this confirms the Axis shock penalty ends on Turn 181. I then check the documentation and this says 182 . Poor.

Oh well, nothing I can do about it now and the news gets even worse - the newly arrived 10th Armoured Division has just gone into reorganisation - as has 1st Army Tank Brigade.... Great thanks for that - that's really ideal timing....

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/10/2018 8:52:28 PM >

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 827
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/10/2018 8:52:41 PM   
warspite1

Turn 182 - Axis Turn
13th June 1942

I check the damage from last turn and the Field Gun losses were pretty bad. I will need to check on this situation.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/10/2018 9:09:59 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 828
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/10/2018 9:14:33 PM   
warspite1

Turn 182
13th June 1942

I check on my air situation and find once again that my newly arrived fighters are placed at Burg El Arab but fortunately weren't reorganising so I've been able to fly them away.

The aircraft situation is getting better with each turn (my trouble is whether I will have any air bases to fly them from). The Hurricane squadrons remain the most problematic; of the paper strength of 18 squadrons I am missing almost 5 squadrons worth - and reserves number just 8 aircraft. That said, the overall numbers are the best they've been with a paper squadron strength of 53 equating to 47.6 - 666 fighters and 477 bombers.

The infantry situation remains precarious, although the recent arrivals have boosted the numbers a little and rifle and machine gun squads number just shy of 3900 (4,600 on turn 169).

Artillery nos. remain roughly where they were on Turn 169. The biggest losses have come in the heavy guns and howitzers and I get no replacement for those....

Tanks nos. have gone back above 1,000 but of course that means very little when your best units are reorganising....

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/11/2018 8:21:29 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 829
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/10/2018 9:36:48 PM   
warspite1

Turn 182
13th June 1942

So the plan was to counter this turn. But a) the Axis air bonus remains in place and b) the 2 tank units and one infantry unit are reorganising (as are 2 squadrons and a third is in no state to fly).

That said if I leave it then I run the risk of Amiriya not being usuable..... decisions decisions....

I decide to bombard the further forward Axis stack again, take about a dozen tanks and then withdraw with the artillery.

If any of my major units reorganise next turn then that's it. Everyone and everything will be needed for whatever counter I can muster....

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/11/2018 8:40:02 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 830
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/11/2018 2:13:37 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Turn 181
10th June 1942

The Axis are almost back where they were before my limited offensive. This means Amiriya is in danger once more. However there is nothing to be done until I know that the Axis air bonus is finished. This is nerve-wracking.

Any thought of offensive action is put out of my mind with the news that the 22nd Armoured Brigade and the 32nd Tank Army Brigade are reorganising.

I decide to take the risky move of moving back one hex. Provided there are no bad breaks with reorganisation, the counter-attack will begin next turn.....

I limit my turn to bombarding the most easterly of the Axis units. This at least succeeds in evaporating the two weak infantry units with the panzers, as well as costing the panzer battalion just over 20 tanks.

I don't know what all the trepidation and hand wringing is all about. Can't you just tell your troops to hold their ground? Chin up and all that? Chip chip cheerio?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 831
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/11/2018 7:58:43 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Turn 181
10th June 1942

I don't know what all the trepidation and hand wringing is all about. Can't you just tell your troops to hold their ground? Chin up and all that? Chip chip cheerio?

"Backs to the Wall!", like Haig.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 832
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/14/2018 12:05:10 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Turn 181
10th June 1942

warspite1

That's great advice - thank-you for the considered input

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 833
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/14/2018 12:37:34 PM   
warspite1

Turn 183 - Axis Turn (in real time)
17th June 1942

The turn starts with a CW HAA battery being forced into retreat and Axis forces pushing up to the defence line on the coastal plain

There are then numerous invisible moves before the action switches back to the western front and the start of the bombardments

An Axis attack is announced but I can’t tell where or what happened – and then bombardments start up again – followed by more movement on the coast and to the south of the road and rail lines

Lots of movement then in the south to the east of the mountains

More bombardments follow – and then an attack in the centre of the line. An LAA unit evaporates and the hex empties – I’m not sure what else was there???

Regardless, the Axis move in in numbers – tons of artillery moving up to

Bombardments rain down all across the front now and then an attack in the north that forces the French defenders into retreat. The northern ‘line’ is now in something of a mess

But still the bombardments continue in what is clearly an all-out offensive

An RAF base unit evaporates under the deluge

Mercifully the turn ends - but god knows what damage those barrages caused.

Burg El Arab falls. Playing the Commonwealth remains great fun... the 1st Armoured Division is reorganising now????

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/14/2018 12:41:49 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 834
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/14/2018 1:09:40 PM   
warspite1

Turn 183 - Axis Turn
17th June 1942

This was a decent turn for the CW - aside from losing the airfield and the breach in the centre - which I suspect was caused by the withdrawal of the 3rd Indian Motor Brigade....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/14/2018 1:11:17 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 835
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/14/2018 1:13:42 PM   
warspite1

Turn 183
17th June 1942

The Axis air shock penalty goes away at last. Assuming no more mis-information, the CW shock penalty disappears in 2 turns but I am going to need to counter before then.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 836
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/14/2018 1:16:41 PM   
Szilard

Turning point, huzzah for the Auk! Hopefully.

And hopefully it now starts to swing to the Brits to enjoy apparently hugely over-powered artillery benefits.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 837
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/14/2018 2:04:06 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Szilard

Turning point, huzzah for the Auk! Hopefully.

And hopefully it now starts to swing to the Brits to enjoy apparently hugely over-powered artillery benefits.
warspite1

As you say Szilard old chap, hopefully

(in reply to Szilard)
Post #: 838
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/14/2018 2:13:35 PM   
warspite1

Turn 183
17th June 1942

I am considering doing something I thought impossible; losing the use of Amiriya.

The thinking here is:

Advantages
- I need to hold out for just two more turns before I lose one of the two remaining disadvantages i.e. the 4% CW Shock Penalty.
- This turn I get the bulk of the New Zealand 2nd Division back. This unit will take a while to get in a position to attack though
- The 9th Australian Division arrive in 2 turns

I will therefore be able to attack with better, more numerous units - and without any penalty being applied.

Disadvantages

- The move will allow devoncop to consolidate his position around El Hammam and so make that forward airfield operational
- His artillery will render the entire airbase at Amiriya unusable until I can force him back.
- Every turn I move back I run the risk of a breakthrough that tears my front apart.

I think, on balance, I am going to go for the pull back.......

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/14/2018 2:16:35 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 839
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 4/14/2018 2:18:54 PM   
Szilard

quote:

Turn 183
17th June 1942

I am considering doing something I thought impossible; losing the use of Amiriya.

The thinking here is:

Advantages
- I need to hold out for just two more turns before I lose one of the two remaining disadvantages i.e. the 4% CW Shock Penalty.

Sure about that? I thought that one went away with Monty's arrival, on turn 201.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 840
Page:   <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) Page: <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI