Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 >> RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 3/25/2018 2:53:00 PM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbmoore68

Some very good FREE reading material on Vietnam War https://history.army.mil/html/bookshelves/collect/usavn.html and https://history.army.mil/html/bookshelves/collect/vn-studies.html especially the books on combat operations.

CMH, as well as DTIC and others provide real good publications. I dug out lots of 'obscure' and 'less-known' stuff from their archives, especially about the French/Viet-Minh period.

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to jbmoore68)
Post #: 601
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 3/26/2018 7:04:37 PM   
Crossroads

How about a little East Front III teaser? All graphics ALPHA at this stage.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

26 February 1940, Counterattack at Honkaniemi, the Finnish attempt at saving their Interim Line just south of Viborg, with a rare participation of Vickers 6 ton tanks in support. Historically, it did not go well.

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 602
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 3/28/2018 3:07:01 AM   
berto

A current Vietnam playtest, another engagement from the Laotian Civil War, this one Skirmish on Phou Den Din (16 December, 1967) (ALPHA graphics):

Attachment (1)

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 603
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 3/29/2018 3:48:06 AM   
majgentob

Lovely 2D GFX! BEEE-YOOOO-TEEE-FUL

One thing I will probably, mod though, with the 3D units: I will switch out most of the standing figures with soldiers kneeling or in the prone position. Seems a more realistic posture for someone hiding in dense vegetation (and getting shot at!; ))

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 604
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 3/29/2018 3:43:47 PM   
Crossroads

Thanks

(in reply to majgentob)
Post #: 605
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 3/31/2018 3:46:10 PM   
Jason Petho

Campaign Series Vietnam, ALPHA graphics. Mapping up a storm this weekend, putting all the effort into this Quang Ngai map for future scenarios. One hex at a time, there is progress!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 606
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 3/31/2018 3:54:54 PM   
Big Ivan

Very Nice Jason, thanks for the look see!!

If you don't mind me asking, what is the source for the maps in the right hand window and does it take a special
app to run it? I never saw .cdr files before, just curious.

Cheers!!
John

< Message edited by Big Ivan -- 4/1/2018 8:42:27 AM >

Blitz call sign Big Ivan.

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 607
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 3/31/2018 4:00:13 PM   
Eagle-FZS

It looks like the CS Vietnam Map Editor is a lot better and more extensive than the JTCS. very good work!

Dirk Wodrich

Post #: 608
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 4/5/2018 10:36:53 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

If you don't mind me asking, what is the source for the maps in the right hand window and does it take a special

Sorry, John, just noticed the question.

That's CorelDRAW 2017.

I use it for quite a few things mapping related, including displaying the topographic maps, so I can doodle or leave notes in key areas on them with ease.

(in reply to Eagle-FZS)
Post #: 609
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 4/7/2018 7:50:04 AM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eagle-FZS

It looks like the CS Vietnam Map Editor is a lot better and more extensive than the JTCS. very good work!

It is! And since that screenshot, there's already one more new Hex type added: Installations.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

1. Barracks V1
2. Barracks V2
3. Barracks V3
4. Administration buildings V1 (Like barracks, but rectangular and typically white)
5. Administration buildings V2 (Like barracks, but rectangular and typically white)
6. Hangars / Airbase overview
7. Airfield Revetments
8. FireBase V1
9. FireBase V2
10. USA Guard Tower / Bunkers Complex
11. Dockyard / Installation / LCU Docks
12. NVA bunker complex (mostly hidden in vegetation, with occasional structure above ground)

(in reply to Eagle-FZS)
Post #: 610
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 4/7/2018 9:19:46 AM   
Big Ivan

quote:

quote:

Sorry, John, just noticed the question.

That's CorelDRAW 2017.

I use it for quite a few things mapping related, including displaying the topographic maps, so I can doodle or leave notes in key areas on them with ease.

Thank you Jason!

Looks like its a must have when doing detailed map making. I assume its a purchase download. I'll see what I can find out when I Google it.

Cheers!

Post #: 611
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 4/7/2018 3:28:11 PM   
Jason Petho

For map making, i use ESRI's ArcMap/ArcPro to ensure everything is spatially sound and then export the results to finalize the maps in CorelDRAW.

(in reply to Big Ivan)
Post #: 612
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 4/8/2018 4:29:50 PM   
Jason Petho

Campaign Series Vietnam - ALPHA graphics.

[Na San, Vietnam]: [H2H][HIS][CSL]: Na San, conveniently located on provincial route 41 (RP 41), was a valley of 2 km x 1 km surrounded by 24 hills that could serve as natural defense positions. In early October 1952, there was a single outpost and a short airstrip, both guarded by a company under the command of a non-commissioned officer. General Salan used the Hanoi-based French Air Force Dakotas to transport troops and material there in order to complete a fortified outpost allowing a direct confrontation with the Viet Minh divisions. During the battle, Colonel Gilles used a new tactic, called "the hedgehog", for the first time. The hedgehog defense consisted of an outpost surrounded by several armed positions. The objective was to provoke an enemy frontal assault, rather than fighting off hit-and-run attacks or falling into ambushes. Na San’s hedgehog consisted of 30 P.A. with a complicated trench system, enforced with barbed wires. At 9:00 PM, General Giap’s forces launched their all out offensive at Na San. Wave after wave of soldiers relentlessly assaulted several P.A., especially 21 bis and 26; sometimes the attackers outnumbered the defenders fifteen to one. All night, Dakotas dropped flares over the battlefields to give support troops visibility to defend the positions. Defending forces continuously fired their cannons into Vietminh human waves while Privateers dropped bombs onto enemy positions around Na San. The battles raged on until mid-morning when all attacks abruptly stopped, leaving behind an eerie silence. Na San had achieved the unthinkable: halting Giap's seemingly unstoppable Vietminh forces. [ALL][NONE][1.00]

This scenario starts in the day, transitions to night where most of the fighting occured and then day break the following day. It is 36 turns long.

This scenario also incorporates a new feature of the Campaign Series - Variable Objectives.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 613
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 4/8/2018 4:30:21 PM   
Jason Petho

Another view of the Na San scenario

Attachment (1)

Post #: 614
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 4/8/2018 4:30:43 PM   
Jason Petho

And 2D, zoomed in.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 615
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 4/8/2018 11:57:33 PM   
Bradley62

Nice!Looking forward to the combat!

Post #: 616
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 4/13/2018 1:54:25 PM   
Jason Petho

Campaign Series Vietnam - ALPHA graphics. 2D screenshot during playtest of Na San. I am attacking far too early and the Viet Minh are paying a heavy price in losses.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bradley62)
Post #: 617
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 4/13/2018 2:30:54 PM   
Jason Petho

Blood and Coal - The Battle of Mao Khe

27 March, 1951
[Mao Khé, Vietnam]: [H2H][HIS][CSL]: Thirty-two kilometres north of the port of Haiphong lies the small village of Mao Khé. Nestled along the north side of the Da Bach River, the village acts as a focal point for the mining industry found in the region. It was also the logical place for General Giap to continue his offensive to break the Red River defensive line. Sending the 308, 312 and 316 Infantry Divisions towards Mao Khé, the 316 began its attack on the night of March 23rd. Over the course of the next few days, most of the outlying posts had been captured; Mao Khé was unable to be captured due to the concentrated artillery fire breaking up the attacks. On March 27th, regiments of the 312 and 308 divisions launched a new attack, starting with the mine one kilometre to the north of Mao Khé. Defending the mine was a group of 95 Tho guerrillas under the command of Lt. N-X-T. [ALL][CSEE and Variable Objectives][1.00]

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Jason Petho -- 4/13/2018 2:32:27 PM >

Post #: 618
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 4/17/2018 12:47:19 PM   
berto

A couple of (private) Dev Forum posts, from quite a while ago, late February. Some minor changes to the Awareness System since then, and many other changes to the Vietnam game in general, including the ALPHA graphics, what you see here.

quote:

ORIGINAL: berto

About the new Awareness system:

In recent VN play testing, I have observed that sighting in general, and helo spotting in particular, is way too all-seeing. The Americans & co. especially have been enjoying way too much intelligence of the enemy's whereabouts, also his fortifications etc.

In the new Awareness system, I have nerfed the omniscience. [The omniscience has been nerfed in other ways besides.]

Here, for example (a screenshot taken from a game last December), is an example of how it has been, the before:

How is it, even allowing for the high flying helos, that the Americans can see enemy units and their entrenchments even through Dense Jungle? How can the Americans possibly know about that IE(D)? Under any reasonable portrayal of FOW, they can't, or shouldn't.

Here is the new, the after, in the scen editor:

Whenever you select any of

• Set/Clear Mines
  • Toggle Cave Hex
  • Toggle Tunnel Hex
  • Toggle IED Hex

whether through the menu, or the toolbar, a special "Awareness" overlay displays on map.

Initially, when you place one of those four markers, a "n/a" (not "not applicable", rather "no awareness") label overlays the marker. "n/a" means there is no awareness of that mine etc.; neither side is aware of its existence.

If you cycle to the next awareness setting, whether by Map -> Cycle Awareness or by pressing the Tab key, "A" replaces the "n/a". This signifies that Side A (but not Side B) is aware of those mines etc. Whether because they laid the mines etc., or didn't (or had forgotten about them), but have since (re)discovered their placement.

If you cycle to the next awareness setting, "B", this signifies that Side B (but not Side A) is aware of the mines etc.

At the next cycle, "AB", both Side A and Side B are aware of the mines etc.

At the next cycle after that, it returns to "n/a". Thus, there are four Awareness possibilities:

• n/a, neither side aware
  • A, Side A (only) aware
  • B, Side B (only) aware
  • AB, both sides aware

(Note by means of Map > Reverse Cycle Awareness or the Ctrl+Tab hot key that you can reverse cycle through the possibilities as you wish.)

When you select a different action item, such as marking a Trench, placing a Wreck, etc., the Awareness overlay vanishes, any n/a, A, B or AB all disappear. If you press one of the highlight buttons, the awareness overlays stay. They only vanish if you select one of the competing action items. Or deselect Set/Clear Mines etc. (toggle OFF the toolbar button).

I will demonstrate the effects of these different awareness settings in a moment. Let me first say: Think of the possibilities.

• With (most) every mine etc. marked n/a, this might suggest a situation where one side laid the mines etc. days, weeks, or months before; later, an engagement happens here where neither side is mine etc. aware.
  • With (most) every mine etc. marked A or B, this is the typical situation where one side laid the mines etc., knows and retains awareness of them, while the other side is unaware. To the other side, they are (initially) hidden from view.
  • With (most) every mine etc. marked AB, this might suggest a situation where Side A laid the mines etc. in an earlier scenario in a LCG; that this is a later scenario in the LCG where by now the other side has learned about, has become aware of, the first side's laid mines etc.

This opens up some interesting new scenario design possibilities, I hope you can see.

About the list

• Mines
  • Cave
  • Tunnel
  • IED

These are hex features that intrinsically, by their very nature, are hidden (or meant to be). Why are Trench, Bunker, Pillbox etc. not included in that list? It's because they are not intrinsically hidden. They could be hidden, but due to surrounding terrain, not by themselves. So for example if a Trench is placed in a Light or Dense Jungle hex, it too would be hidden, but because of the jungle cover. A Trench in less obscuring terrain would be seen according to the ordinary (legacy) LOS rules.

In the screenshot above, by means of the appropriate Awareness cycling, I have assigned side awareness as shown. Side A (Americans) is aware of the mines & IEDs around its firebase (to the east); and Side B (NVA) is aware of its IEDs (scattered about to the west).

Here is how the Americans would see -- rather, not see! -- those IEDs:

Even though the American helo is flying high and can survey the battlefield widely

• It cannot sight the TRenches, BunKers etc., due to the jungle terrain.
  • It cannot sight the IE(D)s, because they lack Side A awareness of thos IE(D)s.

Compare with the very first screenshot above, where then the high flying helo could see absolutely everything. Dumb! Much better now!

Here is how the Side B NVA would see the scene:

Even though some of those IE(D)s are out of LOS, still the NVA are aware of them, hence can see them, because they have been marked Side B aware (see above).

[to be continued ...]

• quote:

ORIGINAL: berto

[... continuing]

Turning instead to Middle East (and a modified Saasa test scenario as an example), here are some minefields with various side awareness markings, as seen in the scen editor:

After the Side A (Israeli) first move, this is what they see in game:

Compare with the scen editor view above to verify that the Side A Israelis can only see mines marked either A or AB.

After the Side B (Syrian) move, this is what they see in game:

Compare with the scen editor view above to verify that the Side B Syrians can only see mines marked either B or AB.

Compare also to verify that neither side can see any of the mines marked n/a.

If a blind side stumbles upon a mine etc., does it then become aware of the mine etc.? But of course! A side can become newly aware of a mine etc. whether through movement, or assault, or perhaps a few other sensible ways.

Once a side gains awareness of a mine etc., it retains awareness of the mine etc. to the end of the scenario. There is not losing awareness, no forgetting of discovered mines etc.

That then is the new Awareness system. You can appreciate how this will signficantly impact game play. Because of that, it is an optional rule, sort of. Meaning to say, it is a -- no choice -- intrinsic feature of the Extreme FOW optional rule. But if you really want to retain (legacy) all knowing, all seeing awareness (within LOS) of mines etc., then play with ordinary FOW. (Wimp!)

This new feature, together with other recently added new features (many of them designed to nerf the "queen" helos) will be available in the forthcoming VN EXEs, to be released later this week.

I mentioned above where the Vietnam game system has since seen many other changes. Here for example is the latest scen editor Map menu:

Compare with the above, and maybe you can spot some of the changes, and at least one new feature (to be more fully revealed in some future Sneak Peek, maybe).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by berto -- 4/17/2018 4:12:38 PM >

Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
    Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

Post #: 619
    RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 4/17/2018 3:04:20 PM   
    budd

Only the first picture shows for me.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
    I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to berto)
    Post #: 620
    RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 4/17/2018 3:14:20 PM   
    Jason Petho

Ah, that could be because they were originally linked inside the development forum.

(in reply to budd)
    Post #: 621
    RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 4/17/2018 4:08:42 PM   
    berto

Probably just a hiccup in the image file service. We have checked here, including a viewing on a cell phone running off a public 4G network. In all of our doublechecks, all images show, everything seems to be in order.

Please just try again.

Post #: 622
    RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 4/17/2018 9:41:37 PM   
    BigDuke66

Again a great post that makes one drool.

(in reply to berto)
    Post #: 623
    RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 4/18/2018 2:18:28 AM   
    TAIL_GUNNER

quote:

Another view of the Na San scenario

Just my opinion, but I think blocked hex would look so much better as a hexside terrain.

Very impressed with everything else.

Post #: 624
    RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 4/18/2018 7:45:10 AM   
    Big Ivan

Throughout the years of CS, I have been one of the wish list guys who said a few times, "Why can I see mines from 18 hexes away!?" "Can we hide mines somehow?"

++1 on this new awareness feature. It will change the game IMHO especially playing a scenario or LCG blind.

Excellent, just simply excellent!!

John

(in reply to TAIL_GUNNER)
    Post #: 625
    RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 4/18/2018 2:55:49 PM   
    berto

From a current play test. Note especially the new helo related toolbar buttons. Note also (to the far right) the new Highlight Loaded Transports button. Yes!

< Message edited by berto -- 4/18/2018 3:07:46 PM >

(in reply to Big Ivan)
    Post #: 626
    RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 4/18/2018 7:24:00 PM   
    Oberst_Klink

Talking about choppas!... I posted some interesting stuff about it. It might surprise the lot of you here, but... well... it was the Frenchies who utilised this method of transport/weapon platform while being in the Algerian quagmire.

COIN: French Counter-Insurgency Aircraft, 1946-1965

The other findings of humble me can be find here.

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
    Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to berto)
    Post #: 627
    RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 4/20/2018 9:39:58 AM   
    Crossroads

TGIF! And with that, time for some Friday fun.

You might have noticed Jason explaining his Order of Battle work saying the games contain a complete OOB for the specific Nation, for the full era covered. I don't know how many of you for intance have fired up the CS Middle East organization editor, and looked at the say Brits there. Among higher level formations, the full British Army of the Rhine (BAOR) is covered there. This means that they are basically ready to placed to other, more modern era games. Brits don't feature in CS Vietnam, but they will feature in the upcoming CS: Cold War game, due to come out later.

To test things out, we have at times created intermediary ALPHA compilations, for instance East Front III has been available like that for some time, as it is due to come out after CS Vietnam does. In a similar manner, we just now put together a CS Cold War ALPHA installation, to test out things can indeed moved around and that they work as supposed.

So here she is, all you Team Bravo aficionados: Campaign Series: Cold War, with Brits, French, and US units playing a little wargame somewhere out there, in early 1980s. At the time everything is fully on ALPHA status, including all graphics, but visible here is the current candidate for CS Cold War color scheme, that of the famous British "Berlin Brigade": White, Pale Brown, and Blue Gray.

Again, this is just for little Friday Fun, and I am amare once I post this you might be asking so when is it coming out then? The answer is, as I alreeady wrote above: "later". There's no schedule for it yet, just like West Front and Pacific Front do not have a schedule yet. But how we are building things here, there's a lot of content that will be reusable in other titles, as seen here too.

That said, we are fully focused in bringing Vietnam out late this summer, hopefully, and then East Front, towards the end of Winter 2018-19.

edit typos

< Message edited by Crossroads -- 4/21/2018 7:36:30 AM >

Post #: 628
    RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 4/20/2018 3:06:04 PM   
    Jason Petho

I have to admit, on a personal level, I'm more stoked about this title that East Front III.

That won't change the priority though, East Front III is still next in the queue after Vietnam.

(in reply to Crossroads)
    Post #: 629
    RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 4/20/2018 5:24:06 PM   
    comte

When do you guys expect to release Vietnam? At the end of this year?

But when Territories are acquired in regions where there are differences in language, customs, and laws then great good fortune and much hard work are required to hold them.

-Machiavelli, Il Principe, Book III-

Post #: 630
    Page:   <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 >> RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI