Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Admiral Yamamoto G4M1 Betty 2656 Bougainville Crash Site from this week

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Admiral Yamamoto G4M1 Betty 2656 Bougainville Crash Site from this week Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Admiral Yamamoto G4M1 Betty 2656 Bougainville Crash Sit... - 4/18/2018 8:40:11 AM   
JohnDillworth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=138&v=2cHYmRzop2I

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
Post #: 1
RE: Admiral Yamamoto G4M1 Betty 2656 Bougainville Crash... - 4/18/2018 9:51:00 AM   
Alpha77

Was Yamamotos corpse found in the Betty ? I guess must have been by Japanese rescue teams ? And where is he buried if he was found?

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 2
RE: Admiral Yamamoto G4M1 Betty 2656 Bougainville Crash... - 4/18/2018 10:11:05 AM   
LeeChard

I know his body was found. He was killed by MG fire. I can't recall what they did with the corpse.
The other Betty crashed into the sea. Some of his staff survived.

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 3
RE: Admiral Yamamoto G4M1 Betty 2656 Bougainville Crash... - 4/18/2018 10:14:10 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

From Wikipedia:

"The crash site and body of Yamamoto were found the next day in the jungle of the island of Bougainville by a Japanese search and rescue party, led by army engineer Lieutenant Hamasuna. According to Hamasuna, Yamamoto had been thrown clear of the plane's wreckage, his white-gloved hand grasping the hilt of his katana, still upright in his seat under a tree. Hamasuna said Yamamoto was instantly recognizable, head dipped down as if deep in thought. A post-mortem of the body disclosed that Yamamoto had received two 0.50-caliber bullet wounds, one to the back of his left shoulder and another to his left lower jaw that exited above his right eye. The Japanese navy doctor examining the body determined that the head wound killed Yamamoto. The more violent details of Yamamoto's death were hidden from the Japanese public. The medical report was whitewashed, changed "on orders from above", according to biographer Hiroyuki Agawa.

Yamamoto's staff cremated his remains at Buin and his ashes were returned to Tokyo aboard the battleship Musashi, Yamamoto's last flagship. Yamamoto was given a full state funeral on June 5, 1943,[27] where he received, posthumously, the title of Marshal and was awarded the Order of the Chrysanthemum (1st Class). He was also awarded Nazi Germany's Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords. Some of his ashes were buried in the public Tama Cemetery, Tokyo (多摩霊園) and the remainder at his ancestral burial grounds at the temple of Chuko-ji in Nagaoka City."

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 4
RE: Admiral Yamamoto G4M1 Betty 2656 Bougainville Crash... - 4/18/2018 3:37:22 PM   
Alpha77

Whow super interesting... so if he had survived what impact might it have had ? We could also speculate the same if Rommel would not have fallen in disgrace and got perhaps a high psoting in the Normandy front and given more free hand...

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 5
RE: Admiral Yamamoto G4M1 Betty 2656 Bougainville Crash... - 4/18/2018 4:55:55 PM   
Rusty1961

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNNEj5-6aOk

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 6
RE: Admiral Yamamoto G4M1 Betty 2656 Bougainville Crash... - 4/18/2018 5:49:32 PM   
MakeeLearn

“That son of a b*tch will not be dictating any peace terms in the White House.”
Captain Thomas G. Lanphier Jr.

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 7
RE: Admiral Yamamoto G4M1 Betty 2656 Bougainville Crash... - 4/18/2018 5:57:14 PM   
MakeeLearn

Capt. Tom Lanphier's P-38G-13-LO, “Phoebe,” USAAC 43-2338, Lockheed #3447.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 8
RE: Admiral Yamamoto G4M1 Betty 2656 Bougainville Crash... - 4/18/2018 5:58:56 PM   
MakeeLearn

The U.S. Army Air Forces later credited two pilots—Lieutenant Rex T. Barber and Captain Thomas G. Lanphier Jr. with the shoot-down.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 9
RE: Admiral Yamamoto G4M1 Betty 2656 Bougainville Crash... - 4/18/2018 10:32:58 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

From Wikipedia:

"The crash site and body of Yamamoto were found the next day in the jungle of the island of Bougainville by a Japanese search and rescue party, led by army engineer Lieutenant Hamasuna. According to Hamasuna, Yamamoto had been thrown clear of the plane's wreckage, his white-gloved hand grasping the hilt of his katana, still upright in his seat under a tree. Hamasuna said Yamamoto was instantly recognizable, head dipped down as if deep in thought. A post-mortem of the body disclosed that Yamamoto had received two 0.50-caliber bullet wounds, one to the back of his left shoulder and another to his left lower jaw that exited above his right eye. The Japanese navy doctor examining the body determined that the head wound killed Yamamoto. The more violent details of Yamamoto's death were hidden from the Japanese public. The medical report was whitewashed, changed "on orders from above", according to biographer Hiroyuki Agawa.

Yamamoto's staff cremated his remains at Buin and his ashes were returned to Tokyo aboard the battleship Musashi, Yamamoto's last flagship. Yamamoto was given a full state funeral on June 5, 1943,[27] where he received, posthumously, the title of Marshal and was awarded the Order of the Chrysanthemum (1st Class). He was also awarded Nazi Germany's Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords. Some of his ashes were buried in the public Tama Cemetery, Tokyo (多摩霊園) and the remainder at his ancestral burial grounds at the temple of Chuko-ji in Nagaoka City."

I can tell you that any account that describes Yamamoto's body dying in dignified repose was nonsense. If thrown free from the crash, his body would quite likely have suffered extraordinary damage. If hit with a .50 round that went through his head from lower jaw to right orbit it would have caused an enormous chasm of an exit wound, likely taking much of the cranium and brain ejecta with it.

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 10
RE: Admiral Yamamoto G4M1 Betty 2656 Bougainville Crash... - 4/18/2018 11:58:24 PM   
witpqs

quote:

I can tell you that any account that describes Yamamoto's body dying in dignified repose was nonsense. If thrown free from the crash, his body would quite likely have suffered extraordinary damage. If hit with a .50 round that went through his head from lower jaw to right orbit it would have caused an enormous chasm of an exit wound, likely taking much of the cranium and brain ejecta with it.

I read his bio, The Reluctant Admiral quite some time ago. The author mentioned speculation that one of his aids posed the body. I assume no one has ever come forward with either an admission, eyewitness account, or evidence but the serene repose of the body certainly is incredibly unlikely. The wounds... well there are fragments I suppose. Even something small through the head would have killed him, especially coupled with a plane crash.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 11
RE: Admiral Yamamoto G4M1 Betty 2656 Bougainville Crash... - 4/19/2018 3:19:51 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

From Wikipedia:

Yamamoto's staff cremated his remains at Buin and his ashes were returned to Tokyo aboard the battleship Musashi, Yamamoto's last flagship. Yamamoto was given a full state funeral on June 5, 1943,[27] where he received, posthumously, the title of Marshal and was awarded the Order of the Chrysanthemum (1st Class). He was also awarded Nazi Germany's Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords. Some of his ashes were buried in the public Tama Cemetery, Tokyo (‘½–€—쉀) and the remainder at his ancestral burial grounds at the temple of Chuko-ji in Nagaoka City."

+1

Read far too many clinical records. There was a good reason for the local cremation ... The body was likely only identifiable due to uniform remnants. I'll leave it at that.

You want a clearer picture, go to the NTSB website, find a small plane crash, access the coroner/ME reports on the victims and have a copy of your favorite medical dictionary with you. Grisly is the nicest word I can use to describe what you will read.
While a free-fall tumbling body reaches a terminal velocity (~100mph depending upon a whole host of factors) quite quickly limiting the impact, a plane (even damaged) has a far greater terminal velocity, particularly once the wings separate. The human body does not withstand +20g impacts with grace ...

< Message edited by PaxMondo -- 4/19/2018 3:21:08 AM >

Pax

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 12
RE: Admiral Yamamoto G4M1 Betty 2656 Bougainville Crash... - 4/19/2018 9:26:10 AM   
LeeChard

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

I read his bio, The Reluctant Admiral quite some time ago. The author mentioned speculation that one of his aids posed the body. I assume no one has ever come forward with either an admission, eyewitness account, or evidence but the serene repose of the body certainly is incredibly unlikely. The wounds... well there are fragments I suppose. Even something small through the head would have killed him, especially coupled with a plane crash.

I always thought the reports of the 'dignified repose' to be understandable propaganda by the Japanese.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 13
RE: Admiral Yamamoto G4M1 Betty 2656 Bougainville Crash... - 4/19/2018 10:43:09 AM   
Alpha77

Such a pity did the Japanese did not preserve his body in "spirits" like it is said the British did with Nelson

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 14
RE: Admiral Yamamoto G4M1 Betty 2656 Bougainville Crash... - 4/19/2018 12:55:36 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alpha77

Such a pity did the Japanese did not preserve his body in "spirits" like it is said the British did with Nelson

Please look up the definition of the word "remnants".

Pax

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 15
RE: Admiral Yamamoto G4M1 Betty 2656 Bougainville Crash... - 4/19/2018 3:12:01 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: LeeChard

quote:

quote:

I always thought the reports of the 'dignified repose' to be understandable propaganda by the Japanese.

Sure, just pointing out that, unlike many other historical events corrected by factual revelations, that secret has been kept. No one believes the claim.

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 16
RE: Admiral Yamamoto G4M1 Betty 2656 Bougainville Crash... - 4/19/2018 3:21:12 PM   
Yaab

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

“That son of a b*tch will not be dictating any peace terms in the White House.”
Captain Thomas G. Lanphier Jr.

"You didn't invite me, so I crashed!"
Penguin

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 17
RE: Admiral Yamamoto G4M1 Betty 2656 Bougainville Crash... - 4/19/2018 4:10:56 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sure, just pointing out that, unlike many other historical events corrected by factual revelations, that secret has been kept. No one believes the claim.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 18
RE: Admiral Yamamoto G4M1 Betty 2656 Bougainville Crash... - 4/19/2018 5:03:02 PM   
anarchyintheuk

My goal for today is to find a way to use 'ejecta' in a sentence in my office environment.

Edited for not paying attention in grammar class 40+ years ago.

< Message edited by anarchyintheuk -- 4/19/2018 5:08:35 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 19
RE: Admiral Yamamoto G4M1 Betty 2656 Bougainville Crash... - 4/19/2018 5:13:29 PM   
Yaab

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Clutch swordplay I guess.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20
RE: Admiral Yamamoto G4M1 Betty 2656 Bougainville Crash... - 4/19/2018 5:17:15 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

My goal for today is to find a way to use 'ejecta' in a sentence in my office environment.

Do NOT use your bathroom break as the opportunity - TMI.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 21
RE: Admiral Yamamoto G4M1 Betty 2656 Bougainville Crash... - 4/19/2018 5:33:36 PM   
witpqs

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 22
RE: Admiral Yamamoto G4M1 Betty 2656 Bougainville Crash... - 4/19/2018 5:34:39 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

Wait for someone to drink coffee; say something so outrageous it causes "ejecta".

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 23
RE: Admiral Yamamoto G4M1 Betty 2656 Bougainville Crash... - 4/19/2018 5:49:33 PM   
Yaab

And when your sword bounces off enemy's armor it is "Sorta Rejecta".

< Message edited by Yaab -- 4/19/2018 5:50:36 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Admiral Yamamoto G4M1 Betty 2656 Bougainville Crash Site from this week Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI