Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving... Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 5/14/2018 5:40:20 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

For now, I seem to have solved my map-orientation issues. I've slid stiff plexiglass underneath the maps, allowing me effectively to extend my table a few inches on each side. It seems pretty stable on the whole. I worry mostly about Honolulu, but in the event of seismic activity on the far east end of the map, I can temporarily relocate Nimitz and friends to a safe spot on the ocean floor. :)

Now to start setting up Global War, for solitaire play. This will bring up an even more heart-wrenching moral question: whether to clip the counters. I have my trusty Oregon counter-clippers (in smaller and larger sizes), but the thought of clipping thousands of counters makes my hand hurt. Also, these counters have side-sprues, which might make the need for clipping less acute. I will probably resolve this dilemma when I start setting up my first country.

Another question: which optionals? I know that's a huge topic, but if anyone has some quick thoughts on optionals for CE, I'm all ears. I play with most of the MWiF options; I usually don't play with Cruisers in Flames. I'm open to suggestions.

warspite1

If you are going to start a game you may want to check out the errata that's already started appearing....

https://www.a-d-g.com.au/pages/downloads

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 181
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 5/14/2018 7:52:37 AM   
Joseignacio

Well, my friends just received their deluxe. The game is nice but i was not impressed except for the map. The counters had the same size (i thought they were slightly bigger), the side-sprues may avoid the trimming but they may be a problem themselves (dunno because we didn't separate the counters yet, if they keep that little dot with them.

There were more full colour A3 combat tables. A separate reminder of the terrain cost apart from the one printed, the production circle and other auxiliary tables were also in cardboard...

Improvements, no doubt, but not as much as I thought they'd be, so my anxiety is calmed.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 5/14/2018 8:26:25 AM >

(in reply to Timian)
Post #: 182
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 5/14/2018 7:30:29 PM   
Grotius

quote:

If you are going to start a game you may want to check out the errata that's already started appearing....

Thanks, Warspite. Fortunately, it's a pretty short list of errata so far.

quote:

Improvements, no doubt, but not as much as I thought they'd be, so my anxiety is calmed.

LoL, I'm glad you're calmed! I've never owned the boardgame, so for me, this package is glorious. As you say, the maps are the best part. But the counters are quite beautiful too. I'm glad they're not larger, because that would require larger maps, heh. So far I've had pretty good look punching out the counters. Yes, a little side nub sometimes remains, but I've had success filing these down with my fingernail. I might use a nail-file to do a cleaner job of it. I'm inclined NOT to clip the counters, because the corners are clean, and the counters are already on the small side.

Much as I like MWIF, it's great to be able to look at the entire board in one glance, and not to have to zoom in or out or whatnot. Also, the physical map and counters are so darned colorful. Even the rule and scenario books are beautiful -- nicer than a PDF.

On optionals, the main issue I'm wrestling with is whether to use any of CLiF, Convoys in Flames, and Rough Seas. I know CLiF is very pro-Allied, and my games already lean toward the Allied side. Does CoIF rebalance the game toward the Axis? I hear Rough Seas does, but I'm not sure it sounds like a fun option to play with. Any advice on these optionals?

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 183
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 5/14/2018 7:53:33 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

For now, I seem to have solved my map-orientation issues. I've slid stiff plexiglass underneath the maps, allowing me effectively to extend my table a few inches on each side. It seems pretty stable on the whole. I worry mostly about Honolulu, but in the event of seismic activity on the far east end of the map, I can temporarily relocate Nimitz and friends to a safe spot on the ocean floor. :)

Now to start setting up Global War, for solitaire play. This will bring up an even more heart-wrenching moral question: whether to clip the counters. I have my trusty Oregon counter-clippers (in smaller and larger sizes), but the thought of clipping thousands of counters makes my hand hurt. Also, these counters have side-sprues, which might make the need for clipping less acute. I will probably resolve this dilemma when I start setting up my first country.

Another question: which optionals? I know that's a huge topic, but if anyone has some quick thoughts on optionals for CE, I'm all ears. I play with most of the MWiF options; I usually don't play with Cruisers in Flames. I'm open to suggestions.

warspite1

https://www.a-d-g.com.au/pages/downloads

Noooooooooo!

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 184
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 5/14/2018 10:24:15 PM   
paulderynck

I don't know why people would want to play with Rough Seas. Are you out to simulate WWII with or without Admiral Halsey's typhoon? It's worthless chrome IMNSHO.

Paul

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 185
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 5/14/2018 11:09:04 PM   
BrianJH

I'm starting light and easy, so I've setup the WiF Classic Barbarossa scenario.

This is a beautiful game.

Brian.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by BrianJH -- 5/14/2018 11:28:04 PM >

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 186
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 5/15/2018 1:35:11 AM   
davidachamberlain

Thanks for the image.

However, I wonder about the counter colors.

It looks like USSR is Orange and Germany is Beige. I checked on 2 different machines/screens and still see that on both.

The map colors look normal - just the counters.

Dave

(in reply to BrianJH)
Post #: 187
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 5/15/2018 2:53:26 AM   
BrianJH

quote:

ORIGINAL: davidachamberlain

Thanks for the image.

However, I wonder about the counter colors.

It looks like USSR is Orange and Germany is Beige. I checked on 2 different machines/screens and still see that on both.

The map colors look normal - just the counters.

Dave

Yeah - I think the colors look washed out a bit due to the lack of lighting in my gaming room, as you'll notice that the left hand side of the photo is somewhat darker than the right hand side. Also, the Romanian counters that come with the game, are printed in a slightly lighter shade of grey, than the German counters, together all these effects are making them appear closer to CW counters.

Probably lost a bit of resolution as well, as I had to shrink the photo so it displays properly on this forum, the original was way too big!!

Brian

< Message edited by BrianJH -- 5/15/2018 2:56:23 AM >

(in reply to davidachamberlain)
Post #: 188
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 5/15/2018 7:02:29 AM   
juntoalmar

I have only played to MWiF and looking at your picture some things arise. For instance, the lack of land space for Finland in the map changes completely what you can do with the Finnish troops, right? I usually try to go around Ladoga lake and cut some train connections in MWiF, but that seems to be not possible here. Do you think your options are reduced with the physical map compared to MWiF?

(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/

(in reply to BrianJH)
Post #: 189
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 5/15/2018 9:17:06 AM   
Centuur

quote:

ORIGINAL: juntoalmar

I have only played to MWiF and looking at your picture some things arise. For instance, the lack of land space for Finland in the map changes completely what you can do with the Finnish troops, right? I usually try to go around Ladoga lake and cut some train connections in MWiF, but that seems to be not possible here. Do you think your options are reduced with the physical map compared to MWiF?

There is an optional Scandinavian map also present in the game. But to be honest, I like MWIF because it has the unified map...

Peter

(in reply to juntoalmar)
Post #: 190
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 5/15/2018 6:53:14 PM   
paulderynck

The off-map box rules have been revised in CE with the hope of being able to play the game quite effectively without the Scandinavian and Africa maps (and BTW the Territorials have been revised too which also lessens the need to use the Africa map).

Paul

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 191
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 5/16/2018 2:14:22 AM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

quote:

ORIGINAL: juntoalmar

There is an optional Scandinavian map also present in the game. But to be honest, I like MWIF because it has the unified map...
The whole dynamic with Finland and the USSR seems significantly different between WiF and MWiF. In WiF, as I see in the map above, there's not much room to maneuver (e.g., flank each other) and a lot fewer hexes to defend to protect Murmansk and Archangel. How does all that work in WiF? Does the map in MWiF make it too easy for the Germans to cut off Murmansk and flank the Soviets in the north?

Ronnie

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 192
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 5/16/2018 2:16:54 AM   
paulderynck

The short answer is Yes, but so did the Scandinavian map in WiF.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 5/16/2018 2:17:37 AM >

Paul

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 193
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 5/16/2018 2:22:22 AM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

The short answer is Yes, but so did the Scandinavian map in WiF.
Thanks. Also, without the Scandinavian map is appears much easier to keep your forces in supply moving between Murmansk and south through Karelin that it is in MWiF.

Ronnie

Post #: 194
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 5/16/2018 3:42:18 AM   
toenailthehun

I really miss being able to walk around that map.

I need a Wargame room first, before I invest in this monster.
Now which of the children currently occupy the room I need???

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 195
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 5/16/2018 8:24:04 AM   
Joseignacio

Yes, you can do things in the WIF game in the Finland area. Remember offmap hexes in the cardboard wargame can hold 4 units or 5 if playing with divs as long as at least one is a div.

No, it's not easy because of the difficulty to maneuver and because of supply.

There is some patch in the new map for that area. I don't like it either. I would prefer Scandinavia map, unfortunately this doesn't seem to be popular in my group.

(in reply to toenailthehun)
Post #: 196
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 5/16/2018 2:50:08 PM   
Capitaine

My game arrived yesterday in all its glory. Still in shrinkwrap; unboxing will no doubt be an elaborate operation. But it looks like a beautiful product on the outside!

Post #: 197
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 5/16/2018 9:12:31 PM   
brian brian

quote:

On optionals, the main issue I'm wrestling with is whether to use any of CLiF, Convoys in Flames, and Rough Seas. I know CLiF is very pro-Allied, and my games already lean toward the Allied side. Does CoIF rebalance the game toward the Axis? I hear Rough Seas does, but I'm not sure it sounds like a fun option to play with. Any advice on these optionals?

I'm not sure you are going to get very many informed opinions on those questions. The entire ASW rule has been re-written and even the combat results system for Sub Combat has been changed in Collector's Edition. On top of that, the CoIF counters are different now too. I have no idea how the new rules will work out on those.

Since you are playing a new game with lots and lots of small new rules changes, I would start out by playing without any extra counters. There will be plenty to absorb without the extra kits.

WiF has always looked good with the colorful counters all over the map, particularly in the middle of the war with all of the countries active, but not yet the really high counter densities of the late war. I have always liked using the Minor Country Convoy Point counters, even thought we use the original rule of just using Major Power CP counters, because they look good on the map. (In other words, we totally ignore the Cooperation rule for Minor Convoy Points - silly).

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 198
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 5/17/2018 3:20:28 AM   
Grotius

Thanks for your advice, Brian. You're right -- even the playtesters say they haven't played with the new CoIF counters. And I'm no guru on RAW7, to say nothing of RAW8, so it probably makes sense for me to simplify my workload for a first play. I do want to play with oil, and I fear CoIF would make oil more complex. So yeah, I've been setting up my first game without either CLiF or CoIF. I sorta look at all those pretty aux cruisers sadly as I put them in my "not this time" box, but there will be a next time.

I'm in the unusual position of playing the boardgame after having tested and played MWIF for 12 years. It's a very different experience, and it's not just the differing map. Just setting the game up has given me a more intuitive sense of how things fit together. For example, I now physically see a couple dozen force pools for each major power; in MWIF, I'd have to filter the force pools to do that, and I don't do that often. Already I have a clearer idea of what's in each pool, and what units I *didn't* draw when setting up. Also, without Steve's helpful guiding hand, I have to find things myself -- enforce the US trade agreements, for example. (Including one with Italy now; I don't recall that in MWIF.)

Anyway, setup for Global War is going smoothly so far. It took me a while to grok sorting counters and reading the setup charts, but now it seems easy. (I fired up MWIF to check some of my work.) I've done the USA and USSR; working on Italy now. Maybe I'll post an AAR somewhere. Half-tempted to post it in these forums, to give people a sense of the many differences between MWIF and CE.

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 199
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 5/17/2018 5:09:04 AM   
Grotius

One mundane question: where do people typically keep the reserve pool? The game allocates a tiny little wedge of the production-wheel board for this pool, but that wedge is already brimming with Soviet reserves. I'm using counter trays for everything else (GMT & Plano); maybe I need one more just for the reserve pool?

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 200
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 5/17/2018 6:16:42 AM   
paulderynck

I want to say most people but I think my sample space does not allow that claim, but "most people" put the reserve land units in one of their force pool compartments and just aircraft in the reserve pool on the production chart, usually stacked in several piles (number according to room and what makes personal sense, cream of the crop on top) so all will fit.

Paul

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 201
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 5/17/2018 6:19:56 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

Anyway, setup for Global War is going smoothly so far. It took me a while to grok sorting counters and reading the setup charts, but now it seems easy. (I fired up MWIF to check some of my work.) I've done the USA and USSR; working on Italy now. Maybe I'll post an AAR somewhere. Half-tempted to post it in these forums, to give people a sense of the many differences between MWIF and CE.

There have been a few minor errata for CE including some for setting up some of the scenarios. You can get them from the ADG website.

Paul

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 202
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 5/17/2018 7:36:04 AM   
Joseignacio

Reserve... I use these boxes, and keep the reserves together in one of the compartments.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0714/3419/files/Counter_lollies_large.JPG?v=1476217487

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 5/17/2018 7:44:10 AM >

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 203
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 5/17/2018 1:41:41 PM   
Courtenay

Frankly, I never liked the Scandinavian map; the game scale of WiF is wrong to properly simulate the Finish war. The off map boxes actually did a far better job of recreating what (didn't) happen in that theater.

I thought I knew how to play this game....

Post #: 204
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 5/18/2018 2:50:09 AM   
rkr1958

quote:

Half-tempted to post it in these forums, to give people a sense of the many differences between MWIF and CE.
I for one would completely enjoy that. Please do if you have the time.

Ronnie

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 205
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 5/19/2018 12:52:36 AM   
Grotius

I'll see how things go, Ronnie. I might do it!

Another mundane question. In Global War, China has already called out its reserves. But I see in MWIF, the Sian militia (not a reserve) is placed on map, while the Lan Chow milita (a reserve) remains in the force pool. Should it be the other way around? Or should both be on the map? I'm trying to figure out which of the two to place in my CE game, which gives the Communists 1 MIL but also says China has already called out the reserves.

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 206
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 5/19/2018 10:53:14 PM   
etsadler

RE: The Counters.

1) My Germans are clearly gray and black. Russia orange.
2) The counters separate so well that I can hardly see or feel the "nub".
3) Since in my first copy of WiF 1st edition the counters literally separated into the cardboard core and little paper fronts and backs that I had to glue back together, I wouldn't complain about much!

Enjoy!

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 207
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 5/19/2018 11:10:06 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

Another mundane question. In Global War, China has already called out its reserves. But I see in MWIF, the Sian militia (not a reserve) is placed on map, while the Lan Chow milita (a reserve) remains in the force pool. Should it be the other way around? Or should both be on the map? I'm trying to figure out which of the two to place in my CE game, which gives the Communists 1 MIL but also says China has already called out the reserves.

The set-up states China forces as X/Y where X is Nationalist and Y is Commie. If no X/Y and just a number, it is Nationalist. Since they are at war, all reserves are added before you do random selection of 1 Chicom MIL.

Paul

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 208
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 5/20/2018 12:16:28 AM   
Grotius

Paul, that makes sense to me. But unless I'm mistaken, that's not how it works in MWIF. RAW7 has the same setup for China as the Collector's Edition, from what I can tell -- it calls for 1 MIL. But when I load a saved China-setup game, I get 1 MIL (Sian) only -- the reserve MIL (Lanchow) is in the China force pool, not the setup tray or on the map. Now, this save is not from the current version of MWIF, so maybe it's been changed?

Post #: 209
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 5/20/2018 1:55:53 AM   
paulderynck

You would have to start a new game from scratch to be sure. As the draws are randomized, you might have to start several.

Or - it's a bug.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 5/20/2018 1:56:11 AM >

Paul

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving... Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI