Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Twin Powered Operated 20mm

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Twin Powered Operated 20mm Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Twin Powered Operated 20mm - 5/19/2018 7:09:27 PM   
Heeward

I have been reading on Royal Navy Cruisers at WW@ Cruisers and Battleships recently
https://www.world-war.com

It states that many RN Cruisers Mid-Late War were refitted with twin powered operated 20mm AA guns in lieu of either quad 0.5" machine guns or other 20mm single mounts

Does anyone have information on the RN twin powered operated 20mm AA mount?

Last is it modeled in the game?

The Wake
Post #: 1
RE: Twin Powered Operated 20mm - 5/20/2018 6:33:13 AM   
Buckrock

The stock game does not model the twin mount specifically but rather groups together the 20mm weapons according to their location on the ship (left, right, rear) regardless of whether they were single, twin or quad AA mounts.

The Brits in the game use the same 20mm device for their ships as the USA does.

This site ("Naval Weapons") should have most of the details you need on the real war weapon, including the twin 20mm.
http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_2cm-70_mk234.php

This was the only sig line I could think of.

(in reply to Heeward)
Post #: 2
RE: Twin Powered Operated 20mm - 5/20/2018 7:17:00 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buckrock

The stock game does not model the twin mount specifically but rather groups together the 20mm weapons according to their location on the ship (left, right, rear) regardless of whether they were single, twin or quad AA mounts.

This site ("Naval Weapons") should have most of the details you need on the real war weapon, including the twin 20mm.

In a way it does model the mount. There are two number in the editor plus a position letter or two. One number indicates the number of barrels at the position, the second number called "mount" specifies how many barrels per mount, and of course the position is F/LS/RS/C/A.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Buckrock)
Post #: 3
RE: Twin Powered Operated 20mm - 5/20/2018 10:36:12 AM   
Buckrock

I assumed he was asking if the historically more effective twin 20mm Oerlikon/powered deck-mount combination was modelled differently in the game to something like two single free-swinging mounts. To my knowledge, it isn't. All Brit shipboard Oerlikons appear to be the same type of weapon in stock, regardless of how many are listed per mount in the editor.

And if we went by the AE editor as a mounting guide, some WWII warships would have been sailing around with dozens of AA guns on a single mount.

< Message edited by Buckrock -- 5/20/2018 11:05:57 AM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4
RE: Twin Powered Operated 20mm - 5/20/2018 7:35:07 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

I assumed he was asking if the historically more effective twin 20mm Oerlikon/powered deck-mount combination was modelled differently in the game to something like two single free-swinging mounts. To my knowledge, it isn't. All Brit shipboard Oerlikons appear to be the same type of weapon in stock, regardless of how many are listed per mount in the editor.

And if we went by the AE editor as a mounting guide, some WWII warships would have been sailing around with dozens of AA guns on a single mount.

I don't get that last part. If the Editor says there are 12 guns of a given caliber in a specific position, and then says "Mount: 1", that means there is one barrel per mount, not one mount with 12 barrels.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Buckrock)
Post #: 5
RE: Twin Powered Operated 20mm - 5/21/2018 2:46:53 AM   
Buckrock

My bad, you're correct on what the mounting number means. I tend to just focus on total guns of a particular type and overall firepower.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6
RE: Twin Powered Operated 20mm - 5/23/2018 4:02:56 AM   
Heeward

quote:

Thanks for the source.
Well when I get some time I will have to mod this weapon in to the game database.

The Wake

(in reply to Buckrock)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Twin Powered Operated 20mm Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI