Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: All things Football (soccer) related

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  105 106 [107] 108 109   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/17/2018 5:15:24 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pilsator

That was fat lazy arrogant cows vs hard working men with a spirit and a will, deserved victory for Mexico.

Why so insulting?

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Pilsator)
Post #: 3181
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/17/2018 5:59:41 PM   
rico21

Victory requires no explanation, defeat admits none.
Viva Mexico.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3182
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/17/2018 8:06:51 PM   
shunwick

Group E first round of games are now completed.

Costa Rica 0 Serbia 1. Serbia did enough to deserve the win in a fairly enjoyable opening group game.

Brazil 1 Switzerland 1. Smashing goal from Coutinho and a controversial, although probably correct. equalizer from Zuber. The point is if you disallow the equalizer for that little push then you will have to give penalties for nearly every corner in the game. You can't have one without the other and be fair to all sides. Brazil were a little disappointing and Switzerland more adventurous than I expected.

Best wishes,

Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 6/17/2018 8:08:01 PM >

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 3183
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/18/2018 6:21:48 AM   
warspite1

So this evening comes the moment of truth. Gareth Southgate has been receiving good press for the way he's handled things so far, the players appear relaxed, the team are united.... but will all that translate into a different outcome for the national team when they actually play a match in the world cup i.e. can they do it when it matters?

They shouldn't lose tonight (but then shouldn't have lost to Iceland). A defeat is unthinkable, a draw not much better, and a scrappy win only slightly above that. We (England supporters) can but hope that all these positive vibes translates into not just a win, but a good team performance.

C'mon England

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3184
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/18/2018 7:25:57 AM   
Pilsator

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Why so insulting?

Which insult? Cows on the Pitch is a saying here and a synonym.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3185
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/18/2018 11:15:00 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pilsator

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Why so insulting?

Which insult? Cows on the Pitch is a saying here and a synonym.

Ok. To me it come across as a little bit insulting. I take that it wasn't intended as such, and that I misunderstood the meaning of the comment.

Lets move on, and enjoy all the fun matches we have ahead of us. Even though not all results will be to our liking. Or at least I doubt that they will be for me since I sincerely doubt that Sweden will win the tournament.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Pilsator)
Post #: 3186
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/18/2018 12:12:13 PM   
loki100

possibly the team of the tournament so far?

I mean - who needs cows when you can have otters on the pitch?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3187
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/18/2018 1:24:20 PM   
TulliusDetritus

The horde of the tournament in Volgograd aka Stalingrad aka Tunisia vs England this afternoon [good match for the lulz]. If the locusts finally appear (and they are more or less expected), it's going to be Gengis Khan Redux.

And if I'm wrong His Excellency Comrade Vlad might finally unleash his Spetsnazesque brutes (after he's removed their muzzles) to trash* the bald and fat western spionen.

* Operation Uranus

Attachment (1)

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3188
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/18/2018 1:59:12 PM   
shunwick

First round games in Group F are now complete.

Germany 0 Mexico 1. The Germans threw all caution to the wind as they attempted to walk the ball into the net. With a little more composure the Mexican counter attack could have added another two goals.

Sweden 1 South Korea 0. A game of niggling fouls but enjoyable nonetheless. Sweden did enough to earn the win with a VAR encouraged penalty. Goals may be thin on the ground for both of these teams.

Early days.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 3189
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/18/2018 3:38:51 PM   
Orm

A fine day today, a fine day.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3190
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/18/2018 8:00:16 PM   
shunwick

First round games in Group G are now complete.

Belgium 3 Panama 0. A strangely awkward looking Belgium left it a bit late for their cutting edge to do the cutting. They will be happy with the result but not so much with performance.

England 2 Tunisia 1. England worked hard for it and with some strange non-decisions from the ref and the much vaunted VAR. Tunisia worked hard but had little in the way of a goal threat.

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 6/18/2018 8:06:48 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3191
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/19/2018 6:12:08 AM   
warspite1

Different manager, different system, different players....same performance. Square balls, balls in to feet with the receiving player back to goal and no imagination.

Thankfully Sir Harry got England out of trouble but that shouldn't mask the fact that - the opening 15-20 mins aside - England remain a team totally unable to unlock stubborn defences. Yes we should have had two penalties (what were the VAR blokes actually watching let alone the ref of the linesman?) but.....

Second half Tunisia offered absolutely nothing. We kept three central defenders in place - although at least Maguire went forward on occasion, but why didn't Walker do the same (just one time I saw him on the right wing). With little Tripps the best crosser we've had since Beckham, why not double up on the right? Walker and Tripps with Rashford inside right. England as a unit just don't seem to have tactical flexibility. Tunisia reacted to England's corners by flooding the penalty spot area. When they did, as an alternative every now and then why not have someone come short to the corner of the penalty area? Or - as Dier has done at Tottenham - have someone darting in to the near post? In other words, why can't we mix it up? Show tactical creativity? The opening 15-20 mins aside (and a couple late on from Rashford), where were the runs at the defence, where was the defence splitting pass BEHIND the defence a la Spain or Germany or.... most countries? Its not rocket science. The most basic defenders in the world can cope with square balls, opponents receiving the ball with their back to goal. What they can't deal with easily is pace, its being run at, its a lack of knowing what the opposition will do next. We don't give defenders those problems.

And can someone please tell me, why was Raheem Sterling even on the plane? Let's be clear, he is a forward, he has pace and trickery in abundance. For England he is total rubbish and has been consistently in every game that matters since he made his debut.

If we are to progress - and certainly if we want to beat Belgium - we need to sort this shambles out.

I suspect Cahill and Dier were told before the match that they would be in the team for the Belgium game and last night confirmed that.

To end on a positive - well played Tripps, Maguire (after a really shaky start that could have sunk him, he at least tried going forward), Rashford, Loftus-Cheek and of course Sir Harry.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/19/2018 6:24:07 AM >

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3192
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/19/2018 9:34:25 AM   
bazjak

Warspite
Just goes to prove a point
Messi and Sterling seem to perform well for there respective clubs but not their countries
Why is that you may ask
Its because at their clubs they a surrounded by world class players who feed them
It just goes to prove how good Ranaldo is

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3193
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/19/2018 9:48:41 AM   
rico21

Football, with all the money it's thrashing, has generated armies of mercenaries ready to sell to the highest bidder.
Do you believe these people come to play for their country or advertise themselves to make even more money?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3194
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/19/2018 10:45:15 AM   
TulliusDetritus

I think I never saw this before At some moments Tunisia totally refused to attack when they had the ball. There's parking the bus and then there's another grotesque level: what I saw yesterday. Which means they did not deserve to harvest a single point.

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 3195
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/19/2018 11:15:17 AM   
Piteas

Sometimes, the football is fair and yesterday England deserved the victory. As Belgium... and Sweden? Well...
Today Salah and his Egypt have the last chance.
Dont´forget the unpredictable caribbean dance against Zen Buddhism (Col vs Jap)

< Message edited by Piteas -- 6/19/2018 11:17:00 AM >

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 3196
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/19/2018 5:02:30 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: bazjak

Warspite
Just goes to prove a point
Messi and Sterling seem to perform well for there respective clubs but not their countries
Why is that you may ask
Its because at their clubs they a surrounded by world class players who feed them
It just goes to prove how good Ranaldo is
warspite1

You've bracketed Messi in the same sentence as Sterling. Well sorry but I couldn't agree less. Yes Ronaldo is an incredible player, but so is Messi.

(in reply to bazjak)
Post #: 3197
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/19/2018 5:04:45 PM   
shunwick

The first round games in Group H are now complete.

Colombia 1 Japan 2. Only caught the final few minutes of this game. Apparently Colombia were down to 10 men for most of the match. Japan will be happy with result.

Poland 1 Senegal 2. A Polish side proved that while you can manipulate the world rankings to get a better seed at the World Cup Finals, you will get found out when you get there. Senegal took full advantage of sloppy Polish play. Last 6 minutes were quite good. The rest of it - basically something you will see in a mid-table clash in any of the top European leagues.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to Piteas)
Post #: 3198
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/20/2018 5:03:39 PM   
shunwick

The second round of games in Group A are now complete.

Russia 3 Egypt 1. Things continue to well for the home nation. Which is nice to see especially since they were expected to struggle to get out the group. Egypt have no cutting edge beyond the mighty Mo and he was, unfortunately, not fit. At least he scored a penalty.

Uruguay 1 Saudi Arabia 0. Uruguay don't care that the game was a bore-fest. Saudi have no cutting edge.

So Russia and Uruguay go through to the second round. Egypt and Saudi Arabia become teams two and three to book their flights home. It remains to be decided who tops the group and who finishes bottom.

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 6/20/2018 5:04:34 PM >

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3199
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/20/2018 8:05:32 PM   
shunwick

The second round of Group B games are now complete.

Portugal 1 Morocco 0. Ronaldo's header was pretty much all that separated the teams. Portugal are an average team plus Ronaldo. They rely on him too much though and it could be a weakness later in the competition. Morocco are a decent team but they have no cutting edge at all. Morocco became the first team to book their flights home.

Spain 1 Iran 0. Diego Costa's right knee came between Spain and Iran. Iran dug in and were hugely defensive before the goal but proved they could cause Spain problems in the last half hour.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3200
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/21/2018 5:06:09 PM   
shunwick

The second round of games in Group C are now complete.

Denmark 1 Australia 1. Enjoyable game to watch. Denmark disappointing, especially in the second half. Australian equalizer came from a VAR inspired soft penalty (and I am being generous here). Australia have no cutting edge. Still in with a chance but they play Peru in their last game and they are another team that cannot score goals. High quality goal from Denmark.

France 1 Peru 0. France are quality in patches but overall disappointing so far. Peru have no credible cutting edge and it's a real shame that they become the fourth team to book their flight back home.

Anyone willing to share their thoughts on VAR? It's still on trial and obviously with teething troubles. As I understand it, it's supposed to provide clarity on controversial decisions or to spot things the ref misses. But so far, it seems to have caused as much controversy as is supposed to stop. Early days for VAR? Or an experiment too far?

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 6/21/2018 5:09:14 PM >

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3201
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/21/2018 5:36:09 PM   
rico21

To complete the Tabloid.
The France team is very disappointing.
In two games, she won only twice.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3202
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/21/2018 8:00:07 PM   
shunwick

OMG

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 3203
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/21/2018 8:26:11 PM   
warspite1

Two games - two excellent performances from Modric. Croatia are not a team I'd like to play in the next round.

VAR what a total and utter joke.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3204
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/22/2018 8:30:34 AM   
Piteas

Yesterday, it was very funny watching the argentine TVs after the Argentina vs Croatia. A team never received so many and imaginative insults

The argentine commentators have a reputation for being crazy, but yesterday they were possesed for the devil.

"Messi, you´re the son of 70.000 bitches...sorry, not thousands... son of 70.000 millions of bitches!"
"Caballero (goalkeeper), be a honorable man...Commit suicide!"
"Now I want to die, I want to die... we´re a f* joke for the Brasilians"
"Messi, stay in Barcelona. Don´t back to Argentina. It is a friend´s advice"
"Messi is God, of course... because he never appears when you call him!"
"I hate them. The exile is little sentence for them... you understand my words.

Etc..

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3205
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/22/2018 9:14:14 AM   
VPaulus

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Two games - two excellent performances from Modric. Croatia are not a team I'd like to play in the next round.

I haven't seen many games, but it already helpded in one or two games. Maybe you are just seeing the negative side.
In Portugal, we've played the last season with VAR and I think the outcome is positive.
I agree it still needs to be tweaked. But it's the future.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3206
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/22/2018 1:12:45 PM   
bazjak

Messi has only played for one team for most of his career and that team is Barca
A team that has some of the best and gifted players in the world
Take him away from those superstars and put him in a team that is average (like most teams ) and he is an average player
If you want to be the best you have to work at it like Ranaldo
Portugal are not a very good team but he is proving how good he is

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 3207
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/22/2018 5:08:09 PM   
shunwick

The second round of games in Group D are now complete.

Argentina 0 Croatia 3. The Argentinians commit ritual suicide as Croatia dish out plenty of misery on Messi & co on top of some clinical finishing. I described Portugal earlier as being an average team plus Ronaldo. I was thinking of calling Argentina a below average team plus Messi. But, to be honest, I don't think Argentina are team at all. They have one game left in the group against Nigeria and they have to perform just to recapture a little bit a pride. Congrats to Croatia who confirm their place in the knockout round.

Iceland 0 Nigeria 2. Nigeria were well worth the win including two cracking goals. Iceland missed a VAR induced penalty late in the game with the ball still rising. Everything is set up nicely for a group finish and the Nigeria v Argentina game on Tuesday is looking a bit tasty.

So Argentina still have a chance to qualify from the group as do Nigeria. If Argentina are to progress they will have to become a team. They have until Tuesday to work on that.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to bazjak)
Post #: 3208
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/22/2018 5:18:16 PM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

quote:

I haven't seen many games, but it already helpded in one or two games. Maybe you are just seeing the negative side.
In Portugal, we've played the last season with VAR and I think the outcome is positive.

Overall, I agree that VAR is the future and needing to be tweaked, certainly. We need to see more consistency between VAR and Refs. It is by no means a perfect system and probably never will be. The best we can hope for is that the combination of Refs plus VAR get more decisions right than they get wrong.

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 6/22/2018 5:19:49 PM >

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 3209
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/22/2018 6:17:14 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

quote:

warspite1

Yes I am seeing the negative side. To be clear if VAR works as it should then it is a good thing.

Did anyone watch the Argentina vs Croatia game? There were potentially bone breaking challenges going on and Otamendi kicked a Croatian in the back whilst the latter was on the floor. In a non-VAR world the talking point would be the referee who makes the wrong decisions. In a VAR world the talking point is the VAR refs that missed them. The difference? The VAR refs are supposed to have the benefit of numerous replays from different angles to see what the ref may have missed.

So then what the hell was last night all about? What was Harry Kane getting wrestled to the ground Greco-Roman stylee all about?

Remember referees have been told at this World Cup to try and cut-out the wrestling in the box. So if that is a specific edict from on high then why were the VAR refs to inept?

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 3210
Page:   <<   < prev  105 106 [107] 108 109   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  105 106 [107] 108 109   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI