Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: All things Football (soccer) related

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  109 110 [111] 112 113   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/28/2018 5:09:02 PM   
rico21

Apparently, these footballers look like conspirators.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3301
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/28/2018 5:49:00 PM   
ernieschwitz

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Speaking of , what is Southgate doing? That many changes is just plain dumb. Maguire has been shaky, so unless he is considering dropping him for the next game, why not give him more time to get a handle on international football? Why drop Sterling? He too needs a non-pressured game to get into the grove he allegedly is capable of.....

Really.Not.Happy.With.That

The match between England and Belgium has by my media been dubbed the game nobody wants to win. The reasoning being that the winner gets the harder side of the tournament tree... This is going to be a fun one to watch... Both sides will likely be sparing players, since both sides are certain to advance... If you are looking for a game with action, look at the other game in that group. They have nothing to play for in that game, but, at least they won't get punished for winning.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3302
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/28/2018 7:04:11 PM   
warspite1

Well there's 45 minutes of my life that have disappeared down a football shaped black hole.....

Dire. Absolutely dire. And the worst thing is, I think England are actually trying to win this.... At least Rose has tried.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 3303
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/28/2018 7:57:33 PM   
rico21

I congratulate the English team for being honest by avoiding the 0-0.

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 3304
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/28/2018 8:00:27 PM   
shunwick

The final round of games Group G are now complete.

England 0 Belgium 1. A friendly international in which Belgium were by far the better side. England were too predictable in attack and Marcus Rashford missed a glorious chance to level the game. Fortunately, both sides were trying to win the game and England, in particular, are a long way behind Belgium in terms of class. An absolute peach of a goal. The defeat will hurt England.

Panama 1 Tunsia 2. A game I did not watch.

The last sixteen pairings see Belgium v Japan and England v Colombia.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3305
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/28/2018 8:11:50 PM   
warspite1

England. A quality free zone. How dare those pundits waffle on about "we're in an easier half of the draw". Easier? No one is easy for England. Sweden or Switzerland? What the......? Yeah, try concentrating on beating the Colombians who, after a bad start, have now got the momentum we could've had going into the game.

In 90 minutes there was one - yep ONE - ball played in behind the defence (only for Rashford to fluff his lines). That is appalling. Who is coaching this rabble? At least there were a few runs at the Belgians - Rashford, Rose, Loftus-Cheek - but in all cases the end product just wasn't there. Dier offered nothing and I'm not even sure if Delph came out for the second-half.

I really hate this dumb game

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/28/2018 8:12:31 PM >

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3306
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/28/2018 8:20:06 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick
England, in particular, are a long way behind Belgium in terms of class. An absolute peach of a goal. The defeat will hurt England.

Look at the bright side: you're avoiding the slaughter house which does not mean you will be easily defeating the mob on the "easy" side

It's too early for England IMO. But the future has to be bright: your youngsters are harvesting titles = you're finally producing talent. Wait a bit more, cross your fingers and hope for the best: they might -or not, look at the Dutch- pay dividends soon... 5 to 10 years is not a crazy estimate.

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3307
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/28/2018 8:27:59 PM   
RFalvo69

I noticed a strange thing going on: all the teams who wore green were hammered: Germany, Mexico, Senegal... I wonder what caused this peculiar curse.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 3308
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/29/2018 5:27:58 AM   
warspite1

I think its clear from this view of the draw that either Spain or Croatia must be considered guaranteed finalists. I think either could win it but Croatia have looked very good in the group stage.

One thing is for certain. If the eventual World Champions do come from the top half of the draw then you will have to say they will have deserved it! Tough half or what?!

What a disastrous world cup for African football though....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/29/2018 5:36:45 AM >

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 3309
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/29/2018 6:08:17 AM   
NavalNewZ

< Message edited by NavalNewZ -- 6/29/2018 6:21:50 AM >

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 3310
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/29/2018 1:15:02 PM   
shunwick

quote:

I think its clear from this view of the draw that either Spain or Croatia must be considered guaranteed finalists. I think either could win it but Croatia have looked very good in the group stage.

One thing is for certain. If the eventual World Champions do come from the top half of the draw then you will have to say they will have deserved it! Tough half or what?!

What a disastrous world cup for African football though....

Some tasty looking games in the last sixteen.

Uruguay - Portugal is high on the tasteometer. While other teams and players have been grabbing the headlines, Potugal, Ronaldo, Brazil, Neymar, Germany, Argentina, Messi etc.. the Uruguayans have just been getting on with it. I like that about the Uruguayans.

France - Argentina also high on the tasteometer. Both teams disappointing so far and both teams owe the neutrals a good game.

Brazil - Mexico is high on the tasteometer. Brazil and Mexico are old enemies. Brazil are easing into top form and Mexico will work their little Mexican socks off.

Belgium v Japan will be worth watching. Japan have absolutely nothing to lose. Do they have the moral fibre to take the game to Belgium? Their last game would suggest not.

Spain - Russia could be a good game. The Spanish owe the neutrals a decent game. Russia began the tournament with no hope at all, played well in two games so that they were overhyped for the last one. Sounds familiar? Looking forward to this game. We will find out if Russia can get their heads right.

Croatia - Denmark. High on the Tasteometer. I want to know if Croatia are going to be a major force. They need to stuff the Danish pastries to look like genuine contenders though. Denmark have been disappointing so far.

Sweden - Switzerland is another game I am looking forward to. Could be undiluted stodge because it all depends on who dares... If both Sweden and Switzerland go for the win rather than penalties this could be a good game for watching.

Colombia v England Biggest game for England in decade. Will need to get a lot better if the want to beat Colombia. Colombia should fancy their chances. It all comes down to if the Colombians believe in themselves enough or whether they believe the English hype.

Best wishes,
Steve

PS. I certainly agree about the African nations. Generally disappointing.

< Message edited by shunwick -- 6/29/2018 1:18:48 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3311
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/29/2018 2:44:39 PM   
rico21

I do not know who will win the France-Argentina match and I really do not care, it will not change my life.
That being said, if France loses, it will be above all and above all the fault of the coach who will have built his team around Griezmann.
If France loses against Argentina, it will cause the resignation of the coach, who has committed to go to the quarterfinals and will be replaced by our national legend ...
Zinedine Zidane.

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 3312
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/30/2018 3:59:55 PM   
shunwick

The first game of the last sixteen knockout round sees:-

Argentina 3 France 4. Both teams owed the neutrals a game after their previous performances and both delivered. France edged it overall but fantastic strikes by Di Maria for Argentina and Pavard for France and MBappe probably man of the match. Pogba had great game as well. Messi only really came alive towards the end of the game as Argentina were chasing to overturn a 2-4 score-line.

France go through to the quarter-finals.

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 6/30/2018 4:01:47 PM >

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 3313
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/30/2018 4:06:14 PM   
warspite1

What a great start to the knockout stages! A shame Argentina didn't score their third a little earlier or that prize idiot Otemendi didn't make that dumbarse foul with 2 minutes to go because that would have set up even greater drama.

France deserved to progress and now meet Uruguay or Portugal. I wonder if both teams will finish with 11 men tonight

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3314
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/30/2018 4:10:53 PM   
shunwick

quote:

What a great start to the knockout stages! A shame Argentina didn't score their third a little earlier or that prize idiot Otemendi didn't make that dumbarse foul with 2 minutes to go because that would have set up even greater drama.

France deserved to progress and now meet Uruguay or Portugal. I wonder if both teams will finish with 11 men tonight

One GOAT down another to go?

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3315
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/30/2018 5:00:35 PM   
warspite1

Another GOAT down? I fancy Uruguay for this one so probably put your money on a Portugal win

Attachment (1)

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3316
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/30/2018 5:19:20 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: rico21

I do not know who will win the France-Argentina match and I really do not care, it will not change my life.
That being said, if France loses, it will be above all and above all the fault of the coach who will have built his team around Griezmann.
If France loses against Argentina, it will cause the resignation of the coach, who has committed to go to the quarterfinals and will be replaced by our national legend ...
Zinedine Zidane.

To me it looks like the French coach made the right call.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 3317
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/30/2018 5:22:19 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve

Can there be more than one GOAT?

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3318
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/30/2018 5:25:27 PM   
Orm

Well deserved win for France. Although they really should have scored at least twice in the first half. And the Argentinian improvement during the game was impressive.

Nice goals.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3319
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/30/2018 5:41:30 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve

Can there be more than one GOAT?
warspite1

Theoretically no, but as the title is subjective then yes I guess there can be.

After all no matter what Marandona or Pele or Cruyff or Ronaldo or Messi fans think about their pretenders, we at White Hart Lane have seen the one true GOAT...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muCWe-m-pMc

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3320
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/30/2018 6:54:01 PM   
rico21

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

Zinedine Zidane.

To me it looks like the French coach made the right call.

I would have preferred you to tell me before the match.
The Griezmann-Giroud tandem does not work.
Fortunately for him, Mbappe Kylian, 19 years old, new Maradona?
But distrust, the last time we tried to conquer Russia, it ended badly!

< Message edited by rico21 -- 7/1/2018 1:37:57 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3321
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/30/2018 7:45:43 PM   
UP844

quote:

But distrust, the last time we tried to conquer Russia, it ended badly!

You were not the only ones who tried: Teutonic Knights, Swedes, the Kaiser...

En maintenant... allez les Bleus!

Chasing Germans in the moonlight is no mean sport

Siegfried Sassoon

Long Range Fire (A7.22)........1/2 FP

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 3322
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/30/2018 8:01:37 PM   
shunwick

The second of the Last Sixteen round of games sees:

Portugal 1 Uruguay 2 Two great Cavani goals puts the Uruguayans in the quarter final tie against France. Another dramatic and very watchable game that this world Cup has produced. Uruguay just edged it as the Portuguese attack stuttered against some stubborn defence. Cavani and Suarez had great games and Suarez didn't even had to put the bite on Portugal. So both GOATS are going home and Baby GOAT doesn't play until Monday.

1st Quarter Final: France v Uruguay

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to UP844)
Post #: 3323
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/30/2018 8:15:36 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

if France loses, it will be above all and above all the fault of the coach who will have built his team around Griezmann.
Zinedine Zidane.

You've got a magnificent, full of talent team: you should be more optimist. I can see only the Brazilians defeating you. Chances are you will be bagging the title.

Uruguay will pay dearly the effort (Cavani is going to the drydock yes or yes). Kudos to them though.

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 3324
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/30/2018 8:43:39 PM   
TulliusDetritus

People are really fast. Someone already coined the "joke":

Don’t cry 4-3 Argentina

Post #: 3325
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/1/2018 9:46:43 AM   
warspite1

I find today's matches difficult to call.

Spain should have too much for Russia - but will home advantage inspire the Russians to victory? I would not be surprised if Russia edged through - but of course would not be in the least surprised if Spain won as expected.

As for Brazil - Mexico... as much as I want Mexico I think Brazil will be too strong.

Neither Brazil nor Spain have been at their best yet but maybe are looking to peak at the right time.

So I am going for a Russia vs Mexico Quarter-Final

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3326
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/1/2018 11:11:39 AM   
shunwick

quote:

Spain should have too much for Russia - but will home advantage inspire the Russians to victory? I would not be surprised if Russia edged through - but of course would not be in the least surprised if Spain won as expected.

As for Brazil - Mexico... as much as I want Mexico I think Brazil will be too strong.

Neither Brazil nor Spain have been at their best yet but maybe are looking to peak at the right time.

The two games today are:

Spain v Russia
Croatia v Denmark

Looking forward to both of these. The World Cup tournament is as much about mental strength, bravery, and courage as it is about technique, tactics, and skill. To win it, and to win it in style, you need everything in your locker - as a team, not just a random collection of eleven players. Group dynamics are crucial.

Carpe Jugulum boys.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3327
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/1/2018 11:45:09 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

The two games today are:

Spain v Russia
Croatia v Denmark

Looking forward to both of these. The World Cup tournament is as much about mental strength, bravery, and courage as it is about technique, tactics, and skill. To win it, and to win it in style, you need everything in your locker - as a team, not just a random collection of eleven players. Group dynamics are crucial.

Carpe Jugulum boys.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Yeah...ahem... I knew that..... So as I was saying before being so rudely interrupted .... the second game is Croatia vs Denmark. This is easier to call and will be a comfortable win from the Croats.

So its a Russia vs Croatia quarter final.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3328
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/1/2018 12:17:52 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Spain never defeated the host of a WC. You start somewhere, but that's some background.

Just in case the VAR room this afternoon:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 7/1/2018 12:18:07 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3329
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/1/2018 1:38:41 PM   
rico21

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3330
Page:   <<   < prev  109 110 [111] 112 113   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  109 110 [111] 112 113   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI