Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: All things Football (soccer) related

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  112 113 [114] 115 116   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/6/2018 11:09:55 AM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm
Could you, please, write it in mandarin.

天下大乱,形势大好

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3391
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/6/2018 11:54:27 AM   
zakblood

The world is in chaos, the situation is good.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 3392
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/6/2018 3:54:40 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

= 0 interaction, little englander.

Do you understand this or I should I write it in Mandarin?

warspite1

You really couldn't make it up could you? Out of respect for VP I will not respond the way you deserve for the little Englander childish nonsense, but then I don't need to as your own responses are sufficient to evidence just how vacuous you are.

I was aware that you had green buttoned me - an arrangement that suits me just fine and has worked well.

But the reason for my post 3386 is that you appeared to respond in post 3385 directly to my post 3383. If you'd green buttoned me why would you have read this and respond to me?

But also if you'd green buttoned me then how and why did you read post 3386? But even if someone had e-mailed you to alert you to my post, why would you have bothered to respond?

You know what a green button is for and how it works don't you? You yourself wrote zero interaction. Apparently not......

Do you understand this or shall I write in Mandarin?

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/6/2018 4:10:05 PM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 3393
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/6/2018 3:56:15 PM   
shunwick

The first Quarter-Final sees:

France 2 Uruguay 0. A bitty game, stop-start, with little in the way of craft in the final third from either team. The first French goal was a header by Varane from a Greizmann free-kick. The second was a tame shot from Greizmann expertly fumbled by the hapless Muslera in the Uruguayan goal. Greizmann was so embarrassed that he did not celebrate the goal. Uruguay badly missed Cavani and France continue to be functional more than anything else. After they went 2-0 up, France closed the game down and controlled it easily. So France is the first team though to the Semi-Finals where they will face either Brazil or Belgium. Uruguay become the first of the Quarter-Final teams to go home.

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 7/6/2018 3:57:18 PM >

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 3394
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/6/2018 4:26:25 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Warspite, only in your imagination I was replying to you. I was clearly talking about Stones' classless behaviour.

What I read or don't read is not your problem. You only need to understand that green button means 0 interaction. A rule that I did respect but you didn't.

"you appeared"... woulda coulda shoulda eh if my grandmother had wheels, she would be a bicycle.

Don't waste your time again. A pity I need to interact with your cyber persona to let you know this.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3395
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/6/2018 4:33:26 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

Warspite, only in your imagination I was replying to you. I was clearly talking about Stones' classless behaviour.

What I read or don't read is not your problem. You only need to understand that green button means 0 interaction. A rule that I did respect but you didn't.

"you appeared"... woulda coulda shoulda eh if my grandmother had wheels, she would be a bicycle.

Don't waste your time again. A pity I need to interact with your cyber persona to let you know this.
warspite1

What do you mean I didn't respect the rule? I haven't green buttoned anyone not even you. So of course I read your drivel and was perfectly entitled to respond on the basis your post stated quite clearly in the bottom right-hand corner (in reply to warspite1). So 'in my imagination'? No, clearly not. But YOU green buttoned ME and if you green buttoned me then what was post 3387 all about? And why are you responding now?

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/7/2018 6:52:54 AM >

Post #: 3396
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/6/2018 4:42:23 PM   
rico21

We will play against one of our neighbors.

Attachment (2)

Post #: 3397
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/6/2018 4:42:28 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

The first Quarter-Final sees:

France 2 Uruguay 0. A bitty game, stop-start, with little in the way of craft in the final third from either team. The first French goal was a header by Varane from a Greizmann free-kick. The second was a tame shot from Greizmann expertly fumbled by the hapless Muslera in the Uruguayan goal. Greizmann was so embarrassed that he did not celebrate the goal. Uruguay badly missed Cavani and France continue to be functional more than anything else. After they went 2-0 up, France closed the game down and controlled it easily. So France is the first team though to the Semi-Finals where they will face either Brazil or Belgium. Uruguay become the first of the Quarter-Final teams to go home.

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

Really looking forward to this one!! Will Brazil get through as expected and prove that Belgium's 'Golden Generation" really are England 2000-2006 MkII or will Belgium kick-on from Japan and do what England could have done in 2002?

Can't wait

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/6/2018 5:16:29 PM >

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3398
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/6/2018 4:43:26 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: rico21

We will play against one of our neighbors.

warspite1

LOL very clever - almost a local derby either way

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 3399
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/6/2018 5:12:39 PM   
warspite1

Its the last chance saloon for South America tonight - and as is so often the case, its Brazil propping up the bar..... Will they still be there at the end of the evening or thrown out by the bouncers? I hope not because Neymar may get really badly injured..... apparently he has spent 14 minutes on the floor in the four games so far....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3400
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/6/2018 5:24:01 PM   
warspite1

Lolz

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5925047/Its-coming-home-World-Cup-meme-shows-omens-place-England-march-glory-Russia.html

If Belgium win tonight, Russia will be praying for an England win and Croatia for a Sweden victory

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3401
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/6/2018 5:32:27 PM   
Zorch

Which World Cup Team Is The Best At Wasting Time?

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/which-world-cup-team-is-the-best-at-wasting-time/

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3402
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/6/2018 8:11:00 PM   
shunwick

The second Quarter-Final sees:

Belgium 2 Brazil 1. Another cracking game in a World Cup of cracking games. Belgium got off to a lucky start when a Brazilian elbow put it in his own net. And then.... a fabulous goal from De Bruyne put Belgium 2-0 up. From then on it was a case of relentless Brazilian pressure until a exquisite Coutinho pass found the head of Augusto to bring the game back to 2-1 in the 76th minute. The Brazilians had their chances. A couple of Neymar dives probably worked against them when they had a decent penalty shout turned down. It went to VAR but no penalty was given. Courtois had two or three really good saves to Belgium in it. So, Belgium become the second team through to the Semi-Finals where they will play France. Brazil are going home.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3403
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/6/2018 8:18:42 PM   
VPaulus

quote:

It went to VAR but no penalty was given.

That was such a clear penalty, how VAR could have ruled it out.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3404
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/6/2018 9:19:47 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Two magnificent first class football matches. France and Belgium are clearly one level above the remaining teams. The Croats have talent too but not sure they have a finished product.

I hope the Belgians put their golden generation to good use and bag the whole thing. But the French might be too strong, who knows.

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 3405
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/6/2018 9:27:53 PM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

quote:

It went to VAR but no penalty was given.

That was such a clear penalty, how VAR could have ruled it out.

It was only clear on slow motion replay. But perhaps Brazil (Neymar) had cried wolf so many times they gave it no more than cursory look? Logically, any fraudulent penalty claim is an attempt to cheat the VAR team. Too many fraudulent attempts is going to prejudice VAR against you. Such is human nature. That's my theory anyway. The VAR team have a cop-out clause in that it has to be a clear and obvious error by the Ref. It doesn't always work like that but it's a convenient excuse if (even subconsciously) they are miffed at the Brazilian (Neymarian) diving.

In addition, the ball was going out and did that Brazilian foot make sure that it made contact with the Belgian leg? Despite all of that I still think it should have been a penalty.

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 7/6/2018 9:33:40 PM >

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 3406
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/6/2018 9:34:09 PM   
VPaulus

The penaltu was not over Meymar but over Gabriel Jesus.
You don't need the slow motion to show it's a clear penalty, although they must have seen it in slow motion. As you said it, there's no excuse, not even a convenient one.

< Message edited by VPaulus -- 7/6/2018 9:45:12 PM >

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3407
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 2:39:56 AM   
shunwick

quote:

You don't need the slow motion to show it's a clear penalty, although they must have seen it in slow motion. As you said it, there's no excuse, not even a convenient one.

Yes, the Gabriel Jesus and Vincent Kompany incident.

But it was Neymar who set up the pattern of Brazil diving for penalties.

Watching the BBC broadcast, my first reaction was that it was not a penalty. They then showed four replays each from a different angle. It was only on the fourth replay that I could clearly see it was a penalty.

The real problem here is that there is still confusion over how the Ref + VAR team work. It resembles some arcane ritual rather than high tech help for referees. It is not clear why some incidents are checked while others are not. We know that VAR did review the Gabriel Jesus incident because the Referee, who gave a goal kick, delayed the taking of it until VAR had completed its review.

But what happens when the review is complete? The Ref gets a message over his ear piece, but what does that message say? Since the VAR team cannot overide the Ref's decision, I very much doubt if the message says that it was a penalty or that you got that decision wrong. I don't know but I suspect that the message says that the review is complete and the Ref can view the incident on the pitch-side VAR station if he wants to. This is where the Neymar diving comes into the equation and the case for the Ref to be bothered isn't helped by the theatrical rolls of Gabriel Jesus.

Brazil may well have badly acted themselves out of the World Cup.

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 7/7/2018 2:50:53 AM >

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 3408
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 4:24:05 AM   
jwarrenw13

Ah, welcome to the mysterious world of video review of sports events. We Americans, though we suck at soccer, I mean football, are quite used to seeing obvious fouls not called and then reviewed and....still not called...in football, I mean American football, and other sports.

By the way, with Germany knocked out -- I spent five years in Germany during the Cold War and absolutely love Germany so consider Germany my second home team -- I have adopted Belgium as my new World Cup home team for 2018 after their last two games that have been so exciting that some of my friends who don't even like soccer, I mean football, have enjoyed them. I have gotten comments like, "I don't really understand everything that happened, especially that guy rolling around like he had been broken his leg and then suddenly getting up like nothing had happened, but it sure was exciting to watch." They understand a fast break (counterattack) goal at the "buzzer" (Belgium-Japan) and a team hanging on for dear life at the end (Belgium-Brazil). And there's England. Since we're cousins and all and since we speak roughly the same language and since my family name comes from England I always pull for England. How about an England-Belgium final. That's my dream game now.

Soccer, I mean football. I played a good bit back in the 20th Century. Keeper. Have the scars to prove it. An extremely low level amateur adult team in Louisiana and various company and post teams in the Army, including being thoroughly embarrassed in pickup games against teams of middle-aged German men in Germany in the 1980s. But thoroughly loved it.

Okay, that's my contribution. Go England! Go Belgium!

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3409
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 6:15:58 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Yes, the Gabriel Jesus and Vincent Kompany incident.

But it was Neymar who set up the pattern of Brazil diving for penalties.

Watching the BBC broadcast, my first reaction was that it was not a penalty. They then showed four replays each from a different angle. It was only on the fourth replay that I could clearly see it was a penalty.

The real problem here is that there is still confusion over how the Ref + VAR team work. It resembles some arcane ritual rather than high tech help for referees. It is not clear why some incidents are checked while others are not. We know that VAR did review the Gabriel Jesus incident because the Referee, who gave a goal kick, delayed the taking of it until VAR had completed its review.

But what happens when the review is complete? The Ref gets a message over his ear piece, but what does that message say? Since the VAR team cannot overide the Ref's decision, I very much doubt if the message says that it was a penalty or that you got that decision wrong. I don't know but I suspect that the message says that the review is complete and the Ref can view the incident on the pitch-side VAR station if he wants to. This is where the Neymar diving comes into the equation and the case for the Ref to be bothered isn't helped by the theatrical rolls of Gabriel Jesus.

Brazil may well have badly acted themselves out of the World Cup.

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

Agreed. Delle Alli got a (fully justified) reputation for diving and it cost him (and Spurs) last year. There was a stonewall penalty against Manchester United that wasn't given - and who can blame the referee for not giving it? He didn't want to appear another mug conned by the player so played safe and didn't give it. Can't blame the ref in those circumstances.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3410
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 6:23:35 AM   
warspite1

quote:

Belgium 2 Brazil 1. Another cracking game in a World Cup of cracking games.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Agreed - I thought we were going to witness another Germany vs Brazil 2014 at one point. If Belgium's passing/shooting had been even better they would have been out of sight by half time. Brazil seemed so open at the back.

So its to be an all European final. But the burning question is: Will the 6/7 continue into the second semi??

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/7/2018 6:44:58 AM >

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3411
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 11:18:58 AM   
rico21

So we are going to face our brother country, Belgium.
Positive side:
-The match is not played in Waterloo.
-The English will not help them.
-The coach is not called Napoleon.
Negative side:
-This looks like a civil war.
-We are south of Belgium, so southerners.
- Everyone knows that in a civil war, it is better not to be a southerner.
Random side.
-I hope the Russians will not poison the match.

Conclusion:
Best win!

Post #: 3412
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 12:38:55 PM   
warspite1

Seriously? Does this guy live in a bubble?????

Martin Keown

Former England defender in Russia on BBC Radio 5 live

I am really interested to see how we shift Sweden's two central defenders today, and I think Raheem Sterling will be massive for England. Sweden will kick off and it will be a long ball, a bit like the old Wimbledon, but we have moved our game on and they haven't. There is nothing to fear and let's show that today.

What a totally and utterly brain-dead comment to make How much does he get paid for spouting such mindless nonsense?

"Nothing to fear"? What, apart from getting beaten by a team that have seen off Holland, Italy and Germany.....

"We've moved our game on and they haven't"? Really? Even if that is true (dubious statement) then that does not mean that we are going to automatically beat them does it?

"really interested to see how we shift Sweden's two central defenders today"? Right so its definite that we will do this. Not if we do it.

Absolutely ridiculous .

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/7/2018 12:39:32 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3413
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 12:56:32 PM   
warspite1

Just over an hour to go. The nerves are starting to build. A World cup quarter final is normally BAU for the likes of Germany and Brazil but is a big deal for both England and Sweden.

Sweden have been to the quarter finals (or equivalent) 5 times to England's 7 - but Sweden actually have done better at this stage. England have won just 2 of their Q/F's while Sweden have won 4 - only failing once in 1934.

I am so nervous.....

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3414
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 12:58:57 PM   
warspite1

C'mon England!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/7/2018 1:02:14 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3415
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 2:43:52 PM   
Chickenboy

What's all this then? Something going on with your regional soccer tourney?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3416
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 2:50:46 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

No, its the third of four quarter finals of the football World Cup - the world's favourite game played by almost every country on the planet.

Next?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3417
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 2:52:51 PM   
warspite1

Is anybody listening to the BBC coverage? I want to strangle Martin Keown - his commentary is truly, truly awful.

Has anyone seen Delle Alli or Jesse Lingard? There is a rumour that both are playing for England today....

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3418
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 4:10:08 PM   
shunwick

The third Quarter-Final sees:

England 2 Sweden 0. A nervous start from both teams who both decided to take things slooooooooooow. A thumping header from Maguire on 30 minutes put England ahead. Sweden managed to cause a few heart-attacks but Pickford dealt with them comfortably. The second half saw a sharper Swedish team pushing gently for an equalizer but without success. A second goal from Dele Alli put England into panic mode which the Swedes capitalized on in terms of possession and a couple of really nice moves which should have given them a goal if the Football Gods had been smiling upon them. The Pickford saves were decent but they were not the most amazing saves in the history of the universe. Neither was England's performance "perfect in every respect" which was one of the comments from the BBC commentators.

So England become the third team to book a place in the Semi-Finals where they will meet the winner of Russia v Croatia. Sweden go home.

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 7/7/2018 6:54:53 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3419
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 4:35:24 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

No, its the third of four quarter finals of the football World Cup - the world's favourite game played by almost every country on the planet.

Next?

Ah. I heard that it was all about certain usual suspect European teams against other European teams. You know, a regional soccer tourney. Hardly representative of the world, mate.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3420
Page:   <<   < prev  112 113 [114] 115 116   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  112 113 [114] 115 116   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI