Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/5/2018 6:06:28 PM   
Orm

Maybe it functions without USA, however, it will be much more fun if Americans join us in enjoying football (soccer).

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 91
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/6/2018 3:11:59 AM   
wdolson

It's ironic the American women's soccer/football team is one of the top ranked in the world, but they play mostly in obscurity in their home country. Though soccer/football is popular among immigrants. Growing up in East LA I heard more about the LA Aztecs than the LA Rams from my classmates.

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 92
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/6/2018 7:11:22 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

It's ironic the American women's soccer/football team is one of the top ranked in the world, but they play mostly in obscurity in their home country. Though soccer/football is popular among immigrants. Growing up in East LA I heard more about the LA Aztecs than the LA Rams from my classmates.

Were Cheech and Chong in your class?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 93
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/6/2018 7:29:47 AM   
wdolson

Both of them are somewhat older than I am. Their movies started coming out when I was in 6th or 7th grade.

I did grow up fairly close to Carlos Mencia (American comedian) and we're close in age, though I never met him. There is the expression of growing up on the right or wrong side of the tracks, in East LA it's Floral Ave. Carlos was on the other side of Floral, I was on the Asian side though there were a lot of Hispanics too.

Cheech Marin did a parody of "Born in the USA" called "Born in East LA". I knew all the landmarks well that he referenced in the song even though I moved away in 1984.

Bill

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 94
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/6/2018 2:44:55 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Both of them are somewhat older than I am. Their movies started coming out when I was in 6th or 7th grade.

I did grow up fairly close to Carlos Mencia (American comedian) and we're close in age, though I never met him. There is the expression of growing up on the right or wrong side of the tracks, in East LA it's Floral Ave. Carlos was on the other side of Floral, I was on the Asian side though there were a lot of Hispanics too.

Cheech Marin did a parody of "Born in the USA" called "Born in East LA". I knew all the landmarks well that he referenced in the song even though I moved away in 1984.

Bill

Yeah, I remember they also did a movie called "Born in East LA" where he loses his ID and is jailed as an illegal immigrant, pending deportation. Does that sound familiar?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 95
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/6/2018 9:08:59 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

Bill

Yeah, I remember they also did a movie called "Born in East LA" where he loses his ID and is jailed as an illegal immigrant, pending deportation. Does that sound familiar?

Their radio albums were funny; their movies weren't (for the most part).

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 96
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/7/2018 12:59:16 AM   
wdolson

quote:

Bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

I think the movie was just Cheech Marin. It was loosely based on the song and I thought the movie was so-so. When I was a kid there was a real case of a kid in his late teens, born in the US who got deported from East LA. It was huge news in Los Angeles for weeks. I think it was the early 80s.

This thread is coming around full circle to wargaming though. In high school I wargamed a lot with a friend who was an immigrant from Cuba and we watched "Born in East LA" on cable while wargaming. I lost track of him and found him a few weeks ago. When I lost track of him he was only a year or two out of college and was still sowing his wild oats. His oldest kid is off the college this fall. He said his son is really into football and is hoping to play in college and I asked him which one, American or international? My friend got a soccer scholarship to UC Santa Barbara (though he went to US Davis instead) so I had to ask.

Bill

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 97
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/7/2018 2:23:24 PM   
Chickenboy

Is this soccer match still going?

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 98
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/7/2018 2:49:16 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

Yes, second half of the quarter finals today. In the ongoing game, England leads Sweden 1:0 at half-time. Finals are on Sunday, 15th.

ALLEZ LES BLEUS!

Correction: The "small final" between the losers of the semi-final is on the 14th.

< Message edited by LargeSlowTarget -- 7/7/2018 2:51:57 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 99
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/7/2018 5:08:20 PM   
Encircled

Its coming home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rZIGnzv8Vs

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 100
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/7/2018 9:18:21 PM   
tomamars

So we are playing against England in semifinals...

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 101
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/7/2018 10:00:48 PM   
Chickenboy

I'm already on the record about picking France vs. Belgium for the finals. Then again, I'm not very good at predicting these sorts of things.

(in reply to tomamars)
Post #: 102
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/7/2018 10:49:59 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

Its coming home

Hold your horses...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 103
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/7/2018 11:13:45 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

Its coming home

Hold your horses...

Leo "Apollo11"

Who will you be rooting for, Leo?

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 104
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/7/2018 11:26:27 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

I have nothing against Croatia, but I don't believe a team that keeps winning by penalty kicks lottery deserves the world cup

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 105
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/8/2018 6:25:44 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

Its coming home

Hold your horses...

Leo "Apollo11"
warspite1

Indeed Leo. I was rooting for Russia because I really don't fancy playing the Croatians. That is going to be one difficult game for us and I just can't see us containing the Croatians who are due a good performance.

I said after the group stage that either Spain or Croatia was guaranteed a final place, and then Spain lost to Russia so....

Belgium vs Croatia will be the final on 15th July.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/8/2018 6:26:03 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 106
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/8/2018 7:12:07 AM   
Yaab

Croatia and Belgium have been the two most consistent teams so far ( won all their games), though Belgium provides a better entertainment value.

I don't want England to reach the final. They are a good team, but had a lucky draw (easy group, and both Colombia and Sweden were dire in the knock-outs). They are young and have plenty of time to excel at EURO 2020, though they still can beat the tired Croats in the semis.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 107
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/8/2018 8:34:11 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

I don't want England to reach the final. They are a good team, but had a lucky draw (easy group, and both Colombia and Sweden were dire in the knock-outs).
warspite1

Funny, when Brazil won the World Cup in 2002 no one beat up on them that they only had to play Turkey, Costa Rica, China, Belgium – before they became good again – perennial underachievers England and Turkey again to reach the final. No one slaughtered Germany when their route to the final was: Republic of Ireland, Cameroon, Saudi Arabia, Paraguay, United States and South Korea.

A team can only get who they get. And they still have to beat whoever they get.

And as a football fan you must know full well that there are two sides to the story. Was a team dire because they are dire or because they were made to look bad by the quality of the opposition? Colombia came through a very competitive South American qualifying group that saw Chile fail to qualify and Sweden overcame Holland and then Italy in the play-offs. Both got out of competitive groups, so I don't think either team are dire. In both games overall England were the better side and I think England deserve more credit for being the better team in both games than simply saying the opposition was dire.

And as for consistency. Whilst I fear truly Croatia because they have some great technically gifted players (Modric is capable of game changing flashes of genius) if you saw them against Denmark they really were awful - absolutely awful.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/8/2018 12:31:08 PM >

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 108
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/8/2018 9:04:23 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

I'm already on the record about picking France vs. Belgium for the finals. Then again, I'm not very good at predicting these sorts of things.

It will be a miracle of the final is France vs. Belgium since they meet in one of the semi-finals. Only one of them can reach the final.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 109
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/8/2018 9:18:39 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

Croatia and Belgium have been the two most consistent teams so far ( won all their games), though Belgium provides a better entertainment value.

I don't want England to reach the final. They are a good team, but had a lucky draw (easy group, and both Colombia and Sweden were dire in the knock-outs). They are young and have plenty of time to excel at EURO 2020, though they still can beat the tired Croats in the semis.

Croatia has had a fairly easy task getting to the semi-finals. And still they had to rely on penalties, twice, to get there. And Croatia even had, in my humble opinion, a fairly easy qualifying group to get the world cup. Not even impressed with the opposition in the play-offs to get to the World Cup. With that said it was a impressive win against Argentina.

I think all the teams that are in the semi-finals have proven their mettle and are worthy.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 110
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/8/2018 10:48:57 AM   
warspite1

I think one of the really annoying things about people saying England don't deserve to be in the semis because they got an 'easy draw' is that that comment simply fails to understand how the draw works. The whole point of seeding and pots is to try and ensure that all the good teams don't knock each other out early. There are the same number of Group Winners and Group Runners up in each half. Group Winners get the advantage of playing second place finishers in the round of 16.

If every team had performed as per their seedings* and expectation then England - who by the way were not expected to win their group (Belgium, quite rightly, were the seeded team) - would have faced Poland in the last 16, Germany in the Quarter Final and then Portugal/Spain or Argentina in the Semi-Final - the former both number one seeds in their respective groups and the latter number one seeds in theirs. It is NOT England's FAULT that they finished second in their group as the world rankings and world cup seedings predicted they would and Germany, Portugal/Spain and Argentina all failed to perform as they were expected to.

*The seedings can be strange at times and there is no doubt that, based on performance, Poland should not have been seeded 1. That would have been lucky for England.
I've also assumed that either Spain or Portugal were no. 1 seeds (Portugal were the ranked team but it could be argued Spain should have been).
I've also swapped Uruguay and Russia (Russia were seeded one as hosts but not even expected to get out of their group) - but that does not effect England.

So, Poland aside, England's side of the draw should have been very difficult but other fancied nations didn't perform or didn't perform as expected and so was not as difficult (no - not easy) as it might have been.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/8/2018 12:28:49 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 111
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/8/2018 11:23:04 AM   
BBfanboy

There is a saying about sports: "On any given Sunday, any team could beat any other team". IOW, predictions might hold for long term results but in individual matches, anything can happen. Kinda like war.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 112
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/8/2018 3:30:07 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

It will be a miracle of the final is France vs. Belgium since they meet in one of the semi-finals. Only one of them can reach the final.

I told you I wasn't very good at predicting these sorts of things.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 113
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/8/2018 3:31:13 PM   
Chickenboy

England don't deserve to be in the semis because they got an 'easy draw'.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 114
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/8/2018 4:55:14 PM   
Encircled

First, the "its coming home" has always been, and probably always been, an English way of seriously managing expectations. Its not meant to be taken seriously, though we did put our best performance of the tournament in yesterday.

Whoever wins it from here will deserve to win it, and my money (not that I bet like!) is on the French.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 115
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/8/2018 7:17:49 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

First, the "its coming home" has always been, and probably always been, an English way of seriously managing expectations. Its not meant to be taken seriously, though we did put our best performance of the tournament in yesterday.

Whoever wins it from here will deserve to win it, and my money (not that I bet like!) is on the French.

This tournament is rigged! The English are betting on the French - how much more proof do you need!
(Although I was surprised that the Russians were eliminated already in spite of their home field and chemical advantages.)

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 116
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/8/2018 7:19:26 PM   
Anachro

I don't really care who wins as long as it's not France.

However, in a time of Brexit and terrible governmental leadership regardless of which side of that issue you sit on, it might do some good for the English to win it. So I guess you could say I'm softly rooting for them.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 7/8/2018 7:20:19 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 117
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/8/2018 9:03:31 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anachro

I don't really care who wins as long as it's not France.

However, in a time of Brexit and terrible governmental leadership regardless of which side of that issue you sit on, it might do some good for the English to win it. So I guess you could say I'm softly rooting for them.

What would Charles de Gaulle say about that?

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 118
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/8/2018 9:30:44 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

I though he had passed away.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 119
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/8/2018 9:40:57 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

I though he had passed away.

A great statesman like 'Chuck' is not gonna let that stop him.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI