Super OT : World Cup 2018 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

patrickl -> Super OT : World Cup 2018 (5/19/2018 1:22:36 AM)

Time flies. Next month is the World Cup again. A month of feasting, drinking and exercise for the eyes. I wonder if the Germans can make it two in a row? [:)]

Rusty1961 -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (5/19/2018 1:30:55 AM)

Go Deutchland.

Andrea G -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (5/19/2018 1:00:22 PM)

Do you mean the "Almost World Cup 2018" ?
How can it be a world cup without Italy?
[:D]

wegman58 -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (5/19/2018 5:07:29 PM)

Ah yes - the game where

1) Humans are designed to manipulate objects with their hands. Then we developed tools. Not only don't you use tools, you can't use your hands.

2) You are encouraged to manipulate the ball with your head, and NO HELMET.

I think that American disdain for the sport is a GOOD thing. And its increasing popularity in the US is a sign of our decline.

jamesjohns -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (5/19/2018 7:28:32 PM)

No nothing about soccer but always felt like we in the USA are missing out on something with the World Cup. March Madness only most of the world is participating in it. Several decades ago when stationed in Germany recall the passion soccer fans had and the world cup

Chickenboy -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (5/20/2018 3:01:58 AM)

So long as FIFA is intimately associated with the World Cup, I want nothing to do with it. Do you *really* think that Russia and Dubai are the two best spots globally to hold the cup in the next 8 years? Really?

Orm -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (5/20/2018 5:38:17 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrea G

Do you mean the "Almost World Cup 2018" ?
How can it be a world cup without Italy?

Easy. The Italian team wasn't good enough. [:(]

Although there is definitely something wrong how the seeding, and rating, for the different tournaments are done. The teams from Spain and Italy should not be able to be in the same qualifying group.

I hope that Italy takes this as an opportunity to strengthen their team. I would dislike to see them miss another tournament.

Orm -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (5/20/2018 5:40:18 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

So long as FIFA is intimately associated with the World Cup, I want nothing to do with it. Do you *really* think that Russia and Dubai are the two best spots globally to hold the cup in the next 8 years? Really?

You said it.

Although I doubt that other sports associations are that much better.

Schani59 -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (5/20/2018 10:26:27 AM)

World Cup up here means hockey. Football (soccer)Phhhssstt ,is nap time. Nothing more boing than watching bowling. snooorrrrre.

TulliusDetritus -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (5/21/2018 7:20:35 PM)

Welcome to Russia, blyat!

In that order, Germany or Portugal or Spain.

Jorge_Stanbury -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (5/22/2018 11:39:54 AM)

Being a world cup, it is by default open to those other "not so nice" countries like Russia or even Iran

FIFA is a lot cleaner now, probably cleaner than the Olympic committee, I am talking after the end of the Blatter era; and if anything, I think FIFA is more transparent than the North American sport federations (NHL, NBA, NFL), in the sense that in North America we have these "franchises" owned by old wealthy families that control everything. For example, my city, Toronto, can easily support 2, even 3 NHL teams, there had been so many ideas to make this work, like building a big arena in a nearby suburb, but no, that is not possible because some super rich family might loss a bit of revenue, therefore it is not happening. That kind of mentality doesn't occur when a centrally organized organization, like FIFA, is in charge; if they smell the money, like when they decided to play a world cup in Qatar, they will do it.

Also important: My home country, Peru, is playing the world cup for the first time since Spain-1982. the hype and expectations that this brings is beyond believe, that is all what people talks about down there, all the newspapers, the TV commercials, the sports cards/ sticker albums, and of course Peru's best hopes are at most to survive group stage and be eliminated in the rounds of 16s, or 8s

Chickenboy -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (5/22/2018 2:48:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury
That kind of mentality doesn't occur when a centrally organized organization, like FIFA, is in charge; if they smell the money, like when they decided to play a world cup in Qatar, they will do it.

Yes, but the downside of that is that when a centrally organized organization, like FIFA, has their higher ups' palms greased to extract personal gain, there's every likelihood that they will do that-even if it doesn't make sense for the organization, the participants or the fans. Wasn't the decision to play in Russia and Dubai made under Blatter? I don't think the IOC is much better either.

The North American leagues that you mention are, in my opinion, subject to significant political and public scrutiny. Sure, the monied franchises are tightly held in perpetual family circles, but they seem to be much more responsive to publicly-derived issues du jour than some of the international bodies that aren't beholden to any one national base of support.

Jorge_Stanbury -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (5/22/2018 4:19:59 PM)

Yes the decision to choose Russia and Qatar was made under Blatter; and it is most certain that there was money involved in the decision making process. The later is actually quite questionable as the typical timing of a world cup coincides with the hottest months there, which is of course not good for the players.

That said, it was time for Russia to have a world cup, most of the other candidates have had it before; some even relatively recently (USA in 1994). We are all happy that the Blatter mafia is out, I am particularly happy because the Latin American bosses were the worst thieves. More so, they were untouchable thieves because any government attempt to intervene a soccer federation would be met by FIFA with a threat of the country becoming a soccer pariah = losing affiliation, in other words, no more world cups, soccer championships, qualifiers, etc. A Latin American government can easily fall if that happens ;)

EDIT: Forgot to mention, soccer fans will be forever in debt with the FBI, as only they could had brought down FIFA leadership

SheperdN7 -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (5/22/2018 9:42:35 PM)

Very strange no Spaghetti Squad this year but all streaks must end I guess.

Will be cheering for the Germans, although thinking Brazil is going to win.

Spain will be the biggest disappointment. Dark horse... England. Maybe this will be the year XD

CaptBeefheart -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (5/23/2018 1:20:06 AM)

All you need to know about soccer is in this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCacbm4AV2E

EDIT: Here's another: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35OLRtd-POo

And here's a smiley so you know this is goodnatured banter: [:D]

Cheers,
CC

patrickl -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (5/23/2018 1:47:12 AM)

Whao Ice Hockey is really dangerous stuff. Soccer can be dangerous too when the ball hit you straight in the face or groin.[sm=dizzy.gif]

Jorge_Stanbury -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (5/23/2018 2:02:22 AM)

There is also blood in soccer; usually a knee or elbow hitting an unprotected head. Soccer players wear very little protection, no helmet, no pads, no gloves, just a shin guard.

And as you can see, players will simply keep playing, after wounds have been bandaged, not a big deal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS6Z2obQ_Cg

but by far the most dreaded and damaging injuries are broken legs or knees, as those mean long recovery time without playing, or even a career end

there are some horrible examples in youtube I just don't want to post

CaptBeefheart -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (5/23/2018 2:16:54 AM)

I'm with you, Jorge. I know it can be dangerous. I used to play the game in my youth.

I think the diving and other Oscar-level performances by players of the sport come off as unsportsmanlike to a lot of fans. The histrionic player holding onto his calf for dear life gets pulled off the field on a stretcher and then is back on the field in 30 seconds. No doubt I'm missing some nuance, but it detracts from the seriousness of the game.

Cheers,
CC

Orm -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (5/23/2018 6:30:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

There is also blood in soccer; usually a knee or elbow hitting an unprotected head. Soccer players wear very little protection, no helmet, no pads, no gloves, just a shin guard.

And as you can see, players will simply keep playing, after wounds have been bandaged, not a big deal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS6Z2obQ_Cg

but by far the most dreaded and damaging injuries are broken legs or knees, as those mean long recovery time without playing, or even a career end

there are some horrible examples in youtube I just don't want to post

Yeah. Thank you for sharing.

Although I do not give much for a video about bleeding on the football pitch that hasn't the player who changed the football rules, Terry Butcher, included.

Warning: Contains blood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFDNcHXJoFE

Maybe you didn't want to post it because all the bleeding?

Orm -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (5/23/2018 6:37:41 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

Cheers,
CC

I have seen plenty of diving in hockey. Some are so good at it that I think they could take medals as a Olympic Diver. [;)]

[image]local://upfiles/29130/2D82DF6CB8CC4E9BBB80BBC762650B30.jpg[/image]

Jorge_Stanbury -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (5/23/2018 11:30:25 AM)

Yes that was too much [:'(]

This will be the first world cup with video assisted referees (VAR), I believe it should reduce a bit the divings and the theatrics, or at the very least take them out of the big decisions (VAR is only used for match-changing decisions)

https://football-technology.fifa.com/en/innovations/VAR-at-the-World-Cup

Chickenboy -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (5/23/2018 1:10:35 PM)

Here's my favorite video on the relevant 'soccer dive' subject matter: [:D]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf_puN-S5OM

TulliusDetritus -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (5/23/2018 4:21:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Here's my favorite video on the relevant 'soccer dive' subject matter: [:D]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf_puN-S5OM

A bad copy (2012) of the original (2008). Some of them "dives" are nasty fouls (Arbeloa vs Villa, elbow strikes), eh... whoever made that thing knows exactly zero about football...

The original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4ZY9sJe0rY [;)]

Encircled -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (5/23/2018 4:40:29 PM)

A month of wall to wall football?

Whats not to like!

And then, my team, that I've supported from the 4th Division all the way to the premier league get to go on a European tour as Burnley FC take part in the Europa League.

Happy days!

wegman58 -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (5/23/2018 6:13:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

Cheers,
CC

The first one was GREAT. The second one - you want to see the person get blasted, get up and keep in the play. This had people getting blasted and going down.

wegman58 -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (5/23/2018 6:16:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

Whats not to like!

And then, my team, that I've supported from the 4th Division all the way to the premier league get to go on a European tour as Burnley FC take part in the Europa League.

Happy days!

Football would be good. Soccer, not so much.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (5/23/2018 6:25:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wegman58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

Whats not to like!

Happy days!

Football would be good. Soccer, not so much.

I don't know a thing about soccer, but I enjoyed watching a lot of the WC last time. Not for the games as much as to see how the rest of the world goes. I think this time, with the USA out of it, it won't make a ripple in US culture.

rustysi -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (5/23/2018 7:01:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: patrickl

Time flies. Next month is the World Cup again. A month of feasting, drinking and exercise for the eyes. I wonder if the Germans can make it two in a row? [:)]

Eh, its just a game. Oh, did I just 'say' that out loud?[:D]

Seriously, my sport is baseball, and while I'm a big fan... Its still just a game, and I see no reason to get my shorts in a bunch over a game. There's just too much other 'stuff' going on.

rustysi -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (5/23/2018 7:02:25 PM)

quote:

Very strange no Spaghetti Squad this year but all streaks must end I guess.

Oh, I don't think that's PC.[:D]

rustysi -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (5/23/2018 7:18:48 PM)

BTW, did soccer lots when the kids were young. Great sport, just not that interested any longer. Son's HS team went to the state finals. Daughter, very good, aggressive player (not dirty, just aggressive). Broke a pinky finger playing keeper, broke an arm, and had a back injury that kept her out of the sport for six months. Both had many of the muscle injuries that can come with the sport, hamis, quads. Fortunately no knee injuries, seen many other kids with them. A number of them requiring surgery.

Now its just baseball for me. Season's long enough, and when its over I like to turn my attention to other things. BTW, I don't need to see every inning of every game.

Side note: Daughter and I are at Yankee game, British couple behind us.

Brit: Who are the Yankees playing.

I: Chicago White Sox.

Brit: Where are the Sox fans???

I: Chicago is nine hundred miles away.

Brit (proudly): Well, we go half way across Europe to see a match.

I: Yes, but you don't have 162 games either. Do you?

Brit: Good point.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI