Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Invasion USA!! Dontra85 (J) vs NY59Giants (A)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Invasion USA!! Dontra85 (J) vs NY59Giants (A) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Invasion USA!! Dontra85 (J) vs NY59Giants (A) - 5/13/2018 12:51:30 PM   
Lowpe

I will be the first to comment here, the Japanese are far, far from AV.

The Allies are most likely three kitchen sink invasions from Honshu/Hokkaido.

The challenge will be logistics, and here I think this and CV operations are Michael's strengths. I would not want to be Japan here....because the invasion hasn't really changed anything. Japan is one CV clash from disaster, as always. Plus the perimeter isn't formed, and significant assets are in the US where they will fight restricted troops while while the Allies exploit other areas eventually.

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 91
RE: Invasion USA!! Dontra85 (J) vs NY59Giants (A) - 5/13/2018 9:02:45 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe
I would not want to be Japan here....because the invasion hasn't really changed anything.

Oh, come on, don't be the guy providing the (really not needed) other-end-of-spectrum response to those saying that this is a botched game and everything is lost ;)

That's a lot of CVEs so a lot of potential fighter cover from KB/LBA gone forever. Granted, it is secondary cover compared to CV DS. But it would still slow down op tempo considerably because secondary convoys are now harder to send out. Even more so with APA losses.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 92
RE: Invasion USA!! Dontra85 (J) vs NY59Giants (A) - 5/14/2018 8:19:25 AM   
Encircled

Pointing out stuff that is missing and the effects it will have isn't anything other than folks pointing out stuff that is missing and the effects it will have.

But I guess that is hard to get across on the internet at times!

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 93
RE: Invasion USA!! Dontra85 (J) vs NY59Giants (A) - 5/14/2018 11:11:17 AM   
Mike Solli

This should be fun!

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 94
RE: Invasion USA!! Dontra85 (J) vs NY59Giants (A) - 5/14/2018 2:01:04 PM   
Uncivil Engineer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

I will be the first to comment here, the Japanese are far, far from AV.

The Allies are most likely three kitchen sink invasions from Honshu/Hokkaido.

The challenge will be logistics, and here I think this and CV operations are Michael's strengths. I would not want to be Japan here....because the invasion hasn't really changed anything. Japan is one CV clash from disaster, as always. Plus the perimeter isn't formed, and significant assets are in the US where they will fight restricted troops while while the Allies exploit other areas eventually.

Agree. Also consider that the Japanese LCU invasion force is lost to them. Maybe not within the next week, but certainly before the end of the summer. Does Portland make enough supply to feed them? Can they be continually resupplied from Tokyo? What would they be doing if not in the USA? Java? Singapore? What's the situation in Malaya, Sumatra, Java? Without the 2 divisions at Portland, is he making any progress in the DEI? Where must his CV's go to replenish sorties? Ominato? Did he bring AKE's with the invasion? Have his AKE conversions started to arrive?

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 95
RE: Invasion USA!! Dontra85 (J) vs NY59Giants (A) - 5/14/2018 3:05:54 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Uncivil Engineer

Also consider that the Japanese LCU invasion force is lost to them.

In my opinion, the Allied destroyed ship list more than makes up for the loss of the Japanese ground forces. I'm curious what shipping losses the Japanese player took in doing this.

(in reply to Uncivil Engineer)
Post #: 96
RE: Invasion USA!! Dontra85 (J) vs NY59Giants (A) - 5/14/2018 3:11:12 PM   
ny59giants

CV Soryu was reported as sunk off Midway by Allied subs before I took over.

< Message edited by ny59giants_MatrixForum -- 5/17/2018 11:32:16 AM >

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 97
RE: Invasion USA!! Dontra85 (J) vs NY59Giants (A) - 5/14/2018 6:56:34 PM   
Uncivil Engineer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

quote:

In my opinion, the Allied destroyed ship list more than makes up for the loss of the Japanese ground forces. I'm curious what shipping losses the Japanese player took in doing this.

Of course. My point, which I fumbled, was that it works both ways. Everyone's "overwrought" about the lost shipping at Portland, but overlooks the pending Japanese losses, and the lost Japanese opportunities elsewhere. If the diversion of these 2 (and maybe more) divisions precludes the capture of Palembang, then Japan's war is lost with or without the CVE's.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 98
RE: Invasion USA!! Dontra85 (J) vs NY59Giants (A) - 5/14/2018 7:33:14 PM   
obvert

When do the first CVEs arrive? And where?

Well ... it's not in Portland/Vancouver. And it's not next week.

The Allies get their first CVEs elsewhere, and those late 42 IMHO are the most important. The game is won or lost in 43, and if the Allies get into 44 with a head of steam, they will be fine. Just like any other game, this one will have to get to 43 though before that massive shot of CVEs and tankers will be missed. In game the xAKs just aren't as necessary as in the war, and the Allies can get by without a lot of them.

Is getting to 43 without losing a CV exchange a guarantee for Japan?

As others have pointed out, will Japan conquer the DEI more easily with a few less divisions and much of the IJN still in the Eastern Pacific?

If Michael can build a fortress in the DEI and hold it, can the Japanese muster enough force to kick him out and meet their timeline for getting the oil and major bases of the SRA, plus Burma, plus China?

If he has lost Hiryu, or it needs extensive repairs, the USN is not on bad footing for a CV battle within a month or two. Plus there are the reinforcements and forwarded timeline of airframe arrivals. The Corsair and Hellcat early? Yes, please!

Does anyone really think the Allies would have lost the war in the Pacific if Kaiser didn't convince the Govt he could make all of those ships, and didn't open those yards?

< Message edited by obvert -- 5/14/2018 7:35:33 PM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Post #: 99
RE: Invasion USA!! Dontra85 (J) vs NY59Giants (A) - 5/14/2018 7:52:44 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

quote:

quote:

Of course. My point, which I fumbled, was that it works both ways. Everyone's "overwrought" about the lost shipping at Portland, but overlooks the pending Japanese losses, and the lost Japanese opportunities elsewhere. If the diversion of these 2 (and maybe more) divisions precludes the capture of Palembang, then Japan's war is lost with or without the CVE's.

I absolutely agree. Japanese potential loss of oil far outweighs the Allied ships lost (says the JFB who thinks the Allies get unlimited amounts of everything. )

Post #: 100
RE: Invasion USA!! Dontra85 (J) vs NY59Giants (A) - 5/14/2018 8:15:37 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

When do the first CVEs arrive? And where?

Well ... it's not in Portland/Vancouver. And it's not next week.

The Allies get their first CVEs elsewhere, and those late 42 IMHO are the most important. The game is won or lost in 43, and if the Allies get into 44 with a head of steam, they will be fine. Just like any other game, this one will have to get to 43 though before that massive shot of CVEs and tankers will be missed. In game the xAKs just aren't as necessary as in the war, and the Allies can get by without a lot of them.

Is getting to 43 without losing a CV exchange a guarantee for Japan?

As others have pointed out, will Japan conquer the DEI more easily with a few less divisions and much of the IJN still in the Eastern Pacific?

If Michael can build a fortress in the DEI and hold it, can the Japanese muster enough force to kick him out and meet their timeline for getting the oil and major bases of the SRA, plus Burma, plus China?

If he has lost Hiryu, or it needs extensive repairs, the USN is not on bad footing for a CV battle within a month or two. Plus there are the reinforcements and forwarded timeline of airframe arrivals. The Corsair and Hellcat early? Yes, please!

Does anyone really think the Allies would have lost the war in the Pacific if Kaiser didn't convince the Govt he could make all of those ships, and didn't open those yards?

Interesting questions. In my game, I lost Hiryu (to sub torpedoes) in Jan 42. My opponent didn't offer a CV vs. CV battle until mid-1943 after his Essex and some Independence class showed up. Some carrier battles happened in August 1943. We both made some mistakes not concentrating at the proper time and I lost a couple from MKB and he lost at least 1 and as many as 4 pre-war carriers with more damaged. Right now, I have the carrier strength but it's August 1943. I'm certainly not going on the offensive. I can delay him but that's temporary. By the end of the year, he'll have carrier superiority again. Remember, this is the era of the Hellcat vs. my A6M5/A6M5c. We're talking January 1942. He's got Wildcats, a handful of Dauntlesses and Devastators, maybe a few Avengers. The Allies will get butchered unless they're very careful.

I believe the Japanese can take the SRA with a handful of CVL/Es and surface ships, plus the LBA. They don't need KB. The big concern I have for the Japanese fleet off the US West coast is a safe, friendly port. Where the hell is that? My concern is a couple divisions (or more) that aren't going into the SRA. There's not a lot of ground strength to begin with. Some bases are going to have to be bypassed. Scary thought.

I don't think that not losing a carrier exchange through 1943 is a guarantee for the Japanese. I've lost a total of 147 deck capacity and our deck capacity is about equal right now. Given his worst case scenario in out battles this month, he'll still have superiority by the end of the year. And it'll only get worse for me with time. He can take his carriers and go hunting mine. He'll eventually win, even if I take out a chunk of his. Then, the question will be, how well my forts hold up against his overwhelming force. And his B-29s...

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 101
RE: Invasion USA!! Dontra85 (J) vs NY59Giants (A) - 5/14/2018 9:01:05 PM   
L0ckAndL0ad

Interesting read.

Wondering if Japan can actually exploit this invasion with more ground forces and take over the whole West Coast. Is that possible?

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 102
RE: Invasion USA!! Dontra85 (J) vs NY59Giants (A) - 5/14/2018 9:43:06 PM   
obvert

quote:

I believe the Japanese can take the SRA with a handful of CVL/Es and surface ships, plus the LBA. They don't need KB.

Maybe. it depends on what the Allies bring. What they have left of the RN and ABDA forces. How many of the Brit/Aussie IDs they can get in to either Singers or Timor where they have a fortress started.

The Japanese are usually facing a few tired Dutch units and overwhelm them with mostly SNLF. That won't cut it against British and Aussie IDs. They have to focus divisions on Singers, Palembang and Java, and do it all before the 4 month invasion bonus runs out. After that it all takes prep.

So. Pack up Central and So Pac and send it all to the DEI!!

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 103
RE: Invasion USA!! Dontra85 (J) vs NY59Giants (A) - 5/17/2018 1:24:40 AM   
DOCUP

You can Do IT.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 104
RE: Invasion USA!! Dontra85 (J) vs NY59Giants (A) - 5/17/2018 10:42:34 AM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: L0ckAndL0ad
Interesting read.

Wondering if Japan can actually exploit this invasion with more ground forces and take over the whole West Coast. Is that possible?

Impossible against human Allied opponent even if you make surprize invasion in Dec,41 abandoning everything else. US just has too much stuff sitting on a good road network. You won't be able to dislodge several landlocked armored divs (that US has from the start) out of any 4x terrain city. Japan does not have the firepower. And then bombers come and savage your attacking forces because your LR CAP cannot cope. And then protracted LOCs bite you.

(in reply to L0ckAndL0ad)
Post #: 105
RE: Invasion USA!! Dontra85 (J) vs NY59Giants (A) - 5/17/2018 12:06:57 PM   
HansBolter

Aside from the heavy reduction of air cover for deep penetration invasions, the biggest impact of the shipping loss is logistical.

The loss 77 tankers and 183 liberty and victory ships will mean the Americans won't be able to keep the entire world flush with supply.

It will require allowing some areas to languish while the logistical effort will have to be concentrated on the axis of advance.

40 liberty ships move a quarter million supply. This represents an approximate loss of 1.15 million supply lift capacity.

Obvert's observations that the loss of the CVEs won't be felt in '42 is valid, the logistical shipping loss won't be hard felt until late '43.

It's the Japanese side that will feel the ill effects of this gambit in '42. If the immediate benefit of the VPs won't get them to AV, then it won't be till late '43 before they get any real positive effect from the loss of shipping.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 5/17/2018 12:30:52 PM >

Hans

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 106
RE: Invasion USA!! Dontra85 (J) vs NY59Giants (A) - 5/25/2018 11:36:38 AM   
ny59giants

42 Jan 19 thru 23rd: Adjusting

19th:
USA -
KB remains 3 hexes west of Portland, hovering with 113F, 163B, 40 Aux.
Seattle - 30Z from KB vs 14 P43, 22 WC (Wildcats) = 8:2. Good exchange as reports after show it was 17Z for 5 American.
Astoria - the YP from Portland cannot escape as 4 CA, 4 DD sink her very quickly.
SLC (Salt Lake City) - The troops are put into Strat Mode and ordered to points around Portland for their march into combat
China -
Chuhsien - about 140 bombers of all type hit this base as I order them to the east. they easily survive a deliberate assault (181:157)
5 East Sian - 60 1e bombers hit my stack here and a ground bb (bombardment) probe. Without any SL, I worry about massive ground based DS rolling through here.
There are scattered air attacks throughout, but focus was at this two points.

20th:
Subs -
I-3 is off LA & I-172 is off Pearl
USA -
21Z & 71V hit retreating troops from Portland
Luzon -
Allies are down to just Clark and Bataan. 80 bomber hit Clark's AF against no CAP.
China -
Chuhsien & 5 east Sian are hit the hardest
Bases lost - Toungoo & Namatani
Intel - IP division is at Prome

21st:
KB remains off Oregon
Singapore sees the Japanese come across the causeway in force
quote:

Ground combat at Singapore (50,84)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 77793 troops, 844 guns, 464 vehicles, Assault Value = 2708

Defending force 26862 troops, 360 guns, 198 vehicles, Assault Value = 505

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 2

Japanese adjusted assault: 1903

Allied adjusted defense: 487

Japanese assault odds: 3 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 0

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), disruption(-)

Japanese ground losses:
6454 casualties reported
Squads: 23 destroyed, 552 disabled
Non Combat: 6 destroyed, 66 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 88 disabled
Guns lost 70 (1 destroyed, 69 disabled)
Vehicles lost 16 (2 destroyed, 14 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
1941 casualties reported
Squads: 47 destroyed, 247 disabled
Non Combat: 66 destroyed, 135 disabled
Engineers: 8 destroyed, 42 disabled
Guns lost 91 (28 destroyed, 63 disabled)
Vehicles lost 28 (10 destroyed, 18 disabled)
Units destroyed 1

Assaulting units:
18th Division
21st Division
38th Division
33rd Division
1st Tank Regiment
5th Division
56th Recon Regiment
113th Infantry Regiment
56th Engineer Regiment
41st Infantry Regiment
18th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
56th Field Artillery Regiment
5th Mortar Battalion
3rd Mortar Battalion
25th Army
3rd Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment
1st RF Gun Battalion
3rd Medium Field Artillery Regiment
14th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion

Defending units:
2nd Gordons Battalion
22nd Australian Brigade
2nd Loyal Battalion
2nd Malay Battalion
1st Malay Battalion
1st Hyderabad Battalion
2/17 Dogra Battalion
1st Mysore Battalion
27th Australian Brigade
1st Manchester Battalion
12th Indian Brigade
Malayan Air Wing
Malaya Army
3rd HK&S Light AA Regiment
AHQ Far East
III Indian Corps
5th Field Regiment
1st ISF Base Force
30 Battery/3 HAA
29 Battery/3 HAA
111th RAF Base Force
110th RAF Base Force
22nd Indian Mountain Gun Regiment
1st HK&S Heavy AA Regiment
Singapore Fortress
Singapore Base Force
2nd ISF Base Force
1st Indian Heavy AA Regiment
2/215th Bty 80th AT Gun Regiment
109th RN Base Force /2

Bases lost - Jesselton, Paotow (northern China is in trouble ), Chengchow (couldn't retreat before the hammer fell)

22nd:
Subs -
I-171 get TT hit on AS Fulton just off Pearl, but she makes port safely
Port Moresby - 18Z sweep as I have the 50 American fighters resting to get morale up to 99 and then begin pilot training. Not going to engage yet.
China -
1 SW of Wenchow sees a TF unloading. So, non-bases invasions are on the table for this game.
1 west Chuhsien - I've abandoned the base and still see almost 100 bombers.
Chungking - 38 Oscars sweep, but no bombers...yet
Bases lost - Kudat

23rd:
China -
Chungking - 67 Betty hit AF before the Oscar sweeps. I have very few Chinese fighters and even less Allied fighters in China. AVG and groups from Luzon have very few planes and very poor pilots.
quote:

Ground combat at 88,41 (near Kaoping) 5 East of Sian

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 45744 troops, 395 guns, 101 vehicles, Assault Value = 1533

Defending force 24656 troops, 198 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 580

Japanese adjusted assault: 967

Allied adjusted defense: 1174

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), morale(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
2473 casualties reported
Squads: 6 destroyed, 269 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 13 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 14 disabled

Allied ground losses:
1295 casualties reported
Squads: 7 destroyed, 162 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 25 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 11 disabled

Assaulting units:
6th Ind.Mixed Brigade
41st Division
37th Division
7th Ind.Mixed Brigade
4th Ind.Mixed Brigade
9th Ind.Mixed Brigade
1st Army
6th Medium Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
1st Chinese Corps
3rd Chinese Corps
33rd Chinese Corps
43rd Chinese Corps
34th Chinese Corps
61st Chinese Corps
7th Group Army
8th Group Army

I need to be able to delay here and not suffer too badly to allow troops around Sian to march east.

Moderately damaged Prince of Wales and Repulse make port at Cape Town. They take up almost all the repair shipyard space and will need over 300 days to repair

Notes: The biggest thing that my brand of OCD-ness is adjusting too is where things are from logistical point of view. Lots of shipping scattered all over the map. I want to bring some order to this chaos and it will take a few months.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 107
RE: Invasion USA!! Dontra85 (J) vs NY59Giants (A) - 5/25/2018 11:51:12 AM   
HansBolter

[
quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants_MatrixForum

[Notes: The biggest thing that my brand of OCD-ness is adjusting too is where things are from logistical point of view. Lots of shipping scattered all over the map. I want to bring some order to this chaos and it will take a few months.
quote:

This is the biggest task an Allied player faces at the start of any scenario.

The transport shipping starts scattered around the world.

On December 8th, I comb through every port on the board assessing what ships need to be immediately started on the way back to supply and reinforcement arrival ports.

It's also important to check every one for potential conversions as many at start ships can convert to AGs, AKEs and AKVs. Don't want to get these ships tied up in cargo convoys.

I get every last ship needed headed on there way in single or 2-3 ship TFs regardless of availability of escorts, which are almost non-existent at start.

The way I see it, the Japanese haven't yet had time to get subs and surface raiders into position to materially effect this exodus and a few scattered ship losses here and there is the cost of ding business.

This shipping is far to necessary to get into action to sit around waiting for sufficient escorts to get back to main supply hubs.

Hans

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 108
RE: Invasion USA!! Dontra85 (J) vs NY59Giants (A) - 5/25/2018 12:11:42 PM   
ny59giants

42 Jan 24 thru 27: Mainly just China

24th:
KB moves away from USA!! She is now 18 NW (204, 61) of San Fran
China -
1 W Chihsien - bombings continue, but Japanese forces are still trying to catch up.
5 E Sian - bombings followed by ground bb
Pakhoi, 1 NW Paotow, Kuching, Wenchow, 1 NW Sinyang (I have decent size stack here trying to get across and past Nanyang) - lightly bombed
Bases lost - Sibolga
Intel - Gds Mix Bde prepping for Port Moreseby (I have an Aussie division prepping for, but need PP and transport across from Townsville area)

25th:
KB is unaccounted for
China -
2 ESE Nanchang - my stack continues its march west and is in clear terrain. Only 80 bombers attack.
1 SE Nanyang - over 75 sally attack this retreating stack as it heads for more defensible terrain.
5 E Sian - my stack is attacked and hold with casualties slightly worse for Japan
quote:

Ground combat at Singapore (50,84)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 74741 troops, 862 guns, 463 vehicles, Assault Value = 2413

Defending force 24658 troops, 360 guns, 203 vehicles, Assault Value = 282

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 0

Japanese adjusted assault: 1388

Allied adjusted defense: 457

Japanese assault odds: 3 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Singapore !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
2794 casualties reported
Squads: 22 destroyed, 248 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 27 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 39 disabled

Allied ground losses:
31471 casualties reported
Squads: 396 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 3218 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 179 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 385 (385 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 187 (187 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 29

Assaulting units:
5th/C Division
5th/B Division
38th/B Division
41st Infantry Regiment
18th/A Division
56th Engineer Regiment
1st Tank Regiment
33rd Division
113th Infantry Regiment
18th/B Division
56th Recon Regiment
5th/A Division
38th/A Division
38th/C Division
21st Division
18th/C Division
3rd Mortar Battalion
18th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
25th Army
56th Field Artillery Regiment
3rd Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment
5th Mortar Battalion
3rd Medium Field Artillery Regiment
1st RF Gun Battalion
14th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion

Defending units:
2/17 Dogra Battalion
2nd Malay Battalion
1st Hyderabad Battalion
27th Australian Brigade
1st Malay Battalion
2nd Loyal Battalion
1st Manchester Battalion
22nd Australian Brigade
2nd Gordons Battalion
12th Indian Brigade
Singapore Fortress
3rd HK&S Light AA Regiment
Malayan Air Wing
Malaya Army
1st HK&S Heavy AA Regiment
29 Battery/3 HAA
2/215th Bty 80th AT Gun Regiment
1st Indian Heavy AA Regiment
30 Battery/3 HAA
III Indian Corps
Singapore Base Force
2nd ISF Base Force
1st Mysore Battalion
22nd Indian Mountain Gun Regiment
110th RAF Base Force
AHQ Far East
1st ISF Base Force
111th RAF Base Force
5th Field Regiment

Not as bad as you would think since many troops had been shipped out.

Bases lost - Singapore, Kuching, Djambi (para)

26th:
Luzon -
Clark - 60 Sally hit AF
China -
5 E Sian - another deliberate attack causes more casualties for Allies, so ordered west.
2 ENE Nanchang - 130 bombers
Bases lost - Malaybalay
Intel - 6th Inf Grp prepping for Port Moresby (second unit to do so)

27th:
KB sends 23 Z & 19 K to sink picket AM. It reveals KB now at 185, 67 (34 NNW of San Fran)
Tulagi - 2 BBs, 4 CAs, 3 CLs, 6 DDs hit base and do surprisingly little damage.
Clark - only 40 Sally
China -
2 ESE Nanchang - over 100 bombers
Chungking - 40 Betty
Bases lost - Loyang

Notes:
Troops are now detraining at bases around Portland before they begin there march to take it back.

Many conversions occurring in ports - xAKs to xAPs and a few to AEs.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 109
RE: Invasion USA!! Dontra85 (J) vs NY59Giants (A) - 5/25/2018 5:52:00 PM   
Mundy

Good news about KB is that they'll only get weaker.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 110
RE: Invasion USA!! Dontra85 (J) vs NY59Giants (A) - 7/9/2018 3:14:43 PM   
USSAmerica

Hey Michael, any progress with this game? I think I'm not alone in really wanting to see how this one plays out!

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 111
RE: Invasion USA!! Dontra85 (J) vs NY59Giants (A) - 7/9/2018 3:27:47 PM   
ny59giants

Early April 42:

Portland fell and back in Allied hands a few days ago.

China is where the action is. I was not happy when he flew a 75 plane Zero sweep of Chungking and wiped out over 30 fighters. He reported it was a training group. Now, I face a mega-stack 1 NW of Nanyang on the road to Sian. This is a non-SL game, so this could be too common. Just mass many, many LCUs in a hex and smash your way to victory. I've stopped him along my MLR, but have no reserves as he bombs my AF relentlessly and no supply in Chungking to fill out depleted Corps.

Luzon - Out of supply resulted in Clark lost about week ago. Down to him marching into Bataan to finish.

PM fell to overland campaign about month ago.

Fortress Timor - Still untouched, but recon over Koepang last few days. He has massive army at Soerabaja. 4 American and now Brit CVs at Darwin.

Logistics, Logistics, Logistics - Trying and getting some success here, but everybody needs PPs spent. A nice thing for my Aussie is if I keep them in same Command HQ, I can buy them out cheaper.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 112
RE: Invasion USA!! Dontra85 (J) vs NY59Giants (A) - 7/10/2018 1:51:59 PM   
USSAmerica

Portland was really never in doubt. Were you able to cut off and crush his divisions there or did he pull them out quickly in a true "smash and grab job"?

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 113
RE: Invasion USA!! Dontra85 (J) vs NY59Giants (A) - 7/13/2018 10:43:14 AM   
ny59giants

Game Over!!

I've resigned. I thought I could play a game without Stacking Limits(SL). I cannot. I just got a WR hex overrun in two attacks by a mega-stack. the Corps had been there for enough time to have forts at 3 or 4 with troops all over 50. I guess my mindset is geared for defending like a game has SL. The date is 5 April 42.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 114
RE: Invasion USA!! Dontra85 (J) vs NY59Giants (A) - 7/13/2018 12:25:53 PM   
uncivil_servant

There is zero shame good sir. I think you are most wise to exit now as I think your frustrations would just increase over time.
In a short period of time you dealt with:
Uber-stack of death
Non base/dot hex landings
The magical resizing of air-groups to 75
and a Gamey west coast raid (if a real invasion it would be different) but a very gamey just enough to take a city and abuse the game engine destroying everything (even not even designed or conceived up yet) the city would ever build for holding it for a few days.

Know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk-away, and know when to run.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 115
RE: Invasion USA!! Dontra85 (J) vs NY59Giants (A) - 7/13/2018 12:38:56 PM   
modrow

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants_MatrixForum

Game Over!!

I've resigned. I thought I could play a game without Stacking Limits(SL). I cannot. I just got a WR hex overrun in two attacks by a mega-stack. the Corps had been there for enough time to have forts at 3 or 4 with troops all over 50. I guess my mindset is geared for defending like a game has SL. The date is 5 April 42.

A pity. I would have been interested to see how this plays out. Do you think it would make sense if another replacement player would take over?

Hartwig

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 116
RE: Invasion USA!! Dontra85 (J) vs NY59Giants (A) - 7/13/2018 1:56:18 PM   
ny59giants

My initial interest was in overcoming the loss of ships from Portland. I do like the logistics in the game and this would have been a challenge. Recently, I had two days of sweeps over Chungking in which a 75 plane Zero group destroyed over 20 P-40s and other aircraft. I was told it was a training group.
I think I had pulled back and defended China well as Donald was stymied around the perimeter. In two successful attacks using a mega-stack he blew through my defense 1 NW Nanyang. I don't mind being beaten by superior tactics.
I've done well to get the logistics up and running the way I prefer.

If you like a stock game, without stacking limits, minimal conversation in your emails, and able to do at least one turn per day. Please PM and I'll pass on Don's email.

(in reply to modrow)
Post #: 117
RE: Invasion USA!! Dontra85 (J) vs NY59Giants (A) - 7/13/2018 2:26:27 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: uncivil_servant

No comment on your other points, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with landing on dot bases. Some of the most valuable real estate in the game starts out that way.

The Moose

(in reply to uncivil_servant)
Post #: 118
RE: Invasion USA!! Dontra85 (J) vs NY59Giants (A) - 7/13/2018 2:38:01 PM   
uncivil_servant

My apologies, I meant landing at hexes with no base OR even a dot. NYG further up the page "1 SW of Wenchow sees a TF unloading. So, non-bases invasions are on the table for this game. "

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

No comment on your other points, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with landing on dot bases. Some of the most valuable real estate in the game starts out that way.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 119
RE: Invasion USA!! Dontra85 (J) vs NY59Giants (A) - 7/13/2018 2:52:08 PM   
witpqs

quote:

My apologies, I meant landing at hexes with no base OR even a dot. NYG further up the page "1 SW of Wenchow sees a TF unloading. So, non-bases invasions are on the table for this game. "

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

I disagree with your point that non-base/dot landings are bad. There are significant penalties to the landings units and as a result they are rarely done. I do suppose they (like anything) could be abused if tiny fractional units were used for them, but that would be a different issue on it's own. Obviously YMMV.

(in reply to uncivil_servant)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Invasion USA!! Dontra85 (J) vs NY59Giants (A) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI