Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Does Cairo always fall?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> The War Room >> Does Cairo always fall? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Does Cairo always fall? - 5/30/2018 10:01:03 PM   
elxaime

I have seen various strategies posted for holding Cairo, but often when you dig deeper you find it is a strategy used against an AI opponent. How have people fared in PBEM? What are some successful approaches?

< Message edited by elxaime -- 5/30/2018 10:05:22 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Does Cairo always fall? - 5/31/2018 1:16:46 AM   
KorutZelva

Some manage to keep it by having the Allies go on the offensive early. From the AARs the only time I remember Egypt holding with a defensive posture was Taxman vs MrLongleg.

(in reply to elxaime)
Post #: 2
RE: Does Cairo always fall? - 5/31/2018 2:10:39 AM   
elxaime

quote:

ORIGINAL: KorutZelva

Some manage to keep it by having the Allies go on the offensive early. From the AARs the only time I remember Egypt holding with a defensive posture was Taxman vs MrLongleg.

I have noticed some advocate an early invasion of Italy itself, given that typically the Axis sends the entire Italian military to Africa.

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 3
RE: Does Cairo always fall? - 5/31/2018 2:26:22 AM   
KorutZelva

quote:

ORIGINAL: elxaime

quote:

ORIGINAL: KorutZelva

I have noticed some advocate an early invasion of Italy itself, given that typically the Axis sends the entire Italian military to Africa.

The UK and France don't have the tech to grab to dislodge an entrenched garrison amphibiously at this stage of the game but it's true that it's not unlikely that some National Morale cities would be undefended.

(in reply to elxaime)
Post #: 4
RE: Does Cairo always fall? - 6/6/2018 10:32:28 AM   
Ktonos

Tried invading Rome twice in pbems that opponents took 4+ weeks to capture Poland (thus beginners, so I could take some heavier risks). In both cases I end up losing the invasion force in its entirety. A 3rd time, I tried invading undefended NM targets in southern Italy and Sicily with much more success. Captured Naples and the whole Sicily. Naples is easy to withdraw from since its port is usually at level 5 when captured. This may cost 100+ MPPs (in transports to invade and then leave) but gives a good NM hit. Sicily was very hard to recapture, Axis committed much there and in the end I managed to withdraw most of the invading force - and Italy inherited a nice double NM hit from the whole endeavor.

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 5
RE: Does Cairo always fall? - 6/10/2018 7:44:46 PM   
DerJager

I have actually never lost Cairo in a PBEM game, but I have not been playing this game very long either. It could certainly happen one day when I run up against an SCWW2:WIE fanatic who has played 10,000 games and reads every tip and trick that is posted.

Honestly at this point, I don't even know who those people are.

One day I will make it a point to find out.

"The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the man who sits in it."
- Manfred von Richtofen

(in reply to Ktonos)
Post #: 6
RE: Does Cairo always fall? - 7/24/2018 1:31:30 PM   
Rannug61

DerJäger, you should play a game against Sugar(Axis)...

< Message edited by Rannug61 -- 7/24/2018 1:32:25 PM >

"En svensk tiger"

(in reply to DerJager)
Post #: 7
RE: Does Cairo always fall? - 7/24/2018 5:18:29 PM   
DerJager

I have done a lot of studying, both of the forums and the game, since the time of my last post in June. I have learned a great deal from the AAR posts in the forums. I still need to perfect the mechanics of my play, as well as learn the delicate balance of timing and force allocation. I now agree that the Axis, properly played by an experienced player who knows exactly what he is doing, have a distinct advantage which is primarily centered around research and the control of the initiative. Inexperienced players cannot properly capitalize on this. Inexperienced players will nearly always lose when playing the Axis.

Cairo should always fall. There is a long list of other locations that should always fall as well.

I will challenge Sugar one day, but I am not nearly to that point yet. I still have a lot of details to perfect. Sugar will undoubtedly tear me to shreds in my first encounter with him, but in so doing, he will not be able to avoid teaching me his method. I am learning it second hand from the AARs. I think KZ said it best when he described Sugar as a "machine". Based on what I have read, Sugar has developed a superior Axis strategy that no one has been able to defeat, and his play is utterly flawless. His understanding of the SC3 System is absolutely comprehensive, and his experience with it is unrivaled. There is no doubt that Sugar is the man to beat. He is the very best. He is totally awesome in SC3. Some of you in this forum are very excellent players as well. None of you have yet ever beaten Sugar. That speaks volumes for his talent.

"The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the man who sits in it."
- Manfred von Richtofen

(in reply to Rannug61)
Post #: 8
RE: Does Cairo always fall? - 7/24/2018 6:29:55 PM   
KorutZelva

quote:

ORIGINAL: DerJager

I have done a lot of studying, both of the forums and the game, since the time of my last post in June. I have learned a great deal from the AAR posts in the forums. I still need to perfect the mechanics of my play, as well as learn the delicate balance of timing and force allocation. I now agree that the Axis, properly played by an experienced player who knows exactly what he is doing, have a distinct advantage which is primarily centered around research and the control of the initiative. Inexperienced players cannot properly capitalize on this. Inexperienced players will nearly always lose when playing the Axis.

Cairo should always fall. There is a long list of other locations that should always fall as well.

I will challenge Sugar one day, but I am not nearly to that point yet. I still have a lot of details to perfect. Sugar will undoubtedly tear me to shreds in my first encounter with him, but in so doing, he will not be able to avoid teaching me his method. I am learning it second hand from the AARs. I think KZ said it best when he described Sugar as a "machine". Based on what I have read, Sugar has developed a superior Axis strategy that no one has been able to defeat, and his play is utterly flawless. His understanding of the SC3 System is absolutely comprehensive, and his experience with it is unrivaled. There is no doubt that Sugar is the man to beat. He is the very best. He is totally awesome in SC3. Some of you in this forum are very excellent players as well. None of you have yet ever beaten Sugar. That speaks volumes for his talent.

I can coach you.

(in reply to DerJager)
Post #: 9
RE: Does Cairo always fall? - 7/24/2018 6:44:36 PM   
DerJager

Thank you, KZ. I am going to take you up on your offer. It will greatly shorten my learning curve, as you are an exceptional SC3 player yourself.

- Manfred von Richtofen

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> The War Room >> Does Cairo always fall? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI