Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 7/23/2018 1:11:22 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: jurassic_v

hi! thanks for the great mod!

I have a problem/question
I was playing my game and managed to subjugate an AI faction but after that my income increased skyhigh, I started getting milions of credits and my cashflow is 2.5 milions which makes the game pretty much over. this is a very early game and I have so much money I can do anything. I guess this happened because of the forementioned bonuses AI factions get? I don't have this command "allowInfrastructureImprovements" in the BaconSettings.txt. is there a way to change this in my current game without the need to start a new one? I am using Bacon mod and Retreat1970's mod

You should have the entries in your baconsettings.txt. Perhaps you were using Bacon mod from before those features were added and you didn't update your BaconSettings.txt file?

You should have this entry in your file:

// This allows spending on infrastructure projects to boost a planet's development level. Durability is how fast the investment decays. 1.0 = no decay, 01 = very fast decay. range 0.1 = 1. Recommended value is 0.9 Smaller populations receive a bigger effect and decay rate is lower.
allowInfrastructureImprovements=true
infrastructureSpendingPerDevelopmentLevel=25000
infrastuctureDurability=0.9

Also, you mentioned subjugation. In the BaconSettings.txt file there is an option to change the percentage tribute you receive for subjugation. The game defaults to 10%. My default in the BaconSettings is 50%.

// This is the percentage of income a subjugated empire must pay to its master 0.1 (i.e. 10%) is default.
SubjugationTributePercentage=0.5

Try adding the above entries and set tribute back to 10% and disable infrastructure improvements.

< Message edited by RogerBacon -- 7/23/2018 1:14:34 PM >

BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08

(in reply to jurassic_v)
Post #: 721
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 7/23/2018 1:37:47 PM   
Sabranan

Incidentally Roger allowInfrastructureImprovements definitely needs capping. The Ancient Guardians have buckets of cash and only one planet, so they just go into insane values after a while and end up having so many ships the game can't handle it.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 722
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 7/23/2018 1:53:04 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sabranan

Incidentally Roger allowInfrastructureImprovements definitely needs capping. The Ancient Guardians have buckets of cash and only one planet, so they just go into insane values after a while and end up having so many ships the game can't handle it.

Wow, I haven't played story mode in so long I forgot about the ancient guardians.
I will introduce a cap in the next update.

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 723
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 7/23/2018 9:25:25 PM   
jurassic_v

quote:

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon

You should have the entries in your baconsettings.txt. Perhaps you were using Bacon mod from before those features were added and you didn't update your BaconSettings.txt file?

You should have this entry in your file:

// This allows spending on infrastructure projects to boost a planet's development level. Durability is how fast the investment decays. 1.0 = no decay, 01 = very fast decay. range 0.1 = 1. Recommended value is 0.9 Smaller populations receive a bigger effect and decay rate is lower.
allowInfrastructureImprovements=true
infrastructureSpendingPerDevelopmentLevel=25000
infrastuctureDurability=0.9

Also, you mentioned subjugation. In the BaconSettings.txt file there is an option to change the percentage tribute you receive for subjugation. The game defaults to 10%. My default in the BaconSettings is 50%.

// This is the percentage of income a subjugated empire must pay to its master 0.1 (i.e. 10%) is default.
SubjugationTributePercentage=0.5

Try adding the above entries and set tribute back to 10% and disable infrastructure improvements.

Thank you so much for the answer. do you think the problem could be if i put 0.25 for subjugation tribute in baconsettings and that value is not used correctly in the game?

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 724
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 7/23/2018 10:02:30 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: jurassic_v

Thank you so much for the answer. do you think the problem could be if i put 0.25 for subjugation tribute in baconsettings and that value is not used correctly in the game?

No. 0.25 is fine. I'm using 0.5. The reason you saw your money spike up is probably because the AI player who is now giving you 25% tribute spent a lot of money on infrastructure investment.

(in reply to jurassic_v)
Post #: 725
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 7/24/2018 3:09:34 PM   
RogerBacon

Version 1.73 released.

• Ship repair for highly skilled crews. (Scotty never needed a repair bot).
• Reduced crew skill reduction for damage taken (was 5 times damage taken, now 3 times so crews should keep their experienced status easier).
• Repair-only bases. Bases who’s names begin with # will only repair and upgrade ships, not build new ones. This can help avoid long delays when the AI selects a base with resource shortages to be the building base.
• Damaged ships in the shiplist view and in the details window will show different colors for different damage states. Armor only damage will show in yellow. Destroyed hyperdrive will show in aqua. Other damage will show in red as usual.
• ReloadTemplates reworked. Previously the Ai was not actually creting new designs for the new templates. Now it will.
• Mission – Prospect for Resources
• Mission – Explore ruins
• User-defined cap on infrastructure investing added.
• Ships with a repair mission that manage to self-repair will cancel their repair mission.
• Pirate empires can order construction ships to be built at independent planets where they have a sufficient level of control. (Select planet and use alt-ctrl-right click menu).

A little note on missions. A science ship with an officer on board can perform two types of missions: explore ruins and prospect for resources. The procedure is the same in both cases. Move to within 300 range of the target planet and use the alt-ctrl-right click menu and then select the desired mission. Obviously to "explore ruins" you need to be next to a planet with ruins.

The results of a successful mission are as follows:
1 Explore ruins - the ship will acquire some scientific data for its labs. This is good on small maps where you've already discovered everything and your science ships have no data left to process.
2 Prospect for resources - The science ship might find some resources that the exploration ship missed.

In both cases there is a chance that the ship officer can die. The Ai can not use these mission but I think its still balanced sicne it requires a fair amount of micro-management on the player's part. Hopefully some people will find it adds to the role-playing aspect of the game.

< Message edited by RogerBacon -- 7/24/2018 3:12:54 PM >

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 726
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 7/26/2018 8:20:57 PM   
elvendeathknight

Hi,

I have started a pre-warp game. Usually, I keep tax as low as possible to boost growth. After building my first spaceport, private sector building ships gives me some money.

In my latest game, it took a long time (well it seemed long) before the private sector started ordering ships (after I researched Warp field precursors). Private sector ordered these ships after I modified their design to add an hyperdrive, but otherwise the designs should have been buildable before.

It never happened to me in a vanilla game. At the moment, I use BaconWorld mod, which includes my own version of Baconsettings.

Any idea on this or it's just my mind playing tricks on me ?

Thanks !

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 727
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 7/30/2018 6:05:17 PM   
catweasel

First of all, excellent mod! One of the reasons that made me again spending many hours with DW:U.

I didn't alter any parameters, yet I noticed that my Construction Ships frequently run out of fuel while they just continue with their queued missions. Right now I have one that travels with reduced speed across multiple sectors to build a mining base, passing various various option to refuel. I usually don't micromanage the construction ships, I just add build orders to their queue and assume refueling (and stockpiling resources) to happen without my intervention. Has this behaviour changed?

(in reply to elvendeathknight)
Post #: 728
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 7/30/2018 9:55:52 PM   
RogerBacon

Hi ArchMike and CatWeasel,

I haven't made any changes in those areas. The private sector should build ships as before. Perhaps your ship design was bigger than allowed for your tech or perhaps the private sector didn't have a positive income. They won't build anything if they have a negative income, even if they have millions of credits.

I don't know if constructors will go to get fuel if they have pending construction orders. Maybe let the current build orders finish up and see if they refuel. Or cancel orders for one of them and see if it refuels.

(in reply to catweasel)
Post #: 729
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 7/31/2018 10:22:49 AM   
catweasel

Thanks for the feedback. In vanilla version (with AI improvement mod, to be precise) they refueled independently, even when they had build orders. Anyway, no big issue, I'll keep an eye on fuel.

Two questions:
- any chance that order queues can be edited with your mod?
- If I do not want to differentiate between fighter/bomber bays (use case: one bay for a small base), how do I get the mixed loadout back? In my current config (without BaconWorld) only fighters i.e. interceptors are built.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 730
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 7/31/2018 11:55:42 AM   
couchfun

Hi RogerBacon,

I love your work and I am interested in modding DW as well. I have two questions I did not find any information about so far.
- How did you manage to write and compile your mod? (API, decompilation, exclusive access,...) All other mods but yours only use the modding interface described in the modding guide and do not provide an exe.
- Is the source code of you mod available anywhere? (github,...)

Regards

< Message edited by couchfun -- 7/31/2018 12:05:23 PM >

(in reply to catweasel)
Post #: 731
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 7/31/2018 3:31:07 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: catweasel

Thanks for the feedback. In vanilla version (with AI improvement mod, to be precise) they refueled independently, even when they had build orders. Anyway, no big issue, I'll keep an eye on fuel.

Two questions:
- any chance that order queues can be edited with your mod?
- If I do not want to differentiate between fighter/bomber bays (use case: one bay for a small base), how do I get the mixed loadout back? In my current config (without BaconWorld) only fighters i.e. interceptors are built.

1 Not right now. I usually don't queue missions for a ship so I've never had the need. I may look into it in the future though.
2 Unfortunately fighters are exclusive to fighter bays and bombers are exclusive to bomber bays in my mod. A bomber bay is any fighter bay that contains the word "bomber". Otherwise it is a fighter bay. I may look into adding a third type that has the old default 50/50 split.

quote:

ORIGINAL: couchfun

Hi RogerBacon,

I love your work and I am interested in modding DW as well. I have two questions I did not find any information about so far.
- How did you manage to write and compile your mod? (API, decompilation, exclusive access,...) All other mods but yours only use the modding interface described in the modding guide and do not provide an exe.
- Is the source code of you mod available anywhere? (github,...)

Regards

Hi couchfun,

I'm afraid I can speak on this matter, especially if we want to see modding like this for DW2 when it comes out.

(in reply to couchfun)
Post #: 732
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 8/1/2018 1:39:35 AM   
baden200

Hello,

Did this mod add "show travel vectors for state ships" while fully zoomed in on system view? The issue I am having is while zoomed in with travel vectors enabled my fps goes from 60fps to less than 5, disabling goes back to 60. On the default exe it doesn't show vectors unless zoomed out of system and has no fps drop. Any advice or am I missing something? Thank you.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 733
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 8/1/2018 2:22:21 AM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: baden200

Hello,

Did this mod add "show travel vectors for state ships" while fully zoomed in on system view? The issue I am having is while zoomed in with travel vectors enabled my fps goes from 60fps to less than 5, disabling goes back to 60. On the default exe it doesn't show vectors unless zoomed out of system and has no fps drop. Any advice or am I missing something? Thank you.

I believe that is a byproduct of turning range circles on. Try turning them off and see if that helps. I had them default to off until a couple versions ago specifically because I was concerned about frame rate but since I never saw any slow down I defaulted them to on back in 1.71 or thereabouts.

(in reply to baden200)
Post #: 734
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 8/1/2018 3:26:08 AM   
baden200

Thank you, turning off range circles fixed this issue for me.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 735
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 8/1/2018 9:02:32 AM   
couchfun

quote:

Hi couchfun,

I'm afraid I can speak on this matter, especially if we want to see modding like this for DW2 when it comes out.

Oh, thats a pity. I can only guess that you have earned yourself some kind of agreement with the developers then. And of course I'd love to see that kind of modding in DW2. Thank you for answering.

< Message edited by couchfun -- 8/1/2018 9:03:56 AM >

(in reply to baden200)
Post #: 736
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 8/6/2018 11:33:39 AM   
elvendeathknight

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the answer. I don’t have an old save, but it must have been the negative income. After the initial delay, I had no problem whatsoever with private sector. I will keep an eye on this in my next game.

(in reply to couchfun)
Post #: 737
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 8/6/2018 1:00:21 PM   
paraboxx_slith

Hey Bacon, thanks for the mod! I noticed that none of my ships actually reduce their speed when they run out of fuel. This issue goes away when I set my system locale to US English, probably so that the '.' character is interpreted as decimal separator instead of number group separator. Specifying the culture of the text file when parsing numbers from those files should fix that.

Post #: 738
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 8/6/2018 2:01:35 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: paraboxx_slith

Hey Bacon, thanks for the mod! I noticed that none of my ships actually reduce their speed when they run out of fuel. This issue goes away when I set my system locale to US English, probably so that the '.' character is interpreted as decimal separator instead of number group separator. Specifying the culture of the text file when parsing numbers from those files should fix that.

Wow, great catch and great logical deduction to identify the cause of the problem. If you had just mentioned the problem I could have looked at it for a very long time and never thought about the culture issue. I'll look into fixing that for the next release.

(in reply to paraboxx_slith)
Post #: 739
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 8/6/2018 2:20:45 PM   
LongshotX

I don't see the link or file to download this file in the first post. Am I being daft?

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 740
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 8/6/2018 3:17:31 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: LongshotX

I don't see the link or file to download this file in the first post. Am I being daft?

Each update has a link under the date of the update. Look for the last update under
Update 2018-07-24

And welcome to the Bacon Mod.

(in reply to LongshotX)
Post #: 741
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 8/6/2018 10:55:55 PM   
paraboxx_slith

Soooo, the Boskara Hive, one of the top five empires in my game, just offered me their homeworld for enacting some random trade sanctions. Is this expected behavior or something that might be the result of the numbers being read wrong from BaconSettings when I first started the game?

Another thing I don't understand is !infrastructure. At all. Am I supposed to do anything with it? Is the AI doing something with it? Is it automated for me? I had only 1% of galaxy GDP while being one of the larger empires around. Is this related?

Apart from that, I'm going to quit this run again. As much as I like the early game, I really dislike how I have to babysit everything wrt refueling when the empire gets stretched out a bit. Most of my refueling points along major routes are unused since it seems all ships just fuel up before and after missions, but never during. That seems to be an issue I've always run into when playing the game and made me quit.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 742
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 8/6/2018 11:09:23 PM   
sotthata

Yeah, paraboxx. I agree that refueling in this game is garbage. If I tell you to refuel, I mean refuel. I don't mean, well, kinda refuel as much as you can and then call it quits.

And since fuel is the single most important resource, your gas haulers should have fuel priority, followed by your military ships, followed by everything else that's yours, followed by foreign ships. Because without fuel, you have no military. Or more specifically, you'll have someone else's military.

Modding fuel harvesting and storage to high rates helps, and still allows some strategic gameplay by taking out enemy refueling stations.

Post #: 743
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 8/7/2018 2:19:44 AM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: paraboxx_slith

Soooo, the Boskara Hive, one of the top five empires in my game, just offered me their homeworld for enacting some random trade sanctions. Is this expected behavior or something that might be the result of the numbers being read wrong from BaconSettings when I first started the game?

Another thing I don't understand is !infrastructure. At all. Am I supposed to do anything with it? Is the AI doing something with it? Is it automated for me? I had only 1% of galaxy GDP while being one of the larger empires around. Is this related?

Apart from that, I'm going to quit this run again. As much as I like the early game, I really dislike how I have to babysit everything wrt refueling when the empire gets stretched out a bit. Most of my refueling points along major routes are unused since it seems all ships just fuel up before and after missions, but never during. That seems to be an issue I've always run into when playing the game and made me quit.

Hi. When you say 'Homeworld" I assume the planet named after the race but not necessarily their capital, right? It is my understanding that a race NEVER trades or sells their capital. I once used the editor to give myself one billion credits to test this out and even a crappy empire would not sell their capital for any amount of money (they had other planets too so it wasn't their only one).
That being said, I think what may have happened is this: Assuming you started this game at lest one version of the mod ago, when ther ewas no cap on infrastructure, some of the AI races probably went wild with infrastructure and that raised the global money supply. The calculated value of thigns seems to account for inflation and so that trade sanctions were over valued. With the cap on infrastructure now you should not see that again. I've only once saw the Ai offer a planet in trade for trade sanctions and it was a pretty crappy planet.

Infrastructure was my attempt to find something for the player to do with excess money. Some games I'd have 3 or 4 or 10 million sitting around and nothing to burn it on. It's good to raise happiness after conquering a planet. The default setting in the settings file may make it too good. Perhaps lowering the durability a bit will make it more balanced.

Post #: 744
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 8/7/2018 2:11:31 PM   
RogerBacon

Version 1.74 released.
Added tags so users can define what a fighter bay caries by name.
In the settings file you have

fighterBayLabel=fighter
bomberBayLabel=bomber
mixedBayLabel=assault

When a ship builds fighters it will build 4 fighters if the component name contains the fighter label, 4 bombers if the name contains the bomber label and 2 of each if the name contains the mixed label.
Hopefully this will make it easier for people to play with the vanilla fighter/bomber mix. For users that are happy with the split bays you don't have to change anything. Note that the game checks the labels in order so you can't have your mixed bay called "FighterBomber bay" because the game would math it to "Fighter" unless you changed the fighter label to something else.

Also, some minor fixes.

Also, one new command from the Bacon input window that I will reveal shortly.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 745
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 8/8/2018 11:51:57 AM   
elvendeathknight

In my current game, I’m using gravity wells for the first time. It is a different experience.

I had the bug where a system is not visible even though an explorer is there. I tried moving the ship. I also tried CTRL F. In the end, my explorer got killed by a kaltor.

Thanks for the new labels about starfighters !

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 746
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 8/8/2018 12:46:56 PM   
StarLab

quote:

Version 1.74 released.
Added tags so users can define what a fighter bay caries by name.
In the settings file you have

fighterBayLabel=fighter
bomberBayLabel=bomber
mixedBayLabel=assault

When a ship builds fighters it will build 4 fighters if the component name contains the fighter label, 4 bombers if the name contains the bomber label and 2 of each if the name contains the mixed label.
Hopefully this will make it easier for people to play with the vanilla fighter/bomber mix. For users that are happy with the split bays you don't have to change anything. Note that the game checks the labels in order so you can't have your mixed bay called "FighterBomber bay" because the game would math it to "Fighter" unless you changed the fighter label to something else.

Also, some minor fixes.

Also, one new command from the Bacon input window that I will reveal shortly.

Well poop! I guess I should have checked this thread before recording today. Oh well, I'll upgrade before next recording session.

-Larry Monte

Latest YouTube Series
DW2 Mortalen Preview
DW2 Ackdarian Preview

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 747
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 8/8/2018 12:54:41 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: ArchMike

In my current game, I’m using gravity wells for the first time. It is a different experience.

I had the bug where a system is not visible even though an explorer is there.

Sometimes that happens. I have a check in there where it will fix itself after a few seconds (usually less than 10 on normal speed).
When you used ctrl-F did you get a message saying your ship was in or outside of the system? You did have the ship selected when hitting ctrl-F, right?

Post #: 748
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 8/8/2018 1:04:20 PM   
elvendeathknight

If I remember well, I had a message in the top box saying the ship was in the system. I was playing at 4x, so maybe I was not patient enough and got killed by the kaltor before the fix got applied. I pretty sure I had the ship selected before hitting ctrl-F, but it was the first time I got that bug. If it happens again, I will save my game and be more thorough in my testing.

Anyway, it was a rather small annoyance. Thanks again for your mod and your support

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 749
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 8/8/2018 10:01:06 PM   
paraboxx_slith

quote:

Hi. When you say 'Homeworld" I assume the planet named after the race but not necessarily their capital, right?

Nope, that was their capital. Because right after the trade I owned all their ships and got the wipe-out-an-empire achievement. But as I said, I started the game with non-US regional settings so all the numbers in BaconSettings were interpreted horribly wrong.

quote:

Infrastructure was my attempt to find something for the player to do with excess money. Some games I'd have 3 or 4 or 10 million sitting around and nothing to burn it on. It's good to raise happiness after conquering a planet. The default setting in the settings file may make it too good. Perhaps lowering the durability a bit will make it more balanced.

Ok that explains what you wanted to achieve with it. What I still don't know is if I have any disadvantages vs the AI if I ignore the feature while it is active. I think the docs could use some hint if the AI is using infrastructure spending and also if there is any automation for my own empire for it. Because if AI uses it and I don't I will fall behind. Right?

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 750
Page:   <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI