Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Greatest WWII Movie--EVER!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/2/2018 11:22:28 PM   
John 3rd

In honor of Mr. Roper, my sons and I just got done watching the BEST EVER World War Two film---Kelly's Heroes. Dan is a huge fan of it and probably feels bad that we didn't let him know of the film event prior to watching it.

Who LOVES it?

Who DOES NOT?

Woof-Woof!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/
Post #: 1
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/2/2018 11:29:27 PM   
Canoerebel

Oh, man. Arg. What a movie! Who doesn't relish a rollicking WWII movie with a groovie, pot-smoking '60s feel to it? "I'll see your M*A*S*H and raise you one!"

Thank goodness Hollywood never injected a granola-eating, animal-hugging character into an 1870s Great Plains epic <cough, cough: Dances With Wolves> nor a debauched, Las Vegas-striptease aura to a southern highlands Civil War flik <hack, hack: Cold Mountain>.

John III: troll.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 2
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/2/2018 11:31:57 PM   
JohnDillworth

Well I love that movie too! Would have invited Dan over because he doesn't have a TV. Not sure he would be at home in my neck of the woods but we have some pretty long hiking trails so he should be OK

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 3
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/2/2018 11:39:02 PM   
mind_messing

Always with the negative waves?

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 4
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 1:54:23 AM   
John 3rd

Troll? TROLL??!!

TROLL!

Sweet, Innocent, and PURE that is me. Just like ALL JFB!

I accept this compliment and raise you a "logistics?? We've got logistics comin' out of our a**es!!"

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 5
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 1:59:19 AM   
Anachro

I've never seen it. That said, it certainly can't be worse than The Thin Red Line or Dunkirk, both which I watched lost year and thoroughly hated. As for my favorite WW2 movie...hmm...The Bridge on the River Kwai? Tora tora tora? Letters from Iwo Jima?

Not movies, but I enjoyed Band of Brothers and The Pacific HBO mini-series. Of the two, I actually thought The Pacific better in some ways.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 6
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 2:02:53 AM   
Anachro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Oh, man. Arg. What a movie! Who doesn't relish a rollicking WWII movie with a groovie, pot-smoking '60s feel to it? "I'll see your M*A*S*H and raise you one!"

Thank goodness Hollywood never injected a granola-eating, animal-hugging character into an 1870s Great Plains epic <cough, cough: Dances With Wolves> nor a debauched, Las Vegas-striptease aura to a southern highlands Civil War flik <hack, hack: Cold Mountain>.

John III: troll.

I don't remember much of Dances With Wolves, but I do remember seeing Cold Mountain in theaters and enjoying it for the most part. A few years back, probably over a decade now, I had a chance to visit a number of historical Civil War sites throughout the South and the border states. Part of this included seeing the site of The Battle of the Crater during the siege of Petersburg, which is shown briefly in the movie.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 7
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 2:57:34 AM   
durnedwolf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anachro

I've never seen it. That said, it certainly can't be worse than The Thin Red Line or Dunkirk, both which I watched lost year and thoroughly hated. As for my favorite WW2 movie...hmm...The Bridge on the River Kwai? Tora tora tora? Letters from Iwo Jima?

Not movies, but I enjoyed Band of Brothers and The Pacific HBO mini-series. Of the two, I actually thought The Pacific better in some ways.

Here's a taste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpQgy9DRshw&list=PLTDLqGVmjX5gnQQdEKvOAEEvCh8gUb7Wf

DW

I try to live by two words - tenacity and gratitude. Tenacity gets me where I want to go and gratitude ensures I'm not angry along the way. - Henry Winkler.

The great aim of education is not knowledge but action. - Herbert Spencer

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 8
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 2:59:41 AM   
Mikawa

Best ever

No negative vibes!

(in reply to durnedwolf)
Post #: 9
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 3:44:59 AM   
Anachro

quote:

ORIGINAL: durnedwolf
Here's a taste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpQgy9DRshw&list=PLTDLqGVmjX5gnQQdEKvOAEEvCh8gUb7Wf

I really need to see this now. Looks like quite a good family movie! Next time I'm back home for a vacation, I'll watch it with the old man.

(in reply to durnedwolf)
Post #: 10
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 4:06:37 AM   
Canoerebel

Kellys Heroes is actually worse than The Thin Red Line. That it manages to achieve that level of incompetence is a testament to Hollywood's knack for distorting history in ways that can make history lovers weep into their breakfast cereal. TMTSNBN: kaff, kaff.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 11
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 5:39:53 AM   
CaptBeefheart

CR: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

"Kelly's Heroes" is a bank heist flick loosely, and I mean "loosely," set in WW2. Since it's not meant to depict any certain battle, it beats a lot of what passes for "accurate" war flicks.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 12
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 9:07:22 AM   
Rising-Sun

Well there are some are my favorite, like In Harm's Way, Letters from Iwo Jima, Flags of our fathers, Yamato, Das Boot and Fury. And of course the funny Kelly's Heroes too.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 13
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 9:39:46 AM   
HansBolter

Greatest movie ever made, war movie or otherwise.

Maybe he's a Republican!

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 9/3/2018 12:30:32 PM >

Hans

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 14
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 9:53:12 AM   
LeeChard

+1 for Kelly's Heroes. I was a high school senior in 1970 and I loved that movie(I was probably in the proper state of mind
when I saw it)

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 15
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 9:57:59 AM   
Reg

Worth watching just for the theme song....

Unlike TMTSNBN this film has no pretensions of being a WWII movie!!

It's a 70's heist/comedy movie with more than a touch of 60's social commentary filmed in a surprisingly authentic WWII setting, pure and simple.

A lot of fun and should be treated as such....

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 16
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 10:03:12 AM   
Para87

Easily my favorite movie of all time. Pretty sure I could recite the dialogue backwards which is kinda sad I guess

First saw it aged about 8 when my sister's friend, not much of a friend either, inexplicably recorded it off TV and gave me the VHS tape. Needless to say that tape was soon wrecked.

I'll be humming 'Burning Bridges' for the rest of the day....

< Message edited by Para87 -- 9/3/2018 10:04:10 AM >

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 17
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 10:31:28 AM   
Trugrit

It is a great movie. I love it.

Trivia:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065938/trivia

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 18
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 11:09:24 AM   
AndyDuke

How come the Battle of Britain hasn't had a mention - best flying sequences in any film because all most all of the flying is real!!

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 19
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 11:17:50 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Kellys Heroes is actually worse than The Thin Red Line. That it manages to achieve that level of incompetence is a testament to Hollywood's knack for distorting history in ways that can make history lovers weep into their breakfast cereal. TMTSNBN: kaff, kaff.

A lot of movies are worse than The Thin Red Line, because it's that good!! A little philosophy to go with your disemboweling machine gun fire, Mr Roper?

The Thin Red Line is one of my Top Ten of all time. Beautifully shot, well acted by an all star cast, a complex and challenging script that makes us consider those who were just no prepared to go charging up a hill with a gun, no matter how compelling the reasons.

There is a reason all of those star actors took bit parts to be in a Terrence Malick film about the WW2 Pacific. It wasn't money.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 20
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 11:20:57 AM   
fcooke

Fury? really? maybe I didn't like it because of a certain lead actor.

Bataan, 12 o'clock high, Saving private Ryan, D-day, the Stalingrad sniper movie (forget the name).

And in the chips and beer category I must admit I loved the Baa Baa Black Sheep series....

(in reply to AndyDuke)
Post #: 21
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 11:25:34 AM   
fcooke

and Band of Brothers and the Pacific are top notch. I agree that the Pacific is slightly better - but that might because I have studied the Pacific war 'more' and therefore it resonates more.

Another like - Devil's Brigade.

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 22
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 11:56:03 AM   
ny59giants

Tora, Tora, Tora - despite having subtitles, still my favorite

Longest Day (colorized version) - the cast is great

There are plenty of others, but I picked one from each theater of war.

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 23
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 12:35:24 PM   
PaxMondo

Yeah, but Telly is in it … Who loves you baby!

Pax

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 24
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 1:57:10 PM   
Chickenboy

Nobody's mentioned A Bridge too Far or Midway? For what they were, and for when they were made they were well done.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 25
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 2:32:28 PM   
btd64

How about "Patton" with George C. Scott....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 26
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 2:54:32 PM   
Yaab

How about Come and See by Elem Klimov? The movie looks like something Tecumseh Sherman and Salvador Dali would have made with adequate time-travel technology.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 27
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 3:39:18 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

How about Come and See by Elem Klimov? The movie looks like something Tecumseh Sherman and Salvador Dali would have made with adequate time-travel technology.

Nah. It was an interesting piece with brutal cinematography. But non-mud-drenched character development was lacking. And the forced agape-mouth and forced wide-eyed stares of the protagonist wore thin too. The village scene in the end was very well done however. It was "OK" as a reaction piece, but not what I think of as a war movie, any more than 'Coming Home' or 'Born on the Fourth of July' were 'real' war movies.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 28
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 4:15:50 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: LeeChard

+1 for Kelly's Heroes. I was a high school senior in 1970 and I loved that movie(I was probably in the proper state of mind
when I saw it)

That movie was a tongue-in-cheek parody of bank heists and war movies that never intended to be serious about anything. Memorable characters and lines bring to mind "The Princess Bride" formula - it doesn't have to make sense as long as it is entertaining.

As for best actual war movies:
1. Letters from Iwo Jima - finally, a movie that humanizes the Japanese, especially the young soldiers who were terrified and poorly led by their junior officers.

2. Das Boot - downright claustrophobic, and it gave the crew real personalities and reactions to combat stress.

3. Stalingrad - the German version that showed not only the chaotic fighting but the breakdown of discipline and morale when the Russians succeeded in surrounding the 6th Army.

4. Stalingrad - the Russian version, focusing on a small unit holding one critical building and their German opponents trying to assault it. It shows civilians trapped in the cauldron trying to survive being caught between two forces that both want them to be loyal their side.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 29
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 4:25:53 PM   
MakeeLearn

"The film is based upon a true incident. The caper was covered in a book called “Nazi Gold: The Sensational Story of the World’s Greatest Robbery – and the Greatest Criminal Cover-Up” by Ian Sayer and Douglas Botting. The heist was perpetrated by a combination of renegade Nazi and American officers. It was also listed as the “biggest” robbery ever in the Guinness Book of Records, in the 1960’s."

32 things you didn’t know about Kelly’s Heroes –

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2015/12/31/43655/

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI