Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: All things Football (soccer) related

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  117 118 [119] 120 121   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/12/2018 7:25:11 PM   
zakblood

well i don't watch football tbh, but from what i hear from friends who do, we may have invented the game, like cricket etc, but we just aren't very good at it, in fact it seems everyone else is just well better, hungrier, fitter, more skillful and wan't to win more.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3541
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/12/2018 8:02:04 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

well i don't watch football tbh, but from what i hear from friends who do, we may have invented the game, like cricket etc, but we just aren't very good at it, in fact it seems everyone else is just well better, hungrier, fitter, more skillful and wan't to win more.
warspite1

I'd agree with better and more skilful but not the others.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 3542
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/12/2018 8:11:41 PM   
zakblood

i've not every watched a match in my life, so can't argue the finer points, just go by results, something we lack and have done for a long time now i'm sorry to say

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3543
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/13/2018 7:58:59 AM   
Piteas

Maybe in England and other leagues there is a lack of pressure on the players. I see that the english supporter forgives a lot if his team win the match, although the team didn´t fight hard. Many spanish players in english teams talk about this.
In Spain, if players don´t work hard in a game (losing is always acceptable, but you have to fight hard), local newspapers and televisions are very critical and attack players, the fans visit, insult and make jokes to players in training days, the next game is hell in the stadium ... the pressure is terrible on the players, but a pressure to fight hard, not to win. Your players must show effort and tenacity, "die on the grass" because they cost a lot of money. If you win, ok, party now, but the main idea is that the team has to show its commitment with the supporters. The win is secondary, a possible and welcome consequence.
This may explain that six of the last eight Champions Leagues and five of the last eight Europa Leagues have spanish champions (Barça, Real, Sevilla, Atlético).

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 3544
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/17/2018 8:09:40 AM   
shunwick

Bloody hell, we went away to Gateshead and actually beat them 1-0.

We won a game!

Finally!

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to Piteas)
Post #: 3545
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/18/2018 7:23:19 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

quote:

Another reason for Spurs fans to fear the future. Pochettino has met with the soon-to-be-managerless-Barcelona chairman......

It would be so Spurs to lose him to Barcelona. Lloris has admitted he may not stay at the club - but definitely won't if Poch goes.... and then the floodgates start to crack and open.

I hate football, I hate supporting Spurs.....

And don't you have a new stadium to get excited about?

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

No. I am a Tottenham fan, I don't do excited. Instead I am waiting for the project to go wrong. We'll probably use the wrong steel and within days of the grand opening the west stand will probably collapse in on itself.

Meanwhile, given our record at Wembley, we will almost certainly get relegated next year......

warspite1

Okay I got the cause of the problems wrong - I thought it would be dodgy metal but it appears its dodgy electrics - so instead of falling down, the stadium will burn to the ground.

I also got the year wrong - it is this year we will be relegated.

I hate football etc...

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 9/18/2018 7:28:13 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3546
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/19/2018 10:44:19 AM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Another reason for Spurs fans to fear the future. Pochettino has met with the soon-to-be-managerless-Barcelona chairman......

It would be so Spurs to lose him to Barcelona. Lloris has admitted he may not stay at the club - but definitely won't if Poch goes.... and then the floodgates start to crack and open.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

No. I am a Tottenham fan, I don't do excited. Instead I am waiting for the project to go wrong. We'll probably use the wrong steel and within days of the grand opening the west stand will probably collapse in on itself.

Meanwhile, given our record at Wembley, we will almost certainly get relegated next year......

warspite1

Okay I got the cause of the problems wrong - I thought it would be dodgy metal but it appears its dodgy electrics - so instead of falling down, the stadium will burn to the ground.

I hate football etc...

After a burst water main dumped half the Thames on the faulty wiring....

... I get the feeling that stadium might be....

..... cursed...

... the football team surely is....

... at least they are not cows... or they are cows... or they are the train... or... my head hurts...

Best wishes,
Steve

PS: Ok.. I think I've got it. This is what is going on at Spurs...

There's this cow, right, in a field. Only it's not a cow and it's not a field. Not entirely sure what the cow is at the moment, but please try to keep up.

Now the field is the football pitch, ok? So the cow is on the football pitch, which probably has loads of cowpats on it because of the faulty wiring and burst water mains...

Then there is a train passing by the football pitch which the cow sees but the cowpats don't because the cowpats know nothing about trains or train timetables....

Because if you ask a cowpat when the next train is... um... it's not going to say anything... Now the train is the Champion's League. And the train timetable is the fixture list....

The train passes by field and the cow sees it. But the cow, like the cowpats don't know it's the Champion's League....

To be fair, the train doesn't know much about the cow either but I don't think that's significant...

The railway tracks are the journalists...

… and they keep stepping in the cowpats...

So, the cow goes back to eating grass which is like the Premier League only from the railway tracks the grass looks suspiciously like the Championship...

And that's what's going on at Spurs...

I think the cow's name is Mauricio... or possibly warspite1... my head still hurts...

< Message edited by shunwick -- 9/19/2018 12:49:46 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3547
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/19/2018 7:30:16 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

warspite1

I hate football etc...

After a burst water main dumped half the Thames on the faulty wiring....

... I get the feeling that stadium might be....

..... cursed...

... the football team surely is....

... at least they are not cows... or they are cows... or they are the train... or... my head hurts...

Best wishes,
Steve

PS: Ok.. I think I've got it. This is what is going on at Spurs...

There's this cow, right, in a field. Only it's not a cow and it's not a field. Not entirely sure what the cow is at the moment, but please try to keep up.

Now the field is the football pitch, ok? So the cow is on the football pitch, which probably has loads of cowpats on it because of the faulty wiring and burst water mains...

Then there is a train passing by the football pitch which the cow sees but the cowpats don't because the cowpats know nothing about trains or train timetables....

Because if you ask a cowpat when the next train is... um... it's not going to say anything... Now the train is the Champion's League. And the train timetable is the fixture list....

The train passes by field and the cow sees it. But the cow, like the cowpats don't know it's the Champion's League....

To be fair, the train doesn't know much about the cow either but I don't think that's significant...

The railway tracks are the journalists...

… and they keep stepping in the cowpats...

So, the cow goes back to eating grass which is like the Premier League only from the railway tracks the grass looks suspiciously like the Championship...

And that's what's going on at Spurs...

I think the cow's name is Mauricio... or possibly warspite1... my head still hurts...
warspite1

They'll be singing this about Pochettino from the terraces at the weekend (to the tune of that wonderful ode to Rafa Benitez 'Fat Spanish Waiter') - **** Jean Jacques Liverot, you're just a **** Jean Jacques Liverot.....

And from the great man himself...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tyrr0xSnxY

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 9/19/2018 7:31:24 PM >

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3548
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/27/2018 7:36:18 PM   
Orm

Football is a wonderful thing.

Thank you to those who created the game.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3549
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/27/2018 7:40:01 PM   
warspite1

Allow me to explain young Ormster. No. It. Isn't.

But may one detect from your childishly naive view of football that there was a win for AIK per chance?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3550
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/27/2018 7:43:48 PM   
Orm

Yes, there was a win today. And there has been wins pretty much the entire season. Only one loss so far. 6 points ahead with 7 (I think) matches left of the season.

And the last Sunday we beat the local rivals that was in second place in the table. Almost 50.000 spectators at the stadium. Record for AIK.

As I said. Football was a wonderful invention. Thank you.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3551
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/27/2018 7:46:16 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Yes, there was a win today. And there has been wins pretty much the entire season. Only one loss so far. 6 points ahead with 7 (I think) matches left of the season.

And the last Sunday we beat the local rivals that was in second place in the table. Almost 50.000 spectators at the stadium. Record for AIK.

As I said. Football was a wonderful invention. Thank you.
warspite1

Well I have my fingers crossed for you and AIK in the remaining games . I can only dream what a league championship win feels like

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3552
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/27/2018 9:49:51 PM   
shunwick

quote:

I can only dream what a league championship win feels like

I can only dream what a win feels like...

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3553
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/30/2018 3:43:41 PM   
Orm

Football is a glorious thing. The perfect sport.

So if one is prone to pondering one could ask oneself if football was creatively engineered by a single entity, and was perfect once created. Or if evolution eventually turned the game into perfection.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3554
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/30/2018 4:52:23 PM   
warspite1

The essential game was perfect from the word go. Sure it needed refinement and modifications to bring the game up to the one we now know and love (or hate, as its a stupid game) but the basic concept was perfect and so it's status as the world game is easy to understand.

Not too technical, easy to understand, can be played anywhere, with any size ball, on any sized pitch and using just jumpers for goal posts, rush goalie....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NeRoSFZWbs

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 9/30/2018 4:53:27 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3555
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/2/2018 8:21:01 AM   
Orm

quote:

The essential game was perfect from the word go. Sure it needed refinement and modifications to bring the game up to the one we now know and love (or hate, as its a stupid game) but the basic concept was perfect and so it's status as the world game is easy to understand.

Not too technical, easy to understand, can be played anywhere, with any size ball, on any sized pitch and using just jumpers for goal posts, rush goalie....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NeRoSFZWbs

A slow evolving thing then, since we had to invent jumpers to play football.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3556
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/2/2018 8:23:02 AM   
Orm

How to celebrate a goal?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6229003/Kennedy-Bakircioglu-nets-stunning-free-kick-catching-beer-thrown-crowd-DRINKING-IT.html

Edit: A link to youtube with the event, both the goal and the beer catching. Although it is hard to spot until it is shown in slow motion towards the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoJZEM0EQb0

< Message edited by Orm -- 10/2/2018 8:53:57 AM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3557
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/3/2018 5:57:56 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

How to celebrate a goal?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6229003/Kennedy-Bakircioglu-nets-stunning-free-kick-catching-beer-thrown-crowd-DRINKING-IT.html

Edit: A link to youtube with the event, both the goal and the beer catching. Although it is hard to spot until it is shown in slow motion towards the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoJZEM0EQb0
warspite1

Not sure I would drink something thrown from the crowd.....

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3558
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/3/2018 5:58:57 PM   
warspite1

I really hate stoooopid football*

* I thought I might as well get that in early.....

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3559
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/3/2018 8:57:33 PM   
loki100

quote:

yep

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3560
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/4/2018 5:48:53 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

quote:

yep
warspite1

The gulf in class, technical ability, tactics... it's really quite shocking. If Sissoko is still a Spurs player next year I'm supporting someone else.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3561
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/6/2018 8:37:53 PM   
warspite1

Sweet!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6243223/Tottenham-ball-boy-stunned-Lionel-Messi-handshake.html

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3562
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/6/2018 9:15:46 PM   
shunwick

In the immortal words of Foul Ole Ron,

Buggrit, Millennium Hand and Shrimp...

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 10/6/2018 9:17:59 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3563
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/10/2018 7:29:42 PM   
Orm

quote:

Sweet!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6243223/Tottenham-ball-boy-stunned-Lionel-Messi-handshake.html

Que?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3564
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/11/2018 7:46:49 PM   
warspite1

The look of sheer joy and shock that comes from shaking hands with one of the greatest footballers of all time.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3565
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/12/2018 4:45:36 PM   
Orm

quote:

The look of sheer joy and shock that comes from shaking hands with one of the greatest footballers of all time.

Thank you for the clarification. Now I understand.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3566
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/13/2018 10:42:26 AM   
bazjak

Football is boring without supporters
As it proved last night
The match between Croatia and England was played in an empty stadium
Croatia was punished for letting some idiots put a political symbol on there pitch so got punished
I turned over and watched something else as it was so quiet All you could hear was the commentator and the guys on the bench shouting
Just goes to prove that without the fans (and that applies to any sport )all these so called supperstars wouldnt be in employment getting silly wages by fleecing the fans
And the TV would not bye the rights to show the games yet fleecing the punters yet again so they can watch there team on TV

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3567
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/13/2018 11:14:08 AM   
Orm

You said it.

(in reply to bazjak)
Post #: 3568
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/13/2018 11:19:19 AM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: bazjak
Football is boring without supporters

With hysterical commentators or really noisy public (ie vuvuzelas from hell) I always mute TV.

I found out long time ago that silence is better to grasp what's going on in the pitch. So I might live without the plebs (panem et circenses). And I went to football stadiums circa a dozen times. I know what it's like a football cathedral. A totally different experience er panem et circenses. Where's the replay lol

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to bazjak)
Post #: 3569
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/19/2018 8:28:00 PM   
warspite1

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6294277/Leyton-Orient-unveil-stunning-fourth-kit-red-chevron-nod-clubs-role-World-War-I.html

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 3570
Page:   <<   < prev  117 118 [119] 120 121   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  117 118 [119] 120 121   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI