Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

should I BUY Flashpoint Campaigns or TOAW IV? (and why?)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> should I BUY Flashpoint Campaigns or TOAW IV? (and why?) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
should I BUY Flashpoint Campaigns or TOAW IV? (and why?) - 10/27/2018 3:01:17 AM   
maxb

Trying to choose between these two. I just want to see what people here who have played either one for a long time have to say with how much enjoyment they've had with the game, and what kind of experiences they've had.

I really want something rewarding, if you know what I mean. I want fun, but I want rewarding fun that might teach me a little something about strategy. These are the two games I've narrowed down to being my best options, honestly. I hope someone can give me advice.
Post #: 1
RE: should I BUY Flashpoint Campaigns or TOAW IV? (and ... - 10/27/2018 3:16:36 AM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: maxb

Trying to choose between these two. I just want to see what people here who have played either one for a long time have to say with how much enjoyment they've had with the game, and what kind of experiences they've had.

I really want something rewarding, if you know what I mean. I want fun, but I want rewarding fun that might teach me a little something about strategy. These are the two games I've narrowed down to being my best options, honestly. I hope someone can give me advice.

Doesn't Flashpoint concentrate on one time period and just a couple of nations? Kind of a narrow focus.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to maxb)
Post #: 2
RE: should I BUY Flashpoint Campaigns or TOAW IV? (and ... - 10/27/2018 3:34:36 AM   
maxb

it's a hard choice, believe me. Flashpoint is so god damn fun to play and I'll be sad not to experience more scenarios in it but 50 is just too steep.

OAW seems to cover more situations and a more broad strategic approach which is good. was hoping for someone to attempt to hard sell me on one or the other because I'm ultimately just a sheep looking for a herder

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 3
RE: should I BUY Flashpoint Campaigns or TOAW IV? (and ... - 10/27/2018 3:45:13 AM   
Rosseau

I know it's hard to wait, but if you can hang on until the Christmas sale, both titles should be at least 25% off.

(in reply to maxb)
Post #: 4
RE: should I BUY Flashpoint Campaigns or TOAW IV? (and ... - 10/27/2018 3:47:42 AM   
maxb

Matrix prices are justifiably high. I think these games are worth the money but I just don't know if I can really justify it in my current place. I am ready and willing to spend 40-50 bucks if I can think of a good reason to invest in this. I really want to learn strategy and tactics, and general gamesmanship in terms of achieving tactical as well as grand strategic victories. I think these games are the best way to learn that in a general sense, in terms especially of thinking of war situations.

OAW is just brilliant in terms of modeling a generalized large scale conflict. In terms of a more territorial dispute.

FC is brilliant in terms of modeling commanding a tactical combat situation. I like how you don't directly control units and it simulates a real scenario. It honestly feels like what I would think it feels like commanding mass troops entering into battle. That's just genius, really. I haven't seen anything like that where it really feels that way, even though it's not perfect and still is kind of like a board game, aesthetically. But I actually like that, because it keeps the factors well contained and managed. The problem I foresee with FC is that I just don't really get how it compares with TOAW in terms of tactical and strategic depth of gameplay. You only really can do so much... Then again I'm only 30 years old as opposed to 50 so I don't have as much expendable time that OAW seems to expect from the player.

which actually makes me think, most generals and commanders tend to be older men. which is interesting because it seems to suggest that you inherently become more strategically aware as an older person, 50 being the golden age for a commander. i don't know much about history but from what I have read, that seems to be the average age for the most committed wargamer contingent.

can't say why I am so drawn to this style of game right now. I came here from grand strategy, like Victoria and EU4. I just think the more pure wargame style stuff is more direct in terms of actually modeling the core aspects of those games.

(in reply to maxb)
Post #: 5
RE: should I BUY Flashpoint Campaigns or TOAW IV? (and ... - 10/27/2018 10:45:34 AM   
Hexagon

Flashpoint is a single scale in a specific period limited to certain nations, TOAW is one of the few "construcction set" style games and you can have all you imagine... both are very good on their style but depends what you want.

My recomendation, wait to holidays special and maybe you can buy both, last holidays you could buy Flashpoint+expansion for 25€... i imagine TOAW is going to receive to a discount (1 year from release) and with heavy discount in FP and even a small one in TOAW... you can add both to your collection.

(in reply to maxb)
Post #: 6
RE: should I BUY Flashpoint Campaigns or TOAW IV? (and ... - 10/27/2018 12:03:00 PM   
nelmsm1

I'm playing a Flashpoint Campaign Red Storm campaign right now and I find myself with that "just one more turn" and then I'll go to bed feeling that I just don't get from TOAW. I've also played a lot of TOAW and there are a ton of scenarios out there to play but I just don't find myself immersed in pushing those counters around as I do in FCRS

(in reply to Hexagon)
Post #: 7
RE: should I BUY Flashpoint Campaigns or TOAW IV? (and ... - 10/27/2018 12:24:57 PM   
rico21

I do not like operational games in general because they are too time consuming and not nervous enough in the fighting.
It took me 5 days for the first scenario of Flashpoint Campaigns, 5 days of happiness.

(in reply to maxb)
Post #: 8
RE: should I BUY Flashpoint Campaigns or TOAW IV? (and ... - 10/27/2018 1:40:35 PM   
Red2112

FCRS or wait for holidays sales and get both.

Why, because FCRS is great!

Red

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 9
RE: should I BUY Flashpoint Campaigns or TOAW IV? (and ... - 10/27/2018 2:05:25 PM   
rocketman71

I think there is a Steam sale starting Monday (Halloween sale).
I have both games and like them both for what they are. But I have to say that FC's engine is one of the best out there. The WEGO combination with hex based not too overwhelming amount of units mix is great. I'm not really into that time frame but still like it. TOAW is more complex to get to grips with, especially how to manage turns. Also the UI is not that great so it takes time to get used to. I wish it was more like WITE.

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 10
RE: should I BUY Flashpoint Campaigns or TOAW IV? (and ... - 10/27/2018 2:20:10 PM   
zakblood

i'd grab both, as both are worth the time and effort, so if money is tight now, grab one now and wait until you can afford the other, simple

(in reply to rocketman71)
Post #: 11
RE: should I BUY Flashpoint Campaigns or TOAW IV? (and ... - 10/27/2018 2:29:58 PM   
nukkxx5058

Very different games. I love FCRS so I would recommend it.

- But you will be limited to a single conflict (but a good amount of maps/scenarios). TOAW covers all periods/theaters and ranges from small tactical maps to massive games like the eastern front (500 turns games with zillions of units).

- And the game mechanics is completely different (WEGO for FCRS as compared to IGOUGO in TOAW).

However, I vote for FCRS.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 12
RE: should I BUY Flashpoint Campaigns or TOAW IV? (and ... - 10/27/2018 5:25:58 PM   
Lobster

Probably best if you listened to someone who had both.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 13
RE: should I BUY Flashpoint Campaigns or TOAW IV? (and ... - 10/27/2018 6:18:10 PM   
rwenstrup

Excellent games ... have both. Flashpoint Campaigns is a better game in my opinion ... love the way it plays out, one of the best wargames in my opinion. Toaw has a ton of scenarios, so it has a lot of replayability, but if I had to pick one, I would pick Flashpoint Campaigns ...

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 14
RE: should I BUY Flashpoint Campaigns or TOAW IV? (and ... - 10/27/2018 6:37:42 PM   
OldSarge

Certainly, both are great titles and you won't go wrong either way. It really comes down to what
do you like in a game?

As others have pointed out, the holiday sales period is approaching. You may find that both games
are discounted so that the price allows you to have both!

You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5

(in reply to rwenstrup)
Post #: 15
RE: should I BUY Flashpoint Campaigns or TOAW IV? (and ... - 10/27/2018 9:28:23 PM   
maxb

I caved and got Flashpoint. I could wait to see if there is a sale monday or whatever but ... oh well.

Glad I did, it's really excellent. Now I just need to actually learn the details. Played the Tutorial and honestly I was completely shocked when my troops dwindled to <30% of the starting number. I was holding all four of the objective territories and I was convinced I was WHOOPING butt.

I was completely wrong. . .

(in reply to OldSarge)
Post #: 16
RE: should I BUY Flashpoint Campaigns or TOAW IV? (and ... - 10/27/2018 9:54:14 PM   
nukkxx5058

quote:

I caved and got Flashpoint. I could wait to see if there is a sale monday or whatever but ... oh well.

Glad I did, it's really excellent. Now I just need to actually learn the details. Played the Tutorial and honestly I was completely shocked when my troops dwindled to <30% of the starting number. I was holding all four of the objective territories and I was convinced I was WHOOPING butt.

Good choice ! Glad you like it ! :-)

(in reply to maxb)
Post #: 17
RE: should I BUY Flashpoint Campaigns or TOAW IV? (and ... - 10/27/2018 10:25:35 PM   
JReb

quote:

One of the toughest AIs I ever played against.

My shrink says I have anger management and conflict resolution issues....and I'LL FIGHT ANYBODY THAT DISAGREES!

(in reply to maxb)
Post #: 18
RE: should I BUY Flashpoint Campaigns or TOAW IV? (and ... - 10/27/2018 10:30:55 PM   
OldSarge

quote:

Congratulations! It is an excellent game with a respectable AI and a number of advanced options (like limited orders) to make it even more challenging. I've had it since it was released and find that it is also very replayable.

Have fun!

You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5

(in reply to maxb)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> should I BUY Flashpoint Campaigns or TOAW IV? (and why?) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI