Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The French-Algerian War 1954-1962 | They bled in the Bled

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 >> Mods and Scenarios >> The French-Algerian War 1954-1962 | They bled in the Bled Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The French-Algerian War 1954-1962 | They bled in the Bled - 5/17/2018 5:22:24 PM   
Oberst_Klink

OK peeps, here we go.

Let's all brainstorm, exchange ideas, share references material and hopefully we can, as a team effort, put together some interesting scenarios about this rather unknown/forgotten conflict.

I am at the moment working on Bouzegza 1957; I got thh map (merci Christophe!), but still reading various reference material in order to get it right (or as close as possible).

The possible scenarios won't appeal to the tank warfare fanboys/-girls... but to those who are interested in small wars, the 1st real use of helicopters (yes, it was the French!) in deploying troops and supplies to the area(s) of operation. You can read up on it while browsing my blog (sorry, I had to mention it).

So, any more takers on this?

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Post #: 1
RE: The French-Algerian War 1954-1962 | They bled in th... - 5/17/2018 7:53:02 PM   
berto

Remember that CSME doesn't have a truly functional offensive helo AI. (We are developing one for CSVN, for future retrofit onto CSME.) So any scenarios you create with helos in them will require a human player to play the helo-armed French side, whether vs. the Algerian AI or in H2H play (PBEM etc.). In other words, for such scenarios, no French AI play. It would not quite work!

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 2
RE: The French-Algerian War 1954-1962 | They bled in th... - 5/17/2018 8:05:03 PM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: berto

Remember that CSME doesn't have a truly functional offensive helo AI. (We are developing one for CSVN, for future retrofit onto CSME.) So any scenarios you create with helos in them will require a human player to play the helo-armed French side, whether vs. the Algerian AI or in H2H play (PBEM etc.). In other words, for such scenarios, no French AI play. It would not quite work!

Do not worry, HAL. I'll ensure I will point this out at the scenario description, e.g. H2H, Side A vs. AI, Side B vs. AI... First, I need to get a reply from the French Army about my request to get unclassified combat reports to create the scenarios in the 1st place.

Klink, Oberst

< Message edited by Oberst_Klink -- 5/17/2018 8:14:58 PM >

My Blog & on Twitter.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 3
RE: The French-Algerian War 1954-1962 | They bled in th... - 5/24/2018 2:36:29 PM   
Oberst_Klink

It arrived! Now I gotta skim/read thru 560 pages...

Klink, Oberst

Attachment (1)

My Blog & on Twitter.

Post #: 4
RE: The French-Algerian War 1954-1962 | They bled in th... - 5/25/2018 6:37:58 AM   
Andrea G

Good read!

Post #: 5
RE: The French-Algerian War 1954-1962 | They bled in th... - 5/25/2018 2:08:39 PM   
Oberst_Klink

Still working out some tiny little details for the 1st scenario. Worst case is, I have to state it's semi-historical, so what... ;)

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.

(in reply to Andrea G)
Post #: 6
RE: The French-Algerian War 1954-1962 | They bled in th... - 5/26/2018 4:45:51 AM   
SIPRES

Hallo Herr Oberst,

Do you get any detailled map/OOb included in the book?
If you wish I will prepare another map for "next" scenario (just tell me wich area you would like)

Christophe

Post #: 7
RE: The French-Algerian War 1954-1962 | They bled in th... - 5/26/2018 9:10:51 AM   
Oberst_Klink

Christophe

The book focuses on the conflict in general, political, social, and of course military aspects. The general French OOB is no problem at all, the same for the various area commanders of the FLN/ALN. Getting battle reports is the tricky thing. As for another map, if you got the time, have a look at this battle. This was more of a bigger confrontation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Agounennda

EDIT: I found most of it now... Silly me. It's in all those documents I posted on the blog!

https://hauptkampflinie.blogspot.de/2018/02/french-ground-force-organisation.html
https://hauptkampflinie.blogspot.de/2018/04/the-first-helicopter-war-campaign.html

Klink, Oberst

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Oberst_Klink -- 5/26/2018 1:34:59 PM >

My Blog & on Twitter.

(in reply to SIPRES)
Post #: 8
RE: The French-Algerian War 1954-1962 | They bled in th... - 6/7/2018 11:53:35 AM   
Eagle-FZS

Since last week, I've also bought CSME. After creating some scenarios and LCGs for TCS and JTCS, I also ventured into CSME with a small scenario. At the request of Mr. Klink I started the research of the Algerian war. Unfortunately, the information is rather little so that it is difficult to create extensive scenarios.
When creating I noticed that for the Algeria war only a few units are available in the Gameorg which makes an adjustment of the oob's advisable to create the scenarios as realistic as possible. Whether it is Oberst_Klink or I or another will show up
My scenario is based on a report by Captain D. Galula, then Commander of the 3rd Company of the 45th B.I.C.

Operation Oued Stita

August 1, 1956, Oued Stita Valley, Algeria, After the insurrection of Ait Aissa Mimoun led by leader Mohamed et Ali Oudiai has led to several attacks on French soldiers and riots in the population. Lt-Col. Lemoine units into the Oued Stita valley to bring him and his fellaghas to the track.
When taking the rebel camp found no trace of Mohamed et Ali Oudiai who has found a way to settle with some insurgents.

Download

Since I am from Germany, I also have a version with a German description

1.August 1956, Oued Stita Tal, Algerien, Nachdem die l’insurrection à Ait Aissa Mimoun von Anführer Mohamed et Ali Oudiai mehrere Anschläge gegen französische Soldaten durchgeführt hat und in der Bevölkerung für Unruhen sorgte entsante Lt. Col. Lemoine Einheiten in das Oued Stita Tal um ihn und seine Fellaghas zur Strecke zu bringen.
Bei Einnahme des Rebellenlagers fand man keine Spur von Mohamed et Ali Oudiai der einen Weg gefunden hat sich mit einigen Aufständischen abzusetzen.

Download

< Message edited by Eagle-FZS -- 6/7/2018 12:19:31 PM >

Dirk Wodrich

Post #: 9
RE: The French-Algerian War 1954-1962 | They bled in th... - 6/7/2018 2:49:54 PM   
Oberst_Klink

Here's the recommended reading about Cpt. D. Galula.

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.

(in reply to Eagle-FZS)
Post #: 10
RE: The French-Algerian War 1954-1962 | They bled in th... - 6/8/2018 4:45:09 PM   
Crossroads

Great work!

I added a pointer to your scenario to the Community Scenarios Table of Contents post

Post #: 11
RE: The French-Algerian War 1954-1962 | They bled in th... - 6/11/2018 8:17:06 AM   
Eagle-FZS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

Great work!

I added a pointer to your scenario to the Community Scenarios Table of Contents post

Thanks ^^

Creating a structure for the Algerian war is difficult because the French troops were regrouped and renamed several times during this period. Some sources have used labels over their validity period which makes everything contradictory

Example:
29e régiment de tirailleurs algériens R.T.A. (vor 1956)
29e bataillon de tirailleurs algériens B.T.A. (February 1956)
29e bataillon de tirailleurs B.T. (November 1958)
29e régiment de tirailleurs R.T. (November 1959)

Dirk Wodrich

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 12
RE: The French-Algerian War 1954-1962 | They bled in th... - 6/11/2018 4:41:00 PM   
Oberst_Klink

Klasse! I do salute you! The project IMHO is just perfect for the new CSME. Algeria was a bloody and vicious de-colonization struggle, but also so interesting in many ways!

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.

(in reply to Eagle-FZS)
Post #: 13
RE: The French-Algerian War 1954-1962 | They bled in th... - 6/11/2018 6:10:10 PM   
Crossroads

Absolutely! Looking for more scenarios please

Post #: 14
RE: The French-Algerian War 1954-1962 | They bled in th... - 6/12/2018 1:07:40 PM   
Oberst_Klink

I small but challenging scenario! The FLN really gave me a good fight; very aggressive bunch. Victory conditions me might have to tweak a bit, I think David wrote an article about how to calculate them. Adding a jeep or the Btl.HQ. wouldn't do any harm, but not a big deal. If only I get into the CSEE and the .lua.
@FZS-Eagle - Gute Arbeit!

Klink, Oberst

Attachment (1)

My Blog & on Twitter.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 15
RE: The French-Algerian War 1954-1962 | They bled in th... - 6/12/2018 1:10:05 PM   
Oberst_Klink

Here's the zipped .BTL file.

Klink, Oberst

Attachment (1)

My Blog & on Twitter.

Post #: 16
RE: The French-Algerian War 1954-1962 | They bled in th... - 6/12/2018 2:07:22 PM   
Eagle-FZS

I once started putting together a structure of the French forces in the Algerian war. If anyone wants to add something to my remarks then post it here.
Here is a list of the Corps d'Armée d'Oran

Dirk Wodrich

Post #: 17
RE: The French-Algerian War 1954-1962 | They bled in th... - 6/12/2018 2:25:01 PM   
Oberst_Klink

Outstanding! You did get all the documents I posted on the blog, ja? The general OOB I found on Wiki, but only the Divisions and Regiments. Where did you dig up the detailed OOB? I guess it's time to #Tweet and blog about them.

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.

(in reply to Eagle-FZS)
Post #: 18
RE: The French-Algerian War 1954-1962 | They bled in th... - 6/12/2018 2:25:47 PM   
Jason Petho

If you identify platoons that you would like incorporated into the order of battles officially, let me know and I can do that for you.

Post #: 19
RE: The French-Algerian War 1954-1962 | They bled in th... - 6/12/2018 4:12:56 PM   
Eagle-FZS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink

Outstanding! You did get all the documents I posted on the blog, ja? The general OOB I found on Wiki, but only the Divisions and Regiments. Where did you dig up the detailed OOB? I guess it's time to #Tweet and blog about them.

Klink, Oberst

I am still working on Corps d'Armée d'Alger, Corps d'Armée de Constantine, Réserves Générales and Commandment Interarmees au Sahara

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

If you identify platoons that you would like incorporated into the order of battles officially, let me know and I can do that for you.

Yes I'll let you know as soon as I find something

Dirk Wodrich

Post #: 20
RE: The French-Algerian War 1954-1962 | They bled in th... - 6/13/2018 12:44:22 PM   
Eagle-FZS

Here from the Corps d'Armée d'Alger the zone Nord Algérois and zone Sud Algérois

Dirk Wodrich

(in reply to Eagle-FZS)
Post #: 21
RE: The French-Algerian War 1954-1962 | They bled in th... - 6/14/2018 8:33:43 AM   
Eagle-FZS

Zone Est Algérois and Zone Ouest Algérois

Dirk Wodrich

(in reply to Eagle-FZS)
Post #: 22
RE: The French-Algerian War 1954-1962 | They bled in th... - 6/17/2018 1:36:53 PM   
Eagle-FZS

I have completely inserted everything into a .doc file.
The allocations are not correct for the entire period as there were many transfers across zones. This list should only be a basis.
I will now create some missing sections in CSME and send them to Mr. Petho to be part of the next update

AlgerienWar OOB

Dirk Wodrich

(in reply to Eagle-FZS)
Post #: 23
RE: The French-Algerian War 1954-1962 | They bled in th... - 6/17/2018 3:23:29 PM   
Jason Petho

That's fantastic! Thank you!

(in reply to Eagle-FZS)
Post #: 24
RE: The French-Algerian War 1954-1962 | They bled in th... - 6/18/2018 11:39:34 AM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eagle-FZS

I have completely inserted everything into a .doc file.
The allocations are not correct for the entire period as there were many transfers across zones. This list should only be a basis.
I will now create some missing sections in CSME and send them to Mr. Petho to be part of the next update

AlgerienWar OOB

Fantastisch! Bloody marvellous, thanks!

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.

(in reply to Eagle-FZS)
Post #: 25
RE: The French-Algerian War 1954-1962 | They bled in th... - 6/26/2018 8:31:57 AM   
Eagle-FZS

Here is a small scenario "Ambush at Djerrah"

The ambush of Palestro, or ambush of Djerrah, is a military engagement that takes place on May 18, 1956 during the Algerian war near the village of Djerrah in the Palestro region (now Lakhdaria) in Kabylia. A commando of about 40 members of the National Liberation Army (NLA), led by Lieutenant Ali Khodja, destroyed a patrol of twenty-one men of the 9th R.I.C. under the command of Lieutenant Hervé Artur. At the scene of the ambush were found 16 dead French soldiers and one survivor. Of the remaining 4 soldiers lacked any trace. In the face of this serious situation, General Massu alerted several units. Among them paratroopers of the 4 / 13e R.D.P. with 4 helicopters, experienced people who are used to this type of operation. As soon as they hit the ground, the paratroopers began searching for the missing.

Download

Dirk Wodrich

Post #: 26
RE: The French-Algerian War 1954-1962 | They bled in th... - 10/28/2018 8:36:21 AM   
Legionaer

Hallo Dirk,

schön das du auch hier bei Matrix bist. Sehr schöne Arbeit, wusste gar nicht das du auch in dieser Region (Spieletechnisch) aktiv bist.

Wenn du Zeit und Lust für ein ME-Szenario hast ...

Gruß
Stefan

I create and revise: OoB´s, ToE´s, Weapon Values for Modern Wars (forever CWE!) Working on OoB´s for the new CSCW and scenario playtesting for the Beta Brigade.

(in reply to Eagle-FZS)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 >> Mods and Scenarios >> The French-Algerian War 1954-1962 | They bled in the Bled Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI