Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

JTS Battles of North Africa 1941

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> JTS Battles of North Africa 1941 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
JTS Battles of North Africa 1941 - 11/24/2018 11:23:04 AM   
Yogi the Great

Game has now been released - I see this was reported on the earlier thread but didn't notice until after I posted this.

The campaign in North Africa was the primary focus of both Italy and the British Empire in the first half of World War Two. Mussolini believed this was to be the opportunity to prove the Italian value to the Axis alliance. For the British, it was the first time that they began to make progress on land after the ignominious withdrawal from France. Coupled with the strategic victory in the air during the Battle of Britain, the success in Operation Compass in December 1940 strengthened morale across the British Commonwealth.

Both sides had significant constraints; the British were recovering from their strategic defeat in France, the Italians were struggling to support the war effort with an underdeveloped economy while the Germans were focused on the launching of the invasion of Russia (Unternehmen Barbarossa) in June 1941.

The desert though was to be the ultimate victor. The logistical requirements to support an army in extended operations was to prove beyond the ability of either side and the 1941 engagements were to be marked by theater wide advances and retreats multiple times.

This third release in the Panzer Battles franchise is focused on many of the large and small battles that occurred in eastern Libya and western Egypt as well as Greece. It is a departure from the more static battles of the earlier titles and maneuver engagements are much more prevalent.

< Message edited by Yogi the Great -- 11/24/2018 11:27:22 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: JTS Battles of North Africa 1941 - 11/24/2018 2:45:27 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

Game has now been released - I see this was reported on the earlier thread but didn't notice until after I posted this.

The campaign in North Africa was the primary focus of both Italy and the British Empire in the first half of World War Two. Mussolini believed this was to be the opportunity to prove the Italian value to the Axis alliance. For the British, it was the first time that they began to make progress on land after the ignominious withdrawal from France. Coupled with the strategic victory in the air during the Battle of Britain, the success in Operation Compass in December 1940 strengthened morale across the British Commonwealth.

Both sides had significant constraints; the British were recovering from their strategic defeat in France, the Italians were struggling to support the war effort with an underdeveloped economy while the Germans were focused on the launching of the invasion of Russia (Unternehmen Barbarossa) in June 1941.

The desert though was to be the ultimate victor. The logistical requirements to support an army in extended operations was to prove beyond the ability of either side and the 1941 engagements were to be marked by theater wide advances and retreats multiple times.

This third release in the Panzer Battles franchise is focused on many of the large and small battles that occurred in eastern Libya and western Egypt as well as Greece. It is a departure from the more static battles of the earlier titles and maneuver engagements are much more prevalent.

I am sure this is very good at the land battles; but it's hard to represent logistics in North Africa without including air/sea elements. Someone (I forget who) compared the war in North Africa to a sea campaign.

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 2
RE: JTS Battles of North Africa 1941 - 11/25/2018 3:41:25 AM   
Rosseau

Was watching my addiction, but fell off the wagon on this one and Armored Brigade. AB had a coupon but would have paid full price in a minute. Great game so far.

My twisted rationale was this: Tobruk '41 and EL Al don't do it for me like Panzer Battles' system; got Matrix Desert War but haven't been able to figure it out yet; I couldn't find a book at any price that had the details this game provides.

I hope they do well though, and would be interested in any comments on how the system models desert war. Kind of funny that the new objective options are so huge - they are - but in any other game it would be no big deal. In a Tiller game, we take any new programming we can get

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3
RE: JTS Battles of North Africa 1941 - 12/1/2018 9:05:04 AM   
HeinzBaby

I've just downloaded this and glad to say JTS Battles of North Africa 1941 does it for me!
Just scratching the surface and playing through the 'getting started senario' a couple of times to get back into the grove and find out what's what after the long wait.
There are a ton of Senarios to pick from and there looks like a few Campaigns but they may be just a string of related battles collected together,
but don't quote me, I'm not there Yet.

After sellecting a senario, the Options menu pops up which I'm glad has been fleshed out from the previous Demo, to name a few :
Optional Surrender, Low Visibility Air Effects, Programmed Weather, Limited Air Recon, No Low Fuel Effects, Optional Fire / Assault Results, Higher Fatigue Recovery,
Indirect Fire & Air Strikes by map and Counterbattery Fire.
So you can see these aren't just slugfests in the desert but other forces come into effect as well.

Love the Graphics, three Unit variations to select, side view and Sound effects are excellent, as I've said before,
I really feel the sun on my back and sand in my hair.
Perfect release for the Long Hot Summer down under.

Heia Safari

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 4
RE: JTS Battles of North Africa 1941 - 12/1/2018 9:54:54 AM   
Strelaoz

Hi HeinzBaby,

Glad you like the game! I’m responsible for many of the scenarios so please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We’re very happy how the game has turned out and your response is echoing the general feedback we have been getting.

Thanks,

David

Ps I’m a fellow Aussie but living up in Singapore...

(in reply to HeinzBaby)
Post #: 5
RE: JTS Battles of North Africa 1941 - 12/1/2018 10:07:35 AM   
zakblood

please can you stop talking about the weather, it's winter in the UK, so cold, wet and damp, well not much different tbh that most of the year tbh

lol

(in reply to Strelaoz)
Post #: 6
RE: JTS Battles of North Africa 1941 - 12/1/2018 2:46:28 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

please can you stop talking about the weather, it's winter in the UK, so cold, wet and damp, well not much different tbh that most of the year tbh

lol

Simulating UK weather would be a breeze.

Shakespeare in Henry V has the French Marshall say, "Is their climate not foggy, raw, and damp?".

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 7
RE: JTS Battles of North Africa 1941 - 12/3/2018 2:40:00 AM   
IslandInland

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

it's winter in the UK, so cold, wet and damp, well not much different tbh that most of the year tbh

lol

Not during the most recent summer. It was really hot in the UK and it didn't rain for weeks on end.

War In The East 2 Beta Tester and
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester
XXXCorps

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> JTS Battles of North Africa 1941 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI