Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  87 88 [89] 90 91   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/14/2018 4:46:35 PM   
zakblood

another week away, so as normal, more than a few books read, here's this weeks new recommended reads

Karen Miller's

King maker, King breaker book one,... the Innocent Mage

King maker, King breaker book two,... the Awakened Mage

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2641
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/16/2018 10:59:57 AM   
zakblood

this weeks books, for another trip away,

are Simon Scarrow's The Eagle Series,...

6 books in the set,

with the Roman army as the theme, tbh there's not many who write as well or better. or so says Bernard Cornwell, someone else who writes many a good book

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 2642
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/16/2018 2:00:07 PM   
Red2112

Operation Barbarrosa by Christer Bergstrom...
https://www.bookdepository.com/Operation-Barbarossa-1941-Christer-Bergstrom/9781612004013

Red

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 2643
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/16/2018 6:54:13 PM   
wodin

The Grey Bastards by J French

First book in what will be a series.

Easy the best fantasy book I've read for many years of not one of the best full stop.

The Grey Bastards are a half orcs clan. Think Sons of Anarchy and instead of bikers on choppers we have half orcs on giant hogs.

Loved it!

I actually listened to the audible version which is something's my I'm really getting into.

Either way will be a great read as well as listen!

Also a book called The name of the Wind by P Rothfuss is worth checking out aswell.

< Message edited by wodin -- 10/16/2018 6:58:01 PM >

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 2644
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/16/2018 9:44:55 PM   
redcoat

Wellington’s Guns: The untold story of Wellington and his artillery in the Peninsula and at Waterloo.
I can recommend it to anyone interested in the Peninsular War and Waterloo campaign.

“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2645
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/17/2018 9:35:53 AM   
zakblood

Cornelius Ryan, A Bridge Too Far

as it's my favorite battle, i thought why not when i saw the book in the charity shop for 50p

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 10/17/2018 9:36:15 AM >

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 2646
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/17/2018 9:37:39 AM   
zakblood

quote:

ORIGINAL: redcoat

Wellington’s Guns: The untold story of Wellington and his artillery in the Peninsula and at Waterloo.
I can recommend it to anyone interested in the Peninsular War and Waterloo campaign.

another good one is Peter Snow's To War with Wellington, From the Peninsula to Waterloo

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 10/17/2018 9:38:49 AM >

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 2647
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/18/2018 5:38:13 PM   
warspite1

The Peter Snow book above looks interesting - as does the Wellington's Guns. I'll think about those. Meanwhile I was going to go with Nelson and Napoleon - The Long Haul to Trafalgar (Lee) but, not for the first time, I'm struggling....

So I've shelved that for the mo and am instead going to give Hitler, Stalin and Mussolini - Totalitarianism In The Twentieth Century (Pauley) a go.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 10/19/2018 4:35:23 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 2648
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/18/2018 11:38:08 PM   
wodin

Snows Grandad was a general in WW1 not well thought of either.

Please someone check out and read Grey Bastards by J French

Ryan's Bridge to Far is a classic, must read Longest Day at some point

< Message edited by wodin -- 10/18/2018 11:39:51 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2649
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/21/2018 9:07:01 PM   
redcoat

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Meanwhile I was going to go with Nelson and Napoleon - The Long Haul to Trafalgar (Lee) but, not for the first time, I'm struggling....

Today of all days would be a good day to read about Nelson. Happy Trafalgar Day!

Attachment (1)

“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2650
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/22/2018 12:34:42 AM   
berto

EMBRACE AN ANGRY WIND, The Confederacy's Last Hurrah: Spring Hill, Franklin, and Nashville, by Wiley Sword, Harper Collins, 1992.

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 2651
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/22/2018 5:29:08 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: redcoat

quote:

Meanwhile I was going to go with Nelson and Napoleon - The Long Haul to Trafalgar (Lee) but, not for the first time, I'm struggling....

Today of all days would be a good day to read about Nelson. Happy Trafalgar Day!

warspite1

Huzzah!! Although how different things might have been had Edmund Blackadder not had that crucial meeting with Lord Wellington before the battle....

(From about 0:30)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clM1i88s-7Q

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 2652
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/31/2018 7:58:52 PM   
mikkey

after the When Thunder Rolled I continue with the next Rasimus' book Palace Cobra

< Message edited by mikkey -- 10/31/2018 8:00:27 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2653
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/31/2018 9:07:27 PM   
Toby42

Just started War of the Wolf by Bernard Cornwell..

Tony

(in reply to mikkey)
Post #: 2654
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/2/2018 3:50:18 PM   
comodi

Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. Perfect for anyone who wants to get their hustle going.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 2655
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/2/2018 5:14:54 PM   
altipueri

Goodbye to All That. Robert Graves

(in reply to comodi)
Post #: 2656
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/16/2018 6:26:42 PM   
warspite1

At long last I’m getting round to reading Shattered Sword again. Three chapters in and this is every bit as brilliant as I remember it.

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 2657
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/16/2018 10:39:11 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

At long last I’m getting round to reading Shattered Sword again. Three chapters in and this is every bit as brilliant as I remember it.

One of the best! Solid choice!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2658
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/17/2018 2:19:16 AM   
AndySfromVA

The personal memoirs of Ulysses S Grant.
Fascinating.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2659
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/18/2018 10:22:03 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

One of the best! Solid choice!
warspite1

It's funny the things one forgets. But I had completely forgotten about the plan for Operation AL. As I'm reading it I'm thinking "is this true? Surely this is just made up?".........

Nurse!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2660
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/18/2018 10:56:01 AM   
RFalvo69

The biography of Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson. Jobs was really a strange person. I watched the movie by Danny Boyle, and it does a good job in showing the flaws and the quirks of Jobs - even if the context is fictitious (the backstage of three products’ launch).

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2661
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/19/2018 1:22:40 AM   
cpdeyoung

@Wodin

I saw Grey Bastards on the new books shelf at my public library and remembered your recommendation.

This book is every bit as good as you indicate. I, like you, am waiting for a continuation. The book is profane, and vulgar, but if you are an adult go for it. The author himself says it will be years before he lets his young son read it. It is a dense story, but the author does a good job of keeping the threads weaving. I found it easy to care about the characters.

Give it a try, maybe especially, if it a genre you do not normally read. Fantasy is not an area I am well read in, but I will be watching for this author.

Chuck

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 2662
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/25/2018 6:39:39 PM   
warspite1

Annoyingly I'm having to temporarily shelve Shattered Sword for a couple of weeks or so. I've ordered (and should have delivered on Tuesday) Churchill's Secret War: The British Empire and the Ravaging of India during World War II.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2663
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/1/2018 9:54:37 AM   
HeinzBaby

ARMAGEDDON
The Battle for Germany, 1944-1945
Sir Max Hastings Author.
I've read a few of his books: Falklands, Bomber Command and Overlord.

He really lifts the lid off the warm fuzzy feeling about the Allied effort in the last year and a half of the war in Europe.
A comment Marshal Zhukov hit it on the nail, when when the Allies landed in Normandy, ..Eleven months before the end of a six year war was only to prevent Stalin from reaching Paris.
Hastings has been critcized as being too 'Harsh' in his books, but he covers it well, all warts n' all, how the Red Army surged over Prussia and Eastern Europe like a Mechanised Medieval Army hell bent on Bloody revenge of rape and pillage to the Fiasco of Arnhem.
This one, Armageddon is a bloody 'Good Read' but then I've found all his books are.

Heia Safari

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2664
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/1/2018 1:38:50 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: HeinzBaby
A comment Marshal Zhukov hit it on the nail, when when the Allies landed in Normandy, ..Eleven months before the end of a six year war was only to prevent Stalin from reaching Paris.

An interesting take, to be sure. I suspect that Zhukov may have been rather downplaying the role of the British, Canadians and Americans in Western Europe to buttress their own claims of superiority. Stalin wasn't best known for his embrace of free expression amongst his generals, you know. Any fantastic claims of Zhukov or the like need to be taken with a bit of a grain of salt.

(in reply to HeinzBaby)
Post #: 2665
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/1/2018 2:07:35 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

An interesting take, to be sure. I suspect that Zhukov may have been rather downplaying the role of the British, Canadians and Americans in Western Europe to buttress their own claims of superiority. Stalin wasn't best known for his embrace of free expression amongst his generals, you know. Any fantastic claims of Zhukov or the like need to be taken with a bit of a grain of salt.
warspite1

+1

As I mentioned in the thread about India, Hastings is seemingly trying ever harder to remain relevant.

I certainly have great respect for what the ordinary Soviet achieved in World War II and there is no doubt the Red Army broke the Wehrmacht. But very little in life is simple.

What if the Allied generals had been able to treat the lives of their men with the total disregard for life that the Soviet generals treated theirs when attacking or defending.

It would be interesting to see where the Soviets would have been without (amongst other things):

- lend lease
- the air war in west and in the Mediterranean. There were more German aircraft in these theatres than in the East where they were desperately needed and where the war would be won or lost.
- the huge numbers of men and artillery pieces defending the homeland against the bomber offensive. Again that artillery would otherwise have been in the east where it was needed.
- the numbers of troops tied down fighting in Italy and later France

Hastings can re-visit history all he likes (it's not always a bad thing to question accepted versions of events) but I think he oversteps the mark too often of late.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 12/1/2018 2:17:16 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2666
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/1/2018 2:08:18 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

The Soviets edited out lots of US, or British, made equipment from their photos in order to downplay the importance the received equipment played. So I am not going to take the word of a Soviet Marshal. No matter how good he might have been at his trade.

I've read that USSR even edited out things that can signal that Soviet soldiers had looted...

< Message edited by Orm -- 12/1/2018 2:09:06 PM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2667
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/1/2018 2:32:18 PM   
loki100

quote:

- the huge numbers of men and artillery pieces defending the homeland against the bomber offensive. Again that artillery would otherwise have been in the east where it was needed.

as an aside to this, it wasn't just artillery pieces. Something like 70% of the German shell production was for AA guns, and that was of course mostly used up against Western Allied aircraft. Its a huge diversion of effort and resources.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2668
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/6/2018 8:15:21 AM   
loki100

Geoffrey Wawro The Austro-Prussian War - not something I knew anything about apart from how it is treated in wider 19C European History. Decided I wanted to know more after wading through Gat (History of Military Thought) in the summer as he argues it was the moment when Jomini fought Clauswitz (by proxy) and that everyone drew the wrong conclusions.

Its well written but the maps could be better.

Few bits that stood out. Europeans looking down on the performance of American Armies in the Civil War were really missing the point. All of Italy, Austria, the secondary German states and Prussia faced massive in-battle desertion rates as the lethality of rifle fire became obvious. he cites a battle in the Rhineland where about 25% of a Prussian brigade deserted. Prussia was as bad operationally and logistically as everyone else. For all Benedict's endless failings, there were about 4 hours at Sadowa when he could have won the war simply by a sustained frontal attack.

In terms of games, makes me wish that Brother against Brother will be revived and extended. From this, its the perfect rendition of mid-19C combat at the regimental/tactical level. Also increases my respect for Frank Hunter's Campaigns on the Danube - the only game where your corps can get spread out over 50 miles of roads while you are working out how to actually fight a battle.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2669
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/6/2018 9:17:05 AM   
Zorch

+1
Wawro also wrote a book on the 1866 Austro-Prussian War.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2670
Page:   <<   < prev  87 88 [89] 90 91   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  87 88 [89] 90 91   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI