Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Notes from a Small Island

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Notes from a Small Island Page: <<   < prev  110 111 [112] 113 114   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 11/23/2018 10:21:02 PM   
Canoerebel

3/2/45

Raids on Death Star: The ambush works, albeit not as planned. Erik's bombers didn't target Allied troops today (instead, modest raids targeted Etorofu's airfield). But Erik had many strike aircraft set to the necessary range, and they sortie in numbers. DS's CAP easily handles the raids - mostly by second tier bombers and fighters. One kami hits an RN CV (damage not known yet, but probably not grave).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 11/23/2018 10:24:55 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3331
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 11/23/2018 10:33:36 PM   
Canoerebel

3/2/45

Air Losses: Lopsided victories like this have been infrequent for the Allies.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3332
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 11/23/2018 11:15:27 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: zuluhour

......there may be penalties for operating in the coastal hex.....maybe only on landings? (only fleet carriers)

There aren't any penalties for using aircraft carriers in non-base coastal hexes.

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 3333
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 11/23/2018 11:21:57 PM   
Canoerebel

3/2/45

CV Victorious: The kami hit does minor damage.

All carrier TFs replenished from AEs, and thus have 100% sorties and ammo.

Until yesterday, the plan had been to put DS into port to replenish missing aircraft. Instead, it'll now head north to handle the Shasukotan invasion. DS will make it to Shikuka fairly soon, but operating out on the fringes has little risk of encountering serious opposition, while allowing proper pacing of the remaining invasions.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3334
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 11/24/2018 12:15:11 AM   
BillBrown

That is going to leave a stain.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3335
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 11/24/2018 12:17:26 AM   
RangerJoe

A very nice CAP trap.

Also, if you have replenishment groups in the area, if your carrier based air units are set to receive replacements they should be able to get them from the replenishment groups, no matter where those replenishment groups are based.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3336
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 11/24/2018 12:36:23 AM   
BBfanboy

Jack and Jill flew over the hill, hoping to catch Dan Roper
Both were downed, while obvert frowned at Dan's rope-a-doper!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3337
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 11/24/2018 9:11:39 AM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

That was a little better than I thought it would be......

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3338
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 11/24/2018 2:55:21 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Thanks, BBfanboy. That's creative and clever.

I'm a fan of eloquent and moving poetry, so here's something I wrote after a tough hike in the Cohutta Wilderness Area on October 5.

STRANGELY NAMED

Highland folk called it Black Mountain Road
and named a bend where it fell (or rose)
after a mishap that oddly bestowed
a meaning only one living man knows.

A highlander once told that man a tale
of cleaning a woods boar, slain for a meal,
he threw its cod-piece and watched it sail,
and spin ‘round a limb, a grisly pinwheel.

The highlander said that he’d never seen
a discarded cod-piece hit the ground
it always snagged someplace in between,
then circled, making a bush-rattling sound.

That highlander, speaking with old-timey verve,
revealed the meaning of Possum Cod Curve.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3339
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 11/24/2018 3:24:33 PM   
RangerJoe

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3340
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 11/26/2018 12:35:32 PM   
Canoerebel

3/3/45 and 3/4/45

NoPac: A brief interlude during which the Shasukotan invasion force loaded at Shikuka, sailed, and approached the target. Erik has made some adjustments to deployments, at least temporarily, that may create some opportunities. He's left Sapporo without fighters and has his carriers and combat ships concentrated at Maizuro. This bears watching and evaluation, as Death Star will become available in a couple of days or so.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 11/26/2018 12:43:49 PM >

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3341
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 11/26/2018 8:41:28 PM   
Canoerebel

Sometime ago, I mentioned that I was beginning the search for a new game. Since then, I've experienced some weird interactions. I'm beginning to feel like looking for a new AE game after years of monogamy with reliable, faithful, committed partners is like re-entering the dating scene after being married for thirty years. Yikes!

First, a player (he shall remain nameless) and I exchanged about three emails in which I expressed my interest and we had preliminary discussions about mods, etc. He went dark for a few days, so I contacted him to ask him if he was still interested. "Heaven forbid!" he ejaculated. (Zane Gray used that word in his novels, so I can too). I can't start a new game now for reasons x, y, and z." "Okay," thinks I, moving on. A week later, this unnamed player announced a match against another player.

So I contacted a second player who had posted an Opponents Wanted notice. We entered into the preliminaries, exchanging two or three emails. Then he disappeared. A week later, I contacted him. He assured me of his affection and that he was committed to our relationship. Another week has passed, but I haven't heard further from him.

This dating thing is awful!

(Wife and I have been married for 31 years. I am very thankful my last visit to the "real" dating scene was in 1986, if AE wooing is any indication of what it might be like.)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 11/26/2018 8:42:38 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3342
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 11/26/2018 11:20:28 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Sometime ago, I mentioned that I was beginning the search for a new game. Since then, I've experienced some weird interactions. I'm beginning to feel like looking for a new AE game after years of monogamy with reliable, faithful, committed partners is like re-entering the dating scene after being married for thirty years. Yikes!

First, a player (he shall remain nameless) and I exchanged about three emails in which I expressed my interest and we had preliminary discussions about mods, etc. He went dark for a few days, so I contacted him to ask him if he was still interested. "Heaven forbid!" he ejaculated. (Zane Gray used that word in his novels, so I can too). I can't start a new game now for reasons x, y, and z." "Okay," thinks I, moving on. A week later, this unnamed player announced a match against another player.

So I contacted a second player who had posted an Opponents Wanted notice. We entered into the preliminaries, exchanging two or three emails. Then he disappeared. A week later, I contacted him. He assured me of his affection and that he was committed to our relationship. Another week has passed, but I haven't heard further from him.

(Wife and I have been married for 31 years. I am very thankful my last visit to the "real" dating scene was in 1986, if AE wooing is any indication of what it might be like.)

My guess is that they read your last two or three AARs and decided you are an IJ molester who should not be dated if they do not want to be abused badly!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3343
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 11/26/2018 11:26:36 PM   
Anachro

quote:

I think you should try the Japanese side for your next AAR. I would certainly read that; and I'd guarantee you a much better dating scene! All those AFB studs seem to have the hots for young, JFB lasses. You could have your pick of the lot!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3344
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 11/26/2018 11:34:05 PM   
Canoerebel

IJ molester! Hah!

As for playing Japan, utter incompetence just doesn't sound like that much fun, and I'm afraid my heart might not be in it. I don't understand production and don't think I want to tax myself to learn it.

I guess I might at least consider it if I could find an IJ-only player that agreed to play the Allies for the first time. But there's little doubt that playing the Allies is easier than playing Japan, at least from '41 into late '44.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 3345
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 11/26/2018 11:52:38 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

IJ molester! Hah!

As for playing Japan, utter incompetence just doesn't sound like that much fun, and I'm afraid my heart might not be in it. I don't understand production and don't think I want to tax myself to learn it.

I guess I might at least consider it if I could find an IJ-only player that agreed to play the Allies for the first time. But there's little doubt that playing the Allies is easier than playing Japan, at least from '41 into late '44.

Mike Soli's tag line art says he is a Japanese Production Fan Boy. Maybe you could hire him to look after the economy while you fight the war. How many rice-balls could it cost?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3346
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 11/27/2018 2:35:59 AM   
Bif1961

Good luck finding a worthy opponent.I have been very fortunate and have been playing against the same opponent for 6 years switching sides once we conclude a match. We are starting a new one and he said the last one was the best yet. However, this time he gets to be Japan,let's see how long the bloom stays on the rose.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3347
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 11/27/2018 2:53:06 AM   
AcePylut

My advice on a new match - wait until you find someone that has a respected forum presence... otherwise, prepare to be disappointed by a steady stream of IJ players that drop the match at the first sign of "fun time is over".

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 3348
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 11/27/2018 6:41:03 AM   
Canoerebel

I feel the same way, Ace. If possible, I'd choose one of my former opponents (Miller, John III or Obvert), because they are reliable and fun. But each of them is currently involved in one or more matches. So I'm hoping to find somebody of their caliber. It might take awhile, but eventually something'll pop up.

As for playing as Japan, I won't totally dismiss it from consideration, but I'd much rather play as the Allies. I prefer that and it's been six years now since I last played the early game in that capacity - it's not like it's grown stale.

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 3349
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 11/27/2018 6:43:58 AM   
Canoerebel

3/5/45

NoPac: Lots of wheels in motion here and elsewhere, some in discussion and others not. D-Day at Shasukotan went well. The enemy garrison appears to be a hodge-podge of cadres left behind during the mass enemy withdrawal. I think.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3350
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 11/27/2018 6:45:35 AM   
Canoerebel

3/5/45

Shasukotan: Collectively, the enemy garrison has a decent AV, but it looks like individually the units are weak and ripe for plucking.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3351
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 11/27/2018 6:47:49 AM   
Canoerebel

3/5/45

Shasukotan: 6th Marine Div. and the rest of the assault troops come ashore in excellent shape. 100% prep, a fully-prepped Amphib Force HQ, and non-Cold Zone conditions make quite a difference in comparison to last week's Paramushiro debacle. Enemy shore guns at Shasukotan were stout.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3352
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 11/27/2018 6:51:24 AM   
Canoerebel

3/5/45

Tavoy: Allies outnumber enemy garrison, but IJ 106th Div. is about three days away. Allied DD and CA/DD TFs take turns bombarding this hex each day. Bombers target the enemy troops (and also 106th Div.). Allies will try a probing deliberate attack tomorrow. If it doesn't work, that's fine. Allied army really has no designs in this direction. Eventually it will consolidate to move south. The move on Tavoy was to threaten Erik's MLR at Rangoon, though I'm not sure I want Erik to feel threatened yet.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3353
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 11/27/2018 6:54:13 AM   
Canoerebel

3/5/45

Burma: Ready or not, the enemy is evacuating Rangoon. I have mixed feelings. This is a high-value base, opens up lots of logistical advantages (supply, upgrading units) and is necessary going forward. As noted previously, though, I really didn't want Erik to pull back for another month or two.

Erik made the right move here, no doubt. I think it will be an overall boost to the Allied war effort, but I may come to lament that it took place in March rather than May.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3354
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 11/27/2018 7:15:19 AM   
Barb

Not easy to find a player that will fit and stay at it. Had several as allies none gone further than mid-43. Then tried a 2v2 as Japan - that actually split into two different games... Still playing the Jap there in 2/44 and still had upper hand in the points and in the air (to a degree) although the Navy got a bit of beating - but that says a bit more about my opponent than me :D

The other ongoing game as Allies we are in 12/43, but the opponent is a substitute for the original one, but giving a good game so far - Am winning the air war, but he has the Navy in top condition (as is mine, so a showdown is probably in making).

Anyway I doubt I will play any more game as Japan. It really is challenging and not easy on my nerves - especially seeing top Japanese pilots in top planes being swept away to oblivion (but giving bloody nose too) and then being flattened by B-24s in hundreds. Or seeing hundred B-24s on a ground attack mission... If I ever finish one of my two games (hopefully it will not be so soon) I will probably try to pick-up an allied side again.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3355
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 11/27/2018 11:01:09 AM   
adarbrauner

quote:

I feel the same way, Ace. If possible, I'd choose one of my former opponents (Miller, John III or Obvert), because they are reliable and fun. But each of them is currently involved in one or more matches. So I'm hoping to find somebody of their caliber. It might take awhile, but eventually something'll pop up.

As for playing as Japan, I won't totally dismiss it from consideration, but I'd much rather play as the Allies. I prefer that and it's been six years now since I last played the early game in that capacity - it's not like it's grown stale.

you could try at least start playing as Japan against the AI;
it would be higly beneficial for you for understanding of the Japanese side and mechanics;

If thought to"propose" you out, but not before I've pulled off my mod; besides, I'd suggest a set of home rules I'm doubtful you would accept; finally, I play with "elasticity" while you may be freakin out not receiving a turn for two days in a row

BUT

if a team of two or more players per side could be formed, with some elasticity concerning the expected delivery, then....I'd jump in if possible

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barb

Anyway I doubt I will play any more game as Japan. It really is challenging and not easy on my nerves - especially seeing top Japanese pilots in top planes being swept away to oblivion (but giving bloody nose too) and then being flattened by B-24s in hundreds. Or seeing hundred B-24s on a ground attack mission... If I ever finish one of my two games (hopefully it will not be so soon) I will probably try to pick-up an allied side again.

Barb: what do home rule exist for if not to limit such excesses?

suggest no ground bombing higher than 6-7 k feet, at least they may take flak; also, It was recently posted in a different new AAR an agredd rule forbidding air to ground 4E bombing over contsted hexes ()

< Message edited by adarbrauner -- 11/27/2018 11:06:17 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3356
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 11/27/2018 12:56:20 PM   
Canoerebel

I've started two games as Japan against the AI. Neither got very far. I learned a little - mainly that I didn't enjoy it. I think the enjoyment level would rise against a live opponent, but it wouldn't be as much fun as beginning a new game as Allied player against a veteran Forumite Japanese player.

(in reply to adarbrauner)
Post #: 3357
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 11/27/2018 12:57:12 PM   
Canoerebel

Placeholder for later.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 11/27/2018 1:06:10 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3358
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 11/27/2018 7:24:42 PM   
dave sindel

quote:

I've only two PBEM games worth of experience, both still ongoing. My first game is in Oct 44 and we're already talking about a rematch. My opponent is from Italy and the time difference works well for us. He is very reliable for a turn per day and on those occasions where he can't make a turn, he always communicates that fact. My other opponent has a tendency to disappear for days on end with absolutely zero communication. It's very frustrating to never know when the next turn will arrive, and for me it disrupts the flow of the game. I mention this as a suggestion for you of another thing to consider in your search for a new opponent. I know that one of my preliminary points of discussion when searching for another opponent in the future will be "PBEM Etiquette".

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3359
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 11/27/2018 10:11:25 PM   
Canoerebel

Some people are adept at PBEM etiquette - it comes natural to them. Some learn. Some are prevented by DNA from understanding. I think that's what women say about us many and our failures in communicating.

(in reply to dave sindel)
Post #: 3360
Page:   <<   < prev  110 111 [112] 113 114   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Notes from a Small Island Page: <<   < prev  110 111 [112] 113 114   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI