Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

helicopters too resistant to SAM fire

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Armored Brigade >> helicopters too resistant to SAM fire Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
helicopters too resistant to SAM fire - 11/27/2018 2:09:32 PM   
gbem

helicopters too resistant to SAM fire... even older helicopters without flares or ECM like the KIOWA or an MI4 seem to be capable of doging and surviving multiple SAM hits... i find this odd... ive seen videos of light helicopters going down to a single stinger or strela shot...
Post #: 1
RE: helicopters too resistant to SAM fire - 11/27/2018 2:42:37 PM   
varangy

The same can be said for airplanes. Multiple missile hits and AAA firing on them and they still fly onwards.

(in reply to gbem)
Post #: 2
RE: helicopters too resistant to SAM fire - 11/27/2018 2:45:13 PM   
gbem

stalinium MI-4s and freedomium kiowas XD

(in reply to varangy)
Post #: 3
RE: helicopters too resistant to SAM fire - 11/27/2018 3:20:49 PM   
Perturabo

There should be some distinction between aircraft equipped with counter-measures and ones not equipped with them.
Also, it would be cool if there were animations of flares and chaffs being fired.

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to gbem)
Post #: 4
RE: helicopters too resistant to SAM fire - 11/27/2018 3:34:31 PM   
kevinkins

I am finding enemy choppers are more vulnerable to a platoon of tank MG fire than SAMs. I remember one successful SAM hit. Switched to M163 vulcan last night and it worked better, although the range is shorter. Maybe choppers spend too much time out of LOS for SAM systems to acquire.

Kevin

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to gbem)
Post #: 5
RE: helicopters too resistant to SAM fire - 11/27/2018 3:59:07 PM   
Veitikka

In real life helicopters are better at using terrain features as cover.

Know thyself!

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 6
RE: helicopters too resistant to SAM fire - 11/27/2018 8:16:39 PM   
gbem

Yeah but i doubt surviving 4x SA 13s can be done with kiowas

(in reply to Veitikka)
Post #: 7
RE: helicopters too resistant to SAM fire - 11/28/2018 1:11:07 PM   
blackcloud6

The SA-13 has about a 500m minimum range and minimum engagement angle of 40 degrees. The OH-58s might be able to stay below that and thus the missiles miss. Which is why they are called "missiles" and "hittles."

(in reply to gbem)
Post #: 8
RE: helicopters too resistant to SAM fire - 11/28/2018 2:08:54 PM   
gerardo

Maybe you missed the original post but they were HIT (multiple times)

(in reply to blackcloud6)
Post #: 9
RE: helicopters too resistant to SAM fire - 11/28/2018 2:26:09 PM   
zacklaws

You can bring down an artillery barrage down on helicopters as well and despite only hovering 50 metres or 80 metres above the ground, it does not destroy them, damage them or even drive them away. As they can be game changers and you can hardly do anything about them, including aircraft, as I manually pick the units for each side, I rarely ever select aircraft or helicopters.

(in reply to gerardo)
Post #: 10
RE: helicopters too resistant to SAM fire - 11/28/2018 2:51:55 PM   
gerardo

Not good, must be a bug

(in reply to zacklaws)
Post #: 11
RE: helicopters too resistant to SAM fire - 11/28/2018 5:52:50 PM   
kevinkins

The AI seems to bring their choppers in ASAP and can ruin your day at the outset to the battle. I put AA up with the lead units but have been consistently losing 3-5 of the point units. I have been planning for this initial loss in Advance type battles for a few days now. It might be my OOBs are too small and the chopper sections are having a disportionate affect on the battle.

Kevin

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to gerardo)
Post #: 12
RE: helicopters too resistant to SAM fire - 11/28/2018 6:29:29 PM   
gbem

i just modded SAMS with 500 damage and they accurately oneshot helicopters now... its pretty neat

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 13
RE: helicopters too resistant to SAM fire - 11/28/2018 10:28:11 PM   
Eambar

In my current battle I've lost more armored vehicles to air (helos and fixed wing) than I have ground, including three vehicles in about 10 seconds to a MiG.

My AA has been ineffective against the fixed wing, including a battery of Gepards. I haven't had anything shoot at the helos so I don't know if they are resistant to AA or not. I'm still trying to work out how to determine the LoS to a helicopter (does it differ from the usual LOS shown by the LOS tool) and why some vehicles (eg Marder 1A1A2) can't/won't shoot at them. I was thinking maybe it was gun elevation?

Next time I'm stocking up big on AA assets.

Cheers

< Message edited by Doggie3 -- 11/28/2018 10:32:07 PM >

(in reply to gbem)
Post #: 14
RE: helicopters too resistant to SAM fire - 11/28/2018 10:53:08 PM   
zacklaws

quote:

I think you will need more than just "stocking up Big". About an hour ago, I created a scenario on the North German map in the South East corner where there is a vast open space to put AA units to the test. I selected 20 AA units, Rapier, Javelin and blowpipe and manually selected a vast fleet of different aircraft and helicopters. Soon as an aircraft or helicopter appeared, it was mass volley fire at them and it was a rarity for one to be hit. I could not count how many missiles were fired in total, up to about 8 at a time just for one target, but only 4 helicopters were brought down overall. All aircraft just flew through the volley of missiles with impunity as if they was not there.

Eventually, I'll alter the database if I ever feel a need for aircraft and helicopters in a scenario.

(in reply to Eambar)
Post #: 15
RE: helicopters too resistant to SAM fire - 11/29/2018 2:06:47 AM   
Eambar

quote:

ORIGINAL: zacklaws

quote:

I think you will need more than just "stocking up Big". About an hour ago, I created a scenario on the North German map in the South East corner where there is a vast open space to put AA units to the test. I selected 20 AA units, Rapier, Javelin and blowpipe and manually selected a vast fleet of different aircraft and helicopters. Soon as an aircraft or helicopter appeared, it was mass volley fire at them and it was a rarity for one to be hit. I could not count how many missiles were fired in total, up to about 8 at a time just for one target, but only 4 helicopters were brought down overall. All aircraft just flew through the volley of missiles with impunity as if they was not there.

Eventually, I'll alter the database if I ever feel a need for aircraft and helicopters in a scenario.

Thanks, I don't feel so bad now that my Gepards appear not to be able to hit the side of a barn. Maybe I'll give the AA a miss then, and use the points elsewhere (although I have used a Vulcan against infantry, got to love the sound of a minigun!)

Maybe we need some CMNAO type algorithims for the engagement of aircraft.

Cheers

(in reply to zacklaws)
Post #: 16
RE: helicopters too resistant to SAM fire - 11/29/2018 2:18:41 AM   
CapnDarwin

Is the issue hit versus miss or hit versus kill?

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to Eambar)
Post #: 17
RE: helicopters too resistant to SAM fire - 11/29/2018 2:48:37 AM   
gbem

Hit vs kill actually... the modded 500 damage SAMs efficiently kill helos

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 18
RE: helicopters too resistant to SAM fire - 11/29/2018 3:05:27 AM   
Veitikka

quote:

You can bring down an artillery barrage down on helicopters as well and despite only hovering 50 metres or 80 metres above the ground, it does not destroy them, damage them or even drive them away.

zacklaws, I believe we've discussed this with you a few times on the Beta forums. Currently artillery doesn't damage aircraft. Works as designed.

To others: Are you aware that aircraft can abort their attack and escape via the closest map edge when they take fire, even if they're not damaged? This happens quite often.

< Message edited by Veitikka -- 11/29/2018 3:08:09 AM >

Know thyself!

(in reply to zacklaws)
Post #: 19
RE: helicopters too resistant to SAM fire - 11/29/2018 4:05:19 AM   
Veitikka

I just did three attack runs on a default sized NTC map. A flight of MiG-27 vs a section of Roland SAMs. Every time one of the aircraft aborted its attack and escaped or was shot down.

Know thyself!

(in reply to Veitikka)
Post #: 20
RE: helicopters too resistant to SAM fire - 11/29/2018 8:01:57 AM   
gerardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Veitikka

quote:

You can bring down an artillery barrage down on helicopters as well and despite only hovering 50 metres or 80 metres above the ground, it does not destroy them, damage them or even drive them away.

zacklaws, I believe we've discussed this with you a few times on the Beta forums. Currently artillery doesn't damage aircraft. Works as designed.

To others: Are you aware that aircraft can abort their attack and escape via the closest map edge when they take fire, even if they're not damaged? This happens quite often.

Ok so it's not a bug but a design decision but why? Too difficult to implement?

(in reply to Veitikka)
Post #: 21
RE: helicopters too resistant to SAM fire - 11/29/2018 8:10:22 AM   
varangy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doggie3

I have used a Vulcan against infantry, got to love the sound of a minigun!)

Yeah I decided to bring more AAA than AAM stuff, at least they are effective against infantry.

(in reply to Eambar)
Post #: 22
RE: helicopters too resistant to SAM fire - 11/29/2018 2:05:48 PM   
noooooo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Veitikka

I just did three attack runs on a default sized NTC map. A flight of MiG-27 vs a section of Roland SAMs. Every time one of the aircraft aborted its attack and escaped or was shot down.

Surprise surprise, the OP is citing anecdotal evidence and his feelings again. In other news, water is wet.

(in reply to Veitikka)
Post #: 23
RE: helicopters too resistant to SAM fire - 11/29/2018 2:10:07 PM   
gbem

quote:

Surprise surprise, the OP is citing anecdotal evidence and his feelings again. In other news, water is wet.

citing anecdotal evidence*... soo apparently all the tests i conducted with my 500 damage SAM is anecdotal... id guess someone went too far with his feelings here

(in reply to noooooo)
Post #: 24
RE: helicopters too resistant to SAM fire - 11/29/2018 2:15:34 PM   
noooooo

quote:

ORIGINAL: gbem

quote:

citing anecdotal evidence*... soo apparently all the tests i conducted with my 500 damage SAM is anecdotal... id guess someone went too far with his feelings here

Having feelings is fine my dude. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with feeling strongly about something. As long as you don't cite your feelings as a source as if it's reality, it's normal for humans to feel emotional about things.

(in reply to gbem)
Post #: 25
RE: helicopters too resistant to SAM fire - 11/29/2018 2:18:58 PM   
gbem

quote:

Having feelings is fine my dude. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with feeling strongly about something. As long as you don't cite your feelings as a source as if it's reality, it's normal for humans to feel emotional about things.

claiming that i used "feelings" instead of tests actually conducted using the game engine using the modded 500 damage OSA is ridiculous

(in reply to noooooo)
Post #: 26
RE: helicopters too resistant to SAM fire - 11/29/2018 2:39:02 PM   
gbem

hey nooo how about conducting the tests i did... set ur AAM to 500 damage and let loose a swarm of aircraft... see how fast they die...

ive conducted 3 tests... in all 3 tests the A-10 had smoke on the first missile hit and crashed soon after

(in reply to gbem)
Post #: 27
RE: helicopters too resistant to SAM fire - 11/29/2018 3:08:23 PM   
zacklaws

I conducted a couple of tests this morning, the last one was on the NTC, 12 air defence sections (24 fire units) consisting of Gepard and Roland vs 19 flights of aircraft and helicopters. Not once did I get a flight to abort. But by the end of the scenario, all 38 aircraft had been shot down, only 20 "wrecks" on the map, so the other 18 must have crashed off map. How many Rolands had been launched and AA ammunition expended I do not know. In my first scenario around 10 to 15 missiles were needed to "down" an helicopter in volley fire.

First picture, all aircraft engaged by multiple fire units.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gbem)
Post #: 28
RE: helicopters too resistant to SAM fire - 11/29/2018 3:10:29 PM   
zacklaws

The aircraft fly through the barrage having engaged the ground tgts. No sign of aborted mission

Attachment (1)

(in reply to zacklaws)
Post #: 29
RE: helicopters too resistant to SAM fire - 11/29/2018 3:12:17 PM   
zacklaws

Engagement over, no aircraft appeared to be hit, but unknown if any damaged and crashed off map.

This type of engagement was typical of the whole scenario.

In all fairness looking at it now, the map is not very wide, maybe with a wider map, its possible the aircraft may have aborted having a longer flight time before reaching the AA defences and maybe locked up by radar etc for longer. But I will try that out later if I have time. If not next week now.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zacklaws -- 11/29/2018 3:15:19 PM >

(in reply to zacklaws)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Armored Brigade >> helicopters too resistant to SAM fire Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI