Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

TOAW IV or WITW

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> TOAW IV or WITW Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
TOAW IV or WITW - 12/1/2018 4:51:52 PM   
BKL

I actually have both games, purchased a while back but never got into them. Now I have more time and wver the next few months I would like to focus on one game.

Anyone have thoughts on what the enjoy more, the differences, pros/cons of each?
Post #: 1
RE: TOAW IV or WITW - 12/1/2018 5:33:38 PM   
dox44

i have both plus WitE and WitP. i couldn't pick just one to play. all are top notch and enjoy all of them.

good luck picking one.

(in reply to BKL)
Post #: 2
RE: TOAW IV or WITW - 12/1/2018 7:42:57 PM   
BKL

quote:

ORIGINAL: dox44

i have both plus WitE and WitP. i couldn't pick just one to play. all are top notch and enjoy all of them.

good luck picking one.

I read that TOAW sometimes doesn't do a good job accurately / realistically simulating conflicts. But then most of what I read is that people love it. Any thoughts?

(in reply to dox44)
Post #: 3
RE: TOAW IV or WITW - 12/2/2018 10:54:40 AM   
mussey

quote:

ORIGINAL: BKL

quote:

good luck picking one.

I read that TOAW sometimes doesn't do a good job accurately / realistically simulating conflicts. But then most of what I read is that people love it. Any thoughts?

I also have played all four: TOAW, WitW, WitE, WitP. The West turned me off with its presentation of the air war, so not much playing time . East is a great game but how many times to play that theatre before losing interest. Pacific is incredible and possibly one of the best games ever produced. Excellent air and naval depiction, but very intricate and time consuming if playing the whole campaign.

So far, TOAW has my interest. It does a great job with land combat and very easy to use air force so that I don't have to micromanage that side of my campaigns. Naval war needs some TLC if any future updates are produced, but then again I don't believe it was intended to focus on that anyway.

But the best thing, TOAW allows me to edit/modify/create scenarios. Thus far this is satisfying my creative side of wargaming.

< Message edited by mussey -- 12/2/2018 10:56:12 AM >

Col. Mussbu

The long arm of the law - "The King of Battle"

(in reply to BKL)
Post #: 4
RE: TOAW IV or WITW - 12/2/2018 10:56:47 AM   
altipueri

I suggest you read a few AARs. This one by Warspite is a new player introduction to TOAW 4 and mentions relation to historical accuracy: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4380161

(in reply to BKL)
Post #: 5
RE: TOAW IV or WITW - 12/2/2018 11:21:03 AM   
samba_liten

In TOAW iv much of the realism comes down to the scenario you play. Unlike the other titles you mention, the scenarios are (most of them) not designed by the developer of the game, but by "modders".

السلام عليكم

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 6
RE: TOAW IV or WITW - 12/2/2018 12:41:06 PM   
sPzAbt653

Scenarios are created by 'Scenario Designers', not 'modders'. There is a huge difference in the terms.

(in reply to samba_liten)
Post #: 7
RE: TOAW IV or WITW - 12/2/2018 1:19:56 PM   
kosmoface

quote:

I actually have both games, purchased a while back but never got into them. Now I have more time and wver the next few months I would like to focus on one game.

Anyone have thoughts on what the enjoy more, the differences, pros/cons of each?

In my eyes WITE aand WITW have the best game design. This is simple number 1.

BUT as much as I love the game design of WitW I throughly believe that the scale is off. I know the did this because they wanted to merge WitW and WITE into one big WW2 game. Since WITE2 is so long in the oven, I really don't know if this ever will happen. The air game in WitW is simply the best, but because of the big scale land war is boring to me. It's a shame.

Regarding TOAW IV. It has in my eyes the second best design AND you simply can play the whole war, eastern front or western front or meditarranean front, in large or small scale PLUS several other conflicts throughout history.

I think TOAW has a good design and really delivers in variety, whereas WitW ist just this timespan in very thorough detail. You have to decide which one is more important to you.

quote:

quote:

good luck picking one.

TOAW is just a tool for a variety of conflicts, of course it has its shortcomings, but there will always be compromises in game design that some people won't like. Neither game is perfect.

(I believe you mean this: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4275917 This problem is fixed since TOAW II)

< Message edited by kosmoface -- 12/2/2018 1:25:18 PM >

(in reply to BKL)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> TOAW IV or WITW Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI