Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WitP Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> WitP Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WitP Question - 12/21/2018 2:24:13 AM   
tjhkkr

Hey guys,
Mr. Griggs used to put out War in the South Pacific and that was FANTASTIC...
Is this similar?

And my big question: how much control do you have over the air ops... for example, can one change the mission of a plane midday... if say you have a lot of your fighters chewed up, you can switch mission to keep the carrier/base from being blasted to kingdom come.

Thank you for answering...

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Post #: 1
RE: WitP Question - 12/21/2018 2:38:59 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

Hey guys,
Is this similar?

And my big question: how much control do you have over the air ops... for example, can one change the mission of a plane midday... if say you have a lot of your fighters chewed up, you can switch mission to keep the carrier/base from being blasted to kingdom come.

Hello and welcome.

This game is the successor to the original "War in the Pacific", which was itself a successor to "Uncommon Valor". Uncommon Valor dealt with the Southwest Pacific conflict and is something that many of us old timers 'cut our teeth' on. War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition outdoes them all with ease. It's the most immersive and comprehensive war game out there. Period.

There is as much control as you can reasonably stomach on pilot quality, mission profile, every ship, every plane and men to the squad level. It's a monster. A beautiful beautiful monster that will grab you and never let go. But it's not for the timid and there is a learning 'curve' alike no other. It's as much a way of life as it is a game.

Venture forth if you dare!

Welcome aboard.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 2
RE: WitP Question - 12/21/2018 3:49:34 AM   
bradfordkay

AE is a great improvement on the UV/WITP engine, but you cannot change orders mid-day. It is still the same "enter your orders and watch the day unfold" system it has always been.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3
RE: WitP Question - 12/21/2018 5:32:52 AM   
BBfanboy

Yes, the game is not designed as a tactical level game where you give orders hour by hour. It is a strategic level game (which means you are working on long-term objectives) that gives you operational control over many things down to the daily level. You can play multi-day turns if you want but most play one-day turns (because we are control freaks!)

Read some of the AARs that have lots of maps and annotations describing what is planned and what is happening. The tension in this game can run for days as both sides bring massive forces into play and jockey for position. Hope you decide to buy and join our addicts group!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 4
RE: WitP Question - 12/21/2018 1:10:06 PM   
Capt Hornblower

The answer to your first question is that War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition covers the whole Pacific Theater, from the US west coast to the east coast of Africa and the Persian Gulf. It is a successor to Uncommon Valor, which covers the same place and time as War in the South Pacific (also one of my favorite computer games of all time) but much more detailed, as one would expect of a game that came out about 15 years later.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 5
RE: WitP Question - 12/21/2018 1:22:22 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

Hey guys,
Is this similar?

Hello and welcome.

This game is the successor to the original "War in the Pacific", which was itself a successor to "Uncommon Valor". Uncommon Valor dealt with the Southwest Pacific conflict and is something that many of us old timers 'cut our teeth' on. War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition outdoes them all with ease. It's the most immersive and comprehensive war game out there. Period.

There is as much control as you can reasonably stomach on pilot quality, mission profile, every ship, every plane and men to the squad level. It's a monster. A beautiful beautiful monster that will grab you and never let go. But it's not for the timid and there is a learning 'curve' alike no other. It's as much a way of life as it is a game.

Venture forth if you dare!

Welcome aboard.

Speaking of the learning curve, I find that I learn something new every day....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 6
RE: WitP Question - 12/21/2018 3:11:57 PM   
rustysi

quote:

But it's not for the timid and there is a learning 'curve' alike no other.

Aka, 'learning cliff'.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 7
RE: WitP Question - 12/21/2018 5:51:35 PM   
Korvar

The only other similar 'learning cliff' in existence is the one for EVE Online. The below image could also apply to WITP:AE.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 8
RE: WitP Question - 12/22/2018 12:55:51 AM   
tjhkkr

I have been looking at this game for a very long time...
In War in the South Pacific, I just remember too many moments where there was a Japanese carrier force where it should not have been (Kudos to the AI) and had to dance (which also makes for fun moments)... One day seems like you could pass each other by and not see each other...

I am REALLY tempted to get this...

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Korvar)
Post #: 9
RE: WitP Question - 12/22/2018 1:47:31 AM   
USSAmerica

If you're tempted at all, grab it now, during the sale! It's an amazing deal at full price, but the sale price ($30 I believe) is an insane deal!

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 10
RE: WitP Question - 12/22/2018 10:04:40 AM   
LeeChard

If you liked 'Uncommon Valor' at all buy WitPAE today. You won't be sorry.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> WitP Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI