WitP Question (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

tjhkkr -> WitP Question (12/21/2018 2:24:13 AM)

Hey guys,
Mr. Griggs used to put out War in the South Pacific and that was FANTASTIC...
Is this similar?

And my big question: how much control do you have over the air ops... for example, can one change the mission of a plane midday... if say you have a lot of your fighters chewed up, you can switch mission to keep the carrier/base from being blasted to kingdom come.

Thank you for answering...

Chickenboy -> RE: WitP Question (12/21/2018 2:38:59 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

Hey guys,
Is this similar?

And my big question: how much control do you have over the air ops... for example, can one change the mission of a plane midday... if say you have a lot of your fighters chewed up, you can switch mission to keep the carrier/base from being blasted to kingdom come.

Hello and welcome.

This game is the successor to the original "War in the Pacific", which was itself a successor to "Uncommon Valor". Uncommon Valor dealt with the Southwest Pacific conflict and is something that many of us old timers 'cut our teeth' on. War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition outdoes them all with ease. It's the most immersive and comprehensive war game out there. Period.

There is as much control as you can reasonably stomach on pilot quality, mission profile, every ship, every plane and men to the squad level. It's a monster. A beautiful beautiful monster that will grab you and never let go. But it's not for the timid and there is a learning 'curve' alike no other. It's as much a way of life as it is a game.

Venture forth if you dare!

Welcome aboard. [8D]

bradfordkay -> RE: WitP Question (12/21/2018 3:49:34 AM)

AE is a great improvement on the UV/WITP engine, but you cannot change orders mid-day. It is still the same "enter your orders and watch the day unfold" system it has always been.

BBfanboy -> RE: WitP Question (12/21/2018 5:32:52 AM)

Yes, the game is not designed as a tactical level game where you give orders hour by hour. It is a strategic level game (which means you are working on long-term objectives) that gives you operational control over many things down to the daily level. You can play multi-day turns if you want but most play one-day turns (because we are control freaks!) [:D]

Read some of the AARs that have lots of maps and annotations describing what is planned and what is happening. The tension in this game can run for days as both sides bring massive forces into play and jockey for position. Hope you decide to buy and join our addicts group!

Capt Hornblower -> RE: WitP Question (12/21/2018 1:10:06 PM)

The answer to your first question is that War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition covers the whole Pacific Theater, from the US west coast to the east coast of Africa and the Persian Gulf. It is a successor to Uncommon Valor, which covers the same place and time as War in the South Pacific (also one of my favorite computer games of all time) but much more detailed, as one would expect of a game that came out about 15 years later.

btd64 -> RE: WitP Question (12/21/2018 1:22:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

Hey guys,
Is this similar?

Hello and welcome.

This game is the successor to the original "War in the Pacific", which was itself a successor to "Uncommon Valor". Uncommon Valor dealt with the Southwest Pacific conflict and is something that many of us old timers 'cut our teeth' on. War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition outdoes them all with ease. It's the most immersive and comprehensive war game out there. Period.

There is as much control as you can reasonably stomach on pilot quality, mission profile, every ship, every plane and men to the squad level. It's a monster. A beautiful beautiful monster that will grab you and never let go. But it's not for the timid and there is a learning 'curve' alike no other. It's as much a way of life as it is a game.

Venture forth if you dare!

Welcome aboard. [8D]

Speaking of the learning curve, I find that I learn something new every day....GP

rustysi -> RE: WitP Question (12/21/2018 3:11:57 PM)

quote:

But it's not for the timid and there is a learning 'curve' alike no other.

Aka, 'learning cliff'.

Korvar -> RE: WitP Question (12/21/2018 5:51:35 PM)

The only other similar 'learning cliff' in existence is the one for EVE Online. The below image could also apply to WITP:AE.

[image]https://i.imgur.com/3jtHGZ7.jpg[/image]

tjhkkr -> RE: WitP Question (12/22/2018 12:55:51 AM)

I have been looking at this game for a very long time...
In War in the South Pacific, I just remember too many moments where there was a Japanese carrier force where it should not have been (Kudos to the AI) and had to dance (which also makes for fun moments)... One day seems like you could pass each other by and not see each other...

I am REALLY tempted to get this...

USSAmerica -> RE: WitP Question (12/22/2018 1:47:31 AM)

If you're tempted at all, grab it now, during the sale! It's an amazing deal at full price, but the sale price ($30 I believe) is an insane deal! [&o]

LeeChard -> RE: WitP Question (12/22/2018 10:04:40 AM)

If you liked 'Uncommon Valor' at all buy WitPAE today. You won't be sorry.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI