Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: All things Football (soccer) related

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  120 121 [122] 123 124   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/22/2018 1:07:16 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFmYTjR2FAs
warspite1

So what is meant by posting that exactly?

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 12/22/2018 1:50:01 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 3631
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/22/2018 3:51:38 PM   
somdude

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Football is a wonderful sport.

Ditto :)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3632
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/22/2018 7:30:39 PM   
TulliusDetritus

The beast is unleashed (read, creativity) and Ole's horde scores 5 goals. Which never happened since Ferguson left.

Ah the human creativity and freedom...

More of this, Ole.

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 12/22/2018 7:31:11 PM >

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to somdude)
Post #: 3633
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/23/2018 12:01:02 AM   
terje439

quote:

The beast is unleashed (read, creativity) and Ole's horde scores 5 goals. Which never happened since Ferguson left.

More of this, Ole.

As a norwegian - agree
as a L'pool supporter - nah no more please

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

Post #: 3634
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/23/2018 5:22:13 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

quote:

More of this, Ole.

As a norwegian - agree
warspite1

Great professionalism from the United players - get the manager the sack by not bothering - and then turn it on when a new man is appointed. Imagine if the general public did that in their jobs.....

Personally I hope the Norwegian is a MASSIVE success (except when they play Spurs) so that the board decide to keep him and leave Poch alone

On a brighter note - good times for Liverpool it seems, and Man City's defeat yesterday didn't hurt did it?

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 3635
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/23/2018 6:24:55 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

On a brighter note - good times for Liverpool it seems, and Man City's defeat yesterday didn't hurt did it?

Not at all a bad weekend, however I still recall us leading the league untill the end and then stumble, so I am not happy untill the season is over

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3636
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/23/2018 9:50:16 AM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

This could be Liverpool's year

Still, good football (if Ole is capable of delivering it almost every week in the first place) does not automatically earn you titles. Just like the agricultural football proposals of you know who have been failing.

Just some fesh air and more watchable football. Imagine a world in which every team parked the bus The horror...

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 3637
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/23/2018 3:21:09 PM   
terje439

quote:

quote:

Still, good football (if Ole is capable of delivering it )

Fingers crossed

But to me the revival of Utd speaks lots about Mourinhos failure to get the support of his players. Ole uses the same players as were available to Mourinho after all.

Now ofc you could argue that the players should be giving it their best no matter who is in charge, but seems Mourinho fails to keep his stars happy year after year no matter what club.

Post #: 3638
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/23/2018 6:06:31 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Still, good football (if Ole is capable of delivering it )

But to me the revival of Utd speaks lots about Mourinhos failure to get the support of his players. Ole uses the same players as were available to Mourinho after all.

Now ofc you could argue that the players should be giving it their best no matter who is in charge, but seems Mourinho fails to keep his stars happy year after year no matter what club.
warspite1

I think it is too early to talk for certain about a revival - it was Cardiff City after all - but yes there is the inevitable question of whether Mourinho caused the problems with the players. And given what happened at Real, Chelsea the second time, and Man Utd, then its obvious he's not blameless. My point though is that the players are still (supposedly) professionals and (most definitely) receive obscene amounts of money to do a job. Whether they like the manager or not should not be a reason they have the option to simply down tools. That is disrespectful, and cheats, the fans who follow the club all over the world.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 3639
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/23/2018 9:28:56 PM   
VPaulus

quote:

I think it is too early to talk for certain about a revival - it was Cardiff City after all - but yes there is the inevitable question of whether Mourinho caused the problems with the players. And given what happened at Real, Chelsea the second time, and Man Utd, then its obvious he's not blameless. My point though is that the players are still (supposedly) professionals and (most definitely) receive obscene amounts of money to do a job. Whether they like the manager or not should not be a reason they have the option to simply down tools. That is disrespectful, and cheats, the fans who follow the club all over the world.

Ditto.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3640
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/24/2018 3:52:53 AM   
terje439

quote:

1. I think it is too early to talk for certain about a revival - it was Cardiff City after all

2. but yes there is the inevitable question of whether Mourinho caused the problems with the players. And given what happened at Real, Chelsea the second time, and Man Utd, then its obvious he's not blameless.

3. My point though is that the players are still (supposedly) professionals and (most definitely) receive obscene amounts of money to do a job. Whether they like the manager or not should not be a reason they have the option to simply down tools. That is disrespectful, and cheats, the fans who follow the club all over the world.

1. True, however Cardiff has won 4 of 5 home matches before they met Utd, also L'pool won 4-1 at Anfield, so 1-5 in Cardiff is quite good imo.

2. No doubt imo.

3. Absolutely, actually surprised that some of the players have not been fined for how they have acted (Pogba in peculiar), but alas, the players hold such power these days that some of them are in many ways bigger than the clubs. Sad for sure, but that is how football has become due to the money in the sport.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3641
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/25/2018 4:42:26 AM   
TulliusDetritus

In plain English: he's alienated his players. Basically everywhere aka this is a trend. In fact it's just the other side of the coin. What bought him success (psychology and propaganda, certainly not football, and that's Argentinian journalist Diego Torres' thesis) necessarily bought him doom.

He started, NOT his players

So not everyone is equally guilty.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 3642
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/25/2018 12:34:53 PM   
VPaulus

quote:

In plain English: he's alienated his players. Basically everywhere aka this is a trend. In fact it's just the other side of the coin. What bought him success (psychology and propaganda, certainly not football, and that's Argentinian journalist Diego Torres' thesis) necessarily bought him doom.

He started, NOT his players

So not everyone is equally guilty.

I'm not so sure who started it, but it was only with a few players, mostly the prima donna's and those who think that they have to play all games.
The players of nowadays are different from those 15 years ago. He needs to change his attitude and adapt to these new type of players. I'm not sure if he will, not because he isn't a smart guy, but because he's stubborn.
And to be honest the one who should have most of the blame, is Ed Woodward.

< Message edited by VPaulus -- 12/25/2018 12:39:18 PM >

Post #: 3643
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/25/2018 8:29:17 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: VPaulus
he's stubborn.

If his method was working he would have the right to be stubborn ie refuse to adapt.

He's in big trouble. He could not rally, inspire his horde at United and at Real only for a brief period of time before everything collapsed.

Compare this with the many Inter, Chelsea players that would have killed for him. He managed to truly inspire them. Not a single one of these players said they loved to be castrated (creativity out) or park the bus. To the last of them they mentioned they would fight to death for the manager. That was his real strength as a manager. And for some reason it's gone.

Time will tell if he can redeploy again his impressive psychological knowledge and go on to inspire another horde.

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 3644
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/26/2018 2:35:49 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

The draw for the Carabao Cup has been made and..... really???

Last year
Arsenal vs Chelsea
Manchester City vs Bristol City

This year
Spurs vs Chelsea
Manchester City vs Burton Albion

Another tough game ahead for Guardiola

How do they do the draw? Looks a bit suspicious to me.
warspite1

Lolz . No the draw is live on TV and I don't think for one moment its rigged. For a Spurs or Chelsea fan it's just annoying.

It was on live TV? Then there can be no foul play.

Bah.

I am not saying that they cheated. This is English football and I think it still has honour. But live TV draws are no guarantee that the draw isn't rigged. It sure can be made difficult to cheat in live TV draws. But usually it is a guy that picks ups balls from a bowl. And that has been cheated with plenty of times before, and in football draws. So as long they continue to use a method that it is easy to cheat with, then I am going to suspect that there is foul play involved. Otherwise they would move on to a safer method.

Anyway. Since I do not know what method that was used I really have no idea, one way or the other.

And I do truly believe that English football is somewhat more honourable than the average football association.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3645
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/26/2018 2:37:41 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

he's stubborn.

If his method was working he would have the right to be stubborn ie refuse to adapt.

He's in big trouble. He could not rally, inspire his horde at United and at Real only for a brief period of time before everything collapsed.

Compare this with the many Inter, Chelsea players that would have killed for him. He managed to truly inspire them. Not a single one of these players said they loved to be castrated (creativity out) or park the bus. To the last of them they mentioned they would fight to death for the manager. That was his real strength as a manager. And for some reason it's gone.

Time will tell if he can redeploy again his impressive psychological knowledge and go on to inspire another horde.

I think he should go to a club where he can work with a team. Perhaps a middle league club with few divas.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Post #: 3646
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/26/2018 3:09:34 PM   
terje439

quote:

quote:

quote:

he's stubborn.

I think he should go to a club where he can work with a team. Perhaps a middle league club with few divas.

Problem with that is that he himself is a diva, and I doubt he will accept a mid league team...

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3647
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/26/2018 3:18:08 PM   
VPaulus

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

he's stubborn.

Problem with that is that he himself is a diva, and I doubt he will accept a mid league team...

Indeed, that's the reason why after a week he have been fired we are still talking about it.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 3648
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/26/2018 3:57:18 PM   
terje439

Liverpool wins, Tottenham wins and moves to 2nd place, Ole Utd wins, and City loses.
Today is indeed a good football day

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 3649
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/26/2018 5:21:02 PM   
loki100

agree, this Association Football thing is rather spiffing these days

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 3650
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/26/2018 5:47:04 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

He burnt too many bridges but who knows: an epiphany?

City imploding

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3651
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/27/2018 6:46:35 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

warspite1

My elder little cruiser and I are firm KWP fans and have been for a couple of seasons now. We have been surprised at his lack of opportunities this season and particularly when he failed to start against Burnley (as a show of confidence by the manager after the Barce game).

But what a performance yesterday! I think he now has 5 assists in 5 Premiership appearances - and he could have scored yesterday too!!

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3652
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/27/2018 7:32:45 PM   
loki100

quote:

quote:

warspite1

My elder little cruiser and I are firm KWP fans and have been for a couple of seasons now. We have been surprised at his lack of opportunities this season and particularly when he failed to start against Burnley (as a show of confidence by the manager after the Barce game).

But what a performance yesterday! I think he now has 5 assists in 5 Premiership appearances - and he could have scored yesterday too!!

watching the highlights, what really stands out is how controlled each of his passes for the first 3 goals were, he created space, slowed it down and delivered a perfect pass - to do that once would have been impressive, to repeat it consistently shows real talent.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3653
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/28/2018 7:37:17 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

watching the highlights, what really stands out is how controlled each of his passes for the first 3 goals were, he created space, slowed it down and delivered a perfect pass - to do that once would have been impressive, to repeat it consistently shows real talent.
warspite1

My one concern is that, like Trippier, he is on the small side. However he does seem to be comfortable on the ball, is not without skill for a defender (his goal against Rochdale was well taken) and can pick out a pass. As you say, his delivery on Saturday was excellent.

Will he keep his place vs Wolves though?

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3654
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/29/2018 11:03:35 PM   
terje439

5-1 vs Arsenal...

< Message edited by terje439 -- 12/29/2018 11:04:15 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3655
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 1/4/2019 5:35:38 PM   
warspite1

The FA Cup 3rd Round starts tonight - and a potential banana skin for Tottenham; away to Tranmere Rovers....

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 3656
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 1/5/2019 7:17:25 AM   
warspite1

...phew, banana skin nicely avoided

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3657
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 1/9/2019 7:03:45 AM   
warspite1

Carabao Cup Semi-Final 1st Leg:

Tottenham Hotspur 1-0 Chelsea

VAR is coming to the Premier League next season..... well they better get it sorted because it is currently a shambles. Designed to ensure greater accuracy in decision making, it's actually proving as controversial as the old fashioned method (the Mk1 Eye-ball) its designed to replace....

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3658
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 1/9/2019 9:15:01 AM   
Piteas

Sadly, the VAR doesn´t seem the best solution. After one year, the experience in Spanish Liga isn´t good. The VAR is another source of discussions every week. The VAR warns, but it is not mandatory. The referee chooses (or not) to review the play in the VAR. So many dubious plays aren´t reviewed, others yes, depends on referee's pleasure... and his pride.

The only change is the public has another song now: "It was goal...Review the VAR, cabron!"

< Message edited by Piteas -- 1/9/2019 9:16:40 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3659
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 1/9/2019 6:05:09 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piteas

Sadly, the VAR doesn´t seem the best solution. After one year, the experience in Spanish Liga isn´t good. The VAR is another source of discussions every week. The VAR warns, but it is not mandatory. The referee chooses (or not) to review the play in the VAR. So many dubious plays aren´t reviewed, others yes, depends on referee's pleasure... and his pride.

The only change is the public has another song now: "It was goal...Review the VAR, cabron!"
warspite1

Interesting. Poch (who of course is close to Spanish football) was saying the same thing last night of La Liga - and that no one (top club or struggler) is happy with VAR.

(in reply to Piteas)
Post #: 3660
Page:   <<   < prev  120 121 [122] 123 124   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  120 121 [122] 123 124   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI