Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tutorials

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword >> The War Room >> Tutorials Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tutorials - 5/14/2017 1:57:34 PM   
kennonlightfoot

There have been a lot of requests for tutorials for the game. Hopefully some of the people wanting them are still checking the forums.

If so, what areas of the game are causing you problems?
Be as specific as you can so we can figure what is troubling players.

Kennon
Post #: 1
RE: Tutorials - 5/14/2017 2:16:49 PM   
zakblood

always here

(in reply to kennonlightfoot)
Post #: 2
RE: Tutorials - 5/18/2017 5:47:46 PM   
bazjak

Hi
Im the one moaning a lot about no tutorial
What i would like to see is a basic walkthrough rather than the so called one you have now
I know things are not easy to do and as i have no way of knowing how to write code i wont begin to to preach to you
Just a way to show that if i move A to there what will happen and what will likely be the outcome and what would B likely do in return
If you had a tutorial like Battlefront that would be amazing but i wont expect that
Thanks for responding but please dont leave it so long as you have probaly lost a lot of people but i want to play this

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 3
RE: Tutorials - 5/18/2017 5:59:22 PM   
zakblood

quote:

Just a way to show that if i move A to there what will happen and what will likely be the outcome and what would B likely do in return

this game isn't like that i'm sorry to say, if you move an infantry unit to let say point A and at point A in range is an enemy unit, there is a chance it will fire on unit B, but there is also a chance it won't, with unit B having the same options, as FOW and command and control or lack of it comes into play, while at first it seems quirky in the end it does portray combat quite well in the time, as even if you had perfect view, the men on the ground and commander in charge of the said men don't or didn't always do as asked, as they may see something else more important or just refuse to do it all together and do there own thing.

this for me is why a basic tutorial falls apart, as you can't say for sure that a given thing will ever really happen either, as you don't have that much control, you can lead a unit to a given point and ask it to do something when it's there, but it doesn't always do as asked either on the way, or when or if it gets there.

replayability in this game is very high, as you never get the same thing happen, no matter if you try your hardest to do a set plan even, as what you ask you don't always get, they fire at the wrong time, at the wrong units, face the wrong way you wish when your making so many units in a line to advance, if the commander of the unit on the ground thinks something else is better, they do that, and really makes you mad at times, but also makes you feel this is how the war in the time must also have been.

(in reply to bazjak)
Post #: 4
RE: Tutorials - 5/18/2017 8:06:16 PM   
kennonlightfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: bazjak

Hi
What i would like to see is a basic walkthrough rather than the so called one you have now
I know things are not easy to do and as i have no way of knowing how to write code i wont begin to to preach to you
If you had a tutorial like Battlefront that would be amazing but i wont expect that
Thanks for responding but please dont leave it so long as you have probaly lost a lot of people but i want to play this

Since I am not in any way connected to BaB, I obviously can't create any kind of "in game" tutorial. My thinking was more along the lines of posted step by step instructions leading the player through the game. Hopefully showing them some of the tricks and mechanisms of the game along the way. Creating a posting thread is the easiest way to do this.

I might look into trying to make a video tutorial but I have never done that before so don't know whether I can. Also, whether there is enough interest to justify the time to do this.

What I am looking for in the thread is some identification of what is causing people problems with the game.
Hopefully some of the people who have been asking for a tutorial will be revisiting the forums and answer.

Kennon

(in reply to bazjak)
Post #: 5
RE: Tutorials - 10/26/2017 10:42:09 AM   
bazjak

quote:

ORIGINAL: kwhitehead

quote:

ORIGINAL: bazjak

Hi

Since I am not in any way connected to BaB, I obviously can't create any kind of "in game" tutorial. My thinking was more along the lines of posted step by step instructions leading the player through the game. Hopefully showing them some of the tricks and mechanisms of the game along the way. Creating a posting thread is the easiest way to do this.

I might look into trying to make a video tutorial but I have never done that before so don't know whether I can. Also, whether there is enough interest to justify the time to do this.

What I am looking for in the thread is some identification of what is causing people problems with the game.
Hopefully some of the people who have been asking for a tutorial will be revisiting the forums and answer.

Hi sorry im a bit late responding to your comment re tutorials its because im so despondent with this that i dont even look at this forum as no one see to make any comments on the game
Why do you think that is -its becouse people like myself who have this game cant make head or tail of it
So yes a step by step walkthrough would be great
It might even open up more sales for the game
But looking at the lack of responses from the developers i doubt it

Post #: 6
RE: Tutorials - 11/3/2017 3:07:29 AM   
nicwb

Um, this topics been vented a lot but have you looked about the net for alternative help?

When the game was released there was a very good walk through video of one of the basic scenarios. It was and is at the Slitherine games site of utube. It took the player through a step by step series of moves as I recall.

There are also a couple of let's plays on utube - one by the Historicalgamer a very good utube strategy gamer with an interest in the civil war.

(in reply to bazjak)
Post #: 7
RE: Tutorials - 11/3/2017 5:02:42 AM   
zakblood

agreed, there's more than plenty out on the games working, but as most still want more, even with a good manual and videos being done, that's there right, but it's a time issue and hopefully once a given task has been completed, it will be re looked at maybe

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 8
RE: Tutorials - 10/29/2018 5:37:17 PM   
Firebri

There are some good videos on You Tube about this game.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 9
RE: Tutorials - 10/29/2018 5:45:54 PM   
zakblood

yes thanks, i always forget about them

(in reply to Firebri)
Post #: 10
RE: Tutorials - 10/29/2018 6:06:33 PM   
Firebri

Quite a good one by Ian Bowes.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 11
RE: Tutorials - 10/29/2018 6:15:50 PM   
zakblood

i'm glad to see people still playing it, as of yet, so far nobody imo has done one as good, game wise or anywhere near as realistic, again imo only mind you

(in reply to Firebri)
Post #: 12
RE: Tutorials - 10/29/2018 6:18:22 PM   
Firebri

I'll wait until the next Matrix sale, then make a purchase

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 13
RE: Tutorials - 10/29/2018 6:23:48 PM   
zakblood

not have to wait long then, look forward to hearing how you get on and what you think of it, as still plenty playing it, but forums gone dark, so needs someone with some passion to play and post, if i had the time, i would, but spam post too much now tbh

(in reply to Firebri)
Post #: 14
RE: Tutorials - 10/29/2018 6:41:10 PM   
Firebri

Christmas time sale ?

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 15
RE: Tutorials - 10/29/2018 6:47:36 PM   
zakblood

November sometimes normally, but may change, i don't know for sure, just going by other years etc

(in reply to Firebri)
Post #: 16
RE: Tutorials - 10/29/2018 6:48:09 PM   
zakblood

as per this post,

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4547614

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 17
RE: Tutorials - 10/29/2018 6:53:38 PM   
Firebri

Thanks for that Zakblood.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 18
RE: Tutorials - 10/29/2018 6:54:46 PM   
zakblood

np, and i also hope for you that it's on the list too, forum may get more hits now it's gone in alphabetical order maybe

(in reply to Firebri)
Post #: 19
RE: Tutorials - 11/14/2018 10:17:37 AM   
bazjak

Iv just reloaded Forge of Freedom which is by the same company and theres not even a tutorial in that game
Could never get unto that game either
Why do i bother

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 20
RE: Tutorials - 12/30/2018 6:41:28 PM   
THOMMILES01

Hi,

I am trying to figure out the mechanics behind facing. I saw a tutorial on YouTube and discovered that you could sort of change facing by right clicking on the 'face' of the unit's leader but it only lets you change that way once per turn and seems almost at random which face your unit changes. Help!

Post #: 21
RE: Tutorials - 1/5/2019 10:14:28 AM   
bazjak

quote:

ORIGINAL: THOMMILES01

Hi,

I am trying to figure out the mechanics behind facing. I saw a tutorial on YouTube and discovered that you could sort of change facing by right clicking on the 'face' of the unit's leader but it only lets you change that way once per turn and seems almost at random which face your unit changes. Help!

This is what i mean about a step by step tutorial
Something along the lines of an John Tiller walkthrough or a walkthrough from BattleFront
That type of thing will do wonders as if theres something you dont understand you go back to the printed pages and redo it again

(in reply to THOMMILES01)
Post #: 22
RE: Tutorials - 1/5/2019 11:24:04 AM   
nicwb

quote:

Hi,

Thommiles01 - yeah you have to right click on the side of the hex you want you're unit to face. However (i)turning costs movement points -so you need to have enough left to complete the move (ii) from recollection changing facing also costs extra points if you have skirmishers out -so you need to be wary of how many points you have.

The walkthrough video on the Matrix youtube site is pretty good for getting a basic feel for the game.

(in reply to bazjak)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword >> The War Room >> Tutorials Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI