Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 1/18/2019 9:32:06 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Can't all of these units be purchased after their destruction?

It's been too long since an Allied GC turn so I'm not certain. The Dutch units you want out ASAP, they can work wonders being air transported around Oz and SWPAC. The US forces should be candidates for resurrection, but I forget if there's something about HQ's that prevents it.

They can all be bought back. it's just that some arrive at Manila, and the Dutch don't have a lot in reserves, so the units end up a bit small. Still, support troops are universal, so air support can be filled in regardless.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 331
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 1/18/2019 9:33:59 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

quote:

While the game is far more interesting, here's some Sync Bug info. Here I'm loading the next turn that Dave sent. There's an error message. I don't see anything about an 1126a. Is he properly patched?

This indicates the problem. You are using version 1126a and your opponent is using version 1124. You will need to revert back to version 1124 or you will have sync problems. Or Dave could patch to 1126a.

This could be a problem for your sync bugs in our game too. I get this message each turn. I think we went over this but didn't get it sorted a good while back.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 332
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 1/18/2019 9:37:55 AM   
obvert

quote:

I don't want the slightest hint of what's coming. It's far more fun if it's just completely a surprise. Erik and Dave are meticulous in not tipping anything, which I appreciate a lot.

Same phrase with no other comment every turn email sent; "here is the next"

Helps me not tip my hat that I'm trying to do something in the next turn too. Works both ways.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 333
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 1/18/2019 10:11:39 AM   
RangerJoe

Of course, with an up to date AAR, a lot of activity can indicate something big happening. Or, even 6 pages of a discourse on various trees or whatever else people would ramble on about.

Interesting about bombarding at Singapore. I have always evacuated to Palembang against the computer. Two Indian divisions (the 9th and the 11th) usually work effectively against the computer.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 334
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 1/19/2019 4:10:11 PM   
Canoerebel

1/24/42 to 1/27/42

A busy three days with plenty of ominous developments for the Allies and one encouraging item, as the Japanese cross the causeway to attack Singapore:

Singapore: The Japanese bring two divisions (5th and Imperial Guards) and lots of regiments. Most of the regiments get chewed up. Japanese losses are heavy. Allied forts (now at 3.95) aren't touched. The big Allied units - two Indian divisions and two Aussie brigades - are in good condition. Supply is 199k.

The attack will allow Dave to bring in reinforcements without triggering future shock attacks. Overall, though, this is a good result.

More about the ominous developments to follow in a bit.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 335
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 1/19/2019 4:27:29 PM   
Canoerebel

1/24/42 to 1/27/42

Other than Singapore, things took a turn for the bleak.

China: The Japanese broke through the Chinese MLR east of Sian. I'm going to have real problems here now. The breakthrough is into open terrain, so the Chinese will have to stand at Sian (forts 3 at the moment). The Japanese will get behind the other Chinese MLR position in the woods to the south, but I'm going to try to hold there as long as possible. China is a big concern.

Burma: A rag-tag bunch of poor Indian and Burmese units have withstood a couple of deliberate attacks at Rangoon. The next attack should succeed, at which point the battered Allied units will be subject to air attack and utter destruction. But the main goal has been to slow the Japanese using "expendables."

DEI: As anticipated, KB showed up, just SE of Soerabaja. I had enough foreshadowing to pull out the capital ships, leaving behind some DD and CL/DD TFs to keep the enemy honest. Under a CAP of about 130 mixed fighters, KB has launched a couple of attacks that managed to sink a bunch of coastal minesweepers and put one bomb on CL Tromp. And about 20 Betties got chewed up.

Mini KB is just east of Palembang, where the enemy landed in strength on the 27th. So Dave has committed the forces necessary to take full control of this theater.

Elsewhere: I'll take steps to augment defenses here and there. Midway, which has two Marine CD units, will get the Bobcats engineer battalion (to work on forts). Pago Pago will get a RCT that's already 100% prepped. I'll scrounge to find a few decent units to go to Tahiti. And I'll look for ways to create a strongpoint or two in the upper Aleutians.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 336
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 1/19/2019 11:46:07 PM   
Bif1961

You game is about a week behind my own and I am the Allies so it is interesting to see how your game is progressing and maybe I can get a few ideas from you. I would say his attack on Singapore with less troops than my opponent had went almost 3 times worse as my opponent only lost 5,000 and I lost 1,000 in the first attack. That was slightly earlier than yours though my forts were 3+. It is now 4 feb 42 and he is getting better results with each attack about every 3rd day and the forts are now down to 1. Even though the initial odds were 1-2 they are almost 1-3 but the loses are crawling closer with each attack him 5,000 me 3,000+. I assume he brought in some fresh units to do some of the later attacks and moved out whatever units that need some rest and rebuilding. My supply is ok at 44,000 tons and it goes down about 1,000 tons a day. I hope to last at least past the historical date of 15 feb.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 337
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 1/21/2019 3:16:26 PM   
Canoerebel

It's a lot of fun comparing my game to other games that are in proximity, so thanks for posting.

If your Lady Lex is still afloat, please don't mention it. Still. Too. Painful.

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 338
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 1/21/2019 3:26:59 PM   
Canoerebel

1/28/42 to 1/31/42

Synopsis: Dave had strong combat/carrier TFs positioned on each side of Borneo, allowing his TFs to invade Palembang and Ambon without serious opposition. Those invasions are nearing an end and most of his combat power is pulling back to replenish, giving me a brief window to address what I can.

Singapore: No further enemy attacks. Hurricanes came in from India via Port Blair and Sumatra. They did ugly things to a few enemy air strikes. Supply at 197k.

Philippines: This is going to be ugly. Clark Field supply is down to 5k. When it falls, Dave can release two or three divisions to join the Singers siege.

Burma: Enemy army, anchored by 33rd Div., takes Rangoon against poor-quality Allied units that retreat to Bassein. There they are switching to Strat Mode to make their escape. Most of them should make it.

Sumatra: Three successive enemy attacks haven't taken Palembang; the fourth should.

Java: 4th IJA Div. moved south to Jakarta again but didn't have the oomph to take it from a modest Dutch army. This foolishness will continue a little longer. Next visit by full KB and Friends should seal the deal.

China: The Japanese are advancing on Sian from the east but thus far the MLR hasn't totally collapsed.

Overall: The opening months has been a mixture of ragged and robust for both sides. The two things that most alarm me at the moment: China and Philippines. Elsewhere the Allies have been fighting effectively, delaying the enemy at a cost that should be acceptable.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 339
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 1/21/2019 4:26:52 PM   
Bif1961

My opponent skipped the PH attack and used the KB to attack Manila, he decided 40+ fleet subs are a better target than a handful of old BBs, and the target rich PI environment after 7 Dec, 8 Dec that side of the international dateline. Which by the way is not an app to date foreign women. So his emphasis has been more there then following PH attack, though he left the swarms of subs around PH for 6-8 weeks. I did have a problem like you as he clean killed the Big E with 3 sub toprs as I was moving in to attack the Marshalls and try to catch small amphibious TFs as they went about their early war business. Then to add insult to injury he put two torps into the Yorktown as she tried to leave the west coast and now I am down 2 carriers. So in other words things could be worse. Like you he has assaulted into Singapore but you seem to be in better shape there than I do. Also he took Clark after I threw him out and then ran short of supplies. Then he went to Bataan and the daily artillery duel was too much in my favor so he pulled out and will let me starve before coming back to sweep up the VPs and skeletons. However, in my game he has not attack Java or Sumatra proper, but how far off could the be? I also finally got some Dutch sub luck putting multiple torps into a CVL and CA recently. For the first 6 weeks he was running around DEI if he had an anti-torp force-field. In the other side of the map he has taken as far south as Nhedi in northern New Hebrides, Funafuti and Terapo. He has not taken PM yet but has taken Ambon and threatening Balikpapan. Burma almost totally collapsed and China is holding it's own for now until the supply situation deteriorates along with the Burma road. So he is entering Phase two of his opening moves all the easier targets are taken or under siege now he has to plan and advance and finish the Burma, DEI and PAC historic conquests before moving to what next with my victory fever should I try to take.

< Message edited by Bif1961 -- 1/21/2019 4:59:20 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 340
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 1/21/2019 4:28:42 PM   
Lecivius

I am curious if all the attcks against Pelambang are gonna wreck the oil production. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 341
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 1/21/2019 6:17:36 PM   
Uncivil Engineer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

I am curious if all the attcks against Pelambang are gonna wreck the oil production. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Very high probability. In my current game against the AI on hard, I landed with 2 divisions, and as the AI hadn't bothered to reinforce Palembang with anything, I took it right away (24 Dec 41), and still had a decent amount of damage. In fact, I'm still repairing the refinery and oil field (now 8 Mar 42), although on days where supply is close to 10k I only repair oil, not the refinery.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 342
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 1/21/2019 9:43:46 PM   
RangerJoe

Put Dutch bombers on night, city attack, with the range to only hit Palembang so when it is taken, the very next night you start bombing.

Remember, if he is trying to starve you out somewhere, ONE sub a day dropping supplies should allow all combat forces but especially the larger divisions to have at least one unit of supply to fight with full effectiveness.

A lot of small, sub laid minefields laid immediately after Singapore falls between Malaya and Sumatra in every non-base hex could be a little aggravation. Especially if you can get coverage by night bombing PBYs/DOs or US Torp laden PBYs. These would also scout and help guide in subs and/or PT boats.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Uncivil Engineer)
Post #: 343
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 1/21/2019 9:46:47 PM   
RangerJoe

I also think that there are three Dutch MTBs with a depth charge rack apiece. Try to save those since they work effectively against the minisubs left behind at bases that you have captured. Why risk a larger vessel and the MTBs are very maneuverable.

― Julia Child

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 344
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 1/22/2019 4:02:23 PM   
pontiouspilot

You should have enough at Singapore. I wouldn't try to get 18th into Singapore. In my experience Japan will need 6-8 full divisions with full support to kick down the door. He will have to concentrate much of his 2 engine fleet to bomb for months also. You may wish to get out any Engs/Bfs in excess of what needed if you can. I try to get them out to DEI or Christmas/Coco Is./Pt Blair. Hopefully you have a DEI base close enough to circulate some air units in and out as required. I will wager that you are still drinking Singapore slings at your favorite bar in May '42.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 345
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 1/22/2019 4:26:49 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

Singapore: The Japanese bring two divisions (5th and Imperial Guards) and lots of regiments. Most of the regiments get chewed up. Japanese losses are heavy.

This is exactly why recombining IDs as soon as possible is necessary. All the talk here and there about parts being equivalent to whole, yet regiments really get trashed a lot in the attacks where divisions are more or less ok.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 346
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 1/22/2019 4:40:36 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

quote:

Singapore: The Japanese bring two divisions (5th and Imperial Guards) and lots of regiments. Most of the regiments get chewed up. Japanese losses are heavy.

This is exactly why recombining IDs as soon as possible is necessary. All the talk here and there about parts being equivalent to whole, yet regiments really get trashed a lot in the attacks where divisions are more or less ok.

+1

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 347
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 1/22/2019 5:07:45 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

quote:

If you go back to Andy Mac's old AAR's, you'll even get him going as far as to say that the game code tends to favour bigger units

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 348
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 1/22/2019 5:49:06 PM   
RangerJoe

When forming divisions, there are frequently added devices with give the whole more padding than the parts. That is one case where the sum of the parts is greater than the parts by themselves.

― Julia Child

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 349
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 1/23/2019 12:03:58 AM   
Canoerebel

18th UK Division exemplifies the "Wal-Mart on Ice" aspect of this game. It's not going to Singers, but it's been everywhere else:

1. The transport TF at game-start approached Sumatra.
2. I decided the division could best used at Rangoon, and diverted the TF into the Bay of Bengal.
3. The enemy established airfields too close to Rangoon, so the TF diverted to Chittigong. It unloaded there and the various units combined to form 18th Div.
4. Almost immediately, I had second thoughts - might the division be used to effect in Java? The TF went into strat mode and re-boarded the TF.
5. The TF returned to the IO via the Bay of Bengal, steaming east well south of Sumatra and then Java.
6. KB approached Java, and I didn't have any good use to put 18th Div. to there.
7. The TF diverted to Perth, arriving today. It will unload and the division will serve as an important theater reserve somewhere obscure, to keep it out of harm's way.
8. 27th USA Div. and two Australian divisions will anchor the early defense of India.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 350
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 1/23/2019 12:52:06 AM   
Bif1961

The British 18th Division is your best Division from the start and where to place it is always a nail biter. You don't want it to die in place as a speed bump and the reinforcements squads trickle in so you don't want it trashed either, but yet it is so good you want to use it. I have allowed it to die in place at Plamenbang before and seen it used in northern Burma around Katha to stop the Japanese from taking northern Burma. I have used it in the mountains of Sumatra to delay his conquest as the Dutch don't surrender like they actually did in the war. So you have them wondering the IO like the nation of Israel in the desert.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 351
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 1/23/2019 12:54:56 AM   
RangerJoe

The 18th UK division theme song "I'm so dizzy, my head is spinning!" At least that is better than in real life where it was destroyed and not rebuilt.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 352
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 1/23/2019 12:58:01 AM   
Canoerebel

Yow! They are the Hebrews in search of the Promised Land- one flowing with milk and honey.

To this point in the game, I've been sending reinforcements to India but none to Oz. With Singers looking stout for awhile, I think Dave won't have big designs in India. But he's moved pretty quickly to take Port Moresby. He also has Ambon. So Oz could stand some help.

18th will report to someplace like Melbourne and train for awhile.

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 353
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 1/23/2019 3:27:03 PM   
Bif1961

Well then you can keep the British promise to support their ally Australia while the Aussies have been supporting them since 3 September 1939 against Nazis, and landing Australia isn't bad duty for them as they train and have tea time.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 354
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 1/23/2019 4:32:17 PM   
RangerJoe

Not tea time, Fosters and Sheilas on the beach!

― Julia Child

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 355
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 1/23/2019 4:42:28 PM   
Bif1961

Testing new icon. Didn't work

< Message edited by Bif1961 -- 1/23/2019 4:44:15 PM >

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 356
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 1/23/2019 4:43:46 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Dumb question - How did 'Sheila' become the generic name for Australian women?

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 357
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 1/23/2019 6:38:58 PM   
RangerJoe

It is not a dumb question and I don't know the answer.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 358
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 1/23/2019 6:40:39 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Dumb question - How did 'Sheila' become the generic name for Australian women?

quote:

Sheila

Sheila — Australian slang for "woman", is derived from the Irish girls' name Síle (IPA: [ʃiːlʲə], anglicised Sheila).

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 359
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 1/25/2019 9:01:15 PM   
Canoerebel

2/1/42 to 2/5/42

SigInt: A real intel coup about Marcus Island (see graphic).

The war is going fairly well for the Allies. Dave surges forward, lands on (and usually takes) a base or two, and then retires to replenish and bringin in the next wave. He's proceeding methodically, due in part to the threat of Allied resistance. The Allies have problems here and there but nothing catastrophic yet, I think.

China: The Chinese are pressing hard at two points east of Sian. I think Dave will besiege this city. What I don't know, yet, is whether he has the supply to take it and exploit the situation. I'm hoping his schwerpunkt is occupied at other, tough MLR points, but I'm not sure yet.

Burma: The Japanese have taken Rangoon and Toungoo and are pressing north, slowly. The Allies are fighting with small, inferior units. I'm concentrating elsewhere, so Dave will succeed here.

Port Blair: Enemy strike aircraft roughed up a small transport TF that nevertheless managed to land about half of Madras Construction Battalion. This is needed to augment fort building to protect the riff-raff Indian brigade garrison

Singers: Dave hasn't attacked since crossing the causeway. Allied fighters occasionally put in an appearance, usually to good effect. Forts at 4.24. Supply 195k. AV is 1200.

Sumatra: The enemy took Palembang with only slight losses to oil and refinery.

Java: This remains the center of Allied resistance. I've been able to use modest CAP at Soerabaja to protect a motley assembly of DDs and one CL. Dave deployed KB on several occasions to strike, but scored no hits to speak of while expending sorties and losing aircraft. He holds Semereng. He'll come in strength soon. Until he does, this is a thorn in his side.

Philippines: He hasn't attacked Clark Field yet, where supply is about gone.

DEI: His little amphib force hasn't been able to take Ambon yet. Today it failed on a shock attack.

Pacific: Bobcats engineer unit inbound to Midway, but it's taking forever and forever to get there. The Marines need augmented fort-building capacity.

Elsehwere, Dave is very quiet - SWPac, SoPac, CenPac, NoPac. He seems to have his hands full in the DEI, at the moment.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 360
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI