Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 >> RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress Page: <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/8/2019 9:47:51 AM   
Big Ivan

Crossroads,

Yes I would. I have the Merks and Teacher scenario out there that I would love to learn how the lua files work.
Also I have about 15 or so Random Battles in CSME I could experiment with too. Random battles IMO would make a nice
and safe venue to work with lua.

A dedicated forum thread would be a very positive undertaking to help us CSME enthusiasts with working with these files.

That having been said, I think once a few of us CS diehards see how lua works and most likely how easy it is others may
jump in and try it for their designs. I'm hoping a lot of it would be copy and paste but don't know that for sure.

Good stuff going forward my friend!

Blitz call sign Big Ivan.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 931
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/8/2019 11:13:55 AM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big Ivan

Crossroads,

Yes I would. I have the Merks and Teacher scenario out there that I would love to learn how the lua files work.
Also I have about 15 or so Random Battles in CSME I could experiment with too. Random battles IMO would make a nice

A dedicated forum thread would be a very positive undertaking to help us CSME enthusiasts with working with these files.

That having been said, I think once a few of us CS diehards see how lua works and most likely how easy it is others may
jump in and try it for their designs. I'm hoping a lot of it would be copy and paste but don't know that for sure.

That's one point I had and will address again; to show the community that with the .lua scripting alone it's a game changer. I also have to get into it at some stage for potential tutorials and as a promotion aid.

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to Big Ivan)
Post #: 932
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/8/2019 2:15:20 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

Crossroads,

That's what we're hoping for as well!

Granted, for Middle East 2.0 CSEE was just finished, so there's the few scenarios using it. All the Bootcamp scenarios and all the Teaching Set scenarios, for one. Also the Crisis in Sirte scenarios, albeit just the first one with a more expansive set.

That said, the Event Engine has expanded tremendously with the CS Vietnam development, and it is there where the first full set of CSEE enabled scenarios truly will shine, with AI having battle plans, and an ability to react to events taking place even with more detail.

I will put the first post for the new CS Event Engine How-To thread out this weekend. Let us start small, and build from there

(in reply to Big Ivan)
Post #: 933
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/8/2019 4:29:49 PM   
Oberst_Klink

... and remember letting me (#Twitter) and Jason (FB) know in order to spread the word.

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 934
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/8/2019 8:35:12 PM   
Crossroads

Sure thing, herr Klink!

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 935
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/9/2019 12:10:08 AM   
Big Ivan

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 936
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/11/2019 6:20:05 AM   
Jason Petho

Campaign Series Vietnam: ALPHA graphics. Here is the latest on the III Corps area master map. A lot of focus has been centered on the southeast area of the map, including the northern reaches of the Rung Sat swamp. Here is the Bien Hoa Air Base, with northern part of Long Binh in the southeast part of the screenshot.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Big Ivan)
Post #: 937
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/11/2019 11:39:24 PM   
Jason Petho

The Morning Calamity - Battle of Michelin Rubber Plantation

November 27, 1965

[Michelin Rubber Plantation, South Vietnam]: [SIDE A/H2H][HIS][CSL]: The 272nd VC Regiment was reported operating in the 31,000 acre Michelin Rubber Plantation, 72 kilometres northwest of Saigon. The 7th ARVN Regiment , with a handful of U.S. Advisors, were trucked in with the task of clearing the plantation and hunting down the VC Regiment. A few days of cat and mouse skirmishes lead to a few captured caches and a handful of casualties. Bivouacking for the night, the battalions of the regiment were scattered throughout the plantation, the 3rd Battalion in various positions to the north along a tributary of Suoi Cau Trac that flowed past the hamlet of Ap 14 Chanh. It wasn't until dawn that the nature of the situation was revealed. The cover of night allowed the battalions of the 272nd to surround the ill-fated 7th Regiment and launch their surprise attack. [ALL][CSEE, Variable Objectives] [NOTE: None] [1.00]

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Big Ivan)
Post #: 938
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/11/2019 11:55:55 PM   
Jason Petho

Additional Note to the above:

The defeat of the 7th ARVN Regiment lead to Operation Bloodhound /Bushmaster II a week later where elements of the 3rd Brigade were hunting the Regiment to the southeast of the plantation. There is where the U.S. 2d/2d Infantry made heavy contact, which is the subject matter of the next scenario.

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 939
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/12/2019 6:28:52 PM   
Jason Petho

Campaign Series Vietnam: ALPHA Graphics: Design Decision

In the previous post, there was reference to the follow on engagement of the U.S. 2d/2d Infantry and VC 272 Regiment. The screenshot below shows the area where the battle took place, basically in the woods northwest of Ap Nha Mat.

You will notice how large the rest of the map is (considering it is a couple battalion sized engagement) and you'll notice that a lot of the scenario maps are significantly larger than what you'd expect to find, in particular if you're coming from the World War 2 games. This is a scenario design decision to help manage the newer features, such as helicopter operations.

To the southeast of the battle area is Lai Khe, which served as a FOB for the helicopter gunships that were supporting the operation. As helicopters will need to refuel/rearm, we need to include a place for them to do so.

Sure, I could throw a supply unit in a clearing in the middle of a jungle, but we are striving for accuracy.

To the northwest was where the artillery firebases for the operation were established. I could just use offboard artillery to represent those guns, but where's the fun in that!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Jason Petho -- 2/13/2019 4:13:47 PM >

Post #: 940
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/12/2019 11:33:59 PM   
Big Ivan

Nice Jason, works for me!

Post #: 941
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/13/2019 4:13:22 PM   
Jason Petho

Thank you, John!

(in reply to Big Ivan)
Post #: 942
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/14/2019 8:05:15 AM   
Andrea G

For me it makes sense to have a larger map even if almost devoid of units to have the historical FOB and shuttle the choppers back and forth even if it will lenghten the playing time.

Post #: 943
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/14/2019 8:54:34 AM   
comte

I agree with the above posters better to have the bigger map.

But when Territories are acquired in regions where there are differences in language, customs, and laws then great good fortune and much hard work are required to hold them.

-Machiavelli, Il Principe, Book III-

(in reply to Andrea G)
Post #: 944
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/14/2019 1:04:04 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrea G

For me it makes sense to have a larger map even if almost devoid of units to have the historical FOB and shuttle the choppers back and forth even if it will lenghten the playing time.

They play an important role here, and we wanted to for instance make the various helo makes and models to sound distinctive. That whup-whup-whup of approaching Hueys? It's there

quote:

Movement Categories (parameter -13)

17movement* - Helicopter, single rotor two blades
18movement* - Helicopter, single rotor three or more blades
19movement* - Helicopter, single rotor piston engine
20movement* - Helicopter, tandem rotor

(in reply to Andrea G)
Post #: 945
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/14/2019 10:31:10 PM   
Jason Petho

Campaign Series Vietnam: ALPHA graphics: Planning Map!

I finished the Ia Drang master map (the bottom portion of the NW II Corps master map) and took some time to create this overview for you. This will be the primary base map for all the Ia Drang related scenarios. This export is 25% of the original size.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 946
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/14/2019 11:56:41 PM   
benpark

I love a good map. That's a very good map.

"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey

Post #: 947
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/15/2019 12:28:51 AM   
Jason Petho

Thank you so much!!

So much effort is going into mapping is really next level!

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 948
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/15/2019 7:12:33 AM   
Big Ivan

Wow Jason Now that's a map!

Crossroads, whup-whup-whup back to you.

You know when this game comes out I'll have to get my Billy Joel CD with Good Night Saigon playing in the background.

Post #: 949
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/15/2019 1:49:48 PM   
Jason Petho

Thank you, John!

(in reply to Big Ivan)
Post #: 950
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/15/2019 8:19:14 PM   
Jason Petho

Campaign Series Vietnam: ALPHA graphics:

After finishing the Ia Drang area to make progress on the NW II Corps map, in particular, the mountainous area south of Dak To. Unfortunately, I have come to the realization the map has maxed out the 50 elevation levels available in the map editor.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 951
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/15/2019 8:29:16 PM   
76mm

What is the max size of those maps, in terms of hexes and kilometers/miles?

Post #: 952
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/15/2019 8:57:29 PM   
Jason Petho

The NW II Corps master map is 220 x 560 hexes which equals 55km x 140km

The Ia Drang master map (the southern portion of the II Corps map) is 220 x 140 hexes which equals 55km x 35km

The III Corps master map is 580 x 720 hexes which equals 145km x 180km

The I Corps master map (DMZ) is 440 x 420 hexes which equals 110km x 105km (this will need to be expanded, eventually)

There are a number of other master maps included, but those above are the largest.

< Message edited by Jason Petho -- 2/15/2019 8:59:40 PM >

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 953
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/16/2019 8:45:56 AM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

The NW II Corps master map is 220 x 560 hexes which equals 55km x 140km

The Ia Drang master map (the southern portion of the II Corps map) is 220 x 140 hexes which equals 55km x 35km

The III Corps master map is 580 x 720 hexes which equals 145km x 180km

The I Corps master map (DMZ) is 440 x 420 hexes which equals 110km x 105km (this will need to be expanded, eventually)

There are a number of other master maps included, but those above are the largest.

Jason, could you have a look at this? A question for you.

https://twitter.com/BurdenOfCommand/status/1096540446145167360

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.

Post #: 954
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/16/2019 4:08:32 PM   
Jason Petho

I use the 1:50,000 topographic maps that were produced by the US Army during the war.

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 955
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/17/2019 11:55:31 AM   
Crossroads

Build time again for all games under development, meaning new BETAs for CS Vietnam and CS Middle East (2.01 UPDATE), and new ALPHAs for CS East Front and CS Cold War.

Or, new builds for our Modern and WW2 game engines, put another way. As we work towards the eventual release of the Vietnam game, with all new code, graphics, and features added, we keep the other versions up to date and run automated tests on those as well.

Here's a fresh look for the current BETA for the CS Middle East 2.01 UPDATE. I've resized the original 3440x1440 screenshot, but otherwise what you see is what you will get, too. This is the 3D Zoom-in view, with large toolbar. Also note the unit list on the right - edit: err, on the left - is extended as there's more screen estate than compared to the regular HD monitors with 1920x1080 screen sizes.

it is, at CS Legion.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Crossroads -- 2/17/2019 11:57:02 AM >

Post #: 956
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/17/2019 12:21:51 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

--snip--

Or, new builds for our Modern and WW2 game engines, put another way. As we work towards the eventual release of the Vietnam game, with all new code, graphics, and features added, we keep the other versions up to date and run automated tests on those as well.

Perhaps not that interesting, but showing this anyway. There's a ton of (as in: thousands of) various files, some common, some unique to each game. Instead of creating each and all game install manually, we've standardized our development environment so that each and all our team members, from Europe, US, Canada, create and update their stuff in their specified locations. Then we have this pretty complex script that, for each game, goes and picks each and all required bits and parts and puts them together for a new install.

What used to take days is now a matter of minutes

quote:

petrin@elvis-iv:~/CSlint$ more buildCS_all
~/CSlint/buildCS.pl -g ef
~/CSlint/buildCS.pl -g me
~/CSlint/buildCS.pl -g vn
~/CSlint/buildCS.pl -g cw
petrin@elvis-iv:~/CSlint$ ./buildCS_all

Creating /mnt/c/Matrix Games/_CSLDEV/Campaign Series East Front ...

Starting at: Sun Feb 17 12:51:36 2019

copying Executables
copying Data
copying Graphics
. copying Map Graphics
.. all Default
.. biome Taiga
.. region WEur
.. region EEur
.. region NEur
. copying UI Graphics
. copying Unit Graphics, OOBs, and Pictures
.. General purpose and animations
.. 02 Soviet Union
.. 18 German Reich
.. 20 Poland
.. 31 Hungary
.. 41 Finland
.. removing cruft
copying Manual
copying Mods
copying Scenarios
copying Sounds
copying Texts
copying Tools
encrypting all 'ef' data and platoon files

Finished at: Sun Feb 17 12:53:32 2019

New /mnt/c/Matrix Games/_CSLDEV/Campaign Series East Front created!

Creating /mnt/c/Matrix Games/_CSLDEV/Campaign Series Middle East ...

Starting at: Sun Feb 17 12:53:32 2019

copying Executables
copying Data
copying Graphics
. copying Map Graphics
.. all Default
.. biome Desert
.. biome Mediterranean
.. region NAfr
.. region WAsia
. copying UI Graphics
.. 08 France
.. 09 UK
.. 14 Pro-West
.. 22 Israel
.. 23 Egypt
.. 24 Iraq
.. 25 Jordan
.. 26 Syria
.. 27 Lebanon
.. 28 Pro-East
.. 29 Libya
.. 30 Algeria
.. NOTIFICATION: Skipping 57 Iran for now (content in DLC only)
.. removing cruft
copying Manual
copying Mods
copying Scenarios
copying Sounds
copying Texts
copying Tools
encrypting all 'me' data and platoon files

Finished at: Sun Feb 17 12:56:23 2019

New /mnt/c/Matrix Games/_CSLDEV/Campaign Series Middle East created!

Creating /mnt/c/Matrix Games/_CSLDEV/Campaign Series Vietnam ...

Starting at: Sun Feb 17 12:56:23 2019

copying Executables
copying Data
copying Graphics
. copying Map Graphics
.. all Default
.. biome SubtropForest
.. biome TropRainforest
.. region EAsia
.. region SEAsia
. copying UI Graphics
.. 00 China
.. 08 France
.. 10 United States
.. 11 South Vietnam
.. 12 South Korea
.. 13 Laos
.. 17 New Zealand
.. 19 Australia
.. 21 North Vietnam
.. 49 Cambodia
.. 50 Thailand
.. removing cruft
copying Manual
copying Mods
copying Scenarios
copying Sounds
copying Texts
copying Tools
encrypting all 'vn' data and platoon files

Finished at: Sun Feb 17 13:00:18 2019

New /mnt/c/Matrix Games/_CSLDEV/Campaign Series Vietnam created!

Creating /mnt/c/Matrix Games/_CSLDEV/Campaign Series Cold War ...

Starting at: Sun Feb 17 13:00:18 2019

copying Executables
copying Data
copying Graphics
. copying Map Graphics
.. all Default
.. biome Desert
. copying UI Graphics
.. 08 France
.. 09 UK
.. 10 United States
.. removing cruft
copying Manual
copying Mods
copying Scenarios
copying Sounds
copying Texts
copying Tools
encrypting all 'cw' data and platoon files

Finished at: Sun Feb 17 13:02:49 2019

New /mnt/c/Matrix Games/_CSLDEV/Campaign Series Cold War created!

petrin@elvis-iv:~/CSlint$

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 957
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/17/2019 4:36:16 PM   
Big Ivan

quote:

Build time again for all games under development, meaning new BETAs for CS Vietnam and CS Middle East (2.01 UPDATE), and new ALPHAs for CS East Front and CS Cold War.

Here's a fresh look for the current BETA for the CS Middle East 2.01 UPDATE. I've resized the original 3440x1440 screenshot, but otherwise what you see is what you will get, too. This is the 3D Zoom-in view, with large toolbar. Also note the unit list on the right - edit: err, on the left - is extended as there's more screen estate than compared to the regular HD monitors with 1920x1080 screen sizes.

it is, at CS Legion.

Question: My rig max resolution is 1600 x 900. I'm wondering how that newer improved larger tool bar will appear. I imagine it will be doubled up in 2 lines
not because of the bar itself but the resolution. I'm really liking that new tool bar that's why I'm curious.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 958
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/17/2019 5:20:54 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

Question: My rig max resolution is 1600 x 900. I'm wondering how that newer improved larger tool bar will appear. I imagine it will be doubled up in 2 lines
not because of the bar itself but the resolution. I'm really liking that new tool bar that's why I'm curious.

Actually, that's the Toolbar that came with Middle East 2.0, there's been no changes to that. It scales per your display, so if there's less width it then splits to two rows.

What I am showing here is a so called ultra wide monitor, 3440 pixels wide, compared to your 1600 for instance. So having a bit over double the width compared to yours, even the Large Toolbar fits one row. With HD, 1920 pixels of width, the Small Toolbar just fits one row, IIRC.

It is all dynamic, to put all the above to one short sentence

(in reply to Big Ivan)
Post #: 959
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/17/2019 5:58:41 PM   
Big Ivan

OK makes sense.

If I stick with my laptop rig 1600 x 900 is all I get. No problem. Maybe I can hook up to a wider stand alone screen or I think there is a way
to play through my TV which has a 42" wide screen. I thought I remember one of the CS guys talking about that.

At any rate I do like the new look in wide your showing. Same for the post at CS East Front on the other forum.

Thanks Crossroads!!

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 960
Page:   <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 >> RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress Page: <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI