Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A quick question regarding tracers...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> A quick question regarding tracers... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A quick question regarding tracers... - 6/18/2001 1:25:00 AM   
Gumby3D

Hay there, Um my mate and I had a 1v1 game of Sudden-Strike the other night, Germans vs Russians, ack he stomped me... I just couldn't get those panzers through the forest fast enough... ANYHOW! I forgot to turn on my screenshot taker (I try and have it one everytime I play SuSt cause it's a very pretty game) but I managed to get a pretty decent screenshot (using trusty old print screen of course) of the Russians emerging from the woods and I decided to spruce it up a little and well I went a smidge overboard and I turned it into a night time shot. It looks great but the thing is there was one tracer shot in the picture and it looked great when I messed around with it and I though well hmm, I should add some more, now just curious, IIRC MG's had tracers but did submachine guns or rifles? I know they do now, but way back in the day I'm a little foggy about... Any help would be much appreciated! Cheers ~Gumby3D

Post #: 1
- 6/18/2001 1:53:00 PM   
Igor

For rifles it would be a waste of money; you can't walk a burst from a single shot weapon. As for SMGs; the ammo existed, but i've never heard of anyone using it in battle. For a good deal more money, more rapid fouling of the barrels, and a slightly higher casualty rate among your infantry; you would be buying a trivial increase in accuracy under very rare circumstances. Long range fire under bad lighting wasn't the best use of a SMG, and wasn't done very often.

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 2
- 6/18/2001 8:59:00 PM   
Guardsman

Neither rifles or SMG's used tracer rounds and to my knowledge this is still the case today.

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 3
- 6/18/2001 9:32:00 PM   
Gumby3D

Thanks for the reply... ;c) I believe I've seen traces for an MP5 somewhere... I'll check around thoughm I don't think I'm mistaken... Cheers ~Chris

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 4
- 6/19/2001 5:15:00 AM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by Guardsman: Neither rifles or SMG's used tracer rounds and to my knowledge this is still the case today.
.45 cal tracers have a waxy paint on the nose of the bullet instead of burning chemicals in the rear. While on NROTC cruise: I saw a MCPO shoot skeet off the side of a destroyer years ago while underway with a m1911 handgun. The tracers left a red smokey trail through the air for about 50 yards. He clipped a few of the birds but never cleanly broke any. When I was issued a sidearm for watch while we were tied up to the dock, the chief in charge of the watch detail showed me the rounds we had loaded and they were the tracers. Not as good as a laser sight, but that was in the days before laser sights. thanks, John.

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 5
- 6/19/2001 6:39:00 AM   
G Van Horne

Before Canada changed from the FN C1 7.62 mm, to the C7, it was normal for each guy to carry a few tracers. Instead of directing fire to " 2 o'clock, lone tree, etc,etc... we would just say "watch my tracer"...

What's the weight of a pull-thru?

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> A quick question regarding tracers... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI