Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Sardaukar's another Newbie Campaign 3rd take)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Sardaukar's another Newbie Campaign 3rd take) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sardaukar's another Newbie Campaign 3rd take) - 3/21/2019 9:50:51 PM   
Sardaukar

OK, will keep posting later what happens during next turns...unless too boring stuff :D

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 3/21/2019 9:58:02 PM >

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 61
RE: Sardaukar's another Newbie Campaign 3rd take) - 3/21/2019 10:42:02 PM   
RangerJoe

Stockpile Chinese infantry squads but let them take support squads. They need the support for what they have, they do not have enough supply to support larger units. The stockpiled squads can later be used to fill out the bought out units in India to give them big muscles to use to retake Burma.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 62
RE: Sardaukar's another Newbie Campaign 3rd take) - 3/22/2019 11:44:08 AM   
Macclan5

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lawless1

You thoughts on the two HQ (AHQIndia and India Command) stationed in Dielhi, do you leave them
there or send them south?

Just sent them both to Chittagong, planning to move them to Rangoon when I am sure place holds.

Great question...

If I recall correctly they are 'expensive to buy out' especially when political points are at a premium early in the game i.e. where you may wish to constitute an Australian Division or 2 and buy them out - or an American west coast division.

Chittatong - no buy out - does not cost anything so clearly that is one good option.

In my more recent detail orientated games - I also find one of them AHQ India to be invaluable in Ledo in the long run.

You may / could / end up concentrating a significant portion of transports there and building Ledo up to level 9. The AHQ adds invaluable air support for swarms of planes while freeing up precious British / Indian base forces and RAF support squads which can be moved about.

In both cases there is no buy out cost - but they become 'anchored there'

< Message edited by Macclan5 -- 3/22/2019 11:46:43 AM >

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 63
RE: Sardaukar's another Newbie Campaign 3rd take) - 3/22/2019 1:19:06 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Stockpile Chinese infantry squads but let them take support squads. They need the support for what they have, they do not have enough supply to support larger units. The stockpiled squads can later be used to fill out the bought out units in India to give them big muscles to use to retake Burma.

This seems confusing to me. Support and supply are distinctly different.

Many Chinese units that are severely under strength in the way of combat squads are also severely overstocked with support squads. I can't tell you how many units I have found with 150 combat squads and 500 support squads, but I know its a lot.

I find the reverse disparity, more combat squads than support squads, to be far less prevalent.

At least that is how they seem to be structured in scenario 40.

Hans

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 64
RE: Sardaukar's another Newbie Campaign 3rd take) - 3/22/2019 2:42:14 PM   
RangerJoe

Hans,

In most scenarios that I have played, there is not enough support for the Chinese units unless they are in a base with at least one HQ. If you have lots of units there, there still may not be enough support. Many of the support squads are also disabled, hence the other squads and devices do not perform effectively and are slower to become undisabled.

So, at least initially, don't let your average Chinese infantry units take squads since the Chinese really don't have enough supply anyway. Rather, let them take support squads and use what support and supply that they do have to activate disabled squads. So save the squads (pulse them in by changing your replacement and stockpile settings if you need to) and use the squads saved to go into the Chinese units that get supply from India. You could also pulse them into units for your final defensive line before Chungking/Changsa to make it even harder to evict those heavily dug in units.

I also like to wait until a Chinese unit gets to 50 experience to take replacements. I know that they can lower the overall experience level but at least they are more effective than going to units with much lower experience. I think that the 50 experience level makes it easier for them to pass certain checks, but I don't know this for sure.

Yes, supply and support are different. Support allows what is there to use the supply effective to do certain tasks - including fighting. But support is also important for other devices to use what supply is there to become active and not stay disabled. So by increasing the total number of squads and keeping the amount of supply the same, there is less supply for each device allowing fewer disabled devices to become active. Inactive devices are just points waiting to be harvested while active ones can generate points for you in combat.

Joe

― Julia Child

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 65
RE: Sardaukar's another Newbie Campaign 3rd take) - 3/22/2019 4:28:35 PM   
BBfanboy

+1 Ranger Joe. At about 50 Experience the Chinese units seem to get a lot better in morale and can hold in good terrain.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 66
RE: Sardaukar's another Newbie Campaign 3rd take) - 3/22/2019 7:28:19 PM   
Sardaukar

Also remember that units start to train their exp and morale when reaching 100 prep points and if under national upper limits.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 67
RE: Sardaukar's another Newbie Campaign 3rd take) - 3/22/2019 7:30:44 PM   
Sardaukar

I fast-forwarded quite a bit, so it's now Jan 30 142.

Here is save for the start of the turn without me giving yet more orders.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h0h8qzf3092jlkj/wpae009.pws?dl=0

It goes to slot 9, so if you have something in that slot, rename the file to slot that is free.

I try to explain what happened in next posts.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 68
RE: Sardaukar's another Newbie Campaign 3rd take) - 3/22/2019 7:37:08 PM   
Sardaukar

Here is strategic map:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 69
RE: Sardaukar's another Newbie Campaign 3rd take) - 3/22/2019 7:53:00 PM   
Sardaukar

Burma:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 70
RE: Sardaukar's another Newbie Campaign 3rd take) - 3/22/2019 7:59:55 PM   
Sardaukar

Singapore and Sumatra.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 71
RE: Sardaukar's another Newbie Campaign 3rd take) - 3/22/2019 8:06:53 PM   
Sardaukar

DEI:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 72
RE: Sardaukar's another Newbie Campaign 3rd take) - 3/22/2019 8:18:41 PM   
Sardaukar

N. AUS and Port Moresby area:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 73
RE: Sardaukar's another Newbie Campaign 3rd take) - 3/22/2019 8:25:40 PM   
Sardaukar

China mess...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 74
RE: Sardaukar's another Newbie Campaign 3rd take) - 3/22/2019 8:32:35 PM   
Sardaukar

Philippines and Score screen:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 75
RE: Sardaukar's another Newbie Campaign 3rd take) - 3/22/2019 8:42:28 PM   
Sardaukar

Other things for future:

- I am using Auckland as fuel hub for AUS and of course for NZ same. In previous game I lost 12 TK in and around Suva when KB came to visit suddenly, so no Suva this game.
- Other sub bases will be Colombo (of course), PH (of course) and when they get build later, Midway and Adak I.

I have now CVs Lexington, Enterprise and Yorktown to use in SW Pacific area. I don't plan any Coral Sea, just hitting vulnerable invasions and covering my supplies to Port Moresby. Caveat about using Lexington in SWPac. It is too big to fit into Sydney repair yard, so if something happens to it...it's long trip to PH.

I am going to use 6th and 7th AUS Div in Burma, 6th is already shipping to India, bu will be some time before it gets into battle.

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 3/23/2019 4:47:03 AM >

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 76
RE: Sardaukar's another Newbie Campaign 3rd take) - 3/22/2019 8:49:13 PM   
Sardaukar

This is important in China:

Once a unit reaches 100 planning points, it may conduct training to increase it’s experience rating. Each nationality has a basic experience value that their units can train to without having to be in combat. As long as you are under this value and have 100 planning points, there is a chance the unit will gain experience. The following table details the maximum level a unit may train to, based on its Nationality:
IJ Army 55 IJ Navy 50 US Navy 50 US Army 60 US Marines 65 Australian 65 New Zealand 55 British 55 French 55 Dutch 50 Chinese 45 Soviet 60 Indian 55 Commonwealth 55 Philippines 45 Canada 50

That is reason that in early war, I don't change unit objectives. Lot of Chinese units are 30-35 exp.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 77
RE: Sardaukar's another Newbie Campaign 3rd take) - 3/22/2019 10:24:41 PM   
Sardaukar

Forgot to add that Dutch sub had gotten lucky. CV Akagi is no more.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 78
RE: Sardaukar's another Newbie Campaign 3rd take) - 3/23/2019 1:14:51 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Sardaukar: I have now CVs Lexington, Enterprise and Yourktow ...

Is that Yorktown's deformed twin sister? So sad ...

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 79
RE: Sardaukar's another Newbie Campaign 3rd take) - 3/23/2019 2:17:59 AM   
Bif1961

Wasn't the Yorktow the DD that got sunk trying to tow it and fell victim to the same sub that ended the Yorktown's days?

< Message edited by Bif1961 -- 3/23/2019 2:18:29 AM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 80
RE: Sardaukar's another Newbie Campaign 3rd take) - 3/23/2019 2:41:24 AM   
RangerJoe

I try to keep the Sims class DD Hammann away from Yorktown and both of them away from I-168 when I play the Allied side. The Hammann was alongside trying to help with damage control and torpedoes went underneath her to hit the Yorktown in almost the same places as she was damaged in the Coral Sea battle. Except it appears that with the list, the torpedoes actually struck the bottom of the Yorktown's hull. The Yorktown had been abandoned but did not want to sink until then.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 81
RE: Sardaukar's another Newbie Campaign 3rd take) - 3/23/2019 4:47:35 AM   
Sardaukar

Great that I have online spellchecker on forum!

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 82
RE: Sardaukar's another Newbie Campaign 3rd take) - 3/25/2019 1:34:38 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

This is important in China:

Once a unit reaches 100 planning points, it may conduct training to increase it’s experience rating. Each nationality has a basic experience value that their units can train to without having to be in combat. As long as you are under this value and have 100 planning points, there is a chance the unit will gain experience. The following table details the maximum level a unit may train to, based on its Nationality:
IJ Army 55 IJ Navy 50 US Navy 50 US Army 60 US Marines 65 Australian 65 New Zealand 55 British 55 French 55 Dutch 50 Chinese 45 Soviet 60 Indian 55 Commonwealth 55 Philippines 45 Canada 50

That is reason that in early war, I don't change unit objectives. Lot of Chinese units are 30-35 exp.

Sardaukar,

Your readers should read my post #11 in this thread

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4595667&mpage=1&key=�

which goes into more detail re LCU experience gain and planning points.

Alfred

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 83
RE: Sardaukar's another Newbie Campaign 3rd take) - 3/25/2019 10:22:20 PM   
Sardaukar

Thanks Alfred!

You are the living encyclopedia of WitP-AE and everyone should pay attention. People, read that link and what Alfred writes.

I still after these years remember that I was able to correct you *once*

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 84
RE: Sardaukar's another Newbie Campaign 3rd take) - 3/26/2019 11:10:07 AM   
Sardaukar

I'll post situation and save from end of Feb 42 1942 when getting there, just like end of Jan. I am now Feb 19 1942.

So far been one of the most interesting games I have had against AI. I don't think I have encountered this specific AI script before (AFAIK there are 13 of those, made by AndyMac)

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 85
RE: Sardaukar's another Newbie Campaign 3rd take) - 3/27/2019 8:47:11 AM   
Sardaukar

Here is save from March 1 1942 (slot 10):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kzm5uktts7qws23/wpae010.pws?dl=0

Have fun if interested!

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 86
RE: Sardaukar's another Newbie Campaign 3rd take) - 3/27/2019 8:55:07 AM   
Sardaukar

Burma:

I have over 2000 AV there, so not losing this one...and that's not counting 6th and 7th AUS Divisions plus 2 Indian divisions en-route.

Have to get something to Port Blair before Japanese do...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 87
RE: Sardaukar's another Newbie Campaign 3rd take) - 3/27/2019 9:00:03 AM   
Sardaukar

Java:

Japanese have presence here..but in minor numbers. I can deal with that.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 88
RE: Sardaukar's another Newbie Campaign 3rd take) - 3/27/2019 9:02:21 AM   
Sardaukar

China has stabilized:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 89
RE: Sardaukar's another Newbie Campaign 3rd take) - 3/27/2019 9:04:33 AM   
Sardaukar

China has been stabilized:

Note the massive difference of supply situation when holding Rangoon and having supply route to China open. No exclamation marks.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 3/27/2019 9:06:15 AM >

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Sardaukar's another Newbie Campaign 3rd take) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI