Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT: USCGC Icarus brings the first German POWs of WW2 into the US

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: USCGC Icarus brings the first German POWs of WW2 into the US Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT: USCGC Icarus brings the first German POWs of WW2 i... - 4/4/2019 3:10:29 AM   
spence

https://coastguard.dodlive.mil/2017/11/the-long-blue-line-cutter-icarus-and-the-sinking-of-u-352/

Among some of the minor irks I have with this game is the short shrift that the US Coast Guard has received in the computer world of WitP/WitP:AE. I'm sure that "old navy hands" feel a like unhappiness with the ratings that are accorded many ships etc so I'll excuse myself. But two of the "Packenschlag" were sunk by the same class of USCG cutter and the increased losses suffered by the Kreigsmarine almost certainly contributed to Doenitz's decision to shift the focus of his Uboats efforts to the Caribbean.

I just wanted to point out to those that don't know that the first German POWs taken in the @nd World War by US forces were captured when the USCGC Icarus sank the U-352 in May of 1942. Only one Uboat was sunk previously by US forces (USS Roper) but that Uboat sank with all hands. I should add that another Uboat was sunk by the USCGC Thetis in June of 1942 (also with all hands). In the 'vanilla' version of WitP:AE none of this class of cutter (165 ft Thetis class) appears at all in the game although there were 5 on the West Coast.
Post #: 1
RE: OT: USCGC Icarus brings the first German POWs of W... - 4/4/2019 6:23:50 AM   
Kursk1943

I saw another famous USCG ship, the Ingham on my trip to Key West March this year. Inham sank several Uboats and also participated in Vietnam War. Unfortunately not able to upload pictures because of size restrictions.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 2
RE: OT: USCGC Icarus brings the first German POWs of W... - 4/4/2019 2:05:10 PM   
m10bob

Dad in law Al Brew was a "Coastie" aboard the U.S.S.Wakefield when she was bombed by the Japanese at Singapore soon after the attack on Pearl Harbor.
The original WITP, (prior to AE) did not even have this historic ship...the civilian luxury steamer SS manhattan, which once held the steam passenger liner speed record!)
Later, this ship took the Second Marine Division to Wellington N.Z.
At least one mod (RHS) has many Coast Guard vessels identified with a "CG"in their names.
According to the Coast Guard website, at least half of all U.S. landing craft were manned by Coasties, and that site lists them all by number.
My dad went close enough to Omaha Beach aboard the Coast Guard manned LCI 91 to swim in...(as it was sunk offshore.)

The old joke passed around by the USN was that the Coast Guard was the "shallow water navy"(which was not the case.
Following the navies joke was the question..."Why were all Coast Guardsmen over six feet tall?"...Answer was "So if sunk, they could walk in."

Well into his eighties, Al may have had an inch of height on me, and I am 6'2", lol.

(in reply to Kursk1943)
Post #: 3
RE: OT: USCGC Icarus brings the first German POWs of W... - 4/4/2019 11:14:54 PM   
spence

The Coast Guard is the hard core about which the Navy forms in time of war.

USCG 83 ftr in Rescue Flotilla 1 off Omaha Beach on 6/6/44.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by spence -- 4/4/2019 11:15:25 PM >

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 4
RE: OT: USCGC Icarus brings the first German POWs of W... - 4/4/2019 11:38:56 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

The Coast Guard is the hard core about which the Navy forms in time of war.

USCG 83 ftr in Rescue Flotilla 1 off Omaha Beach on 6/6/44.

OK - I give up; What's in the wooden crate in the metal cradle, ready to be slingshotted at the enemy? Snakes? Inflatable love dolls? Paper board copies of WITP-AE?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 5
RE: OT: USCGC Icarus brings the first German POWs of W... - 4/5/2019 1:47:02 AM   
spence

quote:

OK - I give up; What's in the wooden crate in the metal cradle, ready to be slingshotted at the enemy? Snakes? Inflatable love dolls? Paper board copies of WITP-AE?

Before my time. The last 83 ftr was decommissioned in 1963.

If you're interested the history of Rescue Flotilla One appears in the link below.

http://uscg83footers.org/d-day.htm

I sorta wonder if the photo has anything to do with the perjorative term "Puddle Pirates" that the Navy uses to feel better about themselves.

< Message edited by spence -- 4/5/2019 1:48:05 AM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6
RE: OT: USCGC Icarus brings the first German POWs of W... - 4/5/2019 2:02:19 PM   
fcooke

Could it be a litter of some sort? She was working in a rescue role.....

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 7
RE: OT: USCGC Icarus brings the first German POWs of W... - 4/5/2019 2:37:37 PM   
MakeeLearn

A hatch to the lower level.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 8
RE: OT: USCGC Icarus brings the first German POWs of W... - 4/5/2019 2:40:34 PM   
MakeeLearn

Oui?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 9
RE: OT: USCGC Icarus brings the first German POWs of W... - 4/5/2019 4:21:53 PM   
BBfanboy

Da!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 10
RE: OT: USCGC Icarus brings the first German POWs of W... - 4/6/2019 5:08:43 PM   
rustysi

quote:

the perjorative term "Puddle Pirates"

C'mon Spence, there're 'nicknames' for every branch of the service. Me I'm a 'ground pounder'... Add the rest if you like.

I must admit I didn't know of that particular name for 'Coasties' for quite some time. It was told to me by a 'Coastie', and is one of my favorites.

Here's a neat little story I have about the CG. While I was in HS back in the day many young guys went to join the CG before being drafted. Figured it'd get them out of Nam.

Well none of them asked whose coast they might be guarding. Myself, as a youngen', I used to read the paper. Now don't get me wrong, it was mostly the sports section, but I at least browsed the rest. Well one feature just behind the sports was a weekly POW list. Used to see, to my surprise, lots of 'Coasties' in there, and that made me do some research. Oh, riverboats in the 'Delta', yeah, no thanks.

So, I get it, all branches of service had their elements of danger. Doesn't mean we can't poke fun at each other. Does it?

Hell, I'll even go one further. I was in that greatest of oxymoron's, 'Military Intelligence'.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 11
RE: OT: USCGC Icarus brings the first German POWs of W... - 4/7/2019 11:19:38 PM   
spence

quote:

C'mon Spence, there're 'nicknames' for every branch of the service. Me I'm a 'ground pounder'... Add the rest if you like.

Oh I know and have used the assorted "perjorative" upon occasion. I'd heard the term "puddle pirates" previously but seeing the skull and crossbones on those guys' helmets and on the side of their ship got me wondering if the term originated on D-Day or before that or after that.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: USCGC Icarus brings the first German POWs of WW2 into the US Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI