Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Mushrooms over Maizuru: Chickenboy (J) vs. AcePylut (A)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Mushrooms over Maizuru: Chickenboy (J) vs. AcePylut (A) Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Mushrooms over Maizuru: Chickenboy (J) vs. AcePylut... - 4/10/2019 8:37:54 PM   
AcePylut

Another 2 days of "supply invasions" led to many more hits on his transports. Other than his CVtf and SCtf, he's pulled back since then.

In other exciting news - a new Sigint appeared... "21st Army planning for an attack on Calcutta" and a BBtf bombarded Chittagong.

Today's game date is 4/1/42. April Fools Day. Time to do some uprades day. :)

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 391
RE: Mushrooms over Maizuru: Chickenboy (J) vs. AcePylut... - 4/12/2019 1:33:26 AM   
AcePylut

Here's where we stand on March 2nd. I flew in a group of Cats for some nav search, and they discovered the KB a couple hundred miles S/SW of Wake. The two IJ sc tf's are just small fry, PB/PC types trying to play games with my 6 subs. To the NE is a 2 DD tf of mine that was going to head into Wake to clear out the IJ small fry, but since I see his KB, I'm withdrawing back... as are my two small re-supply tf's that were to follow behind my dd's pending no other enemy sighting.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 392
RE: Mushrooms over Maizuru: Chickenboy (J) vs. AcePylut... - 4/15/2019 12:41:49 AM   
AcePylut

Here's a look at China -

Yellow lines represent the first line of defense, purple lines are the 2nd line of defense. So far so good.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 393
RE: Mushrooms over Maizuru: Chickenboy (J) vs. AcePylut... - 4/15/2019 12:42:27 AM   
AcePylut

An interesting tidbit of sigint... some Japanese HQ is planning for an attack on Calcutta.

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 394
RE: Mushrooms over Maizuru: Chickenboy (J) vs. AcePylut... - 4/15/2019 8:45:43 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: AcePylut

Here's a look at China -

Yellow lines represent the first line of defense, purple lines are the 2nd line of defense. So far so good.

Looks OK.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 395
RE: Mushrooms over Maizuru: Chickenboy (J) vs. AcePylut... - 4/15/2019 8:49:23 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: AcePylut

An interesting tidbit of sigint... some Japanese HQ is planning for an attack on Calcutta.

Where's he at in Burma?

I think I'm in the right region. Let's see. Any reports or movement toward Dacca or Diamond Harbor(?)?

Any site of the KB lately? Could it be headed on its IO 'tour'?

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 396
RE: Mushrooms over Maizuru: Chickenboy (J) vs. AcePylut... - 4/15/2019 9:07:08 PM   
AcePylut

The KB has been sitting off of Wake Island for the last couple of weeks. The Mini-KB, not sure. A Cl/DD raider entered the IO about 3 weeks ago and tagged about 5-6 transports of mine. 3 days ago a 2 BB sctf bombarded Chittagong. Rangoon holds but is surrounded and cut-off. Mandalay will come under assault shortly. I've pulled everything back to the Imphal region to fight it out in the jungle and forests.

No other sigint or moves towards anything else in India. Deigo Garcia is mine and well reinforced. 2 CD units, 2 Inf Regiments, plenty of supplies, good forts.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 397
RE: Mushrooms over Maizuru: Chickenboy (J) vs. AcePylut... - 4/17/2019 12:19:06 PM   
AcePylut

April 2nd rolls around:

An IJ 2BB/2CA tf bombarded Wake. The IJ troops bombarded - which showed me that their troops have recovered their landing disablements rather well. I suspect a deliberate attack coming shortly. I'm out of supplies.

2 hexes SE of Sian, in China, the IJ attacked and booted me out of the hex.

< Message edited by AcePylut -- 4/23/2019 2:19:18 AM >

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 398
RE: Mushrooms over Maizuru: Chickenboy (J) vs. AcePylut... - 4/23/2019 2:20:42 AM   
AcePylut

April 3rd saw Wake get bombarded by BB's... followed up by an IJ attack.... this is the result:

Ground combat at Wake Island (136,98)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 6733 troops, 74 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 240

Defending force 3016 troops, 138 guns, 10 vehicles, Assault Value = 99

Japanese adjusted assault: 44

Allied adjusted defense: 173

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 3 (fort level 4)

Combat modifiers
Defender: forts(+), disruption(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
3282 casualties reported
Squads: 97 destroyed, 92 disabled
Non Combat: 12 destroyed, 52 disabled
Engineers: 7 destroyed, 7 disabled
Guns lost 47 (13 destroyed, 34 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
40 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Assaulting units:
144th Infantry Regiment
64th Naval Guard Unit
62nd Naval Guard Unit
67th Naval Guard Unit
17th Naval Construction Battalion

Defending units:
Wake (Det.) Defense Battalion
3rd Marine Defense Battalion
Wake USN CPNAB
4th Marine Defense Battalion

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 399
RE: Mushrooms over Maizuru: Chickenboy (J) vs. AcePylut... - 4/23/2019 1:05:49 PM   
AcePylut

Here's what baffles me - my guys at Wake Island are out of supply. I checked, there were "19" supplies left on the atoll. I wonder why I don't have the (-) for supply on my combat modifiers.

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 400
RE: Mushrooms over Maizuru: Chickenboy (J) vs. AcePylut... - 4/23/2019 4:17:20 PM   
Bif1961

It might be they were fully supplied at the time of the attack but won't be again since it now reads 19.

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 401
RE: Mushrooms over Maizuru: Chickenboy (J) vs. AcePylut... - 4/23/2019 4:33:32 PM   
Lecivius

In any event, I bet it bent his cookies

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 402
RE: Mushrooms over Maizuru: Chickenboy (J) vs. AcePylut... - 4/23/2019 8:05:53 PM   
AcePylut

I've been out of supplies for about a week now. I know I didn't have any when the turn began.

And if it couldn't get any worse from CB....

April 4th: Wake Island

IJN (2) BB 4 (CA) + DD's bombard Wake.

Then, in the afternoon/evening phase, another invasion occurs. My out-of-supply CD's light up the invasion ships again (heavily damaged at least 4 transports, 2 of them are on fire). Not too many troops make it ashore, but it still triggers an auto-shock.

During the combat phase, the assault collapsed and the invading unit fragment was destroyed.

My Marines on Wake - they still persist. I have a 2 DD 2 AK transport fleet sitting about 8 hexes NE of Wake. If I can get a break, I will send them in there (If I don't get a break, well, thanks for the effort boys, we'll get you back after the war). If I can get another 500-1000 supplies on the island, I'd be happy. If I could unload both ships and put 3-4 thousand on the island, even better.... but most likely I won't get any on the island and my fleet will get sunk. I'll trade 2 AK's for another 2 weeks of survival at Wake, that's for sure.

If anything, the troubles CB is having at Wake is to hammering his psyche in regards to his invasion ability, and hopefully he cancels all further invasions while he finishes wrapping up the DEI.

He has sunk about 5-10 ships in the "Townsville to PM" corridor, so he knows I've been working "something" at Port Moresby, so maybe he'll think PM is more defended than Wake, and not go for PM.

< Message edited by AcePylut -- 4/23/2019 8:07:54 PM >

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 403
RE: Mushrooms over Maizuru: Chickenboy (J) vs. AcePylut... - 4/23/2019 10:47:26 PM   
rustysi

quote:

so he knows I've been working "something" at Port Moresby, so maybe he'll think PM is more defended than Wake, and not go for PM.

Its so much easier to go for PM overland than it was IRL that its really a viable option in the game. So beware....

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 404
RE: Mushrooms over Maizuru: Chickenboy (J) vs. AcePylut... - 4/23/2019 10:54:14 PM   
rustysi

As for Wake, his problem is he seems to have underestimated the forces you have on the island. That and a probable lack of strong ground forces in the region. At least those that could be easily accessed and shifted.

Multiple Naval Guard units don't exactly make a strong invasion force, and many of them don't exactly have very high experience ratings. They're good against second rate troops like the Dutch in the SRA, but beyond that, eh.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 405
RE: Mushrooms over Maizuru: Chickenboy (J) vs. AcePylut... - 4/24/2019 12:12:10 AM   
AcePylut

Yes there are a combination of learning experiences from Wake Island. I agree that I think he suspected the island to be lightly defended... as soon as I saw that sigint about a unit planning for a Wake Island attack, I moved in 2 of those Marine Arty Defense units. I also moved in 2 AMC ships and 120 mines, plus about 8 subs. I've been building forts since day 1. If only I had dumped about 20-30k of supplies on the island instead of 5-6k, though, I'd still most likely be in supply. (that's my learning experience, the supplies went a heck of a lot faster than I thought they would. I suppose those 5" CD guns, the 155mm guns, I suppose their ammo takes up a lot of supplies hehehehe cuz they've been firing at ships non stop for about 2 weeks now)

I'm not sure if the mines have actually hit anything (haven't heard any "mine" sounds), and lawd knows the subs haven't hit squat yet, despite launching enough steel to build a bridge between Wake and Kwaj Atoll.

Here are the results of the latest turn. ChickenBoy is definitely churning over this one. I think he'd have fared better if his invasion was able to use both phases to unload, but the invasion TF arrived in the afternoon and only unloaded for one phase... and...

Ground combat at Wake Island (136,98)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 1279 troops, 10 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 131

Defending force 2882 troops, 137 guns, 10 vehicles, Assault Value = 91

Assault collapses, survivors seek cover

Japanese ground losses:
1152 casualties reported
Squads: 34 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 71 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 13 (13 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 1

Assaulting units:
144th Infantry Regiment
64th Naval Guard Unit
67th Naval Guard Unit
62nd Naval Guard Unit
84th Nav Gd /1
17th Naval Construction Battalion

Defending units:
3rd Marine Defense Battalion
Wake (Det.) Defense Battalion
Wake USN CPNAB
4th Marine Defense Battalion

------

There goes most of that naval guard unit.

At the very least, this Island is probably causing CB to pull all available assets in the South Pac, over to Kwaj, to "finish 'er off once and for all".

< Message edited by AcePylut -- 4/24/2019 12:15:59 AM >

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 406
RE: Mushrooms over Maizuru: Chickenboy (J) vs. AcePylut... - 4/24/2019 5:55:08 PM   
rustysi

quote:

lawd knows the subs haven't hit squat yet, despite launching enough steel to build a bridge between Wake and Kwaj Atoll.

As to his Wake op, he needs to re-evaluate his approach. Heck at this point without air opposition from you he can hit the place with Netties from the Marshall's. Get a decent ground unit in there and the job is done.

When I want a full day of offloading before an attack I usually stop my amphib TF one hex away, land the next day. All's ashore and attacking. I would imagine CB knows this, as he's been around a while.

This whole thing smacks of his extended attacks into New Caledonia and the Fiji Islands. Yes, they put you more on your heels for a bit, but they stretch out his forces so as to be less supportive of one another.

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 407
RE: Mushrooms over Maizuru: Chickenboy (J) vs. AcePylut... - 4/24/2019 7:22:10 PM   
FlyByKnight

Hey Ace. I'm going through this AAR now. It's been a worthwhile read so far, observing your thought process and seeing two experienced players face each other down like this. Much to learn from here.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

The obvious question is - "Will each shell do at least 0ne Million Dollars worth of damage?" If not, someone needs to look at this again and rethink it.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 408
RE: Mushrooms over Maizuru: Chickenboy (J) vs. AcePylut... - 4/25/2019 1:45:04 AM   
Bif1961

Looks like his landing bonus has expired before this landing on Wake.

(in reply to FlyByKnight)
Post #: 409
RE: Mushrooms over Maizuru: Chickenboy (J) vs. AcePylut... - 4/25/2019 8:41:35 PM   
AcePylut

Thanks CharlieVane and Bif and Rusty...

I'm pretty sure the invasion bonus ended. IIRC it ends on April 1.

I forgot about the Netties being able to reach Wake - the lack of use makes me think he doesn't have any in the region. I don't think he expected the island to be as defended as I have it. I get the sense that he's realized that the "half measures" aren't working at Wake, and very soon he's coming with the "full measure". That's fine, I expect it, my defenders have done their job.

I doubt he's going to invade Tabiteuea now - after his "on the fly" invasion failed of a couple months ago, he probably suspects it to be much more heavily defended (it isn't). If he does come for Tab, no doubt he's bringing the "full measure", i.e. multiple divisions... and if he does, that's fine, but I really want to keep these islands in my hands! Holding these islands gives me 2-3 more approach axis to choose from when the tide of the war turns.

So currently....

In China, my forces are more or less organized and are making fighting withdrawals near Sian. Changsa region is non-combative, but lots of moving activity on both sides. Over by Kweilin, he has minimal troops and I have plenty enough to withstand what he has, assuming he brings no other units to the region.

In India - I have more units on Ceylon, probably can take on 3-4 divisions (as long as I'm on defense). My secret heavy bomber base is at Level 5 so that's good. Given the new intel on Calcutta, I've re-evaluated what I was doing and made changes. I formed up a reserve force (now that I'm getting reinforcements in from Aden) that can rail to any hotspot. I've reinforced a couple of the ports by Calcutta (Chittagong, Cox's Bazaar).

In Oz, nothing more is going on except I'm all set in the Perth region, if he invades here.

In the South Pac, I've noticed that he keeps bringing "stuff" into Suva and is base building. I'm going to start moving closer to this island from Pago Pago, until I'm in fighter range. Then I will commence attacks against this base. This base is at the end of his supply line, so this is the one I need to punch and keep punching to suck up his supplies, fuel, etc. I have an easy supply line.... Tahiti to Pago Pago to the bases closer to Suva. Also, by starting to focus on Suva, I'll hope to keep his mind occupied while I really invade somewhere else (in about 9-12 months or so).

Adak - my INF Division is unloading nicely. With it unloading, I turned "on" the Port and Airfield base building. I had shut them off when they got 90% of the way to lvl 1 (I didn't want any intel to end up in CB's hands informing him I was doing "anything" here). Tomorrow they should both be level 1. I'll continue building them up to level 2, then flip back to building forts.

< Message edited by AcePylut -- 4/25/2019 8:42:20 PM >

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 410
RE: Mushrooms over Maizuru: Chickenboy (J) vs. AcePylut... - 4/25/2019 9:35:06 PM   
jdsrae

A few thoughts on your Wake defenders, I just re-read the ground combat section of the manual:
1. Even when zero supply your troops seem to fight at 25% efficiency
2. You have a large artillery advantage. I’m not 100% but 144th Regt probably only had about 12 x 75mm Howitzers or similar to start. The Naval Guard units only had a few 81mm mortars each. Artillery fires first so you probably disabled or destroyed a lot of his artillery then infantry before they got a chance to fire..
3. After his failed attacks disruption will be high and morale dropping
4. It doesn’t look like he has any combat engineers. If 144th has any it will only be a few. Naval guard units are not assault troops as they have no combat engineers or real artillery
5. So picture 6000+ Japanese troops (mainly riflemen) caught on the beach on an atoll, with however many 155mm guns you have firing airburst HE over their heads... that beach would not be a pretty sight
6. The result shows that your troops are almost impossible for him to hit behind level 4 forts, probably because all that was left to fire were some demoralised rifle squads

Has anyone done any testing on how much supply different units/ devices use in combat?
Alfred’s Logistics 101 only mentions supply used to sustain troops, ie: feed them. I assume it is different for Bombardment, Deliberate and Shock attack and is some factor of the device load costs but haven’t found anything specific on this on the forum.

Can you use your SST Argonaut and sisters to trickle some supply in?

Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 411
RE: Mushrooms over Maizuru: Chickenboy (J) vs. AcePylut... - 4/26/2019 12:25:16 PM   
AcePylut

I know that an out of supply unit fights at 25% efficiency, and everything you've said makes sense.

I do have quite a few arty guns in my units.

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 412
RE: Mushrooms over Maizuru: Chickenboy (J) vs. AcePylut... - 4/26/2019 12:26:42 PM   
AcePylut

My SST's don't finish their conversions for another 11 days.

I accidentally forgot to call back a small 2 DD tf that was inbound for Wake - mainly to try and sink some riffraff that's been troubling my subs. I hope there aren't any CA's around Wake when they go in.

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 413
RE: Mushrooms over Maizuru: Chickenboy (J) vs. AcePylut... - 4/26/2019 12:50:13 PM   
HansBolter

US Fleet submarines have 60 cargo capacity. You don't need to wait for the dedicated transport sub types to start using subs to get supplies to locales you can't send surface ships to.

In October '45 in my game most of my sub fleet has been relegated to supply hauling as there is nothing left plying the seas for them to sink.

30-40 fleet subs would deliver a decent chunk of supply to the Wake defenders.

Hans

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 414
RE: Mushrooms over Maizuru: Chickenboy (J) vs. AcePylut... - 5/1/2019 4:54:08 PM   
AcePylut

Subs are a good idea, forgot about the transport capability of the non-SST subs. I just sent 6 of them to Wake.

On the last turn, CB did say that he didn't expect the island to be this heavily defended.

In this last turn, nothing happened across the board, except one of my President AP's got torped and sank by Christmas Island. His subs are a pain in the butt. Even if I put 10 PC's and DD's into a convoy, it doesn't seem to matter.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 415
RE: Mushrooms over Maizuru: Chickenboy (J) vs. AcePylut... - 5/1/2019 7:08:10 PM   
rustysi

quote:

On the last turn, CB did say that he didn't expect the island to be this heavily defended.

As I suspected.

quote:

Even if I put 10 PC's and DD's into a convoy, it doesn't seem to matter.

Keep in mind that leaders and crew experience have a big effect. Pretty sure U.S. forces are pretty weak in both at this time of the war.

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 416
RE: Mushrooms over Maizuru: Chickenboy (J) vs. AcePylut... - 5/1/2019 7:16:45 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Subs are a good idea, forgot about the transport capability of the non-SST subs. I just sent 6 of them to Wake.

Just one more thing. If he wises up and gets Netties on your port (to subdue your CD's), these subs could be very vulnerable. Its my understanding that they unload rather slowly (don't know if its so, just what I've read). At any rate if he does so, beware.

I commend your attempt to assist your units, but I think its a lost cause, eventually.

My preference for such ops is hit-and-run, or preemptive ops. You did well, but now it looks like you're going to hand the victory, and Victory Points, back to him.

Its all about the VP's.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 417
RE: Mushrooms over Maizuru: Chickenboy (J) vs. AcePylut... - 5/1/2019 7:18:56 PM   
rustysi

Oh, and just one more more thing. Take the lesson offered here by CB. Proper recon preceding any op is necessary, and will pay back great dividends.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 418
RE: Mushrooms over Maizuru: Chickenboy (J) vs. AcePylut... - 5/1/2019 7:56:48 PM   
HansBolter

The truth is that the SSTs don't have any more cargo capacity than the other fleet subs with 60 capacity.

The difference for the SSTs is that they also have a troop capacity.

Argonaut: 110 troop capacity/ 60 cargo capacity

Nautilus & Narwal: 70 troop capacity/ 60 cargo capacity

It's the cross loading of cargo into troop space that allows them to carry more cargo.

Hans

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 419
RE: Mushrooms over Maizuru: Chickenboy (J) vs. AcePylut... - 5/1/2019 8:39:58 PM   
AcePylut

quote:

"Just one more thing. If he wises up and gets Netties on your port (to subdue your CD's), these subs could be very vulnerable. Its my understanding that they unload rather slowly (don't know if its so, just what I've read). At any rate if he does so, beware.

I commend your attempt to assist your units, but I think its a lost cause, eventually.

My preference for such ops is hit-and-run, or preemptive ops. You did well, but now it looks like you're going to hand the victory, and Victory Points, back to him.

Its all about the VP's. "

Ultimately, it is a lost cause, I have no doubt about that. And while this game is and always will be, about the VP's... it's "how" you get those VP's.

I'm entirely willing to "lose the VP match" over Wake Island, but don't think I will. I've already killed, at the very minimum, at least 3-4 thousand Japanese soldiers. That number should increase. I've sank, by my estimates, around 7-8 transports. So even if I lose a couple of xAK's here - as long as they sink *after* dumping supply on the island - I come out ahead.

If I can get a couple thousand supplies on the island and extend the battle another 2-3 weeks past what I'd gain from an estimated "non-supplied" last stand, then, while I would have lost the battle for the island from a tactical level, I've won the battle on the Operational and Strategic Level.

The longer I hold out, the more CB focuses attention to Wake. The longer I hold out, the more he will divert additional units (land, sea, air) to capturing the island. The longer I hold out, the more he gets the belief that "day-yum is every island going to be this damn tough, maybe I should just start digging in and forgo any further expansion".

So, while one may look at the VP gain/loss and say "Ace lost 1000 VP, CB lost 800 VP, so CB won", this is from a tactical viewpoint. I'm focused on the Strategic Level. Everything I do starts at the Strategic level and filters down to the tactical, not vice versa.

To note - the invasion of Wake was commenced on March 21st. There was a "2 week estimate" before the island fell, which I thought was about right. It's now April 9th/10th (can't remember exactly I'm at work). It's held out for three weeks and could easily go another 2 weeks (depending on how fast CB gets enginerds over to knock down my forts).

In that time, I've been able to push some units forward "without fear" to Pago Pago for an eventual move closer to Suva (I want to get into fighter range and start threatening Suva. He's been building up the islands, it's the end of his supply line, and the perfect spot to create a schwerpunkt to suck his assets while I make a 'real' move elsewhere, in late '42/early '42).

Tabiteuea was under siege from subs, surface ships, and the Mini-KB. It was out of supply. Forts were stuck at 2 and not building. But since March 21st, I've been able to get about 5k supply into the base, forts are at 3 and marching towards 4 rather quickly. Also, CB had a failed invasion on this island a couple months ago so he might be leery of attacking it again given the Wake Island issues. I know he's seen a lot of my ships going into and out of the base, so perhaps he thinks I'm reinforcing it like crazy (I'm not, I just a SeaBee unit and the 161st Inf Rgt). I was able to reinforce all the island leading to Tab (Canton, Baker, Christmas, etc.).

Adak Island went from being an empty base to a rapidly enlarging fortress. It's got a division of troops there, and now I will spread out east and west from Adak to provide those multiple interlocking air bases that are so necessary for a quality defense.

With CB having multiple BB's and the KB tied up around Wake, they aren't elsewhere blasting everything in sight.

A couple of units of Netties at Rabaul had effectively closed off Port Moreseby to re-supply and reinforcement. Those units aren't at Rabaul anymore. I'm running in four transports with around 15k supply to PM.

And funny enough, on the day of the initial invasion, one of CB's emails hinted that one of my subs had either seriously damaged or sank one of his carriers. During the turns replay, all I could note was that one of my subs fired and missed at a large fleet tanker. Tankers are easily mistaken for carriers... and perhaps my sub guys didn't note a hit... but dare I dream that I got something juicy???

In short, since March 21st, all his attention in the Pacific is on Wake, which has allowed me to do many things elsewhere that will (I'm hoping) be doubly beneficial in the long run. The longer I hold his attention (and units) at Wake, the better it is for me in the long run... and that, imho, is worth a couple of transports.

Now, if CB will make a mistake and give me a small gap in the siege of Wake, I can maybe find just the "right time" to run in some supplies. Ultimately, I doubt I'll have the opportunity to resupply the island, so we'll see. I know he's frustrated at himself over this op.

There's a new turn in my inbox... watch this be a shock attack that wipes the Wake defenders and makes all this discussion a moot point. lol.

< Message edited by AcePylut -- 5/1/2019 8:48:11 PM >

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 420
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Mushrooms over Maizuru: Chickenboy (J) vs. AcePylut (A) Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI