Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Iowa Jima Goes to Mozambique, 2024 -- new scenario for testing/feedback requested

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Iowa Jima Goes to Mozambique, 2024 -- new scenario for testing/feedback requested Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Iowa Jima Goes to Mozambique, 2024 -- new scenario for ... - 5/3/2019 6:58:42 PM   
Mgellis

Here's the alpha/beta version of my newest scenario.

This one is kind of an experiment, so I would very much appreciate any feedback people have.

I have no idea what the best way is to win this one. I have no idea how tough it really is, although you can certain get slaughtered if you are not careful. What I did was created an expeditionary force (so you have lots of toys) and a bunch of related missions and hazards and complications. I honestly don't know if it is a good challenge or just a mess.

Please take a look, see if you can beat the scenario, and please let me know what I need to do to make it better.

Thanks!

Version 4 uploaded 10:10 PM EST May 15 2019

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Mgellis -- 5/16/2019 2:11:44 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Iowa Jima Goes to Mozambique, 2024 -- new scenario ... - 5/4/2019 5:40:56 PM   
Andrea G

Tried it and enjoyed.

The Relief Workers completed their tour of Mazambique.

The RENAMO units were really hard to spot, obviously once spotted they were easy prey but none the less managed to down a couple of UAVs.

The armed dhows are smart enough to fire only on surface contact so managed to damage a LCS that come too close to investigate.

The chinese sub was a real surprise but it was no real threat for the AA defences.

It was nice to have so different assets, air land and Sea; I think it can be interestingly replayed if you have also designed a random placement of the hostiles.

Thank you for the fun!

(in reply to Mgellis)
Post #: 2
RE: Iowa Jima Goes to Mozambique, 2024 -- new scenario ... - 5/4/2019 11:59:05 PM   
ARCNA442

An interesting scenario that has just the right amount of complexity.

My only real problem with it is the Side Briefing. The mission is rather vague, and friendly forces really aren't well-suited for the task of hunting down mobile ground units protected by SAM's and MANPADS (if you get close enough to ID them, you will be shot down). I would suggest instead having Iwo Jima striking targets identified by forces ashore (allies or SOF). A better description of hostile forces would also be nice, as they are far better equipped than your standard African insurgency, and perhaps rewording the sections concerning China so that the player realizes the political situation has deteriorated to the point where a shooting war is possible.

I also have some minor quibbles that don't dramatically effect the scenario. First, you have 4 F-35's loaded for A2A combat when there isn't any air opposition. Second, Halsey doesn't have any SM-6 or SM-2, which is somewhat odd for an Aegis ship. And third, the LCS configurations combine elements from separate mission packages (https://www.navy.mil/navydata/fact_display.asp?cid=2100&tid=437&ct=2 and https://www.navy.mil/navydata/fact_display.asp?cid=2100&tid=412&ct=2) - I would suggest making 1 ASW and 1 ASuW.

(in reply to Andrea G)
Post #: 3
RE: Iowa Jima Goes to Mozambique, 2024 -- new scenario ... - 5/5/2019 9:27:51 AM   
Andrea G

The vagueness of the briefing is befitting the vagueness of this kind of conflicts.

For me the primary mission was protecting the Relief Workers so I sent the UAVs scouting ahead of their route and launched AH-1 and F-35 loitering just off the coast in case of need.

Attacking RENAMO units became an active mission only after they downed a UAV with a SAM and more so after the disguised dhows damaged one LCS.

By the way, you have plenty of ground force to infiltrate.

(in reply to ARCNA442)
Post #: 4
RE: Iowa Jima Goes to Mozambique, 2024 -- new scenario ... - 5/7/2019 2:09:01 AM   
Mgellis

Just uploaded version 2. I incorporated a number of suggestions from people and also tweaked the opposing forces. Lots of small units that you'll have to track down and take out.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

(in reply to Andrea G)
Post #: 5
RE: Iowa Jima Goes to Mozambique, 2024 -- new scenario ... - 5/7/2019 10:58:41 PM   
Mgellis

Just uploaded version 3. Caught a few errors in version 2 and also tweaked a few things.

I'll leave it alone for now until I get some more feedback from people. Thanks!

(in reply to Mgellis)
Post #: 6
RE: Iowa Jima Goes to Mozambique, 2024 -- new scenario ... - 5/12/2019 8:31:24 AM   
Andrea G

Tested version 3.

It was somewhat easier to win than the first one.
Renamo was surely strenghtened but most of the ground units where easily spotted by F-35 and picked one by one in advance of the relief workers.
The Armed Dhows fired on a UAV and give away their cover and also that of the other covert boat and of the lonely piper, I would suggest to put them on different SIDES so as to not all of them hostile at the same time.

This time I used much more ground power than the first run, staged also an heliborne assault with marines to occupy the Renamo AB, maybe that could be added as a victory point condition.

(in reply to Mgellis)
Post #: 7
RE: Iowa Jima Goes to Mozambique, 2024 -- new scenario ... - 5/14/2019 4:43:02 AM   
magi

im only a couple of hours into this so far... i am enjoying it.... i believe there should be a global hawk included as they would be probably in this type of situation....

(in reply to Andrea G)
Post #: 8
RE: Iowa Jima Goes to Mozambique, 2024 -- new scenario ... - 5/14/2019 7:19:12 PM   
ojms

I completed this quite easily with only losing an SH-60, overall was good fun thanks!

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 9
RE: Iowa Jima Goes to Mozambique, 2024 -- new scenario ... - 5/16/2019 2:14:31 AM   
Mgellis

Version 4 has been uploaded.

I made a bunch of tweaks and I think I found a good way to make it more challenging--the rebels, even well-armed as they are, are going to have a tough time against US forces. So I gave the US more civilians to protect. I also added a few extra features like a couple of message events, etc.

Please let me know what you think. Is it ready for the Community Scenario Pack or are there other changes, etc. that need to be made. Any errors that need to be fixed? Thanks.

(in reply to ojms)
Post #: 10
RE: Iowa Jima Goes to Mozambique, 2024 -- new scenario ... - 5/18/2019 4:12:46 PM   
Andrea G

Tried Version 4

This time the chinese SSN even managed to surprise Hawaii and both blasted each other.

For me is ready for community scenario pack

(in reply to Mgellis)
Post #: 11
RE: Iowa Jima Goes to Mozambique, 2024 -- new scenario ... - 5/21/2019 8:41:01 PM   
Mgellis

Any other thoughts on this one or is it ready for the Community Scenario Pack? Thanks!

(in reply to Andrea G)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Iowa Jima Goes to Mozambique, 2024 -- new scenario for testing/feedback requested Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI