Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  102 103 [104] 105 106   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/6/2019 3:03:11 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

So many things about last night bummed me
warspite1

He said 'bummed me' fnarr, fnarr!

What was not to your liking old fruit?

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 3091
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/6/2019 3:32:58 PM   
Lecivius

Spoiler alert!!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

John Snow just walked away from Ghost. That (to me) was just so wrong, on so many levels.

And they killed Rhaegal! That guy took on an undead brother and survived, only to be killed by spears flying around with absolutely uncanny volume and precision from ships bobbing about on the open ocean that they did not see from 2000ft. Do you have any idea how hard it was to load and aim a Scorpion on land? Let alone water.

I was (and still am) SO bummed

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3092
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/6/2019 3:57:41 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Spoiler alert!!!

quote:

quote:

warspite1

John Snow just walked away from Ghost. That (to me) was just so wrong, on so many levels.

And they killed Rhaegal! That guy took on an undead brother and survived, only to be killed by spears flying around with absolutely uncanny volume and precision from ships bobbing about on the open ocean that they did not see from 2000ft. Do you have any idea how hard it was to load and aim a Scorpion on land? Let alone water.

warspite1

I think the Ghost thing makes sense (not that I know much about Direwolves! ). Where YKNJS is going is much warmer than ooop north, so would it have been cruel to take Ghost south? Mind you, having said that, he didn't exactly seem concerned - and he couldn't even be bothered to say goodbye!! It all seemed a bit rushed - but then that is a consequence of everything been compressed this series.

I liked that the whispering behind doors and the politics is back though I don't want to speak too soon but my prediction about MoD/her advisors could well be coming true.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 5/6/2019 4:22:57 PM >

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 3093
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/6/2019 4:59:57 PM   
Lecivius

Let him go north, sure. But to just look at him in passing as he ran out the gate? I guess I'm just getting sentimental in my old age

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3094
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/6/2019 5:45:11 PM   
Zorch

quote:

Let him go north, sure. But to just look at him in passing as he ran out the gate? I guess I'm just getting sentimental in my old age

In the best tradition of GoT, Ghost is going to get it on with Arya's direwolf.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 3095
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/6/2019 5:54:00 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

In the best tradition of GoT, Ghost is going to get it on with Arya's direwolf.
warspite1

Where is Nymeria?

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3096
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/6/2019 6:40:24 PM   
Zorch

Something is rotten in the state of Westeros.

This is like after the Battle of Bosworth, when many of the nobles, who backed Henry Tudor to get rid of Richard III, decided they'd rather not have Henry as king.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3097
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/6/2019 9:48:03 PM   
bomccarthy

quote:

While Daenerys and the North were busy fighting the undead, Euron wisely put his ships into King's Landing for AAA upgrades. And it appears that Scorpions are DP. At this point, Cersei's forces seriously outgun their opponents, have parity in numbers, and are protected by strong fortifications that feature even more Scorpions. Notice how none ventured out in front of the wall?

What's more, Cersei is allowing all civilians into the Red Keep, so that any attempt by Daenerys to burn Cersei out will result in thousands of civilian deaths. Even if Daenerys succeeds in killing Cersei, she will be hated as a foreign conquerer who killed Westerosi in order to "save" them. And even before Missandei was killed, Daenerys was willing to pay this cost (per her testy exchange with Varys). Now, no one is around who can counsel temperance.

Only the Arya/Hound hit squad can prevent a political/public relations catastrophe ... if they reach King's Landing before Aegon's Northern force.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 3098
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/7/2019 11:56:01 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: bomccarthy

quote:

While Daenerys and the North were busy fighting the undead, Euron wisely put his ships into King's Landing for AAA upgrades. And it appears that Scorpions are DP. At this point, Cersei's forces seriously outgun their opponents, have parity in numbers, and are protected by strong fortifications that feature even more Scorpions. Notice how none ventured out in front of the wall?

What's more, Cersei is allowing all civilians into the Red Keep, so that any attempt by Daenerys to burn Cersei out will result in thousands of civilian deaths. Even if Daenerys succeeds in killing Cersei, she will be hated as a foreign conquerer who killed Westerosi in order to "save" them. And even before Missandei was killed, Daenerys was willing to pay this cost (per her testy exchange with Varys). Now, no one is around who can counsel temperance.

Only the Arya/Hound hit squad can prevent a political/public relations catastrophe ... if they reach King's Landing before Aegon's Northern force.

Yeah, I think the Arya/Hound/Jamie hit squad will deal with Cersei. Perhaps Arya disguised as Tyrion? That would fulfill several aspects of the prophecy. Jamie is a wild card to cap off his sister/lover/mother of dead children too.

(in reply to bomccarthy)
Post #: 3099
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/8/2019 6:29:06 PM   
Orm

Can I suggest a thread dedicated to GoT? It is getting difficult to dodge the spoilers.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3100
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/8/2019 7:59:01 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Can I suggest a thread dedicated to GoT? It is getting difficult to dodge the spoilers.

Ormster,

You haven't seen the latest yet?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3101
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/8/2019 8:16:34 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Ormster,

Nope. I prefer to watch it all at once. I haven't seen anything from this season, nor the previous.

I expect to begin watching it all soon. Beginning from the beginning so to speak. And, maybe, one to three episodes a day until I reach the end of it all.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3102
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/8/2019 9:50:00 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ormster,

Nope. I prefer to watch it all at once. I haven't seen anything from this season, nor the previous.

I expect to begin watching it all soon. Beginning from the beginning so to speak. And, maybe, one to three episodes a day until I reach the end of it all.

Better start soon - prequels and spinoffs are coming (just like winter).

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3103
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/8/2019 10:00:04 PM   
bomccarthy

quote:

Yeah, I think the Arya/Hound/Jamie hit squad will deal with Cersei. Perhaps Arya disguised as Tyrion? That would fulfill several aspects of the prophecy. Jamie is a wild card to cap off his sister/lover/mother of dead children too.

Which means Arya will have to kill Tyrion in order to take his face (the alternative would be too gruesome, even for Arya).

Arya: “Well, I’m off, to take care of that business.”

Sansa: “What business?”

Arya: “You know, ‘the business.’”

Sansa: “You mean ‘the business’?”

Arya: “Yeah, ‘the business.’”

Sansa: “You know, my ex-husband doesn’t seem to be so smart anymore.”

Arya: “You mean he’s also part of ‘the business’?”

Sansa: “Yeah, he’s part of ‘the business.’”

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3104
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/12/2019 10:25:49 PM   
Zorch

Somebody gonna die tonight. And I don't mean supporting characters.

(in reply to bomccarthy)
Post #: 3105
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/13/2019 2:14:40 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Sorry mate. You'll need to be more specific to get any credit for a prediction.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3106
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/13/2019 6:02:01 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

Sorry mate. You'll need to be more specific to get any credit for a prediction.

After the 24 hour waiting period. I think most of the internet predicted certain events.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3107
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/13/2019 6:10:33 PM   
Lecivius

Anyone want to pool as to who wins the big prize? I'm 4 for 4 this season on who dies & how. My son hates me

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3108
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/13/2019 6:48:43 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Anyone want to pool as to who wins the big prize? I'm 4 for 4 this season on who dies & how. My son hates me

Alright, I'm interested in taking your wager for your bet #5: What happens to Daenrys. Call the death (or lack thereof) and how for a bet please.

If you're up for that, then I offer a bet #6: Jon Snow. Same premise.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 3109
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/13/2019 7:27:11 PM   
Lecivius

PM away. This could be fun

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3110
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/14/2019 4:22:41 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Alright. The bets are set and the wagers placed. Thanks in advance to Lecivius for sponsoring my new bottle of Irish Whiskey.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 3111
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/15/2019 7:05:37 AM   
warspite1

Gents

As per Orm's request, shall we take any future discussion on GoT to the Game of Thrones thread?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3112
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/15/2019 12:28:51 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Gents

As per Orm's request, shall we take any future discussion on GoT to the Game of Thrones thread?

After next week I promise to move all GOT-themed discussions accordingly.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3113
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/15/2019 2:05:43 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

quote:

Alright. The bets are set and the wagers placed. Thanks in advance to Lecivius for sponsoring my new bottle of Irish Whiskey.

But if I win I'm gonna crow until you cry uncle. And since you won't, it means I get to harrass you forever

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3114
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/15/2019 4:39:01 PM   
warspite1

Started watching Sky Atlantic's Chernobyl. I have to say this is a hugely watchable, gripping, serious drama. Five stars without a doubt. Well acted (excellent cast), an intelligent and well paced script (the subject matter is of course difficult to understand, but the writers make a great job of making the story work as a drama).

The corruptness, the blame culture, the fear culture prevalent in Soviet society is exposed. The rows of concrete blocks, the poor standard of living, everything seems so authentic.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 3115
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/15/2019 4:53:28 PM   
Lecivius

I can't wait to start watching it. It does look well done, from the trailers.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3116
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/15/2019 4:54:23 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

But if I win I'm gonna crow until you cry uncle. And since you won't, it means I get to harrass you forever

Only if you win. And only if you don't want your money.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 3117
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/15/2019 4:57:40 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Started watching Sky Atlantic's Chernobyl. I have to say this is a hugely watchable, gripping, serious drama. Five stars without a doubt. Well acted (excellent cast), an intelligent and well paced script (the subject matter is of course difficult to understand, but the writers make a great job of making the story work as a drama).

The corruptness, the blame culture, the fear culture prevalent in Soviet society is exposed. The rows of concrete blocks, the poor standard of living, everything seems so authentic.

I'll have to brush off my Chernobyl jokes.

Q: What food is green and glows in the dark?
A: Chicken Kiev.

Q: Why don't people near Chernobyl need lightbulbs?
A: Their kids throw off enough light in the dark.

Q. Why shouldn'chu wear Russian shorts?
A. Because Chernobyl fallout.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3118
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/20/2019 8:50:51 AM   
Chickenboy

SPOILERS ABOUND! BEWARE!

quote:

ORIGINAL: bomccarthy

So, if I were to make a prediction:

Daenerys gets Sansa’s acquiescence to lead what is left of the Northern armies and the Unsullied south, allying with the Tully forces at Riverrun (Jaime and Sansa convince Edmure Tully that it is in his best interest) to confront the Golden Company and Lannister army.

Close enough, although we didn't get to see the Tully inclusion in the last couple episodes. Northerners just *poof* kind of appeared.

quote:

A battle of some sort results, with the still recovering dragons making up for the lack of numbers to trigger a stalemate. One dragon is lost, which causes Daenerys to fly into a rage, literally, riding the last dragon (probably Drogon) in a futile and fatal attempt to win the day.

Close enough. One dragon was lost en route to the fight. Daenerys went batshit on the last dragon, but the attempt was not a futile one.

quote:

In the meantime, Jaime, Bronn, and the Hound slip into King’s Landing to assassinate Cersei (I seem to recall that a witch told teenage Cersei that she would die at the hands of a loved one). However, the plan does not pan out (of course), and Arya deals one or more of the death blows, maybe while wearing Walder Frey’s face.

Close. In hindsight, Cersei died in the arms of a loved one. Arya inexplicably drew down her bloodlust per the exhortations of the Hound.

quote:

Sansa assumes the Iron Throne and brings peace at last to the people Westeros, who in turn love their red-headed queen who decides never to marry but be “wedded” to her people.

The Three-Eyed Raven tells Lord Commander Targaryen and Maester Tarly that he has discovered the Night Queen of ancient legend, living in the far north with her White Walker children (donated by Craster and his daughter wives) ….

You missed this last part.

quote:

I am going to go out on a limb and leave Jon/Aegon out of the contest for the throne. He was raised by Ned Stark to value personal oaths and undying loyalty to them. I still think that he takes his oath as a member of the Knight’s Watch seriously - including foreswearing any title. He will look back on the example of Maester Aemon Targaryen, who kept his oath rather than exercise his own claim to the Iron Throne. Indeed, Maester Aemon may have secretly known who Jon/Aegon really was and revealed his own story as an example to be followed. Besides, Jon/Aegon never wanted to be King of the North, much less King of Westeros.

You nailed this as far as I'm concerned. The only prediction I saw that 'tied up' YKNJS with the Knight's Watch at the end. Good call what.

(in reply to bomccarthy)
Post #: 3119
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/20/2019 7:08:46 PM   
warspite1

Finally got around to seeing The Imitation Game. Probably took a billion liberties with the truth - par for the course now - but as a film in its own right I thought was excellent. Benedict Cumberbatch produced a superb performance as the impossibly intelligent mathematician and all-round tortured genius that was Alan Turing. His death and what went before it is heart-breaking.

Charles Dance put in another seemingly effortless performance that stole the show every time he was in a scene. Not a huge fan of Keira Knightley - but she's certainly watchable in this film.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3120
Page:   <<   < prev  102 103 [104] 105 106   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  102 103 [104] 105 106   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI