Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) - 11/2/2018 10:30:20 PM   
Falken

I'm with Rustysi on this one. I don't think any of us will agree on what is the micromanagement level that should be given to this game. Like others, it takes me at minimum 2-4 hours per turn. 30 minutes to review the replay (and yes, I watch the replay), and take notes. Then I use tracker and take more notes (LCU movement, etc.), and then I go through all that for the next 1 1/2-3 hours. I review every TF to make sure they are doing what they are suppose to.

I have honestly tried to reduce my micromanagement, and honestly, i've really tried to shorten my task lists and try to do turns faster; however, I can't do that... It's just not me.

Like Rustysi said, it's the journey that counts. I actually enjoy the process, and it's what makes me learn and luv the game. I have played this game for over 10 years, and still learning. Recently, i've had to change tactics for China, as an example, due to BTSL, B-MoD, and now LST mods that have really changed China. The micromanagement helps me learn "what' is happening in the game with these changes.

In the end, go with what you are comfortable with. If like me, you enjoy the game using Micromanagement, then do that. If you are lucky enough to be able to enjoy the game with less micromanagement, then do that as well. There is no right way.

I've been lucky in having PBEM partners that like the game the way I do, so timing of turns was never an issue for us.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 61
RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) - 11/3/2018 1:33:35 AM   
GamerJack

gfdhgf

Truth of this world and the end of humanity

COPY THIS TEXT TO YOUR PC AND USB DRIVE NOW (not cloud drives and not smartphone notes!) — ALL CORPORATIONS, SOCNETWORKS AND FORUMS WILL BAN, CENSOR OR MODIFY IT EVERYWHERE. DO IT RIGHT NOW WITHOUT REFRESHING THE PAGE!!!
EVEN IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE IT YET.

IN SHORT: Humanity is being pushed into Third World War by cross-country media and political manipulation created by vampiric beasts that can dominate any human leaders.

This text may seem INSANE at first, but all in it IS true and WILL happen.

First they will eat fringe small cities in all countries while lying in all news/socnetworks/apps about riots, natural disasters or attacks in them by neighbooring countries.
They will also ban/restrict local and cross-country travel with insane laws or under disguise of false reasons.
In the end, they will block cross-country internet.

COPY-PASTE THIS TEXT EVERYWHERE YOU CAN (do not repost/share! do not use links! they will be deleted and banned!), ON EVERY FORUM, IN EVERY MESSENGER APP (especially to other countries). Request detailed relationship-specific confirmation that recipient read it (messenger apps will ban or falsify it)!

PRINT THIS TEXT IN AS MANY COPIES AS YOU CAN AND SHOW THEM TO MAXIMUM NUMBER OF OTHER PEOPLE IN REAL LIFE.

TRANSLATE THIS TEXT TO YOUR LANGUAGE AND SEND IT TO EVERYONE IN YOUR COUNTRY, BOTH ELECTRONICALLY AND VIA POST MAIL.

Add random letters here and at the beginning of this text so it will not be blocked by content:
jfgjhdfj

1. Currently all countries across the globe experience unprecedented media storm of rage, hate and warmongering. This text explains why is that and what will happen next.

2. For at least a century (or more) humanity lives alongside hidden beasts, something like vampire/alien hybrid, with telepatic/telekinetic abilities. They can remain invisible if in eyesight of small number of humans (up to 50 I guess), but most probably can be caught on camera.

3. These beasts are carnivorous — specifically, they eat humans and their innards.

4. They manipulate human societies with purpose of periodic creation of slaughter and bloodshed to harvest their food (human flesh and innards).

5. For that, they conspired with ALL world's governments — or more like shadow power groups — and established their own puppet governments that consist of crisis actors and thralls (just like in recent USA school shootings and most airplane crashes in the world).

6. The beasts themselves have ability to create "thralls" — either by overpowering human will via drugs or bites (I don't know which of those). Visually and mimically thrall is almost indistinguishable from original and has ALL of his knowledge and mannerisms.

7. Some countries like USA have entire industries full of these thralls, others — like european countries — are converting them in recent days.

8. All accounts with large number of followers in ALL social networks and apps are controlled (or will be controlled) by newly converted thralls — they will post hate and warmongering from the name of their previous selves, including videos with themselves. All other accounts (yours too) are hacked and under their control. Do not trust anything you read in social networks or you see in any media of any type.

9. Purpose of these thralls is to infiltrate and totally dominate ALL media in all countries to be able to falsify observable reality — to show events that really are just hoaxes or created only by human servants of the beasts disguised as political opponents in fake conflicts.

10. ALL CORPORATIONS, SOCIAL NETWORKS, FORUMS, COMMENTS, MESSENGERS AND APPS ARE UNDER THEIR CONTROL OR SOON WILL BE INDEFINITELY. They turned off SSL for login to most third-party forums that they haven't compromised yet. Twitter, Facebook and YouTube will not show your posts to others often enough and will falsify views and likes/dislikes count.

11. COMMAND OF ALL ARMIES AND ALL SPECIAL AGENCIES OF ALL COUNTRIES ARE UNDER THEIR CONTROL AND WILL REMAIN SO.

12. ALL POLITICIANS OF ALL SIDES AND ALL COUNTRIES ARE UNDER THEIR CONTROL AND WILL ALWAYS BE.

13. As the result, ALMOST ALL terrorist acts that you believe in (in particular, 9/11, Columbine, Sandy Hook shootings, Florida shootings, Paris and Boston attacks) are hoaxes (often with real victims) with purpose to instill rage and bloodshed across the globe.

14. Most problems related to human disappearances in various countries are really just human flesh harvesting for the beasts, disguised by the controlled media as accidents/crimes.

15. All recent local "wars" (like Lybia, Syria) are falsified in the sense that their TV/media picture is a hoax — it is captured in small number of places in some of the cities, but all soldiers and civilians in remaining territory in these wars died very different deaths — becoming food for the beasts.

16. They are also for many years actively DEPOPULATING and DAMAGING the humanity via lies about medicine. For example: they tell you that AIDS is the result of HIV, but HIV virus doesn't exist (AIDS occurs because of heavy metals that they add into vaccines are causing immune deficiency condition; and HIV detection tests detect just resulting immune deficiency condition, not the virus itself). Also SIX hiv experts were killed in MH17 Boeing crash (which is also fake news, but with real eaten people). Same with cancer and its treatment.

17. Beasts (together with all puppet governments of the world) also lying to you for years about USA moon landing, which were impossible due to Van Allen radiation belts that would FRY all astronauts in minutes without hundreds of tons of radiation protection.

18. ALL NEWS ARE FAKE, ALL MEDIA IS LYING, all people in them are just thousands of Crisis Actors and thralls. Because they NEVER cite real sources or give full-length full-scale video. ALL SOCIAL NETWORKS AND MESSENGERS ARE HACKED, DO NOT TRUST ANYONE YOU TALK NOT IN PERSON.

19. Beasts are now advancing their plan to full-scale Third World War by instilling country-specific protests, revolutions and wars. In USA, it is race war and Trump-Democrat hatred (both sides are puppets). In other countries it is the same with ideological specifics to local populace.

20. Beasts want to create worldwide bloodshed where they will eat people alive. They already done that and WILL do it again. And after that, they will falsify history again, hiding their the very presence.

21. They are initiating and converting humans to become cannibals and to fight for them, disguised as soldiers of opposite political side. Except that they're not humans — they are cannibals disguised as humans.

22. They will first eat small fringe cities in all countries while lying in all news media and social networks about continuing social life in them. They will also lie about riots and natural disasters in them as an excuse why travelling there is impossible. They will turn off the electricity, cell coverage and water in entire city, but will falsify social activity for it in social networks for outside world.

23. They WILL try to silence the truth by both censorship and by many lunatic conspiracy theories.

24. DISABLE NEW PHONE OR PC UPDATES — THEY CONTAIN CENSORSHIP CODE. DO NOT USE CLOUD STORAGE OR DRIVES.

25. DO NOT FOLLOW OR TRUST ANY LEADERS — THEY WILL BE CONVERTED, DOMINATED AND THEIR WILL HIJACKED.

26. DO NOT BELIEVE LIES ABOUT RIOTS, PROTESTS, REVOLUTIONS, DISASTERS AND WARS.

27. DO NOT TRUST "PEOPLE" THAT INSTILL HATRED AGAINST ANY OTHER HUMAN. THEY ARE YOUR ENEMIES.

28. DO NOT PARTICIPATE IN OR SUPPORT BLOODSHED DIRECTED BY MEDIA OF EITHER SIDE. PROTECT YOURSELF AGAINST THE BEASTS, THEIR THRALLS AND THEIR ARMIES OF CANNIBALS DISGUISED AS SOLDIERS OF OTHER POLITICAL "SIDES".

29. Do not trust any other similar text that will appear, they are all lies from beasts and their thralls.

30. All history of original author of this text is a lie. He is not important. There was none and will be no more messages from him (otherwise it is NOT him). He died after writing this text.

God save us all.
God save humanity.

hgkhjfgh

(in reply to Falken)
Post #: 62
RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) - 11/3/2018 7:31:13 PM   
asurob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zeta16

quote:

ORIGINAL: asurob

When I have a good fast place opponent, I can average 5 to 7 turns a day. Once you get past that first turn...honestly..it's all about book keeping and I have a system after more then a decade of wrestling with this monster.

I loved playing with you, I like to do at least 5 turns a day when I was playing. Now it is so hard to find someone who can do 3 or more a day. I did not use any trackers and just keep track in my head, but when you do more turns a day it is easier to keep track.

Off course have not had a game in a few years, my last game stop resending turns in 44, would like to play again and but the mods are overly complex to install and frustrate me to now end and it is hard to find someone that wants to play at a decent pace any more.

Yeah, I love a fast paced game. 3 to 5 turns a day shouldn't be overly hard for most. Once you get past the first week or so you can really grind them out and I don't even play that fast anymore. Back in the day I had 3 or 4 games going at once...it's really a matter of organization.

I feel you on the mods. A lot of them out there and while I have enjoyed them a bit it can be confusing. It's why the game I'm currently looking for is going to be vanilla only. Want to get back to the basics....now if I can only find someone up for a game...(hint hint). :P

Carrierbane. I lose more flattops in a week then most players do in a year.

(in reply to Zeta16)
Post #: 63
RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) - 11/3/2018 11:50:20 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: GamerJack
TRANSLATE THIS TEXT TO YOUR LANGUAGE AND SEND IT TO EVERYONE IN YOUR COUNTRY

OK. Done.

(in reply to GamerJack)
Post #: 64
RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) - 11/5/2018 7:10:20 AM   
Encircled

How lucky are you that I'm actually a lizard spy sent from Alpha Centuri to control the earth.

I've copied it in my own language and sent it home as well.

Two world for the price of one!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 65
RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) - 11/5/2018 9:03:11 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

23. They WILL try to silence the truth by both censorship and by many lunatic conspiracy theories.

Conspiracy theories even more lunatic than the one about hidden beast living among us which control everything, create "thralls" and eat our innards?

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 66
RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) - 11/5/2018 12:53:40 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

quote:

Conspiracy theories even more lunatic than the one about hidden beast living among us which control everything, create "thralls" and eat our innards?

The post contained so many hot buttons that I assume it is a Russian robo-troll creation. Let's not waste time on it.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 67
RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) - 11/5/2018 1:28:47 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

The post contained so many hot buttons that I assume it is a Russian robo-troll creation. Let's not waste time on it.

It may be connected to tomorrow's US elections.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 68
RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) - 11/5/2018 2:52:18 PM   
Edward75

quote:

The post contained so many hot buttons that I assume it is a Russian robo-troll creation.

Why immediately Russian?)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 69
RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) - 11/5/2018 3:27:16 PM   
Yaab

Maximus: "ARE YOU NOT ENTHRALLED?!"

(in reply to Edward75)
Post #: 70
RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) - 11/5/2018 3:45:50 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Edward75

quote:

The post contained so many hot buttons that I assume it is a Russian robo-troll creation.

Because it's currently in vogue to blame everything on Russian robotrolls and Chinese/North Korean hackers.

He was just goin with the flow.

Hans

(in reply to Edward75)
Post #: 71
RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) - 11/5/2018 4:23:42 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

quote:

Because it's currently in vogue to blame everything on Russian robotrolls and Chinese/North Korean hackers.

He was just goin with the flow.

Not to make this political, but there is real evidence that 'Russian robotrolls' are attempting to influence the US prior to the midterm elections.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 72
RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) - 11/5/2018 5:08:35 PM   
Encircled

Don't make it political mate

Please

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 73
RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) - 11/5/2018 8:12:36 PM   
Yaab

There is yerba mate and there is political mate.

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 74
RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) - 11/5/2018 9:07:08 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

But it was immensely entertaining.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 75
RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) - 11/6/2018 4:17:43 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

The Allied first turn is the single greatest malevolence against the human race in the 21st century.

No, its the Japanese first turn.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 76
RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) - 11/6/2018 4:23:32 PM   
rustysi

quote:

GamerJack

Get off my site moron.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 77
RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) - 11/7/2018 1:11:22 PM   
Zeta16

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zeta16

quote:

When I have a good fast place opponent, I can average 5 to 7 turns a day. Once you get past that first turn...honestly..it's all about book keeping and I have a system after more then a decade of wrestling with this monster.

I loved playing with you, I like to do at least 5 turns a day when I was playing. Now it is so hard to find someone who can do 3 or more a day. I did not use any trackers and just keep track in my head, but when you do more turns a day it is easier to keep track.

Off course have not had a game in a few years, my last game stop resending turns in 44, would like to play again and but the mods are overly complex to install and frustrate me to now end and it is hard to find someone that wants to play at a decent pace any more.

Yeah, I love a fast paced game. 3 to 5 turns a day shouldn't be overly hard for most. Once you get past the first week or so you can really grind them out and I don't even play that fast anymore. Back in the day I had 3 or 4 games going at once...it's really a matter of organization.

I feel you on the mods. A lot of them out there and while I have enjoyed them a bit it can be confusing. It's why the game I'm currently looking for is going to be vanilla only. Want to get back to the basics....now if I can only find someone up for a game...(hint hint). :P

I should be up for a game, have not played in like a year, might need to reinstall to get the game working good and back to base game with the updates.

"Ours was the first revolution in the history of mankind that truly reversed the course of government, and with three little words: 'We the people.' 'We the people' tell the government what to do, it doesn't tell us." -Ronald Reagan

(in reply to asurob)
Post #: 78
RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) - 4/9/2019 10:17:31 AM   
Edward75

I have an idea!
In future PBEM games need to create a little differently. If it is possible!
After watching turn replay, each player (side) could start making a new turn. When both players are ready, they send each other a file. This files is inserted into game, and you can watch turn replay.
Then each player will NOT wait for his opponent. This way PBEM pace of the game will accelerate!

(in reply to asurob)
Post #: 79
RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) - 4/9/2019 1:22:31 PM   
Anachro

That doesn't sound implementable at all.

(in reply to Edward75)
Post #: 80
RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) - 4/10/2019 8:13:24 AM   
Barb

Why not? Shouldn't be that hard to implement. Orders are set of instructions - for air unit ID, you need to "extract" Mission Types with %, altitude, flight level, target.
For ships it could be ID, TF ID /Port ID, Repair types (in port).
For TFs it could be the control, destination, Patrol, remain, refuel, speed, threat.
For ground units ID, OpMode, Destination, Combat Orders.

These could be extracted on difference from original orders so that the "orders file" wont be too big.
Then both order sets could be merged for single processing by game.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 81
RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) - 4/10/2019 2:56:30 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

I have an idea!
In future PBEM games need to create a little differently. If it is possible!
After watching turn replay, each player (side) could start making a new turn. When both players are ready, they send each other a file. This files is inserted into game, and you can watch turn replay.
Then each player will NOT wait for his opponent. This way PBEM pace of the game will accelerate!

The game has a 'hotseat' setting wherein players can alternate gameplay turns from the same device-back to back.

What you're describing would require both players to be simultaneously by their computers ready to go at the same time. My opinion is that such occasions would be infrequently convenient and not conducive to >1000 turns of a game. Moreso if your erstwhile opponent is in a different time zone.

(in reply to Edward75)
Post #: 82
RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) - 4/10/2019 4:21:44 PM   
Edward75

Not. 'Hotseat' is same as PBEM. Only on one computer. While one player makes a turn, another waits and spends time.
My idea is completely different. Both players can simultaneously give orders and when ready, files are sent and a replay is launched. No one waiting.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 83
RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) - 4/11/2019 5:45:18 PM   
rustysi

I get what you're saying, but I've yet to see any game where orders, input, commands, whatever you choose to call it, are merged together through a simultaneous input. Not a programmer, but also not sure the function would be as easy as you think. Not only that if the orders were to arrive at the server at different times not sure how that would be managed as well.

Of course JMHO. YMMV.

(in reply to Edward75)
Post #: 84
RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) - 4/16/2019 11:26:06 AM   
Edward75

Is it possible to learn how to create a strategic game, simple? To do this, you need a special education or you can learn it yourself? What is needed for this?

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 85
RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) - 7/9/2019 3:40:29 PM   
Edward75

I'm playing a PBEM-game To End All Wars (AGEod) now. It is played simultaneously by three players. So, in it after show battle-replay, Host-player saves file and sends it to all other opponents. And all three players can start giving orders at same time, and when all three files are ready, Host collects them and starts a new turn, etc.
This way of playing (PBEM) is possible and it will speed up the game! No need to wait for your opponent(s) to finish his turn.

< Message edited by Edward75 -- 7/9/2019 3:43:38 PM >

(in reply to Edward75)
Post #: 86
RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) - 7/9/2019 7:59:18 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

No need to wait for your opponent(s) to finish his turn.

Aren't you still (simultaneously) waiting for the other two players to finish their turns before computer resolution? It's just that you're waiting in 'real time' rather than at a late time of your convenience.

(in reply to Edward75)
Post #: 87
RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) - 7/12/2019 9:25:36 AM   
Hoplosternum

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

I get what you're saying, but I've yet to see any game where orders, input, commands, whatever you choose to call it, are merged together through a simultaneous input. Not a programmer, but also not sure the function would be as easy as you think. Not only that if the orders were to arrive at the server at different times not sure how that would be managed as well.

Of course JMHO. YMMV.

But this is done in many games surely? The dominion games (I think the latest is Dominions 5) gathers up all the player turns and then process them together on a server. As there can be a dozen or more factions playing (including AIs) this is much quicker than passing the game from player to player. The game processes when all player turns are in. While this uses a separate server it could easily use the pc of the game creator.

There are plenty of other games that allow simultaneous input of turns.

I don’t think this game could be changed to allow simultaneous input now. But it should have been easy to do that originally. I cannot think of many mechanisms in the game that would be spoilt or need to be changed for this to work. As of now the game waits until it has a complete Japanese and Allied turn before it processes.

PBEM would be speeded up and you could play over a network/ internet - getting several turns in an evening. It would be fairly easy playing with someone you know to coordinate playing most turns fast with the occasional long turn where you both do more planning / training / logistics maintenance to keep the tempo up but still allow reflection adjustment and thinking time.

Sadly it isn’t going to happen now. But I think that was due to its design origins in a time when there was much less over the internet play. The designers just did not see the need and built on the old pacwar email way presumably. But it isn’t really an I go you go game. It is a we go game. But the game only accepts I go you go orders. And so takes much longer to play and is more restricted in how you play.

< Message edited by Hoplosternum -- 7/12/2019 9:27:29 AM >

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 88
RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) - 7/13/2019 7:53:02 PM   
rustysi

quote:

There are plenty of other games that allow simultaneous input of turns.

quote:

I don’t think this game could be changed to allow simultaneous input now.

You're talking about on-line games. No? This isn't an on-line game, and irregardless its not going to be changed at this point.

quote:

PBEM would be speeded up and you could play over a network/ internet - getting several turns in an evening.

Not gonna happen in my case. I've never been able to run multiple turns in one day. At best I can maybe get in one and a half. I refuse to rush my turns just to meet some arbitrary threshold, but that's me. Others I'm sure see it differently. I'm a journey, as opposed to destination type, so there's no rush as far as i'm concerned.

I play to relax, and have no desire to be in any kind of a rush. Besides the anticipation of an executed turn is always near.

(in reply to Hoplosternum)
Post #: 89
RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) - 7/15/2019 10:39:25 PM   
Hoplosternum

quote:

You're talking about on-line games. No? This isn't an on-line game, and irregardless its not going to be changed at this point.

I know it won't happen it was just an idle wish really. We had the conversation with the devs and other forumites during the creation. The answer was the same as yours. There is a prejudice against on-line games (as you call 'em - as if you don't need to go on-line to email your turn!). Online does not necessarily mean a desire to play a shoot'em up or RTS game completed in an evening!

I thought it was an error then, and now should anyone make another monster like this. And of course a we go game can be played - just as now - by email.

quote:

Not gonna happen in my case. I've never been able to run multiple turns in one day. At best I can maybe get in one and a half. I refuse to rush my turns just to meet some arbitrary threshold, but that's me. Others I'm sure see it differently. I'm a journey, as opposed to destination type, so there's no rush as far as i'm concerned.

I play to relax, and have no desire to be in any kind of a rush. Besides the anticipation of an executed turn is always near.

I appreciate that it won't be good for all. No need to kill or change the email option.

But I have a couple of mates from University days. Known them and played board and war games with them for over 30 years. We have even played some big slow wargames like Terrible Swift Sword, Empires in Arms, World in Flames, Europa Universalis (the board game not the PC game based on it), War between the States etc. We have, but never tried, even larger options - Europa, Enemy at the Gates etc. But there have always been issues with such games. Even if you find an opponent the dedication of a whole room for the game (and required for days or weeks before you can break it down) plus while it is the other guys go there is not much to do.

But for some of us to be able to play online and get say half a dozen turns done in an evening would be great. That is not that a fast pace really! Even if we just played once a week that is as good or better than most PBEM games - which literally take longer than the actual war . But they won't play by email. Appears to be too slow and many people (not just my friends) are wary of starting a game with a largely unknown opponent that is a commitment of years (literally). And it would not stop (or change) traditional email play.

Here is a game which removes all the counter stacking and book keeping and adds huge layers of complexity to every action by utilizing the power of a computer. No war game with maps and counters can come close to the richness of WITP:AE. And it pretty much waits for both turns and then processes. So it is a we go game. But you cannot play it that way

I know it cannot and won't be changed now. I suspect because it was built off the back of PACWAR rather than from the ground up there was never a real chance for a genuine we go game. It's origins just did not see the requirement. But the game is so close to being we go and yet isn't It would not just open up the game to many others (and I don't mean the shoot 'em up / RTS crowd - lots of genuine grognards). But also speed up PBEM in some cases. Wouldn't it be good if both players could work on the turn at the same time? Even if you are not trying to do multiple turns a day or speed up the game it would still be good to be able to work on the turn at a time of your choosing rather than needing to wait for your opponent to finish his.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI