Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: All things Football (soccer) related

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  131 132 [133] 134 135   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/9/2019 7:49:06 PM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

I would point out that any Olypmic/World Cup/International competition by it's very nature is political in some way but I would hope that is obvious to most. So in pointing out the arrogance or poor sportsmanship of one or more national teams or individuals on those teams without seeming to be stepping on someone's political toes is near impossible as evidenced in many of the above comments.

I didn't know what all the fuss here was about until I did some googling. But yeah, it certainly doesn't help when your own athletes, who are supposed to be representing your country, use their celebrity status to diss it. Kind of sours some of my joy over our victory now.

Why did you go looking for it then?

So that I know what everyone else is talking about. But I think you have a good point. I probably should have just ignored it. Celebrity antics aren't worth it.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3961
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/9/2019 9:01:08 PM   
Garfieldthecat

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Garfieldthecat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: DD696

I also apologize for a team who doesn't represent the values of the United States of America.

Aye. Arrogance abounds.

Excuse me, but who are you to say what 'the values of the United States of America' are? Please keep politics off this forum. Thank you.

+1 . I think the Women's US Team did an outstanding job, winning back to back World Cups. And I see nothing where they "didn't represent the values of the US". They played clean and won, and they had fun.

Not sure what is wrong with that.

Nothing is wrong with that. I'm not ready to overlook their impressive achievements. Back-to-back World Cup wins. Convincing victories over very different and skilled opponents. Playing through injuries. Very solid coaching. Most scoring and shutouts by any team ever in the World Cup. It was really well done.

Then why did you explicitly call the team out "who doesn't represent the values of the US:?

EDIT: Apologies, I messed up and thought that DD696 was replying, not Chickenboy. It was DD696 who called the team out, and I misread the thread.

< Message edited by Garfieldthecat -- 7/10/2019 2:04:05 AM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3962
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/9/2019 9:01:32 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Well Spurs bought a couple of players..... although promptly loaned one back out again.

With the average age of our squad nearing 47, with us not having enough home grown players, and with the ahem... quality of our football since Christmas being what it was, it would be nice to get a few new faces in perhaps?

so to get this thread back on track.

This is wierd given how much was made a few years back about how young the Spurs squad was - and equally how high levels of fitness were essential to Poch's style of football. Also about creating our own first teamers etc. Indicates that doesn't happen just by accident but by planning ... and you can't describe Spurs' recruitment for the last couple of seasons as planned.

Just have to hope the new players slot in quickly, esp as I presume Erickson is still going to leave?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3963
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/9/2019 9:20:04 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: DD696

I also apologize for a team who doesn't represent the values of the United States of America.

Aye. Arrogance abounds.

Excuse me, but who are you to say what 'the values of the United States of America' are? Please keep politics off this forum. Thank you.

+1 . I think the Women's US Team did an outstanding job, winning back to back World Cups. And I see nothing where they "didn't represent the values of the US". They played clean and won, and they had fun.

Not sure what is wrong with that.

Nothing is wrong with that. I'm not ready to overlook their impressive achievements. Back-to-back World Cup wins. Convincing victories over very different and skilled opponents. Playing through injuries. Very solid coaching. Most scoring and shutouts by any team ever in the World Cup. It was really well done.

Then why did you explicitly call the team out "who doesn't represent the values of the US:?

Think you may have 'quoted' the wrong contributor?

(in reply to Garfieldthecat)
Post #: 3964
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/10/2019 2:02:09 AM   
Garfieldthecat

Whoops, my apologies, you are correct. Let me try and edit that.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3965
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/10/2019 2:34:02 AM   
RangerJoe

Athletics also includes sportsmanship. Off court conduct for my hometown's high school basketball team did get at least one good player off the team. So he transferred to the next town, legal in this state, to play. This happened during the summer.

I like to watch the games, I do not follow the players' antics off the field unless it effects the team playing on the field. Unfortunately, with no television and just using a cell phone for computer seriously limits what I can and do watch.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Garfieldthecat)
Post #: 3966
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/10/2019 3:35:54 AM   
jwarrenw13

I disagreed with Loki on general terms earlier, but I do think that arguing regarding the specifics of US women's team members' actions this year really doesn't serve a good purpose here.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3967
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/10/2019 4:50:35 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

quote:

Well Spurs bought a couple of players..... although promptly loaned one back out again.

With the average age of our squad nearing 47, with us not having enough home grown players, and with the ahem... quality of our football since Christmas being what it was, it would be nice to get a few new faces in perhaps?

so to get this thread back on track.

This is wierd given how much was made a few years back about how young the Spurs squad was - and equally how high levels of fitness were essential to Poch's style of football. Also about creating our own first teamers etc. Indicates that doesn't happen just by accident but by planning ... and you can't describe Spurs' recruitment for the last couple of seasons as planned.

Just have to hope the new players slot in quickly, esp as I presume Erickson is still going to leave?
warspite1

Eriksen? I get the feeling he may be a couple of clubs back up plan in case they can't get their number 1 choice. I don't see how he could expect to play like he did last season and still be first choice at another top club. For Eriksen it then begs the question - how desperate are you to try somewhere new, if that somewhere new is not actually a step up?

I think - if the rumours are true - Spurs would actually like to cash in now anyway. Given his 'form' last season I have no issue with him going - but of course that assumes we are actually going to replace him.....

The bigger problem for Spurs is that because he's been so ineffectual then (depending on other moves) he may not actually move at all - but refuses to sign a new contract - and suddenly we're in Arsenal territory of a player going for free. This is why I think Levy would like him to go.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/10/2019 6:17:49 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3968
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/19/2019 8:59:45 AM   
loki100

Scottish football gets its embarrassment in early this year:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jul/18/kilmarnock-dumped-out-europa-league-connahs-quay-nomads-rangers-aberdeen

so that is one club knocked out of Europe before the end of July

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3969
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/20/2019 1:55:24 AM   
warspite1

quote:

Scottish football gets its embarrassment in early this year:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jul/18/kilmarnock-dumped-out-europa-league-connahs-quay-nomads-rangers-aberdeen

so that is one club knocked out of Europe before the end of July
warspite1

To be fair, there are no easy games in football anymore.....

.... sorry I was lying to try and make you feel better. That was EMBARRASSING!!

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3970
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/20/2019 2:09:12 PM   
loki100

yep, even by the standards of Scottish performances in pre-August European football that was dire.

I really don't understand the logic. Kilmarnock did exceptionally well to get into the Europa league, its unlikely to repeat, not least they lost the manager who got them there. Why not put out a serious side and get the most out of it ... if you run out of steam in Jan/Feb so what, they are too good to go down and unlikely to do particularly well in any case.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3971
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/22/2019 9:57:12 AM   
loki100

on a different topic, its always the hope and optimism that kills you in the end?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1152943509982318593

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3972
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/22/2019 8:24:45 PM   
warspite1

quote:

on a different topic, its always the hope and optimism that kills you in the end?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1152943509982318593
warspite1

....and still the trolls can't shut up about Harry What a goal!!

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3973
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/28/2019 1:22:39 AM   
shunwick

The Irish Guy gives his 2019/2020 Premier League Predictions...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQPG98uNfL0

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3974
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/28/2019 12:06:30 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

The Irish Guy gives his 2019/2020 Premier League Predictions...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQPG98uNfL0

Best wishes,
Steve

Can't much argue with most things he's saying, unfortunately. PL is indeed becoming a French League, where winner is known before the season even starts.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3975
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/28/2019 12:07:26 PM   
Crossroads

There used to be the cup runs to enjoy, but since Man City basically boast two and half first teams and no bench warmers at all, well, there you are.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 3976
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/29/2019 12:37:02 PM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

There used to be the cup runs to enjoy, but since Man City basically boast two and half first teams and no bench warmers at all, well, there you are.

No need to worry about the FA Cup. This is going to be Braintree's year!

I can feel it in my bones. Of course, that could be osteoarthritis but I am looking on the bright side.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 3977
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/29/2019 5:20:28 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

I can feel it in my bones. Of course, that could be osteoarthritis but I am looking on the bright side.

Best wishes,
Steve

That's FA Cup sorted, then

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3978
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/30/2019 3:54:54 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

I've certainly got a monkey on Braintree. Their name is written on the cup this year. Remember where you heard it first.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3979
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/30/2019 3:59:52 PM   
warspite1

quote:

warspite1

I don't think we should press the panic button just yet, but looking at the French league, the Italian, the German and Scottish leagues, football is becoming more polarised and the fact City are owned by a country makes competing difficult for everyone else - even Man United. Interesting that all the talk of them being banned from the CL has died away. As if UEFA were going to take on the owners of City in a legal battle.....

I certainly fear for the direction European football is heading.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 3980
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/31/2019 6:47:11 AM   
Orm

Cheating in football is to profitable, and most honest people even deny it exists.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3981
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/1/2019 11:08:13 AM   
Orm

Football, such a cruel game. A few minutes of extra time can make all the difference in the world. And then the away goal rule ruins a otherwise nice performance. Oh, well, if we couldn't score more on all those chances, and we allow to let them score twice on their three attempts then, perhaps, we didn't deserve to advance.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3982
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/1/2019 11:41:47 AM   
loki100

that sounds very painful ....

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3983
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/1/2019 12:54:51 PM   
Orm

Yes, it was painful. But most of the time it was exciting. Lost 2-1 in the away match. Wins the home match with 2-1 (we scored first and last goal so it was a rollercoaster). Then we get the extra time to try and differ the teams apart and we take the lead and make it 3-1. With 3 minutes left they reduce the score to 3-2 and knock us out. Couldn't have been more dramatic if it followed a manuscript. Alas, they got the ending wrong.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3984
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/8/2019 1:14:48 PM   
shunwick

The Irish Guy gives his 2019/2020 Championship Predictions...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6NXD5gwV2M

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3985
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/8/2019 6:03:47 PM   
warspite1

You can't help but be impressed with the passion and enthusiasm Sky and its presenters have for the Transfer Window - and Deadline Day in particular.

It is nuts really - Vicky Gommersall describing the news that Marcus Rojo will be staying at Manchester United as a fascinating development - sort of tells you all you need to know

Anyway, Tottenham actually took part in the transfer window this year..... which was nice.

Spurs fans were treated to a right royal wind up on Tuesday/Wednesday, when apparently we were going to sign the world and his wife.....

....anyway back in the real world....

So four signings - one of whom was loaned straight back. So three signings - a left back, a defensive midfielder and a sort of attacking midfielder type person.

Assuming Eriksen stays this represents a very slight strengthening of the squad (Trippier and LLorente leaving notwithstanding) but I suspect Spurs will seek to cash in to avoid the Dane going on a free next season. That being the case what have we got?

Well not much really. Ndombele is a replacement for Dembele, Lo Celso arriving would be countered by Eriksen leaving, and Sessegnon is one for the future perhaps.

So no back up for Harry - and indeed with Llorente going we are actually worse off in that department. Looks like Troy Parrott needs to be brought into the first team squad.

Really impressed with Tangkanga, but centre-back is not a position where we are exactly thin on the ground.

With Arsenal, Everton, Wolves and even Manchester United strengthening, I think top 4 is going to be touch and go....

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3986
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/9/2019 4:25:22 PM   
warspite1

And so the Premier League kicks off again tonight with Liverpool facing a trip to Norwich. I shall be tuning in if only to see how VAR shapes up....

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3987
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/9/2019 4:27:50 PM   
loki100

quote:

And so the Premier League kicks off again tonight with Liverpool facing a trip to Norwich. I shall be tuning in if only to see how VAR shapes up....

well that will make it very easy for Norwich to win as the match is at Anfield. Geography dear boy, geography ....

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3988
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/9/2019 5:08:04 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

well that will make it very easy for Norwich to win as the match is at Anfield. Geography dear boy, geography ....
warspite1

Yes, the Norwich manager has pulled off a tactical master stroke. I hear that the Liverpool team bus is currently bombing up the M something or other to get back.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3989
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/10/2019 10:15:59 AM   
Crossroads

Pukki, the GOAT he is, already ahead of Messi, when playing at Anfield.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3990
Page:   <<   < prev  131 132 [133] 134 135   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  131 132 [133] 134 135   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI