Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

chemical arty/trench warfare

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> chemical arty/trench warfare Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
chemical arty/trench warfare - 9/2/2019 4:39:56 PM   
mathiaswargamefan

hello,

again no chemical weapons in the game? it must be included! and also real trench war how it was on the western front.

mathias
Post #: 1
RE: chemical arty/trench warfare - 9/4/2019 12:16:15 AM   
1775Cerberus

I would say they are in an abstract way. Remember that you are dealing with 25 mile hexes. Corps of infantry and cavalry. Squadrons of ships. Chemicals used are just a fraction of the frontage of that 25 mile hex. At best a Brigade frontage of that Corps. They are most certainly there, however at a level of use or command that is several layers below you.

(in reply to mathiaswargamefan)
Post #: 2
RE: chemical arty/trench warfare - 9/6/2019 5:24:21 PM   
Hartmann

Chemical warfare was/is particularily disgusting and thus I don't know how I'd feel about its concrete inclusion - I know this isn't a particularily "good" argument as atomic bombs and strategic bombing of cities as against civilians should be even more disturbing and is still a staple of WW2 strategy games. Anyway, as chemical warfare was basically used in the same role as heavy artillery shelling in preparation of a breakthrough it might be abstractly represented by an artillery upgrade level. Also, I think it was most effective in the very beginning when it came as a surprise, so there might be something like an event representing it.

< Message edited by Hartmann -- 9/6/2019 5:26:18 PM >

(in reply to 1775Cerberus)
Post #: 3
RE: chemical arty/trench warfare - 9/7/2019 3:33:34 PM   
mathiaswargamefan

the "25 mile argument" is then the same problem with arty or rockets, it hit in reality only a small area of the hex....

and the western front trench war is not included, so how it was, unfortunately..

(in reply to Hartmann)
Post #: 4
RE: chemical arty/trench warfare - 9/7/2019 11:33:40 PM   
xwormwood

In a way one could argue that this is included in infantry and artillery techs.

One solution could be to offer "one-time" tech advances, to be used in a single combat of choice.
Ted Raicers "The Great War in Europe" used a chit-pull procedure to offer players some chemcal weapons and flame throwers. If the player was lucky to pull such a chit during the chit pull phase, he could use it to enhance one combat result. But only as long as he was the first player to use this specific gas, like chlorine. Once your opponent used "his" chlorine first, your own chit became worthless, as these weapons only offered a short time bonus, after which all war parties adjusted their forces accordingly.

I like this chit pull phase very much, it was a brilliant way to enhance the game play.

"You will be dead, so long as you refuse to die" (George MacDonald)

(in reply to Hartmann)
Post #: 5
RE: chemical arty/trench warfare - 9/7/2019 11:37:14 PM   
xwormwood

Why do say that the western front trench war is not included?
Have you played the game?

Or do you try to tell that the first SC WW1 game didn't offer a historical accurate trench experience?
If yes, you might want to drop a few lines why you feel this way.

"You will be dead, so long as you refuse to die" (George MacDonald)

(in reply to mathiaswargamefan)
Post #: 6
RE: chemical arty/trench warfare - 9/8/2019 10:04:24 AM   
Hartmann

quote:

ORIGINAL: xwormwood

In a way one could argue that this is included in infantry and artillery techs.

One solution could be to offer "one-time" tech advances, to be used in a single combat of choice.
Ted Raicers "The Great War in Europe" used a chit-pull procedure to offer players some chemcal weapons and flame throwers. If the player was lucky to pull such a chit during the chit pull phase, he could use it to enhance one combat result. But only as long as he was the first player to use this specific gas, like chlorine. Once your opponent used "his" chlorine first, your own chit became worthless, as these weapons only offered a short time bonus, after which all war parties adjusted their forces accordingly.

I like this chit pull phase very much, it was a brilliant way to enhance the game play.

Yeah, because of the initial surprise effect a "one time advantage" would probably be the best solution - in this engine probably via event for the first player reaching and using a certain artillery upgrade level.

(in reply to xwormwood)
Post #: 7
RE: chemical arty/trench warfare - 9/17/2019 2:51:13 AM   
1775Cerberus

After a bit further thought I think that you could add Chemical Warfare as a separate research tree. Level one could give a 0-3% chance of moral reduction. Level two could give 3-6% reduction. While level 3 could give 6-10% reduction. It allows players to pursue chemical warfare to add to the effectiveness of artillery bombardments, but may or may not pay off on a corps level game.

(in reply to Hartmann)
Post #: 8
RE: chemical arty/trench warfare - 10/10/2019 6:23:45 PM   
Xsillione

Simple solution: included into infantry tech.
Little better one: events, asking you to use it or not, if used, it reduces the enemy units next to your a bit, with chance of diplomatic cost.
Somewhat better: Separate tech, cheaper and faster than normal infantry, but cancels out each other, so only your advantage matters.
Proper one: Separate tech and improvement for units, with toggle to use it or just have the defensive part (cancelling out enemy tech), and if used, it can have ramifications.

Probably the first one will be used, if they want to sell the game in some countries and not have any backlash.

(in reply to 1775Cerberus)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> chemical arty/trench warfare Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI