Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Best thing about the game is?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Best thing about the game is? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best thing about the game is? - 9/4/2019 11:13:12 PM   
jagsdomain

Been at this for a bit and I will say that perhaps the best thing about the game is its NOT on line. I own the actual CD and book.
It may sound strange but tired of haveing to be online, relye on other random people to win or lose. Have to put up with chat that can be very disgusting.
Its alot more relaxing than online games.

I dont know if I will ever fully grasp the whole game so the replayabilty is immense.

What is yours???
Post #: 1
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/5/2019 12:26:28 AM   
RangerJoe

There is always something to learn, a new way of doing things.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to jagsdomain)
Post #: 2
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/5/2019 2:46:35 AM   
BBfanboy

Have to agree on the re-playable aspect. I have started at least 10 GC games, all scenario one, and using about three different patch updates. Every game has been significantly different because I tried different strategies, got more comfortable with how much to risk, and like RJ said I learned some new stuff to try and apply in the next game.

Now I am in that sweet spot where I forget as much as I learn, so I will never run out of "new info"!

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 9/5/2019 2:47:17 AM >

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to jagsdomain)
Post #: 3
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/5/2019 2:50:56 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Have to agree on the re-playable aspect. I have started at least 10 GC games, all scenario one, and using about three different patch updates. Every game has been significantly different because I tried different strategies, got more comfortable with how much to risk, and like RJ said I learned some new stuff to try and apply in the next game.

Now I am in that sweet spot where I forget as much as I learn, so I will never run out of "new info"!

That is why sometimes in my comments on AARs that I state what may be obvious to some because they may not know it and/or forgotten it. Since I did not play Uncommon Valor nor WITP, I also don't have habits from those games.

― Julia Child

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/5/2019 4:30:14 AM   
BillBrown

It exists.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 5
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/5/2019 9:54:57 AM   
Encircled

That you can spend three weeks in real time planning the most perfect invasion, and then watching it all fall apart in the space of a ten minute air strike.

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 6
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/5/2019 10:08:34 AM   
Ian R

quote:

ORIGINAL: jagsdomain

I dont know if I will ever fully grasp the whole game so the replayabilty is immense.

After about 2 years (either game time or real-life) you pick up a lot of it. Probably not everything.

Not sure about the best point - what jumps to mind are things which are really interface/control improvements that players have wanted going all the way back to the old DOS game of 30 years ago. Personally, I enjoy managing the combat ships and TFs - down to DD level, and the carrier battles of the early war period.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to jagsdomain)
Post #: 7
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/5/2019 11:11:38 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

The price per hour played - best ROI ever. Paid 80 bucks or so when released, got years of enjoyment.

The games my kids purchase nowadays for their consoles aren't much cheaper, but they are through with them in a week or two.

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 8
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/5/2019 11:40:35 AM   
Schorsch

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

The price per hour played - best ROI ever. Paid 80 bucks or so when released, got years of enjoyment.

The games my kids purchase nowadays for their consoles aren't much cheaper, but they are through with them in a week or two.

make this x2 for me. at first i´v only bought the digital copy, later i picked up the disc aswell, just because i wanted the bookversion of the manual :D

still no regrets

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 9
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/5/2019 12:15:40 PM   
Trugrit

quote:

ORIGINAL: jagsdomain

Been at this for a bit and I will say that perhaps the best thing about the game is its NOT on line. I own the actual CD and book.
It may sound strange but tired of haveing to be online, relye on other random people to win or lose. Have to put up with chat that can be very disgusting.
Its alot more relaxing than online games.

What is yours???

I’m with you on this. I’m not a social gamer.
I don’t like to chat and share feelings.

As I get older that condition is getting worse.

The best thing for me is that this is a serious hardcore wargame.
I take pride in being able to play it, even if I’m not very good at it.

The complexity and steep learning curve weeds out the candy-ass gamers very fast.
Just getting through the install process can kill about half of them.

They are better off playing the simple (shoot it up) online wargames anyway.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Trugrit -- 9/5/2019 12:17:45 PM >

(in reply to jagsdomain)
Post #: 10
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/5/2019 1:09:21 PM   
Squamry

The emotional hit/drain as a long planned op comes to fruition or when sending off a risky turn. I definitely feel the tension in the few days leading up to the execution of a complex plan. My work colleagues must wonder what's bugging me. Unlike any other game the tension lasts a long time and will be unique each time.

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 11
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/5/2019 1:25:12 PM   
Gridley380

There are many, many great things about the game. I have a hard time picking just one, but I'm going to go with the editor.

The fact that you can adjust the OrBat just about infinitely means that every player can make their own choices about historical accuracy vs. gameplay, and decide HOW to implement their version of accuracy. The ability to adjust most of the attributes of most things, to adjust replacement rates, to create entirely new classes of ships and models of aircraft, to adjust pilot stats... all of this lets the game answer a wide variety of "what if" questions in addition to satisfying those players who strive for ever more immersive and historical play.

(in reply to Squamry)
Post #: 12
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/5/2019 1:26:44 PM   
btd64

I would have to go with a game mechanic. The Waypoints system. I remember having to write down the TF and hex destination in the classic WITP so I could redirect the TF to the destination. Or a second or third hex....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Squamry)
Post #: 13
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/5/2019 2:30:24 PM   
LST Express

“Now I am in that sweet spot where I forget as much as I learn, so I will never run out of "new info"!
Man I can relate to that!

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 14
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/5/2019 3:21:23 PM   
pcasey

For me its more the way base building, logistics, and combat all interplay. It gives the player a lot of agency, but its *slow* agency.

*If* you plan well, *then* you will have successful operations, but if you don't you are going to find your combat operations struggle.

I like the ability to build up the base, supply, and logistics infrastructure towards a particular operational plan, and then execute the plan as the "payoff" to the planning phase.

For me the fascinating part of the game is studying the interplay of bases on the map and identifying:

Ok, if I build up these two I already own, I can give air cover to this dot base and land some CB's there, then once that's online I'll be able to LRCAP cruisers in as they bombard this atoll over here, which, in turn, will let me launch an invasion of this island over here.

Its puzzle solving with the occasional smattering of combat :).

(in reply to LST Express)
Post #: 15
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/5/2019 5:33:03 PM   
Dili

For me it is the 3 services represented: naval combat, land combat, air combat. No other game approaches that.

while playing it is the tension and then followed by a well done operation. I also like to manage my side AI operation like giving restrained or agressive orders, seeing my TF being smart enough to retire from a combat that it would risk loosing or instead making multiple interceptions of a weaker enemy in a turn.

(in reply to pcasey)
Post #: 16
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/5/2019 10:25:47 PM   
rustysi

quote:

For me the fascinating part of the game is studying the interplay of bases on the map and identifying:

Ok, if I build up these two I already own, I can give air cover to this dot base and land some CB's there, then once that's online I'll be able to LRCAP cruisers in as they bombard this atoll over here, which, in turn, will let me launch an invasion of this island over here.

Its puzzle solving with the occasional smattering of combat :).

Its the... Matrix. Can't you see it.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 17
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/6/2019 12:28:13 PM   
jagsdomain

Have to laugh about the install. To make it work to weeks and making XTRG rage I am sure trying to help someone that can turn the comupter on and thats about it.
Then trying to make it full screen which its still not there but close!

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 18
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/8/2019 8:59:59 AM   
LeeChard

Check to see if you have -w in your properties command line. If you do, delete it.
Game should run in you Px and Wx size then.

(in reply to jagsdomain)
Post #: 19
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/8/2019 10:43:57 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: LeeChard

Check to see if you have -w in your properties command line. If you do, delete it.
Game should run in you Px and Wx size then.

That was true for me in Win 7, but Win 10 forced me to use a window. I have not tried Kovar's multi-step instruction for getting full screen again.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 20
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/8/2019 3:20:17 PM   
GetAssista

For me, the best thing about WITP is a whole lot of mechanics and details intertwined together to result the effectiveness of your tactical or strategic plan. You have to think about a lot of things simultaneously, not only contemporary but also future ones, including distant future. Great exercise for your brain

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 21
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/8/2019 3:46:45 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

For me, the best thing about WITP is a whole lot of mechanics and details intertwined together to result the effectiveness of your tactical or strategic plan. You have to think about a lot of things simultaneously, not only contemporary but also future ones, including distant future. Great exercise for your brain

Maybe that will help to keep the brain young and Alzheimers away!

― Julia Child

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 22
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/8/2019 7:40:23 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

That is my excuse for playing the game! I am not sure my family and friends think it works ...

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 23
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/8/2019 7:51:26 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

That is my excuse for playing the game! I am not sure my family and friends think it works ...

I think that George Burns used young blondes. You could ask your family if they preferred that.

― Julia Child

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 24
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/8/2019 7:58:00 PM   
jagsdomain

Have to agree there. The suspense is killing me!

(in reply to Squamry)
Post #: 25
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/8/2019 8:07:30 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think that George Burns used young blondes. You could ask your family if they preferred that.

No, no - the young blondes are not for the Alzheimer's/old-timer's disease. They are there to keep me from getting fat.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 26
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/8/2019 9:22:57 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No, no - the young blondes are not for the Alzheimer's/old-timer's disease. They are there to keep me from getting fat.

So that is my problem!

― Julia Child

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 27
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/8/2019 11:47:14 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So that is my problem!

BBfanboy, if you have any blondes you don't desperately need...I want to lose some weight.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 28
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/20/2019 5:01:49 AM   
L0ckAndL0ad

As a gamer, I strongly value authenticity of this game, level of simulation and its scope (grand campaign). All other more or less modern games with carrier warfare and a grand campaign of such scale are either mechanically broken, too simple or too abstract/not authentic. I'm by no means a fanboy. I think there are lots of things in WITP AE that could be improved, simplified and streamlined, but it is the best game there is so far. And it's fully playable, stable. I had great hopes for Pacific Storm: Allies and Victory At Sea: Pacific, but they are unplayable. Other great games about carrier warfare lack grand campaign (Carriers at War, CMANO, etc). So, basically, WITP AE is the best there is for me.

I think about WITP AE almost every day, even though I haven't played for a year or so. I WILL continue my campaign when I get more time on my hands. It is great to remember about what happened to me in the game (one of the reasons for me to write an AAR). Also, the music. I love the soundtrack! Oh, and there's a multiplayer, even though I haven't played one yet and probably may never will. But it could be great. At least reading others play PBEMs is very cool.

As a game designer, I think it's great that tactical combat is simulated and is not directly playable. It allows AI to kick player's arse on the smallest level of play. Creating strong tactical AI is VERY hard, and even if you do make one, players will always find ways to nail it anyway, by coming up with some sort of meta. Operational/strategic AI or even plain scripting is way easier to create. And for strategy games, it is kind of important. Like, really, super important :)

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 29
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/20/2019 11:45:51 AM   
AlessandroW

For me in no particulars order:

1) WEGO system: really the best feature for a game, you cannot made preassumptions because you know exactly where the enemy units are disclocated

2) Logistic: a game in the game

3) Naval/Air/Ground combat in the same game

4) Historically accurate

5) Mental challenge: you can spend all day thinking about your turn, more stronger the opponnent more fun the game

(in reply to L0ckAndL0ad)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Best thing about the game is? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI