Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/20/2019 2:30:14 AM   
rms1pa

west coast restricted air units are good for search ,training pilots and some(not all) are a reserve of political points if you withdraw them,

there is a chance for a bold jap player to attack the west coast with devastating effect, take portland perhaps. so dont get too casual about the safety of conus.

rms/pa

there is a technical term for those who confuse the opinions of an author's characters for the opinions of the author.
the term is IDIOT.

(in reply to Aksully)
Post #: 151
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/20/2019 3:23:23 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aksully

Hi Kull,
Still working through your "Bible" of WITPAE SS! At San Luis Obispo (beautiful place BTW) I'm showing in my Day 2game at the AF a B25 Mitchell BG (17BG/37BS) and the HQ's unit in Seattle. Also in Seattle I see a Walrus and Kingfisher that aren't listed on your SS. Appreciate your comment on this. The B25's are to be withdrawn in Feb 42. So I assume the remain on the West Coast and just do Naval Search or ASW Patrol? Thx!

Those float planes belong to BBs Colorado and Warspite repairing/refitting at Seattle.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Aksully)
Post #: 152
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/20/2019 4:25:05 AM   
Aksully

Thanks for the clarifications guys! Overlooked that the Walrus and Kingfisher units were attached to the repairing BB's!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 153
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/20/2019 2:20:10 PM   
Kull

quote:

Hi Kull,
Still working through your "Bible" of WITPAE SS! At San Luis Obispo (beautiful place BTW) I'm showing in my Day 2game at the AF a B25 Mitchell BG (17BG/37BS) and the HQ's unit in Seattle. Also in Seattle I see a Walrus and Kingfisher that aren't listed on your SS. Appreciate your comment on this. The B25's are to be withdrawn in Feb 42. So I assume the remain on the West Coast and just do Naval Search or ASW Patrol? Thx!

One thing you'll notice is that Allied pilots have abysmal skills, so I dedicate most of the West Coast air units for training. Even so, that B-25 has a decent number of airframes and good ASW range, plus the Japanese start the game with a veritable nest of subs patrolling around LA. Since a spotted sub is a less effective sub AND you will soon be sending a number of really important convoys out of LA, those guys can help keep them a bit safer (even though they have terrible ASW skills).

< Message edited by Kull -- 7/20/2019 2:22:33 PM >

(in reply to Aksully)
Post #: 154
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/20/2019 5:23:36 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

quote:

Hi Kull,

One thing you'll notice is that Allied pilots have abysmal skills, so I dedicate most of the West Coast air units for training. Even so, that B-25 has a decent number of airframes and good ASW range, plus the Japanese start the game with a veritable nest of subs patrolling around LA. Since a spotted sub is a less effective sub AND you will soon be sending a number of really important convoys out of LA, those guys can help keep them a bit safer (even though they have terrible ASW skills).

If ASW skills are really bad, you can use Nav Search instead. Less chance of an attack but the low ASW skills mean an effective attack is unlikely anyway.
The NavS can spot the sub and get a D/L and small craft can be sent out to harass it.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 155
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/20/2019 5:41:35 PM   
Aksully

Thanks Kull and BBfanboy for the feedback. Is it advisable to leave the 17 BG Hq unit in Seattle or move it to SLO or LA? Still feel stupid asking about the Walrus and Kingfisher units. Totally forgot they're attached to the two BBs under repair! Duh.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 156
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/22/2019 12:45:27 AM   
engineer

Thx for the work on the spreadsheet, Kull.

(in reply to Aksully)
Post #: 157
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 8/1/2019 10:06:26 AM   
traskott

I'm in the middle of a PBEM ( hi Dan! ) and although the excel is great to keep things ordered in 1942, from 6/1943 towards the end, I'm having some difficulties keeping my troops organized ( oh my! THAT's where my USMC division was resting ). Any ideas?

(in reply to engineer)
Post #: 158
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 8/1/2019 12:37:54 PM   
Gridley380

quote:

ORIGINAL: traskott

I'm in the middle of a PBEM ( hi Dan! ) and although the excel is great to keep things ordered in 1942, from 6/1943 towards the end, I'm having some difficulties keeping my troops organized ( oh my! THAT's where my USMC division was resting ). Any ideas?

I've more than once seriously considered printing a poster-size version of one of the AE planning maps and sticking pins in it for major formations (I've got some old map flags in various shapes and colors).

(in reply to traskott)
Post #: 159
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 8/1/2019 3:31:32 PM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: traskott

For LCUs, I mostly rely on the "Future Objective" to keep track of who is planned to go where (and then use the "List all ground units" button and sort by Target).

For ships (and even air and LCUs) I'll often create 1-ship TFs back in LA or SF and put "reminders" in the TF title. The TF itself isn't going anywhere, but "looking at TFs in Port" is one of my standard processes, so it's a good way to ensure I remember things, plus it's a reminder system that exists entirely inside the game (rather than external notebooks or scraps of paper).

(in reply to traskott)
Post #: 160
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 8/1/2019 3:33:59 PM   
Gridley380

quote:

For ships (and even air and LCUs) I'll often create 1-ship TFs back in LA or SF and put "reminders" in the TF title. The TF itself isn't going anywhere, but "looking at TFs in Port" is one of my standard processes, so it's a good way to ensure I remember things, plus it's a reminder system that exists entirely inside the game (rather than external notebooks or scraps of paper).

Good idea, I'm going to steal it. :-)

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 161
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 8/1/2019 5:59:04 PM   
Kull

Hotkey & Credits Screen Swap:

(This was originally intended as a response to a thread in the main forum, but that one has a size and type limitation on attachments, whereas it will work here. Plus it's a useful feature that new players in particular may find helpful.)

One of the nice features of the chemkid map system is the "Credits" button (top right of the game GUI) now displays the "Hotkey" list. Meanwhile, the credits aren't lost, but are the last screen which displays when you load up a save game. I don't consider this switch to be a slap at the devs, since the player is going to see the credits MUCH more frequently this way.

Anyway, you can get the same result regardless of which map system you use, simply by downloading the 2 attached zips (this one and the one below) and copying the two files into your "War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\ART" folder. I have to say, it's a real blessing to have the hotkey list so readily available!

This first file is the new "credits" screen (actually the hotkeys):

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gridley380)
Post #: 162
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 8/1/2019 6:00:00 PM   
Kull

And here is the second file (the credits, which will now appear in the game load screen):

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 163
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 8/3/2019 2:08:34 AM   
Aksully

quote:

And here is the second file (the credits, which will now appear in the game load screen):

Thanks Kull this is great! A couple of questions for you if you don't mind?
First in your experience against the AI is it better to put most of your forces in Manila or Bataan?

Second, I must be blind but I can't find a list of terrain defense bonuses? This applies to the above question of is it better to defend in Urban Light or Jungle? Thx!

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 164
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 8/3/2019 7:49:44 AM   
Schorsch

page 189 in the manual (8.3.1) has the terrainmodifiers

(in reply to Aksully)
Post #: 165
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 8/3/2019 7:56:49 AM   
jdsrae

quote:

quote:

First in your experience against the AI is it better to put most of your forces in Manila or Bataan?

Second, I must be blind but I can't find a list of terrain defense bonuses? This applies to the above question of is it better to defend in Urban Light or Jungle? Thx!

Also look at Clark Field which I believe is Jungle Rough. Do not give that hex up without a fight.
I’m no expert, but I’d prioritise Clark/Bataan over Manila but still leave enough at Manila to give anything less than a fully formed IJA Division a bloody nose.
Once you see what IJA lands where, and with a bit of recon, you may have time to adjust.

Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655

(in reply to Aksully)
Post #: 166
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 8/3/2019 4:56:54 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Neither.

quote:

is it better to defend in Urban Light or Jungle?

Both are the same, x2.

The above being said, Clark is jungle rough, which equates to x3 terrain.

So I'd say your best defense, at least in scen1 on a standard map, is to defend Clark/Bataan. This is because Bataan controls the CD's guns that in turn control the approaches not only to herself, but to Clark and Manila as well. While its true you get some supply form Manilas' LI, its not a whole lot. Additionally if Japan doesn't change anything she has only ~2.5 divisions to conquer Luzon, and provide a garrison for Manila. That's a pretty steep pair of objectives for such a small force given the terrain they must overcome.

Being a JFB, that's my humble opinion. Of course as usual, YMMV.

< Message edited by rustysi -- 8/3/2019 4:58:40 PM >

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 167
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 8/3/2019 4:58:05 PM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: jdsrae

Also look at Clark Field which I believe is Jungle Rough. Do not give that hex up without a fight.
I’m no expert, but I’d prioritise Clark/Bataan over Manila but still leave enough at Manila to give anything less than a fully formed IJA Division a bloody nose.
Once you see what IJA lands where, and with a bit of recon, you may have time to adjust.

+1

Against the AI (always that qualifier), I leave a few PA units in Manila so it isn't a walkover, but the real defense is at Clark and Bataan. 4th Marines are the toughest unit, and the one that can ensure a longer siege in Bataan, so they always go there, along with enough Eng units to build the defenses as high as possible. The real problem with sticking all your units in Bataan is they eat a lot of supply AND the Japs will soon bomb your surplus supply down to nothing. So spread things out a bit to make that harder to do, for a while anyway.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schorsch

Correct, thanks. Worth noting that the Bellum Pacifica map places this table in the top right of the map (instead of the terrain-type pictorial. Very helpful to have that information readily visible:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 168
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 8/3/2019 5:01:45 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Worth noting that the Bellum Pacifica map places this table in the top right of the map

Is that a 'standard' type map otherwise?

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 169
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 8/3/2019 5:06:03 PM   
Schorsch

same goes for the topo map project btw ;)

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 170
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 8/3/2019 5:07:00 PM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

Worth noting that the Bellum Pacifica map places this table in the top right of the map

Is that a 'standard' type map otherwise?

Yes it is. Large Slow Target highly recommended it (as have others) as a good compromise that features both beauty and clear delineation of terrain types (the primary fault of the otherwise wonderful chemkid offerings).

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 171
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 8/3/2019 5:35:35 PM   
rustysi

Thanks. Any idea where I may view and then down load?

And yes, I like chemkids' maps, but they seemed to 'blur' some map features. Like the shallow ocean hexes, at least to my old eyes.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 172
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 8/3/2019 8:30:36 PM   
Kull

quote:

Thanks. Any idea where I may view and then down load?

And yes, I like chemkids' maps, but they seemed to 'blur' some map features. Like the shallow ocean hexes, at least to my old eyes.

The link to MakeeLearn's thread was in my earlier post:

Bellum Pacifica

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 173
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 8/4/2019 1:49:15 AM   
Aksully

quote:

Found it in my manual on page 186 8.3.1 Overland Movement! Duh. I was looking in the index for Terrain Modifiers! Silly me. Thx!

(in reply to Schorsch)
Post #: 174
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 8/4/2019 1:51:44 AM   
Aksully

quote:

Thx Schorsch! Found it on page 186 Overland Movement. I'm a logical guy so not the heading I thought I'd find it under! :)

(in reply to Schorsch)
Post #: 175
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 8/4/2019 1:54:45 AM   
Aksully

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thank you JD for this. I think I'll plan for a defensive line like you suggest here which seems to coincide with Kull's SS. Then I'll adjust as results dictate. Much appreciated! :)

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 176
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 8/4/2019 1:57:31 AM   
Aksully

quote:

quote:

+1

Against the AI (always that qualifier), I leave a few PA units in Manila so it isn't a walkover, but the real defense is at Clark and Bataan. 4th Marines are the toughest unit, and the one that can ensure a longer siege in Bataan, so they always go there, along with enough Eng units to build the defenses as high as possible. The real problem with sticking all your units in Bataan is they eat a lot of supply AND the Japs will soon bomb your surplus supply down to nothing. So spread things out a bit to make that harder to do, for a while anyway.

quote:

Correct, thanks. Worth noting that the Bellum Pacifica map places this table in the top right of the map (instead of the terrain-type pictorial. Very helpful to have that information readily visible:

I was debating on loading this Map. But I've got the info and you all have been a big help with my question. Thanks again!

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 177
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 8/4/2019 2:08:58 AM   
Aksully

quote:

quote:

Neither.

quote:

is it better to defend in Urban Light or Jungle?

Both are the same, x2.

The above being said, Clark is jungle rough, which equates to x3 terrain.

So I'd say your best defense, at least in scen1 on a standard map, is to defend Clark/Bataan. This is because Bataan controls the CD's guns that in turn control the approaches not only to herself, but to Clark and Manila as well. While its true you get some supply form Manilas' LI, its not a whole lot. Additionally if Japan doesn't change anything she has only ~2.5 divisions to conquer Luzon, and provide a garrison for Manila. That's a pretty steep pair of objectives for such a small force given the terrain they must overcome.

Being a JFB, that's my humble opinion. Of course as usual, YMMV.

Thanks Rusty for your input! It's not a humble opinion, but one based on knowledge of the game and it's mechanics. That's what I lack so again...Thx!

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 178
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 9/12/2019 2:33:29 PM   
Steven545

Just downloaded your spreadsheet, it looks the dogs,lol.
I've been trying to get into a campaign game for months but always have up after an hour or so due too overwhelming feeling of hopelessness. So tonight I'm going to finally over come my fear lol.
Thanks for all your hard work

(in reply to Aksully)
Post #: 179
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 9/12/2019 4:03:42 PM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steven545

Just downloaded your spreadsheet, it looks the dogs,lol.
I've been trying to get into a campaign game for months but always have up after an hour or so due too overwhelming feeling of hopelessness. So tonight I'm going to finally over come my fear lol.
Thanks for all your hard work

Happy to help, and good for you! Even now, 10 years later, I can still remember that feeling! Feel free to ask any questions, but keep in mind that it's easy to get bogged down in the minutuae. If something isn't immediately clear, just make your best guess (or highlighlight the row as something to revisit later) and just keep going. This literally takes days of human time to finish, but the good news is that you will figure out a LOT in the process. Which is really the main idea.

And the turns that follow will be infinitely easier, if for no other reason than you have most of the balls rolling so there's far less to do!

(in reply to Steven545)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI