Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/14/2019 10:27:49 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

If the AE forumites had to write the script for that film, I have no doubt it would be amazingly accurate, but unspeakably dull.

Emmerich seems to be ramming all the action he can in, which makes sense given that watching two hours of code breaking and planning meetings would not make engaging viewing.

Watching the trailer, seems a pretty fair representation of history. Will wait and see what the reviews say.

Cramming in lots of action is one of the reasons I hated the opening sequence of Saving Private Ryan. They crammed the carnage that took place over miles of beach into a few hundred yards.

Obviously the purpose of that sequence has went right over your head.

quote:

I get that they wanted to shock the viewers, but that was overboard and gave the impression no one survived the landing intact.

The bulk of Omaha casualties were concentrated in the first wave.

quote:

But I am a purist who has watched lots of actual war footage so I am sure that is not most people's reaction.

Yeah, and I'm Steven Spielberg.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Museum Director: "We'll attract a bigger audience if we cram more action into this display. Instead of the president getting shot in a booth and the perpetrator jumping down and escaping, let's have him seated in the audience amidst a group of children and Booth having a bazooka and zooming down a zip line."

Surely I don't need to explain that different mediums require different approaches to displaying events?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 31
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/14/2019 10:46:43 PM   
Canoerebel

Yeah, I know. :)

But the point is that history is history, for some of us. Taking big liberties with it is kind of sacrilegious.

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 32
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/14/2019 11:12:03 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Museum Director: "We'll attract a bigger audience if we cram more action into this display. Instead of the president getting shot in a booth and the perpetrator jumping down and escaping, let's have him seated in the audience amidst a group of children and Booth having a bazooka and zooming down a zip line."

"Oh! Oh! I've got it! To appeal to the younger audience, when he jumps down onto the stage and yells, "Sic semper tyrannis", an ill-tempered Tyrannosaurus pushes through the stage curtains and sics Booth!"

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 33
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/15/2019 1:02:30 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

wearwolves and vampires.

Wearwolves? Are those stories about canidae with a sizable wardrobe?

Per the song "Werewolves of London"

"Stay away from him, He'll rip your lungs out Jim! , ...but I'd like to meet his tailor."

"Werewolves of Midway... He'll rip your flight deck out..."

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 34
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/15/2019 5:16:09 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

"Oh! Oh! I've got it! To appeal to the younger audience, when he jumps down onto the stage and yells, "Sic semper tyrannis", an ill-tempered Tyrannosaurus pushes through the stage curtains and sics Booth!"

Can I have tickets to that, please.

As long as it isn't a real Tyrannosaurus, of course.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 35
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/15/2019 5:21:57 AM   
warspite1

quote:

Yeah, I know. :)

But the point is that history is history, for some of us. Taking big liberties with it is kind of sacrilegious.
warspite1

Taking big liberties with history = sacrilege

Surely Canoerebel, if that were the charge then there would be no historical films to be watched?

It's clear from what people have written over many posts of this nature that we all have our lines that shouldn't be crossed. But no film will ever be perfect and we can still enjoy films with ahistorical content so long as its the right side of our own personal line. How big is big?

Celluloid aberrations like for example Pearl Harbor, Titanic or U-571 aside, where the hideousness of the script/story/CGI/acting are soooo bad that they defy comprehension, most (all?) films will have the grognard sucking their teeth - but to a greater or lesser extent may remain worth watching.

As for this film, we'll have to wait and see - but early signs are that this could be Pearl Harbor II - 2 Pearl 2 Harbour.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 9/15/2019 5:28:02 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 36
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/15/2019 5:40:10 AM   
Orm

I have no problem with 'fantasy' films in a historical setting. It is just when they claim that it is a film about a historical event and it is pure fantasy, then that it passes the line for me. Creams my corn, if you will.

The movie that should not be mentioned, for example. It is a load of Tottenham, that is. Yeah, a steaming pile of Hotspur.

I am sorry Warspite1, and other spurs fans. I recently was remembered by that quote and I've been looking for a place to use it since.

< Message edited by Orm -- 9/15/2019 5:41:22 AM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 37
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/15/2019 6:20:56 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

The movie that should not be mentioned, for example. It is a load of Tottenham, that is. Yeah, a steaming pile of Hotspur.

warspite1

Oh my, my.... that sounds like it must have a been a really, really not very good film at all. Must have been Titanic .

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 38
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/15/2019 6:32:11 AM   
Orm

Yeah, Titanic, if that were a historical war film, then it would have been a new kind of bad.

Although, what would I know. I haven't actually seen the film.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 39
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/15/2019 6:44:46 AM   
Kursk1943

A bit off topic...but when I saw that Roland Emmerich made the movie it reminded me of a quote a German General made about the abysmal performance of Russian cossacks in German service after D-Day:
"Russians fighting for Germans in France against Americans - no wonder it did'nt work!"

So a German making a movie about Americans fighting against Japanese...wonder how it will work.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 40
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/15/2019 7:05:35 AM   
warspite1

quote:

Yeah, Titanic, if that were a historical war film, then it would have been a new kind of bad.

warspite1

Its obviously not a war film (and if it were that would indeed be a new kind of bad ) , but it is a film about an historical event - Canoerebel said 'history is history' and did not limit this to military history. You say you haven't seen it - lucky you, you should keep it that way - aside from old whatsherface getting her norks out, the film has no redeeming quality whatsoever from an historical perspective.... well I suppose on reflection they got the name of the ship right and gave her four stacks so that was nice......

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 41
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/15/2019 7:58:59 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miller

I have to admit my entire interest in the pacific WW2 theatre came from watching the original Midway movie as a child. Sure, looking back it has lots of flaws which I won't go into now, but at the time not all the facts from the battle were known and there was no CGI for the battle scenes.

I remember watching it with my father in the 1970-ies... still have fond memories...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 42
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/15/2019 8:20:36 AM   
fcooke

Pete Best? Did 'Dick' also go by Pete? Not being sly here, just never heard him referred to by that name before....

Nell chopping the Big E SBD in 42 is a new one for me - did that happen in the Marshalls raid? Looking to learn.

And I probably should have searched to see if such a film has already been made, but the defense of Wake Island has oodles of drama that a film maker could have fun with. Pan Am Clipper (so we can throw some romance), Wildcats sinking ships, Civilian contractors bearing weapons (which brought us the SeaBees later), the near early showdown of flat tops. Reinforcement attempt. Repulsed first landing attempt (and if comms were better the 2nd might failed as well).

Regards,
Frank

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 43
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/15/2019 8:42:13 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

the film has no redeeming quality whatsoever from an historical perspective.... well I suppose on reflection they got the name of the ship right and gave her four stacks so that was nice......

Thank you for the laugh. It always brightens the day when you get a real laugh.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 44
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/15/2019 12:44:16 PM   
Canoerebel

There are a lot of films that tell great tales without sacrificing historical accuracy, at least in ways the sully the work.

A few I can think of: Schindler's List, Stalag 17, Mister Roberts, Gettysburg, Letters from Iwo Jima.

Then there are movies - well intentioned - that exaggerate for dramatic effect and, in so doing, lose credibility among those of us who know the real stories (but maybe not the general populace). Hacksaw Ridge and We were Soldiers Once come to mind.

And there are those who don't even try: TMTSNBN is a leading example.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 45
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/15/2019 2:40:35 PM   
jagsdomain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miller

I have to admit my entire interest in the pacific WW2 theatre came from watching the original Midway movie as a child. Sure, looking back it has lots of flaws which I won't go into now, but at the time not all the facts from the battle were known and there was no CGI for the battle scenes.

I'm surprised they've even bothered doing a new movie on it, considering the youth of today would have little or no interest in it (maybe men over 40 would but thats it, I doubt any women would want to watch it). Obvioulsy it has been "spiced up" a lot to try and appeal to a wider market, but imo it's doomed to be a massive turkey.

Rmeric does great work. Please dont right ir off. WW2 movies are better done than Civil War movies

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 46
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/16/2019 12:02:08 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

Then there are movies - well intentioned - that exaggerate for dramatic effect and, in so doing, lose credibility among those of us who know the real stories (but maybe not the general populace). Hacksaw Ridge and We were Soldiers Once come to mind.

Therein lies the rub.

Movies are not being made for the AE audience. They are being produced for the general public without an in-depth understanding of events.

I'd also disagree that any historically themed film has to be a slavish reproduction of fact - the purpose of a film is to tell a story.

That differs from a documentary that seeks to communicate facts. I feel that AE forumites would do well to know the difference.

Nobody blasts Shakespeare as he got the politics of England during the War of the Roses wrong, do they?

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Its obviously not a war film (and if it were that would indeed be a new kind of bad ) , but it is a film about an historical event - Canoerebel said 'history is history' and did not limit this to military history. You say you haven't seen it - lucky you, you should keep it that way - aside from old whatsherface getting her norks out, the film has no redeeming quality whatsoever from an historical perspective.... well I suppose on reflection they got the name of the ship right and gave her four stacks so that was nice......

Amusingly enough, James Cameron made a significant effort after diving the wreck (and gaining an appreciation for the human aspect of the story) to get the story as close to the truth as possible, and even to this day continues to make minor corrections on inaccuracies (see recent documentary he made about the break-up).

Given that everything that happens during (SPOILERS!) the sinking section of the movie has basis in either fact or testimony, Titanicis probably one of the most factually accurate movies based on a historical event.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 47
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/16/2019 4:29:41 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

....Titanicis probably one of the most factually accurate movies based on a historical event.

warspite1

...and that is one of the most unfortunate posts I've ever witnessed on these forums.

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 48
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/16/2019 4:38:13 PM   
Canoerebel

There are many examples of historically accurate movies that were highly successful, including recent years. I don't think anybody disputes that Schindler's List, Darkest Hour, Dunkirk, and Gettyburg tired to get things right and mostly did, naturally with some exceptions. They were well done, they made good faith efforts to tell the stories truthfully, and they were highly regarded and pretty successful.

There are others that were made less accurately to appeal to a broader or younger or less informed audience. They have the right to do that, of course, seeking to maximize the return on their investment. But they'll often lose this segment of the population - people who know history and don't like wild distortions.

Hollywood can make a movie in which Abraham Lincoln is a vampire slayer or a non-binary vegan, but I'm not interested.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 49
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/16/2019 4:41:44 PM   
Canoerebel

I've written about Georgians on Titanic. In doing so, I read a great deal of information about what happened and interviewed some of leading experts (at the time, anyhow - around 2002). The hisorical portrayal of what happened is pretty accurate - especially the physical aspects of the ship taking on water, foundering, and breaking up.

Now the love story added to appeal to audiences? That was pretty cringe-worthy. But the movie is a credible portrayal of a momentous historical event.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 50
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/16/2019 6:22:53 PM   
warspite1

quote:

.....But the movie is a credible portrayal of a momentous historical event.
warspite1

You wrote earlier:

quote:

And yet you defend this pile of filth.

Not meaning to pick you out here Canoerebel - if you are happy with the film then that is your opinion. But I think the two comments re Titanic do go to illustrate perfectly the point that one person's 'line that can't be crossed' is another persons, 'yeah whatever'.

Titanic is an abomination, Cameron's treatment of Officer Murdoch was a total and utter disgrace. To put into context, so those here who had parents or grandparents in the war, imagine how you'd feel if - for absolutely no reason whatsoever (other than a quick buck) - your relative (who you see as a hero) was named in a war film as a soldier that was court-martialled for being a rapist or a pead or a murderer or something equally horrific. This is your relative being named in full so there is no doubt as to who is being identified and accused of a crime. Imagine that. Nice.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 51
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/16/2019 10:11:25 PM   
Canoerebel

There's a lot of misinformation and inaccurate legends about Titanic and a lot of uncertainty and gray areas involved with the sinking and actions of key players. Within that framework it would be possible to portray characters in movies in ways that one person found credible and another didn't. If so that may not be distortion merely to make a buck. We know that Titanic wasn't trying to set a speed record; we know the builders intentionally gave her less lifeboat capacity than the capacity shipboard (because she was supposed to stay afloat long enough to allow ferrying of passengers to rescue ships); we know that poor passengers were behind locked gates and doors but that it wasn't due to racism or any other kind of -ism (they were immigrating, thus restricted to certain areas, unable to move about the ship freely, and thus disproportionately became casualties due to their confinement).

If I watch Titanic and don't know anything about officer Murdoch, I'm not going to have any problem with his portrayal because I don't know any better. If I watch TMTSNBN, I'm going to have a problem with the two fighter pilot characters because I know that they didn't serve in England, fly Doolittle's B-25s, etc.

It's been a long time since I've seen Titanic, but nothing stands out in my memory that was horrendous in the portrayal of First Officer Murdoch. But I didn't know him nor do I know the truth of what he experienced and what he did.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 52
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/16/2019 11:16:04 PM   
RangerJoe

Just pop a lot of popcorn and watch a good movie like Kelly's Heros, the Rocky Horror Picture Show, or even K19 the Widow Maker, and be entertained. Otherwise, watch a documentary or a movie that passes for a documentary.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 53
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/16/2019 11:42:02 PM   
rustysi

quote:

If the AE forumites had to write the script for that film, I have no doubt it would be amazingly accurate, but unspeakably dull.

No doubt.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 54
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/16/2019 11:42:59 PM   
rustysi

quote:

watch a documentary

Even those have so much that is wrong in them.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 55
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/16/2019 11:44:50 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Just pop a lot of popcorn and watch a good movie like Kelly's Heros, the Rocky Horror Picture Show, or even K19 the Widow Maker, and be entertained. Otherwise, watch a documentary or a movie that passes for a documentary.

I watched a Russian movie about a clutch of apartment buildings in Stalingrad being defended by a small Russian force against a small but better-armed German force. You never knew which of the characters would die or be badly wounded, both sides made mistakes and even the romance they built into the plot was a bittersweet doomed relationship and everyone knew it. Its purpose was to show how men seek the solace of love in the midst of the madness of war.

The only scene that was hokey was a Russian A/T gun using a ricochet shot with his last shell to knock out the last German tank hiding behind some rubble. Unnecessary theatrics.
You were left with a bitter taste in your mouth that no one was the untouchable hero or detestable villain, and the battle was far too costly for no particular advantage other than killing each other. That is exactly how one should feel about Stalingrad and other meat grinders.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 56
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/17/2019 1:38:25 AM   
RangerJoe

Maybe it did happen, that ricochet shot so they put it into the movie. Do you have the name of the movie?

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 57
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/17/2019 3:29:46 AM   
BBfanboy

I think it was called something like "The Building", but in Russian. All the dialogue was Russian or German with subtitles IIRC.

EDIT: My mistake - the movie was just called "Stalingrad". Here's a trailer"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqHzs4PtqIE

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 9/17/2019 3:34:49 AM >

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 58
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/17/2019 4:52:30 AM   
warspite1

quote:

It's been a long time since I've seen Titanic, but nothing stands out in my memory that was horrendous in the portrayal of First Officer Murdoch.

warspite1

William McMaster Murdoch was not a made up character. He was very real. He served as an officer on board Titanic on that fateful night.

As far as we know from all the witness statements, Officer Murdoch did his duty that night, despite the fact that as an officer he knew he was unlikely to survive the sinking.

Yes there were reports of an officer shooting himself just before Titanic went down, but even if correct, there are no witnesses that can confirm who that officer was.

But Cameron decided it was Murdoch. But that is not the least of it. Because Cameron also decided to make First Officer Murdoch a bribe-taking coward who murdered two unarmed steerage class passengers (Irish naturally) before shooting himself.

Apparently the scenes were altered from the original Cameron dreamed up to make the bribe taking more ambiguous. But the given the way Murdoch throws the money back at Billy Zane's character (and the narrative that goes with it), there is little doubt what was being conveyed - and to suggest otherwise is simply disingenuous.

So this officer, a man who did his duty in helping to save passengers, and has a memorial in his hometown of Dalbeattie in Scotland where he is considered a hero, and where at the time the film was made he had close relatives (nephew) still living, has his name trashed for no good reason than making a buck.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 9/17/2019 6:05:23 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 59
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/17/2019 5:06:14 AM   
Lovejoy

quote:

So this officer, a man who did his duty in helping to save passengers, and has a memorial in his hometown of Dalbeattie in Scotland where he is considered a hero, and where at the time the film was made he had close relatives (nephew) still living, has his name trashed for no good reason than making a buck.

Seems similar to what Cy Endfeld did to Private Henry Hook in the movie Zulu. The movie makes him out to be a self-centered drunk malingering in the hospital at Rourke's Drift. The real Henry Hook had been a well-regarded soldier (good-conduct pay and all) and a strict methodist lay-preacher who was a part of the detachment guarding the hospital.

Two of his daughters were present at the UK premiere, and they were so disgusted by it that they walked out of it.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI