Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  106 107 [108] 109 110   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/3/2019 5:34:07 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

I watched the last episodes of Poldark (series 5) and The Handmaids Tale (series 3).

I have to say that Poldark's last series could have been a lot better, but at the end of the day, I thoroughly enjoyed the 5 seasons. The Cornish landscape was a star in its own right and, having watched the original series with mum and dad warspite, it was like the return of an old friend. Hopefully there will be some spin offs in the future.

The Handmade's Tale ended pretty strongly - although someone really needs to make the action more believable. Allowing the Martha to leave the house, really? And why didn't the guard being pelted with rocks call for back up? A bit silly but.....

Despite being sometimes ponderous and lacking in action, I would still recommend the series and look forward to season 4.

Whatever happened to Robin Ellis? Apart from 1 episode of Fawlty Towers I don't remember him elsewhere.
warspite1

Seems he's remained active

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Ellis

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3211
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/3/2019 12:18:47 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

The Cornish landscape

Was that like Nebraska about this time of year?

warspite1

I've never been to Nebraska but if Nebraska is full of sandy beaches, craggy rocks and high cliffs and stunning sea views, plus the remains of the odd tin mine then yes - exactly like Nebraska .

That last part definitely does not sound like Nebraska. But some of it does sound like around here . . .

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3212
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/4/2019 3:07:50 AM   
shunwick

Here is what happens when you reply to a scam email...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Uc-cztsJo

And this is how the IRS terrorises old ladies about their taxes ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ffRjzNsEJo&list=RDkXzOUcOVl-I&index=11

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 9/4/2019 3:56:22 AM >

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3213
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/4/2019 4:11:00 AM   
RangerJoe

― Julia Child

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3214
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/6/2019 4:14:32 AM   
warspite1

Just started watching BBC's Rise of the Nazis. I have to say that, one episode in, this is extremely well done. The first episode explained in remarkably clear terms, how Hitler (without a majority, with a party that had actually lost seats in the second 1932 election, and with money running out) was able to gain power.

How Hitler was able to actually become Chancellor has always been a hugely interesting part of the Nazi story - and this episode told that story very well with the use of reconstructions and different historians looking at, and providing commentary on, each of the key players (Hitler, von Schleicher, Hindenburg etc).

Well worth a look if you have access to the BBC iplayer.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 9/6/2019 4:23:32 AM >

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3215
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/6/2019 3:58:30 PM   
shunwick

quote:

Just started watching BBC's Rise of the Nazis. I have to say that, one episode in, this is extremely well done. The first episode explained in remarkably clear terms, how Hitler (without a majority, with a party that had actually lost seats in the second 1932 election, and with money running out) was able to gain power.

How Hitler was able to actually become Chancellor has always been a hugely interesting part of the Nazi story - and this episode told that story very well with the use of reconstructions and different historians looking at, and providing commentary on, each of the key players (Hitler, von Schleicher, Hindenburg etc).

Well worth a look if you have access to the BBC iplayer.

Well put together and highly recommended. Looking forward to the next episode.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3216
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/6/2019 6:23:44 PM   
RangerJoe

I wonder if it is available elsewhere than England . . .

< Message edited by RangerJoe -- 9/6/2019 6:28:46 PM >

― Julia Child

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3217
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/13/2019 5:31:33 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

I wonder if it is available elsewhere than England . . .
warspite1

I hope you found it - second episode in (sadly only in 3 parts) and it remains excellent.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3218
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/13/2019 7:12:16 AM   
RFalvo69

The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix. Very atmospheric and eerie, well written with no gratuitous jump scares (but there are some when needed) and a cast of well rounded characters. I binge-watched the first three episodes, and the acting (both by the adults and their kids counterparts in the flashbacks) is top notch (again: kudos to the children; they convincingly sell the emotional payload of their characters while maintaining their diverse spectrum of personalities).

The creator, Mike Flanagan, has a strange career: every then and now he appears, drops a good-to-great horror movie (Absentia, Oculus, Hush, Before I Wake...) and everybody gushes about it; but, then, he just seems to disappear again from public consciousness. I hope that this series and the upcoming Doctor Sleep (a direct sequel to The Shining!) will put him more on the radar. I mean... to challenge STANLEY KUBRICK on his own turf you must have balls.

< Message edited by RFalvo69 -- 9/13/2019 7:15:33 AM >

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3219
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/14/2019 3:04:03 PM   
warspite1

Thought I'd give Temple a go - as it features a strong cast: Mark Strong (Kingsman), Carice van Houten (Game of Thrones) and Daniel Mays (Line of Duty).

That was a mistake...... 8 episodes later (almost back to back) and I've finished the series. Absolutely bonkers bananas brilliant!

Well worth a look if you fancy the whole doctor sets up an illegal practice underground courtesy of a prepper he treated following a car crash and there, seeks to keep his wife alive - a wife that 'died' following an illness she was trying to cure with her friend who was having an affair with her husband....type thing....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 9/15/2019 5:06:14 AM >

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 3220
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/15/2019 12:58:44 AM   
Model1950

+1

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3221
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/18/2019 7:18:09 AM   
dengken

of course - speed and passion

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3222
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/18/2019 8:05:30 AM   
RFalvo69

I’m listening to the three “Alien” audiobooks. They were commissioned by Fox to cover the period between “Alien” and “Aliens” - and so they are canon. Also, for the audio version, they are adapted in “drama” form, with actors, audio effects, ominous music and so on. I’m halfway the third one. Overall, a great experience (and much better than the two prequels - not that one needed much effort...)

Edit: this is not, of course, something I’m “watching”, but when I listen to them the mind’s eye almost sees what it is happening. They are not simple audiobooks.

< Message edited by RFalvo69 -- 9/18/2019 8:26:46 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3223
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/18/2019 7:12:33 PM   
Orm

Been home sick for a while now, and watching old films to cheer me up. First out was, A Bridge Too Far, followed by Gettysburg, then Rob Roy, and last Glory.

What to watch now, is the question.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 3224
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/18/2019 7:28:59 PM   
RangerJoe

The lost battalion is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyJwtC8kwJM

or another one based on a true story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwZbFtM_AAc

― Julia Child

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3225
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/18/2019 7:31:00 PM   
Orm

The lost battalion it is. Thank you.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3226
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/18/2019 7:48:10 PM   
RangerJoe

You are welcome. It is based on a true story.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3227
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/18/2019 8:48:38 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

The lost battalion is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyJwtC8kwJM

I wrote a Call of Cthulhu RPG scenario based on “The Lost Battalion”. Watching the movie was mandatory homework for the players. The end experience was very intense.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3228
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/26/2019 2:25:18 AM   
Grubwurm

The complete - Apocalypse The Second World War
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_LwdbFDuH0&list=PLQv7ILzUxt5Y-G-r0zg2hVcuwg7jgHkKk

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 3229
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/29/2019 10:45:00 AM   
Red2112

Tank Convoy - Operation Market Garden - 75th anniversary...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKY6ms6V2FI

Red

(in reply to Grubwurm)
Post #: 3230
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/29/2019 2:24:52 PM   
Chickenboy

Warspite1 will appreciate this:

We just showed our daughter Titanic. IMO, a wonderfully crafted piece of cinematic history.

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 3231
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/29/2019 6:47:34 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Warspite1 will appreciate this:

We just showed our daughter Titanic. IMO, a wonderfully crafted piece of cinematic history.
warspite1

Excellent. Never too young to get exposed to well written, well acted, historically accurate films with a realistic storyline.

I trust Pearl Harbor or perhaps U-571 will be next.....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 9/29/2019 7:15:35 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3232
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/29/2019 6:50:19 PM   
warspite1

....anyways....

Tonight the BBC are showing the first episode of a series set in WWII - although I think they made a mistake as they seems to believe it began in September 1939 and not December 1941....

No idea if this is going to be any good but there are two reasons for giving it a go:

a) it's set in WWII
b) it stars SHAAUUNNN BBEEAAANNNN!!!!!!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/10012588/world-on-fire-bbc-drama-trailer-cast/

Fingers crossed it doesn't do a Titanic and totally stink the place out (in my personal opinion).

Eee-bye-gum, I wonder if I'll be beheaded again?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 9/29/2019 7:09:43 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3233
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/29/2019 8:06:25 PM   
Zorch

quote:

....anyways....

Tonight the BBC are showing the first episode of a series set in WWII - although I think they made a mistake as they seems to believe it began in September 1939 and not December 1941....

No idea if this is going to be any good but there are two reasons for giving it a go:

a) it's set in WWII

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/10012588/world-on-fire-bbc-drama-trailer-cast/

Fingers crossed it doesn't do a Titanic and totally stink the place out (in my personal opinion).

Is it true that Sean Bean played the ship in Titanic?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3234
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/30/2019 12:31:04 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3235
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/30/2019 6:15:27 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

....anyways....

a) it's set in WWII

Is it true that Sean Bean played the ship in Titanic?
warspite1

No, but he was in it - he appeared as the fourth stack. He did all his own stunts too - including the scene where the giant funnel collapses under its own weight when the ship sinks. Impressive but sadly no Oscar.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3236
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/30/2019 6:25:00 AM   
warspite1

quote:

....anyways....

a) it's set in WWII

warspite1

Mmmmm.... one episode in and its erm... okay. There are a few 'obvious' things that grate - but sadly these are all too predictable and so I find I just have to ignore them. Overall though I think this is worth sticking with - and in Bean and Manville there are two great actor/actress on show. Perhaps the most shocking thing about the episode was Helen Hunt's face. Why oh why do they do that to themselves - grow old gracefully woman!!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3237
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/30/2019 7:20:03 AM   
Orm

quote:

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3238
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/30/2019 7:26:44 AM   
Orm

Continued watching old films. Lost Battalion was up first. Then I felt I needed to watch Titanic so that I could form an opinion on recent topics. Continued with The Battle of the River Plate, which was a huge disappointment. And followed that with The Longest Day. Took a break from war films with Spetters. And lastly, a more modern war film, in We Were Soldiers.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3239
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/30/2019 8:02:29 AM   
Orm

Forgot to mention that I watched True Lies as well.

Edit: And I also watched Young Guns.

< Message edited by Orm -- 9/30/2019 8:07:23 AM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3240
Page:   <<   < prev  106 107 [108] 109 110   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  106 107 [108] 109 110   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI