Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Initial Impressions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat – The Bloody First >> Initial Impressions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Initial Impressions - 10/3/2019 3:56:37 PM   
wodin

Using a custom zoom they aren't that detailed. Again Graviteam Tactics is far superior in this respect.

Initial impressions are OK. Feels like a CC game is a tick. Feels like a big leap forward for the series, doesn't seem so. Again struggling to work out why bother going all through a new engine when the difference between the old CC and this feels pretty negligible, except for 3D map.

For an RTS WW2 game it's a good one compared to more arcade type games, compared to say GRaviteam tactics it falls far behind. A shame really. I was hoping for No1 tactical spot challenger. Currently for me it isn't.

Again want to reiterate it isn't a bad game it's a solid CC type release. Just not a new advanced evolution of CC though.

Personally I'd rather have more indepth\detailed and immersive gameplay than a 3d map\engine. SO much could have been done like advanced comms and FOW, SOP's, more detailed orders things like keeping Inf behind your tank when moving both forward and bounding overwatch more detailed fighting in buildings like blowing through walls room to room fighting etc. All this is what would truely make a tactical classic.

< Message edited by wodin -- 10/3/2019 3:58:04 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Initial Impressions - 10/3/2019 4:03:32 PM   
IainMcNeil

Thanks Wodin,

the old code base was a dead end so we really had to remake the game before we think about these cool new features. This is a starting point. It was just a lot more work to get here than we initially planned because CC has evolved over years and has so many features you don't even notice are there.

Getting the wish list of what happens next is really useful. Bear in mind we need to be able to feed it all back to the player and I think this is where we need most work at the moment. A lot is going on the player still cant see.

If we have captured the feel of CC and in a new engine that is future proof then I'm happy we have a great starting point to push ahead.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2
RE: Initial Impressions - 10/3/2019 4:06:13 PM   
zakblood

removed now replied to

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 3
RE: Initial Impressions - 10/3/2019 4:44:58 PM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: IainMcNeil

Thanks Wodin,

the old code base was a dead end so we really had to remake the game before we think about these cool new features. This is a starting point. It was just a lot more work to get here than we initially planned because CC has evolved over years and has so many features you don't even notice are there.

Getting the wish list of what happens next is really useful. Bear in mind we need to be able to feed it all back to the player and I think this is where we need most work at the moment. A lot is going on the player still cant see.

If we have captured the feel of CC and in a new engine that is future proof then I'm happy we have a great starting point to push ahead.

You've definitely got the CC vibe going here Iain! If this is the base for future games with new features then your on the right track.

As mentioned in another post, a few games in it's given me a CLose Combat Moment which is the kind of narrative CC was always great at.

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 4
RE: Initial Impressions - 10/3/2019 7:23:45 PM   
Werewolf13

quote:

Initial impressions are OK. Feels like a CC game is a tick. Feels like a big leap forward for the series, doesn't seem so. Again struggling to work out why bother going all through a new engine when the difference between the old CC and this feels pretty negligible, except for 3D map.
NOTE: Emphasis mine...

Based on the marketing speak built around The Bloody 1st the quote above is what I too was expecting. My finger was on the buy button. But after the long wait and some consideration I decided not to break my long standing rule about checking out the forums prior to buying. All it took was the statement above and it appears that there is more waiting in this one's future for The Bloody First.

I'll buy it, eventualy, when the features Wodin mentioned and the implied promise by Mr. McNeil that new features (not necessarily those Wodin mentions) would be added over time come to fruition.

For now, The Bloody First will remain on both my Steam and Matrix wish lists.

< Message edited by Werewolf13 -- 10/3/2019 7:25:01 PM >

Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 5
RE: Initial Impressions - 10/3/2019 8:07:38 PM   
wodin

Werewolf It's just my opinion. It's a good game. Lovely long firefights. That was my big wish, and I got it. It just feels like I had that anyway with CC2 and other tactical wargames. I'm pining for innovation or finally a tactical wargame to get all those asked for feature sin a tactical altogether in one package.

Hopefully future CC will grow and if not STeel Tigers hits the spot:)

(in reply to Werewolf13)
Post #: 6
RE: Initial Impressions - 10/3/2019 10:04:50 PM   
Divadov

Good sensations for this new release of Close Combat series.

I must to get used at new 3D mode but I think that will be fine to play the 3 campaigns. I play in a laptop and I would need a little more zoom and for the moment the multiplayer mode don't works.

The pop-up with information of the platoon is a good think and animation of skirmish are better than olders.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 7
RE: Initial Impressions - 10/3/2019 10:31:40 PM   
SteveMcClaire

Divadov -- Did you change the game language settings? The first time you switch to another language you will need to exit the game and return before the multiplayer screen will load correctly. This issue will be fixed in an update.

If you're unable to log in due to serial number / Slitherine account issues please post in the support forum.

(in reply to Divadov)
Post #: 8
RE: Initial Impressions - 10/4/2019 12:12:06 AM   
Blond_Knight

Meh.

I bought this on a whim this morning when I read it used the Archon engine and would include what I assumed would be the normal Archon editor(for map making).
And it probably will eventually.
As previously mentioned the camera controls seem constrained/limited. What really bothers me though is that the tanks still do that twisting/twitching thing from previous CC games. And that the AI seems to make contact and stop, not aggressively push.

(in reply to SteveMcClaire)
Post #: 9
RE: Initial Impressions - 10/4/2019 11:18:23 AM   
Divadov

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve McClaire

Divadov -- Did you change the game language settings? The first time you switch to another language you will need to exit the game and return before the multiplayer screen will load correctly. This issue will be fixed in an update.

If you're unable to log in due to serial number / Slitherine account issues please post in the support forum.

Not, I'm not change the language but I see that other people has the same problem.

Test F8 is interesting!!!

Post #: 10
RE: Initial Impressions - 10/4/2019 1:28:43 PM   
Blond_Knight

Another thing I noticed is you cannot give units multiple waypoints as you could in previous CC games.

I did edit my usermap file to Wodin's values and personally I think it makes the maps much more attractive. The black sky doesnt detract at all imo.

(in reply to Divadov)
Post #: 11
RE: Initial Impressions - 10/4/2019 1:32:00 PM   
wodin

Yeah, I found things became much clearer..

(in reply to Blond_Knight)
Post #: 12
RE: Initial Impressions - 10/4/2019 1:52:20 PM   
budd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blond_Knight

Another thing I noticed is you cannot give units multiple waypoints as you could in previous CC games.

I did edit my usermap file to Wodin's values and personally I think it makes the maps much more attractive. The black sky doesnt detract at all imo.

Hold the shift key as you plot and you can give multiple waypoints.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Post #: 13
RE: Initial Impressions - 10/4/2019 4:06:08 PM   
Blond_Knight

I tried that last night. Maybe I was too ham-handed.

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 14
RE: Initial Impressions - 10/4/2019 4:26:34 PM   
canuckgamer

Wodin, just curious, can you play Graviteam multiplayer. Not interested in any game that doesn't have that option.

Post #: 15
RE: Initial Impressions - 10/4/2019 4:28:28 PM   
budd

quote:

ORIGINAL: canuckgamer

Wodin, just curious, can you play Graviteam multiplayer. Not interested in any game that doesn't have that option.

Nope, you can see the option in the menu grayed out, but...not yet.

(in reply to canuckgamer)
Post #: 16
RE: Initial Impressions - 10/4/2019 4:32:54 PM   
budd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blond_Knight

I tried that last night. Maybe I was too ham-handed.

It is trouble some to do sometimes, maybe i'm ham handed also. I find plotting one order than while the same unit is highlighted hold shift and give another, kind of a two part, seems easier than holding shift and plotting continuous orders but i have had it work both ways. Think i'm going to try the classic orders thing in the options.

Post #: 17
RE: Initial Impressions - 10/4/2019 5:24:08 PM   
ceb2

No, you guys are not ham-fisted at all. I'm having the same problem with assigning waypoints. It works but intermittently. Not anywhere near as fluid as the other CC games. Seems there is a disconnect at times with using the Shift key and mouse combo.

My initial impression of the game as of now is I'm feeling the CC atmosphere and to me that is the most important aspect for me. After seven years since the last CC game I'm a bit disappointed that the graphics aren't more advanced but I'm still happy with the overall look of the game in 3D. One bug I'm repeatedly experiencing is that after I enter a battle save the game freezes and I have to ctrl-alt-tab out to exit the game. Thankfully it does register the save and it's there when I start the game again.

I'm another player that hopes the devs fix the accuracy of armor and artillery shots as that is the biggest gripe currently. I'm looking forward to the first patch and more improvements as the game matures.

Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase.

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 18
RE: Initial Impressions - 10/4/2019 8:25:22 PM   
SteveMcClaire

Part of the difference in the way 'wapoints' work in TBF is because the game now allows you to string together any orders you want, not just set waypoints for a single type of movement. So you can hold shift and 'Fast', then 'Sneak', then 'Move', then set 'Fire' orders for three targets and it will queue them all up.

(in reply to ceb2)
Post #: 19
RE: Initial Impressions - 10/5/2019 4:47:50 AM   
Saturnian

I think that for a first release on the new engine it isn't bad. Feels a little bit bland but I'm hoping that in future releases we'll see an improvement in graphics(which are acceptable) and hopefully multi-storey buildings. EDIT: They look much cleaner when I increased the resolution.

What I didn't like was how much was missing. Like I can't click on individual soldiers and issuing move and fire orders feels defective(EDIT: I was able to fix this by adjusting the settings/options including 'deselect on order'). I also don't see a command radius when I click the spacebar and can't tell the terrain cover by clicking on it.

My advice is that, if you don't like what you see or if the gameplay feels off, mess with the settings a bit. it worked for me. I think there may be some bugs but I was able to bypass them and improve the graphics/gameplay drastically.

I was already impressed and now I am much, much more impressed by this new engine.

< Message edited by Saturnian -- 10/5/2019 6:04:49 AM >

Post #: 20
RE: Initial Impressions - 10/5/2019 1:22:49 PM   
uneducated

quote:

GRaviteam tactics

I hope that the development team look at some information visualization approaches and make it possible to enable some of them in the game view.

https://informationisbeautiful.net/ is a good starting place.

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 21
RE: Initial Impressions - 10/5/2019 5:09:26 PM   
Divadov

After some hours of playing there are 3 tips that I don't like:

- Map in upper left dont rotate with the main map: In Omaha Beach you start with the main map upside down about the other.

- Putting the mouse in the map you cant see the height of terrain, with olders series there will be possible.

- To move in steps you must order the first point, select the unit again, push Shift+2WP, select the unit again push Shift+WP3, etc. In the old versions you can put waypoints directly in the first step more easy.

< Message edited by Divadov -- 10/5/2019 7:31:37 PM >

(in reply to uneducated)
Post #: 22
RE: Initial Impressions - 10/5/2019 7:44:03 PM   
STIENER

I want to see the next new CC go back to the GTC style strat map...not this linear type like CC3 and be able to fight both allies AND GERMANS like GTC...proper force pools for both sides etc. I don't know why matrix thinks a linear strat is a step forward and only able to really play one side is a step forward. IMO this really blows for multiplayer...the german player having NO continuity.

(in reply to Divadov)
Post #: 23
RE: Initial Impressions - 10/6/2019 4:40:19 AM   
surfcandy

Thought it was a no brainer but the reviews on Steam are tanking.

(in reply to STIENER)
Post #: 24
RE: Initial Impressions - 10/6/2019 8:19:21 AM   
Saturnian

What I always loved most about Close Combat was the connection you develop with the soldiers and this aspect of the game really does shine in TBF. In previous releases you lost your soldiers when placing them back in the 'force pool'. Now this is not so, you keep them and wounded can even RETURN in subsequent operations. This is an awesome leap forward and hasn't really been marketed as a selling point in the game, when it is. Now I don't find myself resetting my PC like I did in CC2 when my favorite soldier gets wounded, because there is a chance he will return to fight another day

(in reply to surfcandy)
Post #: 25
RE: Initial Impressions - 10/6/2019 5:18:37 PM   
Bradley62

The infantry combat is very good and realistic. Morale can be very fragile. Mistakes are unforgiving, you'll pay a price for unsupported advances. Good cover is everything. Under constant fire, suppression will wear on your soldiers and take its toll. I feel like I'm playing with real soldiers, having played CC and CM2 since the beginning. I think the developer has captured this, well done.

(in reply to Saturnian)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat – The Bloody First >> Initial Impressions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI