Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ammunition for 60mm mortars

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat – The Bloody First >> Ammunition for 60mm mortars Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ammunition for 60mm mortars - 10/7/2019 9:54:49 PM   
bob999

I have played 2 scenarios of Tunisia (the Longstops), but I've played them twice. This is my first CC game. I decided to swap one of my rifle squads for a 60mm mortar.

How many effective "barrages" can on-board 60mm mortars make? I first acquired a large German MG squad. Fire was eventually successful (apparently 2-3 rounds, judging from the "thump" noises), breaking the unit. When I shifted fire to a second MG squad the targeting went as before but then the messages were that the target was out of range or had no line-of-sight. The gunner was no longer manning his mortar, but appeared to be carrying a carbine. When I moved the squad up into rifle range (no comments, please), the unit would engage as normal infantry. They also seemed have left their mortar behind, because they moved as quickly as a BAR team.

So: 1) how many barrages, and 2) do they really abandon the mortars (and should I worry)?
Post #: 1
RE: Ammunition for 60mm mortars - 10/7/2019 10:57:47 PM   
CGGrognard

Mortar teams carry ~24 rounds and more effective when they can spot, or have someone spot the target for them. The only time that they abandon their tubes (that I see) is when they are out of ammo. Perhaps if they are routed they will abandon their tube then as well.
I would suggest if you are using the same mortar team through out battles, check the tool tip to ensure they still have their tube.

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu

(in reply to bob999)
Post #: 2
RE: Ammunition for 60mm mortars - 10/8/2019 7:14:09 AM   
uneducated

Thanks.

How can you get the mortar team to spot for itself?
How can you have it cease fire?
Also, if you target a unit for mortar fire, then sort some other battlefield issue, when you return, the target might have moved. Will the mortar crew be tracking that target, or continuing to fire into that empty patch of ground?

quote:

ORIGINAL: CGGrognard

Mortar teams carry ~24 rounds and more effective when they can spot, or have someone spot the target for them. The only time that they abandon their tubes (that I see) is when they are out of ammo. Perhaps if they are routed they will abandon their tube then as well.
I would suggest if you are using the same mortar team through out battles, check the tool tip to ensure they still have their tube.

(in reply to CGGrognard)
Post #: 3
RE: Ammunition for 60mm mortars - 10/8/2019 6:43:25 PM   
CGGrognard

If you place the mortar team on a high ridge or hill, then they will be able to spot the targets. However this could expose them to being spotted themselves.
As long as the mortar team can spot their target, they will follow them as best as possible. If they lose contact, then they will fire at the last known position.
To stop mortar fire, set them on Ambush.
Remember, once you target a spot, it will remain for that mortar team throughout the battle. In effect, the mortar team won’t have to zero in again.

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu

(in reply to uneducated)
Post #: 4
RE: Ammunition for 60mm mortars - 10/9/2019 10:54:58 AM   
uneducated

What is the indication that a map location has been successfully targetted?

For example, you might anticipate troops arriving at a point and wish to start firing there before they arrive so later on, the moment the enemy has appeared there, you can hit them first time.

(in reply to CGGrognard)
Post #: 5
RE: Ammunition for 60mm mortars - 10/10/2019 12:12:04 PM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: uneducated

For example, you might anticipate troops arriving at a point and wish to start firing there before they arrive so later on, the moment the enemy has appeared there, you can hit them first time.

Not possible..would be good though.

(in reply to uneducated)
Post #: 6
RE: Ammunition for 60mm mortars - 10/10/2019 3:01:14 PM   
SteveMcClaire

quote:

ORIGINAL: uneducated

A red targeting marker will appear on the map once a mortar team has put a round near enough to the target. You can continue to fire at locations near (30m) that marker without the targeting delay. You can do what you're describing but you'd have to shoot a few rounds at the location and then cancel the fire order as soon as the target marker appears on the map.

If the mortar team moves any significant distance during a battle they lose all their registered targets.

(in reply to uneducated)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat – The Bloody First >> Ammunition for 60mm mortars Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI