Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Are Oldtimers Getting Shut Out?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Are Oldtimers Getting Shut Out? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Are Oldtimers Getting Shut Out? - 10/10/2019 1:25:51 AM   
MrsWargamer

With regards to OSs, well, I know this much, until an OS is created that can go more than 5 years without being in dire need of being replaced, or requiring it be turned off and then back on to perform routine upgrade/pastches, the world will have little reason to fear the 'Rise of the Machines'.

As a long time wargamer, I'm not remotely impressed with the state of AI. So what if it can play a good game of Chess, can it understand Sealion?
All the power that we have in hardware, but the software is still unimpressively dismal.

Nope, not interested in uploading my mind to a machine. I'll take my chances in an organic replicating/repairing shell.
And I ain't getting on any sort of space craft for any far off long term voyage to the middle of deep space just yet.

I'm using Windows 10, it came on the new computer. I wasn't having any trouble with 8.5 and 7 was ok as well.
I should have kept an old clunker running Windows 98 considering some of our greatest wargames prefer our old 486 machines.

I don't buy Windows versions. I get them on new rigs. And I only get a new rig when the current machine dies.
It's nice that wargame software needs is often several years behind the current must have gear needed for the current spiffy glitzy mainstream games (which I don't play). "Oh I can't run this" has never happened to me with wargames.

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 31
RE: Are Oldtimers Getting Shut Out? - 10/10/2019 4:11:53 AM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

It's nice that wargame software needs is often several years behind the current must have gear needed for the current spiffy glitzy mainstream games (which I don't play).

I have here an old desktop from 2012 that runs great majority of the newest and fanciest games, even BATTLETECH, DOOM (with reduced resolution, and Project CARS 2. Turn resolution down, anti-aliasing and ray-tracing off, and any game works just fine.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 32
RE: Are Oldtimers Getting Shut Out? - 10/10/2019 5:45:05 AM   
stuart3

quote:

Windows 10 works well

Microsoft recently sent me an information sheet warning me of Win7's impending demise. When I clicked on the option for further information I was informed that Microsoft no longer recommend updating older PCs with Windows 10 (despite the fact that four years ago I had to fight off their attempts to force it onto the same machine). I am certain that it was pure coincidence that this negative information was followed by an advert for their latest Surface Pro series machines. Nevertheless, I will follow the manufacturer's advice and not spend £100 purchasing as OS that Microsoft themselves recommend me to not install.

quote:

You can also buy an expansion card with USB 3 ports and plug it in the mother board.

Yes, but older processors, including my 2nd gen i5 are not fully compatible with USB3. That's why VR headset manufacturers specify that 4th gen and later processors are required.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 33
RE: Are Oldtimers Getting Shut Out? - 10/10/2019 6:27:25 AM   
zakblood

not paid a penny for windows 10, have it installed on all 7 pc's owned in the house, laptops, tablets and pc's etc, all on the free upgrade and all worked fine on reinstalls even though i have no serial number for any now

(in reply to stuart3)
Post #: 34
RE: Are Oldtimers Getting Shut Out? - 10/10/2019 11:41:13 AM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: stuart3

quote:

Windows 10 works well

quote:

You can also buy an expansion card with USB 3 ports and plug it in the mother board.

Yes, but older processors, including my 2nd gen i5 are not fully compatible with USB3. That's why VR headset manufacturers specify that 4th gen and later processors are required.

If the USB port is blue, it only supports USB 2.0. If it's black, it supports USB 3.0. Although not every PC maker follows this.

(in reply to stuart3)
Post #: 35
RE: Are Oldtimers Getting Shut Out? - 10/10/2019 12:02:30 PM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe Meyer

I'm still using Windows XP as my Operating System simply because I like it and I've taken all of the precautions to keep it safe. Yet, the game developers are claiming that it is much too tedious to support XP in all of their new offerings. So for those of us like me who've not breathlessly run out to purchase a new computer we've now become the shunned. We are now the stupid people who can't keep up with modern technology. It's fashionable to regards XP users as losers, too old and dumb to realize what they are missing, too dense to understand that the world won't standstill for just them, too obnoxious to believe that there is such a thing as obsolete!

I used to be able to dial up Steam and play a nice little solitaire game of Atlantic Fleet. Can't do that anymore! Can't do a lot of things like that anymore!

Honestly XP is getting rather old. At some point you have to upgrade considering the speed of technology these days it's amazing XP can still cut it.

Since the first computers after just a few years they become outdated. I can't remember when XP came out but it must be what 15 years old by now. as someone said was the commodore 64 still being accounted for 15 years after release? Unlikely.

If you want to game digitally then upgrading is part of the course, like it or not. If you don't then you can either stick with the old games or go back to boardgames. That's the choice.

Not sure you can really complain that much about XP not being supported anymore. There have been three new WIn OS since then 7,8 and 10. 10 was given out for free in it's first couple of months too.

(in reply to Joe Meyer)
Post #: 36
RE: Are Oldtimers Getting Shut Out? - 10/10/2019 2:18:08 PM   
Zorch

'Supposedly' Windows 10 will be the last version of Windows; Microsoft will keep updating it forever.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 37
RE: Are Oldtimers Getting Shut Out? - 10/10/2019 4:55:51 PM   
Zovs

Maybe it will be Window 20

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 38
RE: Are Oldtimers Getting Shut Out? - 10/10/2019 5:04:12 PM   
Lobster

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 39
RE: Are Oldtimers Getting Shut Out? - 10/10/2019 6:42:37 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

Nevertheless, I will follow the manufacturer's advice and not spend £100 purchasing as OS that Microsoft themselves recommend me to not install.

You don't have to. You can download Win10 from Internet and install it with older Windows product key.

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

If you want to game digitally then upgrading is part of the course, like it or not. If you don't then you can either stick with the old games or go back to boardgames. That's the choice.

I say it again: new games are still made for old hardware. Even older than Commodore 64. There are even new operating systems for them. Does this message get through?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to stuart3)
Post #: 40
RE: Are Oldtimers Getting Shut Out? - 10/10/2019 7:21:27 PM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

quote:

Nevertheless, I will follow the manufacturer's advice and not spend £100 purchasing as OS that Microsoft themselves recommend me to not install.

You don't have to. You can download Win10 from Internet and install it with older Windows product key.

quote:

I say it again: new games are still made for old hardware. Even older than Commodore 64. There are even new operating systems for them. Does this message get through?

Yeah I know at some point all support etc stops....

just messing.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 41
RE: Are Oldtimers Getting Shut Out? - 10/10/2019 7:32:25 PM   
stuart3

quote:

I don't have a Windows product key. Like the vast majority of users, I buy my computers pre- built and with the operating system pre-installed.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 42
RE: Are Oldtimers Getting Shut Out? - 10/10/2019 7:38:27 PM   
Zovs

There s/b a key you just have to dig for it. IIRC it’s buried deep somewhere.

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

(in reply to stuart3)
Post #: 43
RE: Are Oldtimers Getting Shut Out? - 10/10/2019 7:38:36 PM   
wodin

quote:

quote:

I don't have a Windows product key. Like the vast majority of users, I buy my computers pre- built and with the operating system pre-installed.

You should still have the serial number. Only if you bought WIn10 as download or got it free you don't need one, the microsoft website though will know you have it so you can install it again etc.

(in reply to stuart3)
Post #: 44
RE: Are Oldtimers Getting Shut Out? - 10/10/2019 8:12:45 PM   
stuart3

quote:

quote:

quote:

You should still have the serial number. Only if you bought WIn10 as download or got it free you don't need one, the microsoft website though will know you have it so you can install it again etc.

Ok. Found it. I hadn't previously looked for something that I didn't know I had. But as far as I am aware, Microsoft only upgraded for free in Win 10's first year and they have been charging for it since.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 45
RE: Are Oldtimers Getting Shut Out? - 10/10/2019 8:20:40 PM   
USSAmerica

I upgraded both of my computers to Win 10 just before the free year ran out. I haven't regretted it at all.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to stuart3)
Post #: 46
RE: Are Oldtimers Getting Shut Out? - 10/10/2019 8:47:06 PM   
Lobster

When I upgraded to Windows 10 I also kept the Windows 7 OS as a dual boot just in case I didn't like Windows 10 but needed it for newer software. I have never used the Windows 7 OS since.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 47
RE: Are Oldtimers Getting Shut Out? - 10/10/2019 8:59:46 PM   
Erik Rutins

Joe,

I understand you like what you have and I don't know what your budget is, but a new gaming system for even $500 with a newer OS will really open up a whole new world of games to you and everything you already have should run even better than before. Unfortunately, in the internet-connected world, an old OS like Windows XP can't be kept secure. I'd advise keeping your old system around as a backup, but also investing in a new budget gaming system. I think you will enjoy the ride. :-)

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 48
RE: Are Oldtimers Getting Shut Out? - 10/11/2019 1:05:43 AM   
berto

In the past year and a half, I have purchased four refurbished Windows 10 systems (two Dells from Micro Center, two HPs from Fry's) for < $250 each. They all work great.

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 49
RE: Are Oldtimers Getting Shut Out? - 10/11/2019 3:23:11 AM   
wodin

Seems every other WIn OS is good. We had 95 great, 98 hmmm, XP which was good, Vista yuck, 7 good, 8 meh and now 10 which is another good one.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 50
RE: Are Oldtimers Getting Shut Out? - 10/11/2019 3:30:03 AM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

Seems every other WIn OS is good. We had 95 great, 98 hmmm, XP which was good, Vista yuck, 7 good, 8 meh and now 10 which is another good one.

You forgot 98 Second Edition (better than 95 OEM 2) and Millennium Edition.

MekWars

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 51
RE: Are Oldtimers Getting Shut Out? - 10/11/2019 3:54:17 AM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

quote:

You forgot 98 Second Edition (better than 95 OEM 2) and Millennium Edition.

Not including OS updates here otherwise list go on forever..plus who ever had millennium edition??? You certainly like to nitpick

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 52
RE: Are Oldtimers Getting Shut Out? - 10/11/2019 5:05:38 PM   
coachi

Don’t forget what apple’s doing. Dropping all support for 32 bit games. I just got message that half my steam games wont work after my computer auto upgraded.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 53
RE: Are Oldtimers Getting Shut Out? - 10/11/2019 5:14:45 PM   
Zovs

coachi, how do you run window's games on apple? Are all the games on steam compatible with apple?

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

(in reply to coachi)
Post #: 54
RE: Are Oldtimers Getting Shut Out? - 10/11/2019 8:07:49 PM   
Hanal

The same can be said about iPad tablets....I was getting disgusted that so many games will no longer run on my iPad 4 with IOS 10....I eventually decided however that the only option I had was buying a new tablet. Welcome to progress....

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 55
RE: Are Oldtimers Getting Shut Out? - 10/11/2019 11:03:02 PM   
IslandInland

In my analogous life I have a ZX 81. I haven't used it since Sinclair stopped supporting it. I also (in my analogous life) have a lifetime season ticket for telegrams but, once again, I haven't used that since the whole Tesla v Edison AC/DC thing...

War In The East 2 Beta Tester and
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester
XXXCorps

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 56
RE: Are Oldtimers Getting Shut Out? - 10/12/2019 3:20:18 AM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: IslandInland

In my analogous life I have a ZX 81. I haven't used it since Sinclair stopped supporting it. I also (in my analogous life) have a lifetime season ticket for telegrams but, once again, I haven't used that since the whole Tesla v Edison AC/DC thing...

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but Morse code is no longer supported.

(in reply to IslandInland)
Post #: 57
RE: Are Oldtimers Getting Shut Out? - 10/13/2019 6:15:36 AM   
Gilmer

I;m with Larry, though not as old. I went in on Windows 10 when I built the current machine I have in 2016. Hey, I liked/hated the old Dos games where you had to know how to edit the ini lines or whatever, to get some to work. I thought that was a "game" in and of itself. So, now that we have had umpteen Windows, I don't know as much as I used to, I don't think, but I can get build a computer, I can load Windows on it, and I can get older games to run on Windows 10. Always help out there to figure it out.

I have had to figure several out lately, by playing around with the compatibility settings and stuff like that. Not as fun, but once you get the game running, you're glad you figured it out.

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
Post #: 58
RE: Are Oldtimers Getting Shut Out? - 10/13/2019 10:18:25 AM   
demyansk

I have ten years now on my computer. Still working well with a few upgrades.

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 59
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Are Oldtimers Getting Shut Out? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI