Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) Page: <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/21/2019 9:31:55 PM   
BBfanboy

The only reason I can think of for him to move the Burma troops to Georgetown (rather than the other side of the peninsula for evacuation) is to move them over to Sumatra. GT can be isolated easily so making a stand there doesn't make much sense. By now he has to fear your air interdiction around Singapore if he runs convoys of troops through the strait of Malacca. I figure he had ships stranded in the IO and is just using them to move troops to Sumatra to make a longer speed bump.

He must also know that if he cedes Burma you will race to cut off Indo-China at Hanoi/Haiphong/Lang Son. He might be evacuating his best units by land over to China. I think it is too early to cede that much territory, but I don't know where he plans to make his stand. Should be a rip-roaring clash when you both butt heads again!

Attachment (1)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1741
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/21/2019 10:03:02 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwolf

Those are a lot of valuable eggs in Soerabaja's basket. I presume it is secure from enemy air or naval attack.

400+ LBA fighters, 250+ flak, and many hundreds of carrier fighters (mainly on CVs, which are halved in a base hex, but also a handful of CVEs that didn't need to upgrade).

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 1742
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/21/2019 10:04:29 PM   
Canoerebel

He's running the fastest shuttle possible - transports from Rangoon to Georgetown. The ships then return to Rangoon while the troops move a single hex via good road to the railroad, then disperse where needed (Malaya, Thailand, Indochina, China).

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

The only reason I can think of for him to move the Burma troops to Georgetown (rather than the other side of the peninsula for evacuation) is to move them over to Sumatra. GT can be isolated easily so making a stand there doesn't make much sense. By now he has to fear your air interdiction around Singapore if he runs convoys of troops through the strait of Malacca. I figure he had ships stranded in the IO and is just using them to move troops to Sumatra to make a longer speed bump.

He must also know that if he cedes Burma you will race to cut off Indo-China at Hanoi/Haiphong/Lang Son. He might be evacuating his best units by land over to China. I think it is too early to cede that much territory, but I don't know where he plans to make his stand. Should be a rip-roaring clash when you both butt heads again!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1743
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/23/2019 1:04:56 AM   
Canoerebel

9/14/44

DEI: With all my carrier eggs in the Soerabaja basket, Dave ordered a large nighttime raid by Peggys. Allied night fighters performed poorly but the flak was ferocious. No plane survived to drop, and it doesn't appear that Dave got intel as to what was in port. I'm not sure he knows where my carriers are, because he hasn't had any recon or nav search operating. But he may've guessed.

Allied op vs. Ambon should succeed in the next few days. Kendari and Palembang are close to siege-initiating stages. Kendari shouldn't take too long but Palembang may be prolonged.

Another USN CV arrived at Soerabaja. Upgrades are roughly 10-15 days from completion. The remaining time must be profitably used to organize expeditionary forces and get ships, supplies and fuel to the proper ports of embarkation.

Big things will be underway by late September and through the balance of the year.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1744
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/23/2019 2:11:33 AM   
Lovejoy

Looks like Dave remembered his Shakespeare: " The villainy you teach me I will execute," though in this case, he did not better the instruction.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1745
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/23/2019 2:44:48 AM   
Canoerebel

Yes, he did. :)

It was a good idea but I'm glad the Allied flak handled things. I don't think he'll try another nighttime raid. There's a chance - possibly 33% - that he might decide to try a massed daytime raid of carrier air and LBA. It might work. It surely would be costly to him, and there's a chance it would accomplish little, but who knows?

The arrangement suits me, though. The CVEs are mostly disbanded and protected by AA. The fleet carriers are in TFs and protected by LBA and their own fighters (halved). If he does strike it's likely he'd lose far more than he would gain. Or so I think.

(in reply to Lovejoy)
Post #: 1746
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/23/2019 3:12:57 AM   
BBfanboy

Soerabaja's flak was augmented by your fleet. IIRC, ships in TFs contribute their AA to the hex at half strength.

At Palembang, if those two IJA divisions were flown in they will lack all their heavy weapons. They will be much softer than usual.

All those ships at Kendari look like an evacuation.

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 10/23/2019 3:13:14 AM >

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1747
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/23/2019 4:41:11 AM   
T Rav

As always… thank you for your AAR.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1748
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/23/2019 8:41:59 AM   
obvert

quote:

Soerabaja's flak was augmented by your fleet. IIRC, ships in TFs contribute their AA to the hex at half strength.

At Palembang, if those two IJA divisions were flown in they will lack all their heavy weapons. They will be much softer than usual.

Ships in port you mean? Not in TFs?

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1749
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/23/2019 9:21:48 AM   
tarkalak

If I recall correctly only the strike package is halved for CVs in a base hex. The CAP is not.

I do not know what is scarier: that I do understand nothing of this demonic script or that I am starting to see the demons that it evokes.

Me, studying for a PHD entry exam in Applied Mathematics.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1750
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/23/2019 1:19:58 PM   
jwolf

Java looks very pretty now. Congratulations on that successful campaign.

(in reply to tarkalak)
Post #: 1751
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/23/2019 1:38:58 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

Ships in port you mean? Not in TFs?

You may be right about that. I can't recall for sure which was the case. Will check later.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1752
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/23/2019 2:33:13 PM   
Canoerebel

Mark Twain warned us to never get into an argument with an idiot. The same applies to AE rules - don't discuss them with me, 'cause I have no clue and will drag you down to my level and beat you with (in)experience.

But I thought the carrier-in-a-base-hex rule applied to "flight ops" in general, including fighters.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1753
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/23/2019 4:26:01 PM   
Lovejoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

But I thought the carrier-in-a-base-hex rule applied to "flight ops" in general, including fighters.

I think it does apply to fighters.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1754
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/23/2019 4:58:57 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Mark Twain warned us to never get into an argument with an idiot. The same applies to AE rules - don't discuss them with me, 'cause I have no clue and will drag you down to my level and beat you with (in)experience.

The comment I made was on AA, aka Flak values. Nothing to do with fighters. I looked in the manual and there is nothing in the index about flak or anti-aircraft and I couldn't find anything about the subject under ports or Naval (Chapter 6). It may have been one of those things that Alfred posted about way back when. At any rate, I am certain I saw something saying ships in port contribute part of their AA value to defend the base.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1755
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/23/2019 5:00:52 PM   
Canoerebel

Hey, we're even. My comment wasn't directed at your comment. :) It was directed at Tarkalak's comment.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1756
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/23/2019 5:19:32 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Hey, we're even. My comment wasn't directed at your comment. :) It was directed at Tarkalak's comment.

I confess I was venting somewhat after another frustrating attempt to find something in the manual. It may well be there, but without a good index entry I am pretty hopeless at searching now. Too easy for my old eyes and brain to skip over stuff.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1757
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/23/2019 5:44:55 PM   
Canoerebel

I'm bad about not knowing the rules exactly, not looking them up, and asking for input from the Peanut Gallery. I do that on the assumption that folks know and can answer, or that if they don't they enjoy looking it up. I don't expect folks to go to trouble doing things I could be doing for myself.

For the most part, though, I deal with my ignorances and uncertainties in ways I find efficient. With regard to the question whether combat ships contribute CAP to a base, I always base my planning on the worst case scenario. So, if I'm unsure whether fighters contribute CAP, I'll allow for them not to. Here, I had Soerabaja's defenses against air attack situated to my liking. If additional rules or assets added more, great. But my planning was based on the floor rather than the possibility of an unknown ceiling.

I suspect not knowing rules would be intolerable for some players. I prefer to play the game based upon what I know, what I'm pretty sure about, and to make allowances for what I'm uncertain about. That allows me to flip turns and to also move ahead with real life.

Or so I say.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1758
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/24/2019 3:36:52 PM   
Canoerebel

9/15/44 to 9/22/44

DEI: The down-time for the big CVE upgrade is winding down - less than a week left. In the interim, the ground war is going well - Ambon fell, the opening attack at Kendari was encouraging, and the opening attack at Palembang will take place tomorrow. Lots of fresh ships are up. The army and air force is sorted and prepped. Supplies are in good shape. The fuel situation is more iffy but steps have been taken to make it work.

The Allied plan is set. The opening targets will be Samarinda/Balikpapan. Immediately thereafter, a much bigger operation will get under way.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1759
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/24/2019 3:48:18 PM   
BillBrown

quote:

quote:

I confess I was venting somewhat after another frustrating attempt to find something in the manual. It may well be there, but without a good index entry I am pretty hopeless at searching now. Too easy for my old eyes and brain to skip over stuff.

When you install the game, there is a manual subfolder that has the manual in it. You can search it electronically, much
easier than the written manual.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1760
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/24/2019 4:27:57 PM   
jwolf

Isn't Java pretty much self-sufficient in producing fuel for the fleet? Even with damage to the facilities, wouldn't they be repaired by now?

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 1761
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/24/2019 4:40:46 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

quote:

quote:

When you install the game, there is a manual subfolder that has the manual in it. You can search it electronically, much
easier than the written manual.

There was an upgrade to Adobe Acrobat and after that it would not open the electronic manual. I figure the old PDF version must not work with whatever Adobe has out now.

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 1762
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/24/2019 4:41:45 PM   
Canoerebel

Oil production is repairing - up to about 131, with the refinery at about 115. I don't know how much daily fuel that translates to. I do know that the fleet sucked everything dry, including several dozen AOs. Once they were topped off, AO and TK deliveries could work on creating a reserve, which now stands at about 75k fuel. From what I've seen thus far, the enormous Allied fleet will need far more fuel than Java can produce.

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 1763
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/24/2019 5:23:10 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

Oil production is repairing - up to about 131, with the refinery at about 115. I don't know how much daily fuel that translates to. I do know that the fleet sucked everything dry, including several dozen AOs. Once they were topped off, AO and TK deliveries could work on creating a reserve, which now stands at about 75k fuel. From what I've seen thus far, the enormous Allied fleet will need far more fuel than Java can produce.

Once my invasion of the Home Islands got under way I had 6 tanker TFs plying back and forth between LA (my main fuel depot) and the HI. The smallest carried 192k while the largest carried 323k.

Even with those dedicated TFs working there were several points where I had to empty the 4-6 on station AO TFs to ensure an adequate supply of fuel at the front.

The Allied fleet in '44-46 has a very heavy thirst.

Hans

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1764
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/25/2019 6:09:10 PM   
Canoerebel

9/23/44 and 9/24/44

DEI: Opening probing attack at Palembang yields favorable results. There's rot in the defense, and the base is likely to fall within a month. So the three bases targeted during the "CVE upgrade interval" - Palembang, Kendari and Ambon - have or will fall sooner than originally expected. This will promote security for Allied shipping and make future Allied ops more efficient (less worry about enemy attacks).

The Allies are chomping at the bit, ready to go as soon as the CVEs finish their upgrades. CV Ticonderoga should arrive in time to participate.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 1765
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/25/2019 6:21:43 PM   
BBfanboy

Your preponderance in vehicles and engineers will give you fast fort reduction and greater ability to maintain the attack than he has maintaining the defence. I give Palembang a week.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1766
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/25/2019 6:36:46 PM   
Canoerebel

Well that sounds good. And some big reinforcements are inbound too.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1767
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/26/2019 11:18:09 AM   
Canoerebel

9/26/44

DEI: KB sighted at Manila; DS sorties for quickie raid vs. massed enemy shipping at exposed Balikpapan; third attack at Palembang to take place tomorrow.

The jeep carrier upgrades at Soerabaja should wind up in two or three days. Ground troops may begin loading aboard amphibs the day after tomorrow.

The first strike will be against Samarinda and Balikpapan. Three objectives: (1) further build the Allied security zone; (2) permanently deny Japan the oil; (3) paint a certain picture I intend to use in the following operation.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1768
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/27/2019 7:59:39 PM   
Canoerebel

9/27/44 to 10/1/44

DEI: Both Palembang and Kendari fall on the 1st, giving the Allies the "broad shoulders" desired prior to initiating the next lengthy, intense round of amphibious ops.

And the first of those is already underway, having departed Soerabaja bound for Samarinda/Balikpapan. D-Day should take place on the 3rd.

Samarinda is lightly garrisoned and Balikpapan only modestly so - not as strong as Kendari or Ambon. Dave may have already written these bases off, but he'll have to use KB effectively to have a chance to prevent this.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 10/27/2019 8:01:26 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1769
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/27/2019 9:04:14 PM   
Canoerebel

10/2/44

DEI: Dave unleashes kamikazes, and they are effective despite massive, high-quality CAP.

If this situation deteriorates markedly, I'll revisit my post-Balikpapan plan of going deep. In that case, the Allies would continue to advance strongly but more linearly. Hopefully some adjustments and living a clean life will turn the tables on nefarious Japanese opponent, so that I can go non-linear, which is always fun.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1770
Page:   <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) Page: <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI