Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mountains by the sea

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Armored Brigade >> MODS and Scenarios >> Mountains by the sea Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mountains by the sea - 11/7/2019 3:58:37 PM   
CSO_Talorgan

Would the Armored Brigade map be able to handle great changes of elevation over short distances i.e. mountainous terrain?

I wondered about Norway's fjords, where the sea finds its way between huge mountains.
Post #: 1
RE: Mountains by the sea - 11/7/2019 5:12:54 PM   
CCIP-subsim

I haven't tried, but I believe the answer is yes. There does seem to be a limit to how sharp cliffs can be, and I don't think 90 degrees (or more) is possible, but it will change relatively sharply.

And I'm not sure if my reading of it is correct, but from what I understand the elevation map goes in 1m increments and can handle 255x255 colours = 65025m elevation variance, which is a lot more than is actually found on earth

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure that my Chechnya map (only parts of which are currently finished/released) has over 1km elevation differences, and seems to work fine.

(in reply to CSO_Talorgan)
Post #: 2
RE: Mountains by the sea - 11/7/2019 6:00:50 PM   
exsonic01

If angle is too steep, then AB game engine will recognize area as impossible geometry, so this will be depicted as no-go zone (viewed as rocky terrain tile in game). It is better to escape from too steep terrain.

Except this, I think all will be fine in AB game engine.

(in reply to CCIP-subsim)
Post #: 3
RE: Mountains by the sea - 12/22/2019 10:45:40 PM   
CSO_Talorgan

Excellent news.

Thank you for your answers, Gentlemen.

(in reply to exsonic01)
Post #: 4
RE: Mountains by the sea - 12/23/2019 3:01:16 AM   
Policefreak55

Also for what it's worth, I'm currently working on a Vietnamese map with a section of the Chu Pong Massif... unless I'm going something wrong with converting the heightmap, it does not handle it well lol. The entire massif area is no-go zone, as well as some of the other smaller hilly/mountainous dips in elevation.

(in reply to CSO_Talorgan)
Post #: 5
RE: Mountains by the sea - 12/31/2019 6:12:24 PM   
Fishbreath

I had some similar problems with an SRTM heightmap of Fort Benning, GA. I found that a small Gaussian blur applied to the elevation data in QGIS doesn't distort the elevation very much, and makes a great deal more terrain accessible to Armored Brigade.

(in reply to Policefreak55)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Armored Brigade >> MODS and Scenarios >> Mountains by the sea Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI