Mountains by the sea (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Armored Brigade >> MODS and Scenarios

CSO_Talorgan -> Mountains by the sea (11/7/2019 3:58:37 PM)

Would the Armored Brigade map be able to handle great changes of elevation over short distances i.e. mountainous terrain?

I wondered about Norway's fjords, where the sea finds its way between huge mountains.

CCIP-subsim -> RE: Mountains by the sea (11/7/2019 5:12:54 PM)

I haven't tried, but I believe the answer is yes. There does seem to be a limit to how sharp cliffs can be, and I don't think 90 degrees (or more) is possible, but it will change relatively sharply.

And I'm not sure if my reading of it is correct, but from what I understand the elevation map goes in 1m increments and can handle 255x255 colours = 65025m elevation variance, which is a lot more than is actually found on earth [:)]

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure that my Chechnya map (only parts of which are currently finished/released) has over 1km elevation differences, and seems to work fine.

exsonic01 -> RE: Mountains by the sea (11/7/2019 6:00:50 PM)

If angle is too steep, then AB game engine will recognize area as impossible geometry, so this will be depicted as no-go zone (viewed as rocky terrain tile in game). It is better to escape from too steep terrain.

Except this, I think all will be fine in AB game engine.

CSO_Talorgan -> RE: Mountains by the sea (12/22/2019 10:45:40 PM)

Excellent news.

Thank you for your answers, Gentlemen.

Policefreak55 -> RE: Mountains by the sea (12/23/2019 3:01:16 AM)

Also for what it's worth, I'm currently working on a Vietnamese map with a section of the Chu Pong Massif... unless I'm going something wrong with converting the heightmap, it does not handle it well lol. The entire massif area is no-go zone, as well as some of the other smaller hilly/mountainous dips in elevation.

Fishbreath -> RE: Mountains by the sea (12/31/2019 6:12:24 PM)

I had some similar problems with an SRTM heightmap of Fort Benning, GA. I found that a small Gaussian blur applied to the elevation data in QGIS doesn't distort the elevation very much, and makes a great deal more terrain accessible to Armored Brigade.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI